Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/27/2015 6:46:11 PM   
reggimann

Youtube strategy gamers "thehistoricalgamer" and "Baloogan" will go head to head in WITPAE starting December 7th, posting interactive maps, live stats of units and bases provided by Tracker to a site yet to be made accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShL2RqR3AZU

According to Historicalgamer, the two players have already played PBEM until March of 1942 and will update the site daily.

What do you think? I'm very excited!
Post #: 1
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/27/2015 9:18:50 PM   
BBfanboy

Can't say I'm "excited" - maybe my senior age - but I am intrigued.
Let us know when the site is up and running with content.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 2
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/27/2015 9:43:04 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't know who these people are, but if "Historicalgamer" and "Baloogan" are pseudonyms for "Alfred" and "Nemo121," I'll sit up and take notice.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/27/2015 11:23:44 PM   
robinsa

I am excited for the series as I think it will bring a lot of new players into the game and war gaming in general. This can only be a good thing for all of us. I will also enjoy seeing someone else play this game and maybe I can learn a few things. Anyway, I hope that this is a success and that they get the attention they deserve. (I have not seen any video yet, but just taking on this game on camera is commendable!)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/28/2015 12:46:41 AM   
Rainsong94

This is very true. I think this will the clincher for me to finally purchase WITP after all these years, along with the great price point with the sale. I can't wait to watch and learn from their AAR.

(in reply to robinsa)
Post #: 5
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/28/2015 1:39:00 AM   
Mac Linehan

FightinJoe94-

If you do choose to purchase, I would highly recommend the second edition; WitP Admiral's Edition. A quantum leap over the original (which I also own).

Look forward to your presence on this forum, Sir!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Rainsong94)
Post #: 6
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/28/2015 3:07:26 AM   
JeffroK

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 7
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/29/2015 9:19:39 PM   
reggimann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I don't know who these people are, but if "Historicalgamer" and "Baloogan" are pseudonyms for "Alfred" and "Nemo121," I'll sit up and take notice.

Can you imagine...

Maybe "excited" is too much but I'm loving the fact that someone is putting out content for this great great game at all. There are just not enough videos on YT and these two guys pull in a lot of views from "our kind of people". Baloogan for instance is well respected in the Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations community. So who knows, if things work out we might get an influx of new players. More work for Alfred!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/30/2015 6:25:23 AM   
JocMeister

Anything that gives AE some needed spotlight is a good thing. And Baloogan is well known in other communities and have done a tremendously cool tool for AE. If this could draw in some new blood to AE and this forum it would be a very good thing. I see lots of regulars slowly fading away from the game and forum while there is few to step in and fill the void.

Historical gamer has some 6k YT viewers (me included). Hopefully this can spark an interest in a few of them.

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 9
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/30/2015 11:57:24 AM   
Alfred

quote:

I'm neither of them. I don't hide behind avatar names.

According to that provided link, "Historicalgamer" doesn't have experience playing as Japan. I rather suspect that our dedicated JFB players will squirm at some of the game decisions from "historicalgamer". But then, a mistake is not a mistake if the opponent does not exploit the error.

Alfred

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 11/30/2015 12:09:09 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

According to that provided link, "Historicalgamer" doesn't have experience playing as Japan. I rather suspect that our dedicated JFB players will squirm at some of the game decisions from "historicalgamer". But then, a mistake is not a mistake if the opponent does not exploit the error.

Alfred

I was paying you a compiment in replying lightheartedly (not seriously) to the original post.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/1/2015 1:19:02 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Sounds like great PR for AE. I also hope this serves to bring in new blood.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/3/2015 9:08:33 PM   
Hermit

Apparently they're going to play one turn each real-time day, so it will be up to a 5-year long AAR campaign.

Here's a short (and a bit cheezy) trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD1EVUYap0

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 13
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/3/2015 11:13:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Hopefully their videos will cover lessons learned during the turn so we can see how they progress from newbies to acolytes and beyond. The game's limited graphics of battles are not going to hold attention of casual visitors for long, but discussions of strategies and tactics might get some interest from those who are not all about arcade games.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/4/2015 3:44:38 AM   
Sardaukar

Baloogan is indeed well-known figure in Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations simulator/game (also available on Matrix), being in developer team. He also maintains CMANO chat room and database wiki.

I regularly chat with him and thehistoricalgamer about their ongoing game, it has been quite interesting, including carrier battle near Java.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/4/2015 4:47:27 AM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/4/2015 4:27:28 AM   
Lokasenna

Oy, those Beests on December 22, 1941 in the "trailer." That's a lesson learned right there.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 16
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/4/2015 1:53:08 PM   
Sardaukar

Neither is Witp-AE "pro" like lot of people on this forum, so it is refreshing to see how people new to game play it.

Addiction starts from first enjoyable experience in case of AE.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/4/2015 2:54:16 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 17
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/4/2015 3:13:29 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Baloogan is indeed well-known figure in Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations simulator/game (also available on Matrix), being in developer team. He also maintains CMANO chat room and database wiki.

I regularly chat with him and thehistoricalgamer about their ongoing game, it has been quite interesting, including carrier battle near Java.

I concur and agree wholeheartedly. Until I got sucked into another WITP-AE PBEM, I was quite active on the Command side even publishing a few scenarios. Baloogan is a stand-up guy, and if I had the bandwidth I'd love to play against him in WITP-AE PBEM.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 18
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/6/2015 2:54:24 AM   
Sardaukar

Check this too:

https://coilerscreativecorner.wordpress.com/

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/6/2015 3:55:00 AM >

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 19
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 2:00:18 PM   
AstaSyneri

It is December 7th now, I just bought WitP:AE and I am very much intrigued to see these two guys play. Where is the website? There currently are no videos up that I can see :(.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 20
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 4:52:25 PM   
reggimann

The site is now up: http://www.operationglacier.com/

Still looking around, looks interesting.

(in reply to AstaSyneri)
Post #: 21
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 5:16:41 PM   
Anachro

Very cool...maybe we can get them to show us how to setup such a site in the future? WOuld be nice for all of your AARs as well.

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 22
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 5:32:31 PM   
robinsa

Indeed. Is there anyway to see battle reports and or where battles have taken place in this interface? Would be nice to have the list of ships sunk as well. ;)

This looks promising guys. Thanks.

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 23
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 6:28:19 PM   
reggimann

quote:

ORIGINAL: robinsa
Is there anyway to see battle reports and or where battles have taken place in this interface? Would be nice to have the list of ships sunk as well. ;)

I think so, but I think it's still a bit bugged. Don't know how, but I did once use a map mode where you could click on all kinds of events. Battles, sigint, things of that nature. Right now I can't for the life of me find it again.

(in reply to robinsa)
Post #: 24
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 7:54:30 PM   
GetAssista

Banzi!!! (c)thehistoricalgamer

Great to see more publicity for our favourite game!

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 25
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 8:01:57 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

I was paying you a compiment in replying lightheartedly (not seriously) to the original post.

I have it on good authority that it's not his real name. Maybe Alfred is his middle name. I'm told it's Detective Sergeant Joe Friday, you know, "Just the facts, Ma'am".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 26
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 8:02:33 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 27
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 9:11:31 PM   
Anachro

After reviewing the site, I concur that having a battles and/or ships sunk list would be very helpful.

Post #: 28
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 9:33:27 PM   
Lokasenna

Didn't somebody a few years ago make a site that could do exactly what they've done here? Basically dumping Tracker and the map to a website?

Didn't it look pretty much like this? Is this the same thing?

If only I had that much time on my hands...

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 12/7/2015 10:34:10 PM >

Post #: 29
RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier - 12/7/2015 9:52:04 PM   
btd64

How do you change your side restriction? I made a mistake and picked Japan....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI