Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MANPAD SAMs ineffective?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> MANPAD SAMs ineffective? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MANPAD SAMs ineffective? - 12/7/2015 5:16:25 PM   
a1ml3ss

PBEM++ working a treat now. Myself and ultradave are playing Ate_Up and have noticed that infantry launched SAMs are not scoring any kills. I counted around thirty launches without one hit, whereas my recce unit machine guns downed two choppers from 4 hexes away.
I am not knowledgeable about success rates IRL so this could be correct, but I just thought i'd mention it as it seems odd.
Post #: 1
RE: MANPAD SAMs ineffective? - 12/7/2015 10:02:53 PM   
CapnDarwin

ManPad SAMs are not the most accurate of systems (Stinger being the exception in the late 80s). Being PBEM++ getting a save game to check is not possible. Do you recall the training level and readiness of the firing units? What were the targets? I've seen ManPad kills in the past. I'll see if I can take a peek at the code this week and make sure nothing is off the rails there.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to a1ml3ss)
Post #: 2
RE: MANPAD SAMs ineffective? - 12/9/2015 12:18:23 PM   
a1ml3ss

Hi,
Not sure about training level (I imagine high, they were soviet paratroopers) but readiness was >65%, targets were 3 commanche, and 2 lots of two recce (Kiowa?). My copters were 2 lots of 3 MI 24, not sure what the firing troops were, though eventually one was taken down by chapparal.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: MANPAD SAMs ineffective? - 12/9/2015 6:07:19 PM   
ultradave

It may be ok. There were a lot of misses, however, many of the shots were taken at LOAHs. Having some experience with those from my time as an artillery FIST Chief around this time period, I know they can be challenging targets. Their SOP was listed at the time in game as pop up recon or something similar. We would spend at most about 5 seconds above the trees and then scoot to a new location and do it again. Very little time to spot and fire at the chopper with a MANPAD weapon. Pretty disorienting flying passenger seat as I spent the time between looking and marking a map then the pilot would have us pop up, count to 3-5 depending on how safe he felt and then swoop back down again. You had to have a cast iron stomach.

Anyway, eventually I've lost several, but from my end I couldn't what they were hit with, missiles or guns. Close enough range it could have been either. Lots of missiles were fired but also MG fire and at least 1 or two fell victim to Hinds (me getting too reckless hanging around where I should have :-) ).

The Chaparral hit was a poor exchange. Fired 6, got a hit and it took 2 ATGMs fired from their buddy Hinds to take out both Chaparral launchers. Ouch!

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to a1ml3ss)
Post #: 4
RE: MANPAD SAMs ineffective? - 12/9/2015 11:11:17 PM   
WildCatNL

Ultradave, thanks for sharing your experience!

William

William
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> MANPAD SAMs ineffective? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI