Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Wars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Star Wars Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Wars - 12/18/2015 10:30:39 PM   
Zap

Have not watched it yet, so don't give away too much just let me known. Is as good as the critics say>

Post #: 1
RE: Star Wars - 12/18/2015 10:33:56 PM   
Aurelian

I'll wait for the DVD.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Star Wars - 12/18/2015 11:50:09 PM   
mllange

Just watched it with my kids and we all loved it. Worth the full-priced ticket for our family.

Who would have guessed that Chewbacca is Admiral Ackbar's father? ;)'

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 3
RE: Star Wars - 12/19/2015 12:13:38 AM   
CGGrognard

So many trailers, I feel that I may have seen the Cliff Notes version. Looking forward to watching it this Monday.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 4
RE: Star Wars - 12/19/2015 2:36:37 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

Saw it last night with 11 year old son and his friend. I give it 4 out of 5. Not very original but lots of action and funny lines. None of the tedious politics that bogged down some of the prequels.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 5
RE: Star Wars - 12/20/2015 6:58:53 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Who would have guessed that Chewbacca is Admiral Ackbar's father? ;)'

You're just trolling around, aren't you?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 6
RE: Star Wars - 12/20/2015 7:26:25 PM   
Zorch

Is there any truth to the rumor that JarJar Binks is a Sith Lord?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 7
RE: Star Wars - 12/20/2015 7:31:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Is there any truth to the rumor that JarJar Binks is a Sith Lord?

No, but Qui-Gon Jinn was one. That is why he insisted that Anakin should be trained.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 1:00:48 AM   
jamus34

Mr. Galinikous IS the butler.

Saw it, I enjoyed it.

To say more would give away secrets. Besides that, damn did the original cast get old. 40 years I guess is kind to no one (except maybe Elle McPherson and Christie Brinkley)

< Message edited by jamus34 -- 12/21/2015 2:04:36 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 3:42:56 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Saw the movie. I have to admit I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars, and I had very low expectations. The Original Star Wars, Empire, and 90% of Return (Ewoks sucked...should have been Wookies instead) were awesome movies. The rest was PC dribble and totally boring. Knowing what I know of JJ Abrams in the Star Trek universe, I guessed that this episode would be a disappointment...and it was.

The writing was horrible! PC and politics had to rear their ugly heads of course. And two of the new characters/actors were horribly cast:

Daisy Ridley (Rey) and John Boyega (Finn). These are two awful actors, but how much is really the fault of poor writing (very lacking in originality...everything is recycled)? Ridley is a total fail. Perhaps Boyega is perfectly cast for a Star Wars movie...but only as a storm trooper...never has to put on a helmet...notice how his downturned mouth mimics perfectly the shape of the storm trooper helmet? His acting ability should limit him to a storm trooper extra.

The best part of the movie: The Leni Riefenstahl rally.

Once again, pure garbage. I will not even give the next two a chance.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 10
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 6:12:28 AM   
zakblood

after the last few movies, tbh it could only get better, as nothing could have been as poor as the last few, and also like above think the new star trek is better, well last 2 have been, and the 3rd looks very good and atm is a breath of fresh air in a rather stale market, being a UK born, it's hard to get excited now days when most films are USA win the world, UK are almost always cast as the bad guy regarding actors etc, and the ending unless you think of walking dead and game of thrones . and also lord of the rings etc, nobody high up ever dies, so not very real, and some what boring and predicable with far too much special effacts and CGI, with next to no time spent on good script writting, just watched The Martian, that's also a few hours of my life i'll never get back.

not saying star wars is bad, but there doesn't seem to be as epic as the first 3, more carrying on with the second rate last ones tbh, which seems to be how it goes now days with follow on's

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 11
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 7:34:49 AM   
Franciscus

Hi

Watched it yesterday with wife and kids. Enjoyed it immensely. Fun, exciting, action-packed entertainment. Even emotional, as part of my teenager years "died" yesterday...

Of course, not the best movie ever, recycled scripting, some cheesy acting...but if you watch critically any of the 3 originals, that also really applies too. After all, in all of them some of the best acting were probably made by droids, some of which don't even talk :)

In latest years I have seen the best acting and scripting not in movies but in TV series. Just to name one of the best ones IMHO, True Detective season 1.

Regards

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 12/21/2015 8:36:38 AM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 2:41:26 PM   
Capt. Harlock

It official. Star Wars is everywhere.

(But who knew Darth Vader had gone gluten-free?)

Attachment (1)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 13
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 4:58:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Of course, not the best movie ever, recycled scripting, some cheesy acting...but if you watch critically any of the 3 originals, that also really applies too. After all, in all of them some of the best acting were probably made by droids, some of which don't even talk :)

I've got it! People, like zakblood and Jagdtiger14, had seen the original Star Wars movies when they were younger and less critical about movies. Now they are grumpy, old guys, reminiscing good old days while being critical and cynical towards anything new. Case in point. Did I got it right?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 14
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 6:58:37 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

It official. Star Wars is everywhere.

(But who knew Darth Vader had gone gluten-free?)

You can purchase a bag of Star Wars apples at your favorite grocery store.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 15
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 7:07:02 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

I've got it! People, like zakblood and Jagdtiger14, had seen the original Star Wars movies when they were younger and less critical about movies. Now they are grumpy, old guys, reminiscing good old days while being critical and cynical towards anything new. Case in point. Did I got it right?

Sir Alec Guinness, in a 1999 interview said it was his idea to kill Obi-wan. Why? "What I didn't tell Lucas was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo." He went on to say that he "shrivelled up" every time Star Wars was mentioned to him

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 8:23:23 PM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

I think you have something there! The reverse can be said as well...young people today didn't experience Star Wars the way we old guys did (I was 14 back then)...and there was nothing close to it other than Star Trek (which I remember watching when I was 4).

We were too happy to see something like this...ANYTHING...however, if you look at the actors in the original Star Wars...even the second and third tier actors were awesome. Far cry from today...and there is talent out there...ie...look what the recent Battlestar Galactica had for example.

For a long time now, Hollywood has lost its originality, and their politics almost always has to be expressed in their work.

Its not about cynical towards anything new...I like new...technology, travel, discoveries, etc...its just that when you are "old"...you are also experienced...and have seen lots of things that have worked and have not worked, etc... Its frustrating to see the younger generation recycle things that either don't work, or have already been done...such a waste of time for us older guys who don't have as much time as you do.

Ridley and Boyega along with the writing behind them were chosen for diversity reasons...which is not a good starting point for a good movie. If diversity is your goal, fine, get some good diverse actors...there are lots out there...why these too?

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 12/21/2015 9:37:01 PM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 8:42:40 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

We were too happy to see something like this...ANYTHING...however, if you look at the actors in the original Star Wars...even the second and third tier actors were awesome.

Hi, Jagdtiger14

I agree with some of the things you say, but you can't be serious about the original star wars movies actor quality.
Does anyone here thinks Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher are/were great actors ? .
Or, speaking of second-third tier, you mean Billy Dee Williams ?
Or that maybe Peter Cushing and Alec Guiness would look to their roles with particular pride ?

It WAS cheesy acting, but it WAS fun.

Regards

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 12/21/2015 9:46:09 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 18
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 11:29:44 PM   
Dorb

Waiting for the hype to die down then will check it out.

ps- I actually liked the last 3 movies, not sure what all the hate was about, just don't get it, but I'm 46 and recall seeing Star Wars when it came out with my older brother several times and it was the best thing ever. Younger folks these days expect way to much I guess.(yes Jar Jar Binks was bad, and I agree. But kept it kid funny.)

< Message edited by Dorb -- 12/22/2015 12:30:37 AM >

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 19
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 11:36:00 PM   
Anachro

I'll be seeing it Christmas Eve, but with much skepticism and trepidation... J. J. Abrams is vastly overrated as a director; and I doubt Disney actually came up with a decent script.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 20
RE: Star Wars - 12/21/2015 11:56:50 PM   
Ranger33

I went in without reading ANYTHING about it. I had only seen the first trailer or two so I was totally fresh. I'm 28 years old, so I'm kind of in that middle ground where I saw the originals as a kid (not in theaters, obviously), loved them, and then was disappointed by the prequels, but didn't hate them by any means. I thought this movie was stylistically a huge leap in the right direction, while some story elements were indeed a bit recycled. Hopefully this movie will serve as a nice jumping off point to the next two movies that will be better story-wise. I thought the new actors and characters did a great job, and Harrison Ford was obviously having a lot of fun reviving his old role.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 21
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 12:57:38 AM   
Zap

I will be going soon remembering how much I enjoyed the first three ; the second three just a little less. And now with the positive comments looking forward to the next

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 22
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 1:11:02 AM   
jamus34

I loved the sets and panning shots. One thing I'll give JJ is that he knows how to take great sweepers.

One of things I hated about the prequels was the use of CGI for EVERYTHING.

George Lucas: Hey, let's use one of our supercomputers to generate a bowl of apples right here.

Production Manager: Uhhh, George...we can go to the corner store, BUY a dozen apples, pick out the best 6 and not spend one thousandth of the amount to CGI them.

GL: Dammit this is my production and I want those *edited* computers to make me the most perfect bowl of apples imaginable...Heads will roll people if this is not perfect.

PM: Yes Sir (pulls out the blank check)

Plot was the weakest part in my mind. it's all been done before. That said, it's all been done before. It's rare that I encounter a purely fictional movie that it refreshingly new especially in the sci fi genre. I'm not the creative type so I don't know what can be done to create something refreshingly new...but I do know it's been a very long time since I've seen anything new. Memento while not true sci fi probably comes close for it's time. Donnie Darko. Some parts of Inception.

I am disheartened (and somewhat annoyed) that JJ is not doing the 2nd movie. It's obvious in what will be all three trilogies that the first movie is setting the plate. Why. as a highly touted director would you want to come in and set the plate and not sit down and eat your steak? I do see a lot of opened ended options they can go in...why not want to be a part of that.

As far as the actors...I have no real complaints. As someone earlier stated Hamill wasn't exactly a superstar. Ford was already an established star when SW came out, granted I imagine his portrayal of Han helped get Ford the Indy gig. The only other movie I can recall Fisher being in is Blues Brothers; while an enjoyable film; not exactly academy award stuff. Both actors are significantly better than Portman and Lloyd/Christensen.

I've been stating since seeing it that it's good. It's not earth shattering or life changing, but enjoyable and that's what I look for when going to the movies (as rare of an event as that is nowadays) I'll save the award winners at home when I can pause and replay parts as necessary to hear every last bit of dialogue.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 23
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 3:23:03 AM   
Titanwarrior89

It did the Star Wars Saga Justice. For me it was excellent(9 out 10). The best one compared to the last few that were released.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 24
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 6:42:19 AM   
Rebel Yell

Not perfect (what is?) but for a couple hours, this 53 year old was a kid again.

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 25
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 7:27:35 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

well aged 48 this year, you maybe right, as looking back with rose tinted spec's everything always looked better than maybe it was, but, and it's a big butt tbh, back in the day, when the first 3 came out, the scripts and actors imo were better, the hype market was less, it was more word of mouth in those days, so if all your mates went to see it, you did to as you didn't want to miss out or feel left out while others were taking about it, but today, the hype goes out first, your mates talk less about it, so you wonder if it's as good as the hype, most of my friends have now seen it, and to be very honest, next to none are talking about it, either online or on other methods, when asked they say on average it's ok, not as good as the first 3, but way better than the last ones, acting ok to average, and script a bit of a let down and not great, with the words predictable being used more often than not, so it seems while they all went, none wish to see it again any time soon, so hype 10 out of time again, actual film 6 maybe 7 if your a fan with a average block buster 5 for everyone else, and won't go down as a classic in there book.

so rose tinted glasses and age, and tbh i always make my own mind up, and care less what a unknown reviewers comments says as well i don't them, will make my own mind up, care less about advertising and hype and see it on the TV when it's out maybe next year or the year after on SKY etc, but will keep my money in my pocket again for now

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/22/2015 8:29:58 AM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 26
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 7:42:49 AM   
Citizen Emperor

Is it true that, in the film, characters standing on the surface of a planet are able to see -- with the naked eye -- multiple planets being destroyed in another solar system -- as in several light years away?

If so, then the script of THE FORCE AWAKENS is practically on the same level as SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS.

I mean, that's simply Face-Palm Worthy stupid. Inexcusably so.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 27
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 8:25:12 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Citizen Emperor: I agree! The science of Star Wars is all wrong. Just one of many: the fastest ship can go ".5 past light speed"...not sure what that means?...1.5 light speed? That means it would take over 3 years to get from Earth to our nearest star system Alpha Centauri. WooHoo! The only way this could work is if the Star Wars stars were located near the center of its galaxy and tightly compacted...but neighboring stars would cause astroids and comets to fly into the inner planets making life highly unlikely. Star Wars was not thought through very well.

(in reply to Citizen Emperor)
Post #: 28
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 9:01:56 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

Is it true that, in the film, characters standing on the surface of a planet are able to see -- with the naked eye -- multiple planets being destroyed in another solar system -- as in several light years away?

If so, then the script of THE FORCE AWAKENS is practically on the same level as SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS.

I mean, that's simply Face-Palm Worthy stupid. Inexcusably so.

Because seeing and dodging laser blasts, which travel at......light speed..... is so smart...... :)

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 12/22/2015 10:03:02 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 9:00:32 PM   
Challerain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

No

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Star Wars Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI