Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems with engineers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Problems with engineers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems with engineers - 12/9/2015 4:31:22 PM   
Aranthus

Using 2.1.1, with engineers and factory construction and repair. There are two issues.

First, in combat, I get the message that the engineers can be used in combat. I click the pull down item to use engineers in combat. This brings up message that I can use the drop down menu to choose which units can use the engineer benefit. However when I right click on other units (stacked with the engineer or not), there is no item to click to give the engineer benefit to any other unit. Does this now happen automatically?

Second, after conquering Poland, I leave the engineer in Lodz to repair the factory. Used to be that the factory was just repaired at the end of the turn, but that doesn't happen anymore (which is correct as the repair has to be paid for in the build phase). However, when I get to the build phase there is no line for repairing factories. I have tried placing the engineer on other repairable factories, but nothing happens.
Post #: 1
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/9/2015 5:13:38 PM   
Centuur

Can you put a gamesave in here? Would be very helpfull...

Peter

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/9/2015 5:52:11 PM   
paulderynck

For an attack you select "Use Engineer" for both the unit getting the benefit and for the engineer.

You don't need to pay to repair a red factory, it should be repaired and ready to operate in the next turn. (AAMOF there was a bug - I believe as yet unfixed - where the factory even produces the same turn the engineer is there.)

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/9/2015 6:00:11 PM   
Aranthus

Okay, now I am starting to doubt my sanity. I just pulled up the saved game for Sept/Oct 1940, and the Repair factory line was there. I know that it wasn't there before, because I was looking for it. I will post the saved game anyway.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/9/2015 6:03:14 PM   
paulderynck

Hmmm, if the cost is zero that would be the bug fix.

Paul

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/9/2015 9:58:31 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aranthus

Using 2.1.1, with engineers and factory construction and repair. There are two issues.

First, in combat, I get the message that the engineers can be used in combat. I click the pull down item to use engineers in combat. This brings up message that I can use the drop down menu to choose which units can use the engineer benefit. However when I right click on other units (stacked with the engineer or not), there is no item to click to give the engineer benefit to any other unit. Does this now happen automatically?

You have to open the menu for each other unit you wish to use the engineer benefit for and click on the "Land combat" entry in the menu. This will open another menu, one item of which will be to use the engineer benefit in combat.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 6
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/10/2015 5:00:32 AM   
Aranthus

The problem is that when I go to the other unit, the "Land Combat" entry doesn't show using the engineer.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 7
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/10/2015 11:30:09 AM   
pilauer@bluewin.ch

Same problem here with the repair of factories. Besides the bug that Aranthus explained, there is also the issue with US Entry. I decide to occupy Groenland and Island with the US entry action and nothing happens. The Action is done in the US Entry phase but the map showes the two territories as neutral still...
Another question is : when will the new patch be ready because it was said for end of november...

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 8
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/10/2015 12:56:11 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

The problem is that when I go to the other unit, the "Land Combat" entry doesn't show using the engineer.

Could you please post a saved game? The autosave from the Land Combat Declaration phase would work well.

Thank you.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 9
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/11/2015 7:09:52 PM   
Aranthus

I'm attaching a saved game. Attacking Lodz in the first impulse with engineers. When I click on the engineer, I get the Land Combat/Use engineers in combat. click on that. then go to one of the other units in the hex. Click on Land Combat, but all that comes up is "cancel attack".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 10
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/11/2015 7:38:59 PM   
Courtenay

There is nothing for the other units to do. The ENG is not attacking across a river. The only time units benefit from an engineer are if a) the engineer is in their hex (yes) b) the engineer is using its benefits (yes) and c) the unit's attack strength is reduced because of rivers, canals, frozen lakes, or fortifications (no). Thus there is no engineer benefit here because nothing the engineer can do can give the other units in the hex any benefit. If you want to help the units in the adjacent hex attack across the river, the ENG must be in the same hex as them.
quote:

COMBAT ENGINEERS
Organized ENG are not halved or thirded when attacking or overrunning across a river, canal or fort hexside. They also provide this benefit to as many land units they are stacked with as the ENG unit’s combat value.

The key words in this quote are "stacked with".

No bug.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 11
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/11/2015 9:27:22 PM   
Aranthus

Thanks. When in doubt read the rules. Does that mean that on the surprise turn the engineers wouldn't give any benefit to units attacking across a river since the river doesn't hinder the attack?

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 12
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/11/2015 10:13:28 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

Thanks. When in doubt read the rules. Does that mean that on the surprise turn the engineers wouldn't give any benefit to units attacking across a river since the river doesn't hinder the attack?

Yes. On a surprise turn, the only benefit an engineer would have is the bonus for attacking a city. Note that no matter how many or how strong your engineers are, the city bonus can never go positive; the best you can do is cancel the defensive benefits of a city.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 13
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/13/2015 10:43:52 AM   
pilauer@bluewin.ch

what about the repair issue with the engineer or the US entry (occupy Island/Groenland ) ?

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 14
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/14/2015 3:38:04 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red_Flag

what about the repair issue with the engineer or the US entry (occupy Island/Groenland ) ?

I have seen the Greenland/Iceland problem but I haven't been able to reproduce it consistently. If you could post a saved game where the problem always happens that would be great! It would have to be before (or at) the US Entry phase where the US can make the claim. Note that the US shouldn't be permitted to make the claim unless the Axis has DOW'd Denmark.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to pilauer@bluewin.ch)
Post #: 15
RE: Problems with engineers - 12/14/2015 3:40:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red_Flag

Same problem here with the repair of factories. Besides the bug that Aranthus explained, there is also the issue with US Entry. I decide to occupy Groenland and Island with the US entry action and nothing happens. The Action is done in the US Entry phase but the map showes the two territories as neutral still...
Another question is : when will the new patch be ready because it was said for end of november...

I finally fixed a problem with nested digressions that I worked on exclusively this past week. I want to check recent posts by the beta testers about bugs. Then I'll get a Hot Patch posted.

Sorry for the delay, but fixing a bug can take 7 minutes or 7 days or any amount of time in between.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/14/2015 4:41:10 AM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to pilauer@bluewin.ch)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Problems with engineers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI