Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sad, sad, sad.......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 4/27/2015 7:46:54 PM   
AlbertN

To blend in with the topic, the opener of this talk - I admit it sort of saddens me to an extent the AAR are just provided for a read instead than being somehow interactive.

To have suggestions (for both sides) or a form of "interactive dialogue" at times can help.

For the AAR I am doing I just got the vibe it's an appendix there that ... I do not even know how many read. It could be 0 even or few people and at times I ponder why I bother.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 181
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 4/28/2015 4:32:05 AM   
Orm

I read and enjoy the AAR.

I am sorry that I am not more active in the thread.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 182
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 4/28/2015 4:33:04 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

To blend in with the topic, the opener of this talk - I admit it sort of saddens me to an extent the AAR are just provided for a read instead than being somehow interactive.

To have suggestions (for both sides) or a form of "interactive dialogue" at times can help.

For the AAR I am doing I just got the vibe it's an appendix there that ... I do not even know how many read. It could be 0 even or few people and at times I ponder why I bother.

1562 hits on 99 posts?

Do you look at each one you posted 15 times?

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 4/28/2015 5:35:17 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 183
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 4/28/2015 2:52:17 PM   
AlbertN

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

1562 hits on 99 posts?

quote:

1562 hits on 99 posts?

Maybe not 15, but with doublechecks for images, possible edits as things pop in my mind, etcetera ^^
I am jesting ... well, forums tends to mean to be interactive - that's all!

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 184
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 4/28/2015 10:47:39 PM   
Numdydar

I posted a comment in your AAR thread and it is not answered yet Where is my interactivity

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 185
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 4/29/2015 3:28:21 PM   
AlbertN

If that's your post on page 4 I've replied!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 186
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 5/3/2015 4:58:02 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ubercat

quote:

ORIGINAL: AllenK
It begs the question as to whether the "this game is unplayable" chorus is what puts potential players off the purchase. If so, the only real counter is a lively AAR forum showing the game being played and enjoyed.

Yea, I think that you hit the nail right on the head. It's the trolls, working hard to turn people away.

No it is not the trolls [what is a troll] warspite is right the forums are dead, if you are happy with a game that has no netplay no AI and no Pbem then more power to you, no one tried harder than warspite and myself to bring this game to the computer, but the truth is the truth no one but a very few are very interested anymore plain and simple.

Bo

I bought the game as soon as it came out, having read somewhere that an AI was on the way. I own almost everything Matrix has ever published and I play daily: WitP, WitE, etc. I still own the printed version of this title as well.

I tried to love this rendering of the game, but I couldn't. I uninstalled it after about a week and never looked at it again. The huge printed manuals (works of art!) are sitting on the floor in a corner of my study as I type...

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 187
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/9/2015 2:18:27 PM   
sillyflower

Me too.

The only Matrix purchase I regret buying. 1 of only about 3 games ever where I have such regrets.

I could have lived without the AI, but it was the lack of any vaguely workable PvP which meant I never even opened up the game screen

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 188
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/9/2015 5:00:31 PM   
Numdydar

There are plenty of ways to play this MP right now. I'm done it, others are doing it. And with more than two people . Today.

It does not even take much effort to do either. So I do not see why this is still something everyone sees as a problem. Just because NetPlay is not finished? IMHO the 'workarounds' for NetPlay are better than NetPlay. So I do not care if NetPlay is ever finished

But hey, that is just me

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 12/9/2015 6:00:46 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 189
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/9/2015 5:10:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

....So I do not see why this is still something everyone sees as a problem. Just because NetPlay is not finished? IMHO the 'workarounds' for NetPlay are better than NetPlay. So I do not care if NetPlay is ever finished

But hey, that is just me
warspite1

I do not understand this part of the post at all. Firstly 'everyone' does not see this as a problem because, as you say, there are people (no idea how many) who are using work arounds.

But 'not too much effort' and 'better than netplay'? What about the fact that there is no check on dice rolls for one thing? That seriously limits games to those you can completely trust.

I play by e-mail with Orm because a) I trust him and b) the ball-ache involved is worth it just to be able to play this glorious game again.

But really. I have played CTGW on PBEM, I am currently playing DC:B on PBEM. These are hassle free - as it should be; how MWIF should be.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 190
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/9/2015 6:01:12 PM   
paulderynck

The dice roll issue you mention is only a problem in PBEM. If you use screen and mouse sharing, everyone sees the die rolls when they happen.

Of course using screen and mouse sharing also involves elements of trust although normally everyone is present and watching what's happening. Or the game can be installed on a neutral server that has nothing on it but the game, an Operating System, and the screen/mouse sharing program.

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 191
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/9/2015 7:17:59 PM   
Jagdtiger14

If you want to PBEM, etc...why not use a die rolling service...many free ones on the net...

I would find it hard to play any game without verifying my opponents die rolls, or even more important my opponent verifying my die rolls. When extreme unlikely or convenient die rolls occur...even worse when they occur at key moments (turn ends, weather, etc...) I shouldn't have to feel guilty or suspect my opponent.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 192
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/10/2015 2:39:29 AM   
jzardos

quote:

There are plenty of ways to play this MP right now. I'm done it, others are doing it. And with more than two people . Today.

It does not even take much effort to do either. So I do not see why this is still something everyone sees as a problem. Just because NetPlay is not finished? IMHO the 'workarounds' for NetPlay are better than NetPlay. So I do not care if NetPlay is ever finished

But hey, that is just me

Are you actually being serious here? The game doesn't work as promised. I tried net play maybe a month ago and couldn't get past 1939 without a catastrophic stopper. If the game was only possible as solitaire or hotseat then it should have been sold that way. Don't even have the net-play option available until it works. Has anybody played a net-play game through to 1945? I very much appreciate the monumental effort by the few developers, however, they should have been given more time and resources to finish the game. Net play and AI.

< Message edited by jzardos -- 12/10/2015 3:48:42 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 193
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/11/2015 4:12:54 AM   
Numdydar

Yes netplay does/did not work as promised. But why stay fixated on that? You want to play multiplayer WiF. Why do you care HOW you play multiplayer?

If you care more about playing multiplayer than multiplayer with netplay, then it should not matter that netplay does not work yet. But if the reverse is true that you have to have netplay before you will ever consider playing with another human, then you are correct and you will just need to wait until netplay is in better shape.

Personally, I did not want to wait because I cared more about having fun playing multiplayer long before netplay had even gotten this good. But for some, having netplay working means more than enjoying MP games right now. I do not understand that, but hey, differences, is what makes the world go round

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 194
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/12/2015 1:50:39 AM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

quote:

But hey, that is just me

Are you actually being serious here? The game doesn't work as promised. I tried net play maybe a month ago and couldn't get past 1939 without a catastrophic stopper. If the game was only possible as solitaire or hotseat then it should have been sold that way. Don't even have the net-play option available until it works. Has anybody played a net-play game through to 1945? I very much appreciate the monumental effort by the few developers, however, they should have been given more time and resources to finish the game. Net play and AI.

I have tried to stay off the forums due mostly to being very embarrassed about being a beta tester for this game, you are one of my favorite posters Numdydar but I have to go along with jzardos post on this one, honesty before loyalty I guess Nummy.

Bo

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 195
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/12/2015 4:43:51 AM   
wworld7

quote:

I have tried to stay off the forums due mostly to being very embarrassed about being a beta tester for this game, you are one of my favorite posters Numdydar but I have to go along with jzardos post on this one, honesty before loyalty I guess Nummy.

Bo

Bo,

Hi, if you want to feel embarrassed go ahead. IMHO, you did the best you could do with your skill set. You were one of many beta testers who worked hard.
All anyone can ask is that people work hard. The rest is out of your control.

Flipper

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 196
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/12/2015 3:04:12 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Bo

Bo,

Hi, if you want to feel embarrassed go ahead. IMHO, you did the best you could do with your skill set. You were one of many beta testers who worked hard.
All anyone can ask is that people work hard. The rest is out of your control.

Deeply appreciate your post flipper, thank you, but the feelings have never gone away because it could have been with net play, the AI, the finest computer war game ever devised for the war gaming community.

Bo

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 197
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/12/2015 4:16:25 PM   
Jagdtiger14

I think there are a lot of readers here (myself included) who have no idea what it is you guys are talking about.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 198
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/12/2015 6:30:59 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

I think there are a lot of readers here (myself included) who have no idea what it is you guys are talking about.

Are you referring to me Jagd?

Bo

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 199
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 3:02:06 AM   
tom730_slith

I only come to this site occasionally. I play WIF though, every chance I get.
Having a computer version of the best - and most challenging - war game I ever played continues to be a blessing to me.
With the wonderful original board game (which I still own for sentimental reasons I suppose!) I only had a chance to set it up and play once. It was in my attic and because there was room there to leave it set up, but because it was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter I rarely got to play!
Now it is on my hard drive, and not only can I play whenever I want I can also replay from ma y different points in the game if I decide to!
Just wanted to once again say thanks to all who made this possible. It is by far the best game purchase I have ever made.
Merry Christmas!

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 200
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 5:59:47 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Yeah Bo...it seems you were part of the process here to develop the game, then what?

(in reply to tom730_slith)
Post #: 201
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 1:13:47 PM   
alexvand

quote:

ORIGINAL: tom730

Having a computer version of the best - and most challenging - war game I ever played continues to be a blessing to me.
With the wonderful original board game (which I still own for sentimental reasons I suppose!) I only had a chance to set it up and play once. It was in my attic and because there was room there to leave it set up, but because it was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter I rarely got to play!
Now it is on my hard drive, and not only can I play whenever I want I can also replay from ma y different points in the game if I decide to!
Just wanted to once again say thanks to all who made this possible. It is by far the best game purchase I have ever made.
Merry Christmas!

I agree with you completely! I have spent hundreds of hours playing since MWiF came out and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Post #: 202
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 2:34:24 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Yeah Bo...it seems you were part of the process here to develop the game, then what?

First of all Jagd I cannot ever remember being discourteous to you in any way in the past forums, I always answered your questions and others the best I could when questions arose, I would appreciate the same from you now.

Your last 2 posts are shall I say a little hazy if not downright strange coming from a knowledgeable poster. I have not been on the forums for reasons like this, I was just agreeing with jzardos post thats all nothing more, if you could be a little more specific if that is possible I will answer the best I can any misconceptions you have of me and the other testers, Steve, Matrix, and MWIF.

Please try not to post in code

Thank you

Bo

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 203
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 2:35:54 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

quote:

Merry Christmas!

I agree with you completely! I have spent hundreds of hours playing since MWiF came out and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

That is nice to hear and very positive alex, very glad you are enjoying the game.

Bo

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 204
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 2:38:35 PM   
bo

Hi Cruss glad to see your still lurking on the posts how have you been?

Bo

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 205
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 2:44:32 PM   
bo

quote:

Merry Christmas!

Same I said to alex I for one am very glad you are enjoying the game tom, hopefully in the near future net play will be totally fuctional and the AI will be kicking our butts.

Bo

Post #: 206
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 2:48:58 PM   
Orm

Well, I am not sad any longer. This, in part, because I just lost HMS Warspite to warspite1.

< Message edited by Orm -- 12/13/2015 3:49:20 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 207
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 2:55:41 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Well, I am not sad any longer. This, in part, because I just lost HMS Warspite to warspite1.

ORM, how are you? Miss our conversations, you probably scuttled the HMS Warspite as I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that you could ever have lost it to Warspite Unless you were just trying to be nice which is your true nature

Bo

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 208
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 3:03:34 PM   
Orm

The dastardly Italians, played by warspite1, kicked the RN around and sunk HMS Warspite in our AAR game. I was pretty sure I would have the day and sink the Italian fleet but in this game it is hard to be sure of anything at all. Hence, the fun removes my sadness.

----

I'll try to write an email tomorrow.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 209
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 3:48:10 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Bo, you got me completely wrong...it was just a point of information...It seems you were on the inside on this project and might have some interesting stories to tell.

You were never discourteous to me, and I am sorry if my post made no sense. It was in no way meant to attack or minimalize your work on this project. Sorry about post #201...it was clumsy and poorly written...maybe I was tired?

I hope you accept my apology.

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 12/13/2015 4:51:58 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI