Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finnish StugIIIg(l)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Finnish StugIIIg(l) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finnish StugIIIg(l) - 4/23/2001 10:14:00 PM   
JTGEN

Where does this come from. Does the L with better protection stand for the log-extra armor used by fins or where does it come from. I have wondered this for long, but newer remembered to ask. I remembered the Germans used them in Finland too but by looking at the pictures they were not wery well placed. If I remember correctly there is 20 extra frontal and 10 extra side armour on the L-model.

Post #: 1
- 4/23/2001 11:44:00 PM   
Arto

http://www.geocities.com/~fi1877/ http://www.geocities.com/~fi1877/sturmi.html#1944 There are something about those extra armor plates which were added on summer 1944 (and also hundreds of great pictures!!). The Finns didn´t use that "L" on the name, at least I´ve never heard about that. Maybe it is better to put (l) to name to separate those from early models. [ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Arto ]

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 2
- 4/23/2001 11:55:00 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

Mmm, I've always thought that the letter L in StuG III G (l) means LATE-version of the tank. Late version usually had 'saukopf' mantlet instead of welded box mantlet of the earlier version. Someone else probably has more info about this issue? Colonel von Blitz

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 3
- 4/24/2001 5:02:00 AM   
Voriax

Hello Sorry but I think we meant 'log' with the L abbreviation. Unfortunately I've deleted most of the emails from last autumn concerning the Finnish oob and with my memory... :rolleyes: The 'Late' doesn't really fit because we Finns had stug's with both types of gun mantle. Also the add-on armour wasn't just logs but a rather thick layer of concrete cast in the front of the tank. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 4
- 4/24/2001 1:56:00 PM   
Jarkko

quote:

Originally posted by JTGEN: Where does this come from. Does the L with better protection stand for the log-extra armor used by fins or where does it come from. I have wondered this for long, but newer remembered to ask. I remembered the Germans used them in Finland too but by looking at the pictures they were not wery well placed. If I remember correctly there is 20 extra frontal and 10 extra side armour on the L-model.
Finns added some armour and a lot of cement in front hull in many of their Stug IIIg assault guns starting from early July 1944. The logs were allso installed on both sides at the same time. Here a model-building instustruction page that might give an idea what kind of modifications were made (the model Stug in article is without logs, it has some quite good pics showing the armour visor of driver and cement "armour upgrade"): http://www.hyperscale.com/features/sturmi2.html The letter "L" comes from originally from logs, as this version usually had them. Some of these allso had a thin armour plate (15mm?) installed between their driving wheels on low parts of side hull (with a small gap of maybe 30mm between side armour and this extra plate).

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 5
- 4/24/2001 3:59:00 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: The 'Late' doesn't really fit because we Finns had stug's with both types of gun mantle.
I stand corrected in the issue concerning the letter L :) But about the gun mantle: there were IIRC a lot of StuG III G late versions with earlier type gun mantle too (that's why the word 'usually' on my previous post ;) ) Whether all Finnish StuGs were latter type even though several had the earlier mantle, that I do not know. Colonel von Blitz [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Colonel von Blitz ]

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 6
- 4/24/2001 6:39:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Colonel von Blitz: Whether all Finnish StuGs were latter type even though several had the earlier mantle, that I do not know.
Hello The first 30 Stug's that arrived in 1943 had welded gun shields, while the 29 that arrived during 1944 had cast shields. Voriax ps. Blitz, we may be neighbours... :)

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 7
- 4/24/2001 9:41:00 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: ps. Blitz, we may be neighbours... :)
Yep, we are neighbours. I happen to know who you are :) Colonel von Blitz

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 8
- 4/24/2001 11:05:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Colonel von Blitz: Yep, we are neighbours. I happen to know who you are :) Colonel von Blitz
Too Bad you found it out. Now I'll probably have to kill you. :D As now I know who you are..(goes to setup the cannon) Voriax

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 9
- 4/25/2001 2:12:00 AM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: Too Bad you found it out. Now I'll probably have to kill you. :D As now I know who you are..(goes to setup the cannon)
Whoa, isn't that a bit extreme?? :D Oh well...I'll be here waiting with couple of hand-grenades and several litres of "Molotov Cocktail" :D Just don't make mistakes with that cannon of yours because of someone else might be wearing similar overalls ;) Colonel von Blitz

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Finnish StugIIIg(l) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI