Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Focus Pacific Beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Beta Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 11/30/2015 11:13:04 AM   
paradigmblue

I'm pretty sure that I fixed this in the latest version 0 the upgraded 8cm AA was not a naval weapon, and did not re-arm correctly, so it has been replaced with the 37mm AA guns on the Lorraine.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 121
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 11/30/2015 11:48:25 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

I'm pretty sure that I fixed this in the latest version 0 the upgraded 8cm AA was not a naval weapon, and did not re-arm correctly, so it has been replaced with the 37mm AA guns on the Lorraine.

Yes, it was fixed. Funny thing, I found the same weapon on a couple of Dutch ships. It reloads fine with them. So it was a Nationality thing I guess....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 122
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 1:20:41 AM   
dwg

quote:

a rough TOE and upgrade date for the mechanized brigades? I'd love to add these to the game.

This was what I worked out a while ago, though I can't recall how much I had evidence for (which would likely be from the Overvalwagen forum) and how much was just extrapolation from existing TOEs and new purchases, It's missing the 37mms and probably other stuff. Basic assumption was each brigade had Brigade HQ, 1 AFV Regiment (=Bn), 1 Motorised Infantry Regiment (=3*Bn), 1xCavalry Squadron (=company)

I to V Gemotoriseerde Brigades
Brigade HQ
KNIL Inf Sec * 27
KNIL Vickers Sqd * 6
M H Scout Car * 8
(This needs support units, the infantry represent the odds and sods such as HQ defence, clerks, cooks, etc. There's an argument it should have the artillery directly under command)

I to V Vechtwagens Rgt
CTLS * 40
CTMS * 34
MTLS * 34
Overvalwagen * 46
KNIL Inf Sec * 36
KNIL Vickers Sqd * 6
80mm Mortar * 4
47mm AT Gun * 12
75mm Field Gun * 8
(plus motorized support)

I to V Gemotoriseerde Rgt
KNIL Inf Sec * 90
KNIL Vickers Sqd * 18
Overvalwagen * 38
47mm ATG * 8
80mm Mortar * 18
75mm Field Gun * 12
105mm Howitzer * 8
12.7mm AAMG * 9
KNIL Cmbt Eng * 9
(+ support as usual)

I-V Cavalry Squadrons
KNIL Cav Squad * 6
VCL M1934 * 9
M H Scout Car * 9
47mm ATG * 8
(+Support)

I was looking at a couple of pages covering Dutch mines and torpedoes this week http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Torpedoes.html and http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/specials/special_torpedoes_mines.htm, amongst other stuff the first one confirms the Dutch had ordered Mk 13 torps for the DB7s.

< Message edited by dwg -- 12/5/2015 2:22:01 AM >

Post #: 123
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 4:51:58 AM   
DOCUP

DWG

Did the Dutch plan on keeping the 4 or 5 infantry RGTs already formed up and add the armored BDEs?

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 124
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 5:21:01 AM   
dwg

No idea. It's a question I've had as well.

My intuition is they need light infantry formations as well as motorised given the kind of territory they need to fight in, but I've no idea if KNIL saw it that way,

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 125
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 2:58:21 PM   
Lowpe

I am wading my way thru the IJ upgrade plane paths currently in hopes of changing out the very easy to get advanced planes super early. Hopefully finished in a week or less depending upon time available.

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 126
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 3:19:26 PM   
DOCUP

DWG. Question. I see you have 36 inf squads (1 Inf Bn)in the mech BDE. I thought there was suppose to be 2 Inf Bn's in the BDE.

If there is 1 Bn then it would be easy to keep around 3 Inf Rgts. You could also change some of the independent Bn and have ten combine into a Rgt. More later.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 127
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 3:53:14 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I am wading my way thru the IJ upgrade plane paths currently in hopes of changing out the very easy to get advanced planes super early. Hopefully finished in a week or less depending upon time available.

Lowpe, If you have some time, Could you take a look at the IJ economy to see if it looks like it can function into at least late 44. Thank you....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 128
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 4:02:21 PM   
btd64

DOCUP/dwg, If you guys would continue to workout the dutch LCU stuff, that would be very helpful. I'm doing my 3rd review of the Brits/Aussies/NZ/French/USN and USA air/LCU's/naval units at the moment. I think Shark7 is looking at the IJ side and I hope Lowpe has the time to also check the econ of the IJ as well so we can wrap this up. I know Hans is also looking at stuff as well. In fact Hans, if you read this, post the turn/date your on so I know and issues you have found that I need to fix. Thank you everyone....Para/GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 129
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 5:33:10 PM   
DOCUP

Postus interuptus. I was thinking. I remember that they planned on using the mech BDEs to push the invaders back into the sea. So having Inf Rgts to hold the line would be needed. Would they have rolled the Cav squadrons into the Mech BDEs?

If I remember correctly the best troops were in the Inf Rgts. So have them form the 5 mech BDEs and that would leave 1 Inf Rgt left over. That's if 2 Bns were used in th BDEs. With the independent Inf Bn you could combine several of those Bns into a Rgt.

Edit

GP did you see the CD gun post in one of El Cids posts?

< Message edited by DOCUP -- 12/5/2015 6:35:42 PM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 130
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/5/2015 6:19:49 PM   
paradigmblue

Thanks for your hard work all. Patton, to save on duplication of effort, instead of making the changes yourself to the scenario, send me the specific issue and I'll make the changes. The reason being is that I'm constantly tweaking the scenario to eliminate minor bugs, so if I make the changes it will be to the most up to date version I have with those bug fixes.

I've been under the weather this week and as such I've spent most of it in bed, but I did do a review of aircraft stats. It turns out that there were a lot of little problems with ordnance and maneuver ratings that needed to be sorted. It turns out that some aircraft had been entered with either inconsistent or no ordnance for their extended range, instead of a reduced load.

I glanced at the CD guns in El Cid's post. I don't want to add too many more CD units, as we're running out of location slots in the editor, but I may add those guns to static base forces that they match up with in Australia and New Zealand.

If everyone gets me the changes this weekend, I should be able to put out a patch with all the fixes tomorrow.

What's next for the mod?

In addition to all the clean-up, I had one more large change in mind.

In Large Slow Target's mod, he has a feature that I found really intriguing - It's an off-map hex called Occupied Europe located in the bottom right-hand corner of the map. I'm thinking of replacing the mid-ocean spawns of German warships with this hex, as well as adding additional German ships. This hex would be self-supporting. In addition to German (and maybe some Italian) warships arriving here, blockade runner merchant ships would also arrive here. I may even have the Graf Zeppelin arrive here in an unfinished state, similar to the Joffre and Painleve.

The addition of this hex would make the South Eastern Pacific much more important to control, and would provide an interesting risk-reward equation for the Japanese player, who would need to stretch their logistics chain across the Pacific to ensure safe passage from the hex to Japan.

Chemkid has agreed to create the hex in the map art, but I still need to find someone who can make the changes to the hex files.

Let me know your thoughts.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 131
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/6/2015 1:26:05 AM   
dwg

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

DWG. Question. I see you have 36 inf squads (1 Inf Bn)in the mech BDE. I thought there was suppose to be 2 Inf Bn's in the BDE.

That's 36 squads in the armoured battalion. The Brigade is the armoured battalion, plus the infantry regiment, itself with one motorized infantry battalion in Overvalwagens, and probably the other two in trucks, plus the Cavalry squadron and the HQ. I can't remember the precise thinking that went into it, but I think I had something to suggest the infantry regiment organisation, plus the likelihood of infantry in the armoured battalion - Maybe just reflecting the Mobiele Eenheide organisation. On reflection I think the AFVs in the armoured battalion should be held back to about 13-20 of each type with the rest in reserve/at the schools/whatever, i.e leaving them at typical AFV company size. There's precedent for a six company KNIL battalion, that's what the cavalry regiment was before they parcelled it out to the divisions (and it potentially lets the brigade commander detach 1 armoured company plus 1 armoured infantry company to support each infantry battalion in the infantry regiment).

I'm tending to the view they intended to drop the division level organisation and go with the motorised brigades using the existing infantry regiments as a base, if for no other reason than there isn't time for anything else. But, they need to make up for all the detachments to other units, which you can see detailed at http://www.fireandfury.com/orbats/knil.pdf (That and the OOB built into the Babes NEI scenario really are all I know about the detailed IRL organisational stuff)

Edited to add: and they haven't had time to work out doctrine for this stuff, which is something that would negatively affect their performance.

< Message edited by dwg -- 12/6/2015 2:30:10 AM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 132
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/6/2015 2:34:31 PM   
btd64

para, I hope your feeling better. I spent a few days in bed to. But in the hospital. I went for tests for my heart this past tuesday morning and the doctor canceled them shortly after they started. then sent me to the ER for a CT of my Lungs. That resulted in a trip to a larger hospital via ambulance for a one night stay for testing and observation. the following morning after the test they told me I was staying another day for another test. The stuff a camera up the wrist to your heart test. Well that did produce good news. My heart is not causing my problems. But an hour after the test, in the bathroom the artery started to bleed resulting in the loss of about a 1/4 pint of blood and delaying going home by 9 hours. But i'm home now and I have about 70% use of my right hand and wrist.

Anyway, you can do the updates, that's fine. Did you get the 2 emails with additional stuff that I found? Here's some stuff;
1. LCU's ID#"s 7634 and 7635 have the same name and stats. I can live with the stats. The leaders are different.
2. we need to add about 4 or 5 single plane float patrol groups for the French, Dutch, Aussies and Brits. There are a bunch of ships that start and arrive later without patrol groups and this would at least provide some units to add and increase size to fill out.
3. The new Alameda base force needs 50 naval support squads. I forgot to add them.

That's it.

I will be emailing you later. Keep an eye out....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 133
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/7/2015 12:45:54 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Thanks for doing all this work, gents, in spite of various and sundry maladies.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 134
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/7/2015 9:16:20 PM   
btd64

Para,
Found another one;
We have 2 S-18 electric boats. Both start at San Diego. 1 is Canadian, 1 USN. We can change the number or put RCN after the S-18 for the Canadian boat. ie; S-18 RCN.
I noticed something with the CVE Puncher's air group. When I was looking at the air group reinforcement list the air groups where on the schedule for 12/20 or 21. The ship shows up in 44 I believe. I started a new test against the AI....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 135
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/7/2015 9:56:36 PM   
paradigmblue

I'll get those fixed. I've already made the other fixes to the editor file.

I'd like to sort out exactly how we want to implement the KNIL mechanized infantry units, and then I'll publish the patch.

I'm thinking arrival bases of Batavia, Palembang and Soerejaba in spring of 42. Let me know what you guys think.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 136
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/8/2015 6:31:15 PM   
DOCUP

DWG: I get what your saying now. So do you think they would of or could of formed motorized Inf Rgts?

Post #: 137
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/8/2015 11:16:34 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

In Large Slow Target's mod, he has a feature that I found really intriguing - It's an off-map hex called Occupied Europe located in the bottom right-hand corner of the map. I'm thinking of replacing the mid-ocean spawns of German warships with this hex, as well as adding additional German ships. This hex would be self-supporting. In addition to German (and maybe some Italian) warships arriving here, blockade runner merchant ships would also arrive here. I may even have the Graf Zeppelin arrive here in an unfinished state, similar to the Joffre and Painleve.

The addition of this hex would make the South Eastern Pacific much more important to control, and would provide an interesting risk-reward equation for the Japanese player, who would need to stretch their logistics chain across the Pacific to ensure safe passage from the hex to Japan.

Chemkid has agreed to create the hex in the map art, but I still need to find someone who can make the changes to the hex files.

Let me know your thoughts.

It's not an off-map base like for example Aden. It is just an on-map base in the SE corner of the map. I don't think the game engine supports Axis off-map bases.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 12/9/2015 12:18:01 AM >

Post #: 138
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/9/2015 2:09:06 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

It's not an off-map base like for example Aden. It is just an on-map base in the SE corner of the map. I don't think the game engine supports Axis off-map bases.

Good to know, thanks!

That makes implementation a lot easier, but it does necessitate more house-rules for the mod. I'll have to think carefully about putting it in the game.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 139
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/10/2015 4:49:28 AM   
paradigmblue

What do folks think about the addition of the Monsun Gruppe to the mod? I'd add a naval base force to Georgetown in summer of 1943, then 12 U-Boats would arrive there that fall (or possibly have the U-boats arrive at sea in September in the South-Western corner of the map with a destination set to Georgetown).

Post #: 140
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/10/2015 9:03:09 AM   
paradigmblue

I've been plugging away at various fixes and additions.

*Fixed the duplicate sub issue by changing the Canadian S-18 to SS 118, which more standardizes it's naming with the other Canadian subs.
*Changed CVE Puncher's air group to arrive on the same date as the carrier

Japan

*Added a Monsun Gruppe Base Force to Georgetown, as well as added a small repair shipyard there so the Monsun Gruppe can properly base from the hex.
*I already had Monsun Gruppe subs in the mod, but I added more to arrive with the Monsun Gruppe Wolfpack that arrives in early 43, and additional Munson Gruppe subs to arrive at Georgetown.
*Added additional training groups for Japan that arrive in 1943 - IJA Fighter and Bomber squads, and IJN Fighter, Dive Bomber and Torpedo Bomber squads.
*Added significantly more air support at some Japanese bases that aren't starting off with enough, especially in Manchuko and some Pacific Islands, as well as Cam Ranh Bay and Bangkok. This will help free up more Japanese Engineering squads as well.
*Added a Toyohara fortress unit with coastal guns and aviation support.
*Increased Sentai size for many Japanese patrol Sentais.
*Increased the size of CVE Taiyo's fighter squadron from 3 to 9 so it can actually put up a CAP.
*Two additional Japanese carriers that were in the editor but not showing up in the mod have been fixed - the Hofukuryu and the Sentoryu - a Unryu arriving in 11/44 and a Shinano arriving in 3/45 respectively.
*Expanded the air capacity of the Shinano class from 47 planes to 90- these carriers were designed to carry up to 120 replacement airframes for other carriers, and while they were planned to only have an airgroup of 47 planes that doesn't mean that they weren't capable of carrying and operating more.
*Similarly, the Amagi class battlecruiser Ishitaka was not present in Focus Pacific, but now has been fixed. It now starts the game in the KB.

Allies
*Added the Constitution and United States to the Game - these were part of the 6 member battlecruiser class that became the Lex and Saratoga. In Focus Pacific we have the Constellation and Ranger appearing from that class as proper battlecruisers, but the Constitution and United States will arrive as Lexington class carriers. The additional carriers will help keep Japan honest in the early part of 1942, but Japan will still hold the carrier advantage until 44. Even though the allies start with many more carriers on paper, most of them are CLVs, and they are not very useful until they finish their conversions in mid 42. While the KB is still going to smash the allies, I do want them to be able to present a credible threat in 42, which currently they don't.
*Added a few additional surface units to the commonwealth nations, most notably BC New Zealand, as well as their float plane groups. Canada receives some additional AMCs.
*Added Isaac Sewers class destroyers to act as escorts for the Dutch BCs. The Admiralen class DDs just don't have the range to be useful in that role.
*Added 3 Dutch motorized Brigades, all set to arrive in February of 42. I added these as complete brigades instead of as separate regiments, as location space in the editor is at a premium. They will arrive in Batavia, Sorejaeba and Palembang.

Once I do some testing with these changes, I'll release a new patch, probably this weekend.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 12/10/2015 10:57:07 AM >

Post #: 141
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/10/2015 11:39:45 AM   
btd64

Para, how about a few extra single float plane groups.

Also, air unit ID#3028 starts to large. Start group size at 12, and upgrade to 18.

Everything else looks good. 2 more CV's, I can live with that....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 12/10/2015 12:58:54 PM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 142
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/10/2015 6:06:35 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Para, how about a few extra single float plane groups.

Also, air unit ID#3028 starts to large. Start group size at 12, and upgrade to 18.

Everything else looks good. 2 more CV's, I can live with that....GP

I went through and audited all cruisers and battleships, and added float plane groups to all of them that were missing them.

I can certainly toss in a few spare groups as well.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 143
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/10/2015 7:55:36 PM   
btd64

There are a few small ships that someone might want to put one on. Maybe....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 144
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/10/2015 11:05:29 PM   
paradigmblue

I forgot that a lot of the French Corvettes can carry a FP. I'll add groups for all of them, as well as some extras.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 145
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/11/2015 2:32:55 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Sorry I'm at the office and can't be more specific, but I noticed some French CAs have incredible AA values after an update (as in over 2000). Some of the new CVLs seemed to have a bit high AA numbers after updates as well. Further, some (maybe all?) USAAF base forces go up to 180 aviation support, at least in '43, but then "upgrade" to 120 or 150 (a lower number, anyway) in '44 or '45. I assume the 180 is correct in order to accommodate all the extra air units.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 146
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/11/2015 4:45:08 AM   
dontra85

I have found a few issues with the game although i like. I have run the first turn over 5 times and each time i get the same results for TF3 with it being severly damaged by the base at Cebu. I could understand the 15% CAP rate if the airbase on Cebu was the 1st turn target of the TF. Based on the number of aircraft at that base it would definetly have been identified as a dangerous target and would have hit that than the minor base on Mindinao. Primary target of the airforce is first to defeat the others airforce and gain airsuperiority. Secondly, if you activate the soviets then they Bomb in manchuria with impunity since there is no cap. Additionally,why is there no japanese first strike is this set up to represent a soviet response to the japanese attack all the while fighting the germans. I think that the japanese should have the airforce in manchuria activated to attack in russian too.

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 147
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/11/2015 10:54:50 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

I forgot that a lot of the French Corvettes can carry a FP. I'll add groups for all of them, as well as some extras.

There are two or three small short legged Dutch AVPs that have a capacity of one and the AV Wright has a capacity of four.

Hans

Post #: 148
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/12/2015 12:41:11 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

There are two or three small short legged Dutch AVPs that have a capacity of one and the AV Wright has a capacity of four.

A few USN AVP's too....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 149
RE: Focus Pacific Beta - 12/12/2015 1:33:03 AM   
paradigmblue

Hi Cody,

Can you find any of the unit IDs for the base forces? If I have those I can track down the TOE IDs that are causing the "upgrades" to a smaller Aviation Support value.

I'll take a look at the French cruisers AA as well.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Beta Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI