Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Mods >> Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.4 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.4 - 11/25/2015 4:12:30 AM   
Philippeatbay

Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.4 and 1.4ns

The purpose of this mod is to represent all flags and symbols that were used by the different units in the game as accurately as possible within the constraints of the game engine. I am interested in vexillology, heraldry, and semiotics, not politics. You should never be allowed to forget who is doing what to whom, because when you bowdlerize evil you make it more acceptable. And then the bad guys win.

This mod is a graphics-only mod. It makes a few changes to the graphic presentation, nothing more. It will have zero impact on any pbem games, and won't cause problems if one player uses it but another doesn't. It is very similar to my mod for DC:Case Blue, but not identical. Several of the flags from that mod have been repainted (e.g. the Romanian and Soviet flags).

This mod is designed to be used with other graphics mods. These don't exist yet, but no modder can resist making grass mods, so sooner or later...

Here is a list of what this mod changes, by country:

Germany:

The mod uses the traditional cannon ball unit symbol for siege artillery. It will only appear if you've patched your game to version 1.03m or higher.

The mod uses a German roundel derived from the roundel on the Parteiflag.

The large, medium, and small headquarters flags are the Reichskriegflag, the German warflag. This is the flag that would have flown in front of any army or navy headquarters, as well as in front of administrative offices in any occupied territory.

The crossed anchors icon for the Wehrmacht navy is the emblem that was worn on the shoulder boards of the Kriegsmarine.

The Luftwaffe eagle icon has been repainted.

I have replaced the SS icon with the white SS runes on a black background.

Romania:

The Romanian flag is now King Michael's warflag.

The national icon for Romania is now the Romanian cross (reportedly modeled on the German balkenkreuz).

Finland:

The mod uses the Finnish warflag from WW II. The Finnish warflag is unusual in that it uses a medieval swallowtail design with the national coat of arms mounted on the intersection of the two arms of the cross.

The national icon for Finland is the blue and white roundel; the national coat of arms (gold lion rampant on a red shield) is included as an _alt texture.

The alternative would have been to use the airforce symbol. The Finnish airforce began using that symbol when the country was becoming independant during the aftermath of the Russian Revolution. A Swedish nobleman whose ancestor had gone crusading in the Baltic donated a personal airplane to Finland, the first airplane in what was to become the Finnish Air Force. To show their recognition Finland adopted part of the nobleman's coat of arms as their aircraft symbol. In the Middle Ages, if you had gone crusading in the Holy Land, you often added a Jerusalem Cross to your coat of arms. But if you hadn't gone all the way to the Middle East and had only crusaded with the Teutonic knights in Prussia or the Baltic, you removed half of the crossbars from the Jerusalem cross before you mounted it on your coat of arms. So that is why the Finnish Airforce was using a symbol that we now think of as a swastika long before the German Nazi Party came into existence. The Finnish Air Force swastika isn't really a swastika, it just looks like one. I didn't want to use the Finnish Air Force symbol as the national ID symbol because I always prefer to use national coats of arms instead, and on top of that I find it very confusing to see a swastika on Finnish units, even though I know where it really comes from.

Italy:

The national icon for Italy is now the coat of arms of the house of Savoy (white cross on a red shield with a blue border).

Hungary:

The icon for Hungary is now the national coat of arms with the crown of St. Stephen.

Soviet Union:

The Soviet Roundel now sports a hammer and sickle.

The Soviet flag has been repainted.

The icon for Soviet regulars is derived from the Red Army badges that were made out of enameled metal, and is a red star with a gold edge and a gold hammer and sickle mounted in the middle of the star.

The icon for troops from Siberia is identical to the icon for Soviet regulars, except that the red and gold star is shown against a green background. Siberia has lots of taiga and tundra, and both are green when not covered in snow.

The icon for Soviet conscripts is identical to the icon for Soviet regulars, but without the gold trim around the edge of the red star (a very small hammer and sickle on a red star).

The icon for Partisans is a simple red star cut out of fabric (no hammer and sickle).

The icon for Soviet Naval Infantry (the Black Death) is based on the fouled anchor that appears on Russian marine badges.

Non-swastika version:

The swastika-free version of the mod needs to be downloaded separately. The link can be found below just after the link to the regular version.

WHERE TO GET THE MOD

The mod can be downloaded from this link:

The combined version (Historical Flags and Symbols and Other Peoples Mod):

regular:

https://app.box.com/s/xn1ajv27y80dj75nsakv21l48v3vks9j

no swastikas:

https://app.box.com/s/avi0xnx2bc5x6vtzhtxp4bvyvu4f0snh

Historical Flags and Symbols (does not include Other Peoples Mod):

https://app.box.com/s/4x7dvkpfjtns0pmsnzeybui19mpopkvb

or this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns5ndhgjvqyq0uc/DCBarbarossa%20Historical%20Flags%20and%20Symbols%20v.1.4.zip?dl=0

I frequently run out of bandwidth towards the end of the month. If that happens you should try downloading from the second link, or wait until the middle of the next month. There is also a copy of the mod hosted on Vic's site here:

http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=228

A swastika-free version of the mod:

https://app.box.com/s/4ucl6wvrw7v2bzs4sv0w9hj62fkmkgag

and here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpl3twdob6gcjio/DCBarbarossa%20Historical%20Flags%20and%20Symbols%20v.1.4ns.zip?dl=0

or here:

http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=241

Here's a link to a thread about a mod that improves the look of many of the game's graphic utilities (Other Peoples' Mods):

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4013331

The Steam version of this mod (bundled together with the Other Peoples' Mods):

Historical flags:

https://app.box.com/s/xhdl52st12m7hrzxsthwgx4rqvfqwa6m

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5c029w4lnm4lb4/DCBarbarossa%20HF%26S%20v.1.4%20and%20OPM%20v.%201.1%20%28Steam%29.zip?dl=0

or

http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=242

Without swastikas:

https://app.box.com/s/3r5425g250f6359kr3ocp6ublegbvn3d

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x3h4l64eegfhf3/DCBarbarossa%20HF%26S%20v.1.4ns%20and%20OPM%20v.%201.1%20%28Steam%29.zip?dl=0

or

http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=243

If you are interested in the flag mods that I've made for the other games in the series, here are the relevant links:

Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3755829&mpage=1&key=�

Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg Warsaw to Paris

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3768892

< Message edited by Philippe at bay -- 12/30/2016 10:21:44 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 4:13:57 AM   
Philippeatbay

Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 screenshots:

(in reply to Philippeatbay)
Post #: 2
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 4:49:27 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Very impressive Philippe! Thank you!

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Post #: 3
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 5:51:50 AM   
zakblood

great work as always, thanks for the share

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 4
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 5:54:43 AM   
Vic

Its become a bit of a tradition for me. And this game it arrives very timely! :)

Big Hurrah for Philippe!

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 7:17:20 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Philippe at bay

Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0

[SNIP]

Finland:

The mod uses the Finnish warflag from WW II. The Finnish warflag is unusual in that it uses a medieval swallowtail design with the national coat of arms mounted on the intersection of the two arms of the cross.

The national icon for Finland is the national coat of arms (gold lion rampant on a red shield).

The alternative would have been to use the airforce symbol. The Finnish airforce began using that symbol when the country was becoming independant during the aftermath of the Russian Revolution. A Swedish nobleman whose ancestor had gone crusading in the Baltic donated a personal airplane to Finland, the first airplane in what was to become the Finnish Air Force. To show their recognition Finland adopted part of the nobleman's coat of arms as their aircraft symbol. In the Middle Ages, if you had gone crusading in the Holy Land, you often added a Jerusalem Cross to your coat of arms. But if you hadn't gone all the way to the Middle East and had only crusaded with the Teutonic knights in Prussia or the Baltic, you removed half of the crossbars from the Jerusalem cross before you mounted it on your coat of arms. So that is why the Finnish Airforce was using a symbol that we now think of as a swastika long before the German Nazi Party came into existence. The Finnish Air Force swastika isn't really a swastika, it just looks like one. I didn't want to use the Finnish Air Force symbol as the national ID symbol because I always prefer to use national coats of arms instead, and on top of that I find it very confusing to see a swastika on Finnish units, even though I know where it really comes from.

Hello Philippe, thank you for your attention to detail, it is mods like these with attention to histroic detail that really make the games shine!

As a Finn I can only conclude what you wrote is spot on. The Finnish Warflag continues to be the same as what you depicted here, as does the national coat of arms.

As for the light blue Finnish Air Force swastika of 1918-1945, it is as you wrote. However it was practically never used outside Air force, albeit it appeared shortly in some tanks as a national symbol before the armored vehicles were standardized to use what is known as the Liberty Cross, a black short-armed swastika designed in 1919. Liberty Cross continues to be used to this day in some areas, for instance in President's flag.

So as for the various swastika-like symbols, they've been used in the folklore for ages, and had nothing to do with Nazi symbols. For obvious reasons, they are shunned today, and for a good reason too.

Then, should you look for another symbol besides the warflag, I'd probably recommend the use of the white-blue-white roundel that has been used in Finnish Army hats and caps from early on, although by conscripts and reservists only as the professional officers wear a red-golden lion roundel instead. However, it is the white-blue-white roundel that is in use in modern Airforce and AFV fleet as well, so it is instantly recognizable and would serve well as a generic symbol, dating back to time periods covered here.

But as far as the flags go, again what you used here is spot on. Thank you!

Post #: 6
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 7:45:16 AM   
Remmes

Now that is what i call a quickly released mod. Game hasn't even been out 24 hours.

Looks very nice, many thanks!

< Message edited by Ramses -- 11/25/2015 8:45:30 AM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 7
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 1:48:53 PM   
Philippeatbay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0

[SNIP]

Finland:

The national icon for Finland is the national coat of arms (gold lion rampant on a red shield).

Hello Philippe, thank you for your attention to detail, it is mods like these with attention to histroic detail that really make the games shine!

As a Finn I can only conclude what you wrote is spot on. The Finnish Warflag continues to be the same as what you depicted here, as does the national coat of arms.

As for the light blue Finnish Air Force swastika of 1918-1945, it is as you wrote. However it was practically never used outside Air force, albeit it appeared shortly in some tanks as a national symbol before the armored vehicles were standardized to use what is known as the Liberty Cross, a black short-armed swastika designed in 1919. Liberty Cross continues to be used to this day in some areas, for instance in President's flag.

So as for the various swastika-like symbols, they've been used in the folklore for ages, and had nothing to do with Nazi symbols. For obvious reasons, they are shunned today, and for a good reason too.

Then, should you look for another symbol besides the warflag, I'd probably recommend the use of the white-blue-white roundel that has been used in Finnish Army hats and caps from early on, although by conscripts and reservists only as the professional officers wear a red-golden lion roundel instead. However, it is the white-blue-white roundel that is in use in modern Airforce and AFV fleet as well, so it is instantly recognizable and would serve well as a generic symbol, dating back to time periods covered here.

But as far as the flags go, again what you used here is spot on. Thank you!

Most welcome.

I had considered using the circular blue roundel for the national symbol, and even made one at one point, but couldn't find any documentation that it was used during the '40's. Which strikes me as odd, because I would have thought it would date back to the Russian Civil War period. I suspect not being able to find documentation has more to do with a lacuna in my sources than anything else. I guess I should spend some more time squinting at photographs from the Winter and Continuation Wars and try to decipher what they had on their forage caps.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 8
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 2:19:28 PM   
rjh1971

Thanks Philippe, great mod.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

Post #: 9
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 2:26:00 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Most welcome.

I had considered using the circular blue roundel for the national symbol, and even made one at one point, but couldn't find any documentation that it was used during the '40's. Which strikes me as odd, because I would have thought it would date back to the Russian Civil War period. I suspect not being able to find documentation has more to do with a lacuna in my sources than anything else. I guess I should spend some more time squinting at photographs from the Winter and Continuation Wars and try to decipher what they had on their forage caps.

Hello Philippe, (edit) found this article in English regarding the history of Finnish military uniforms:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/FinnishTunicsectionrevised.asp

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 11/25/2015 3:33:51 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 3:26:20 PM   
Philippeatbay

Nice photographs and very interesting link. I can't remember if I visited that website when I researched the question two years ago (for another game, obviously). If I were making a mod today for the Winter War I would probably use the cockade. But for the Continuation War I think I'll stick with the lion, on the analogy of the crown of St. Stephen (Hungary) and the coat of arms of the house of Savoy (Italy).

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 11
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 3:43:09 PM   
Delaware

Thanks.this is exactly what I was asking for in the mod request thread.

Post #: 12
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 4:37:16 PM   
Krupinski

Thank you very much! Great work - as usual :-)

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 13
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 4:37:40 PM   
Krupinski

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 14
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 4:37:58 PM   
Krupinski

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 15
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 4:47:29 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Nice photographs and very interesting link. I can't remember if I visited that website when I researched the question two years ago (for another game, obviously). If I were making a mod today for the Winter War I would probably use the cockade. But for the Continuation War I think I'll stick with the lion, on the analogy of the crown of St. Stephen (Hungary) and the coat of arms of the house of Savoy (Italy).

Sure, why not. Plenty of options! Thanks again for this mod

Post #: 16
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 7:27:14 PM   
nikdav

Fantastic !

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 17
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 9:45:52 PM   
Rosseau

Thanks for the work on this!

(in reply to nikdav)
Post #: 18
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/25/2015 9:53:31 PM   
elmo3

Very nice mod. Thanks for all your effort making it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 19
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/26/2015 11:00:49 AM   
GBS

HELP! I installed your mod and made a copy of the game and now my Shortcut to start the game is gone! I cant find an Application file in the game folder either to start the game or make a new desktop shortcut with. What the heck is going on? The game doesnt even show up on the start menu. What the hell have I done? Can I delete everything and go back and re download the game? never seen any thing like this.

< Message edited by GBS -- 11/26/2015 12:09:44 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 20
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/26/2015 1:46:59 PM   
Philippeatbay

Please describe your operating system and what kind of computer you have (desktop or PC).

Then describe exactly what you did. Be explicit.

What is happening to your installation has nothing to do with my mod, but might have something to do with how you made a copy of your game if you did it in some weird way. The mod should have no contact (let alone influence) over things like start menus and desktop shortcuts.

Perhaps you did something really strange when you thought you were making a copy of the game, or were in too much of a hurry and didn't do what you thought you did.

You're going to need help from the support part of the forum on this and should open a thread there, but you're going to have to be very clear about what is going on.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 21
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/26/2015 2:45:36 PM   
Philippeatbay

I'm going to take a stab at talking out of school, but if you're not using Windows 7 professional all bets are off.

Depending on how you're configured, when you go inside a folder there are a couple of horizontal bars across the top of your viewing area.

At the extreme left, on the lower bar, you'll see the word 'Organize' with a downward-pointing carret mark.

Click on that downward pointing arrow, and in the middle of a moderately long drop-down menu you'll see the word 'Layout' with a carret mark pointing to the right.

Clicking on that brings up another menu with five items (Menu bar, details pane, preview pane, navigation pane, library pane).

If all of these items have check-marks next to them except preview pane (which should have a weird icon next to it), it might make the contents of your installation folder appear again.

Post #: 22
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/28/2015 2:05:20 PM   
Vorsteher

Wenn die Hakenkreuze nicht wären, wär´s ja ganz nett.

Post #: 23
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/28/2015 5:39:15 PM   
scout1

Once the zip folder is downloaded, just what is the procedure to install the flag mod .... ?

Copy / overwrite into graphics/BarbBIG/Flags ? or make a stand alone folder and if so, how to get the game to use the mod graphics ... ?

They do look VERY good BTW .....

Post #: 24
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 11/28/2015 7:53:22 PM   
Philippeatbay

I use a manual form of automatic installation.

Download and unzip into a safe place. The folder that you've unzipped has the name of the mod, so don't try unzipping it into the game because the mod won't work if you do.

If you look inside the folder with the mod, you'll see two text files and a folder named Matrix Games. The mod is nesting in a bunch of folders that mimic the Matrix Games folder structure.

One of the text files is a description of what the mod does, essentially the text in the first post of this thread. Those who are more observant might notice something surprising about the date on the text file that appears with my signature and e-mail address.

One of the text files tells you exactly what to do with the mod, in case of forgetfullness.

Take the folder named Matrix Games, and copy and paste it to wherever you keep your Matrix Games folder (that will differ depending on whether you have Windows XP, 7, 8, 10, or whatever). The folder will start over-writing things in your Matrix Games folder, so you might want to make a copy of your game first (very easily done by just copying and pasting the game within the Matrix folder). Just remember to say yes whenever you get asked if you want to over-write something.

This is really a lot like swallowing -- harder to explain than to do. If you get lost, I've included a text file that explains what to do.

I make all of my mods this way now, because it forces people to look at what they're doing, and saves having to worry about which mod installer they're using.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 25
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 12/6/2015 10:17:42 PM   
Philippeatbay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

Most welcome.

Hello Philippe, (edit) found this article in English regarding the history of Finnish military uniforms:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/FinnishTunicsectionrevised.asp

I've changed my mind about using the blue and white roundel. I'm trying out a few different versions that I've made and I think I like the way it looks better than the rampant lion.

So I think the next version of the flag mod will use the blue and white roundel as the default texture with the gold lion as an alternate.

There might be some other changes to the unit symbols in a forthcoming patch and I'd prefer to release the next version of the mod with all of the changes at once. But if it starts looking like it's going to be a really long wait...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 26
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 12/9/2015 1:41:06 AM   
ryan1488

just got it, thank you very well done!

Post #: 27
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 12/9/2015 8:55:47 PM   
Philippeatbay

I've just made the really minor change that I mentioned in an earlier post.

The mod has been updated to version 1.1. The Finnish national icon is now a blue and white roundel. The gold lion rampant from the national coat of arms is provided as an alt.

The link in the first post will now take you to the latest version of the mod.

There are two more changes coming eventually, but they're dependant on a future patch to the game. When that's about to happen, I'll update the mod to the next version.

(in reply to ryan1488)
Post #: 28
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 12/10/2015 9:56:19 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vorsteher

Wenn die Hakenkreuze nicht wären, wär´s ja ganz nett.

Du musst die Hakenkreuze selbst, nicht übernehmen!

(in reply to Vorsteher)
Post #: 29
RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.0 - 12/14/2015 9:54:23 PM   
WarHunter

Thanks for the mod.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Mods >> Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.4 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI