Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No carbon fibre - how to adapt?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> No carbon fibre - how to adapt? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No carbon fibre - how to adapt? - 12/13/2015 5:09:42 AM   
tppytel

So I'm about 5 years into a Classic game with the Atuuk. Weird race, but that's a separate issue. The real problem is that my resources have just been horrible the whole game. It took years to find Chromium, and I had to settle almost two sectors away from my homeworld to secure it. But Carbon Fibre is even worse. For most of the first five game years, I found three other nearby empires and only a single source of Carbon Fibre, which was in the home system of the unfriendly dinosaurs (which also happened to be less than half a sector from my homeworld, to the dismay of my carebears). As far as I can tell, they've never even mined it, but they totally hate me due to proximity and unfriendliness so there's no way I'll be getting a trade agreement from them anyway. I *finally* found two other sources just in the last game month or so, both of which are outside the 2 sector colonization range limit. I could conceivably start colonizing in that direction (this would only be my 3rd colony), as I have a colony ship just about complete (finally... stupid slow bears). But I have *no* more CF at this point, so I won't be able to build a new colony ship or even any more warships to help protect a far-off mining station. I've had a pirate smuggling mission for CF open for years and no pirates have delivered on it. I don't need protection arrangements for those to work, right?

Any other suggestions? Even if they were things I should have done earlier but overlooked? I recognized early on that the Naxillians had the only CF in town, but I can't imagine how I could have made them friendly enough to let me have some. They declared war on me before the end of the first year as it was. I guess I could have gotten a better picture of the resource spread by micro'ing my explorers so that they didn't waste time fully exploring systems of little interest. But... jeez that seems tedious. Any other ideas? The first few games I played were all pre-warp, and the resource situation is so much easier there. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the classic era games.
Post #: 1
RE: No carbon fibre - how to adapt? - 12/13/2015 9:25:35 AM   
Bingeling

It is probably mostly about bad luck in resource distribution. Carbon fiber is found on continentals and possibly marshy swamp, if you observe an exploration ship exploring a new system, send them manually to those first.

For resource scouting, be aware of the resource filter on the galaxy map. Maybe there is something in a foreign system you are not aware of?

Pirate smuggling missions can possibly help if desperate enough.

Are the distant source close enough to your colonization limit that you could get them inside the influence circle of a new colony?

(in reply to tppytel)
Post #: 2
RE: No carbon fibre - how to adapt? - 12/13/2015 3:31:20 PM   
Retreat1970

As long as you're not at war your freighters will go to another empire for needed resources. Getting your own supply is optimal though.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: No carbon fibre - how to adapt? - 12/13/2015 7:06:02 PM   
tppytel

I fully explored every system. I definitely didn't miss any CF sources. The one in the Naxillian home system was the only source in nearly 16 full sectors.

And I did try the pirate smuggling option - it ran for at least 3 years with no results. It showed that one faction was considering the offer, but I guess they couldn't find any either.

I'm going to chalk this one up to a bizarre start and put it aside. I probably could've mitigated the impact by being more choosy about my designs (avoiding early fighter bays, for example) and micro'ing my explorers. Lessons learned.

(in reply to tppytel)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> No carbon fibre - how to adapt? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI