Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Political Points Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Political Points Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 2:06:56 AM   
adamc6

gang -- new to AE.

I had lots of political points and was husbanding them .... suddenly they are all gone and not gaining any.

There is very little in the manual on them....

Do they automatically drain for any reason? If I have units from one command at another command's base am I automatically charged?

Just curious....I'm in early Feb 42 and hope I didn't mess up big time.

Thank you.

AC

If hindsight is 20/20, what is foresight?
Post #: 1
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 2:22:07 AM   
rustysi

Some ships and/or air units are scheduled for withdrawal. If you do not do this they will be kept at a cost to PP's.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 2
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 2:27:08 AM   
BBfanboy

Political points (PP) are a device to slow down the ability to change units and leaders around.

You have to use PP to "buy" a new leader for a unit/ship/squadron/HQ etc. , and many units/squadrons are on "Restricted" status which means they cannot be transported by ship unless you pay PP to transfer them to an Unrestricted HQ. Still other units are permanently Restricted and cannot be bought out to a different command at all.

You probably made changes to unit leaders or HQ assignments without realizing that there is a PP cost to that. I did that first time out too!

Note that you do not need to use PP to march Restricted units across borders or to airlift them to another base that has the same HQ as the unit. However, in the spirit of the game most players impose a rule on themselves that they will not send a restricted unit across a national boundary without paying full PP for the privilege.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 3
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 2:31:21 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Some ships and/or air units are scheduled for withdrawal. If you do not do this they will be kept at a cost to PP's.

This is also a likely scenario, if you have the switch "No Unit Withdrawals" set to "off". The info screen for the ship/squadron/other unit will have a coloured line of text saying when it is due to withdraw. I believe ships have to be at a major base to withdraw, and not have total damage over 50 or 75 points.

EDIT: Correction - poster catwhoorg in Canoerebel's AAR happened to post the updated criteria for ship withdrawals:

from the readme

Allow ship withdrawals at any on map level-9 port and some
smaller ports with no enemy nearby. Ships can always be withdrawn from any off map
port or from any TF that is currently off map. Ships that are not badly damaged
can be withdrawn from some on-map ports or from TFs in certain on-map regions.
For on map, ship may not be on fire, total damage may not exceed 99 and no
individual damage type (system, floatation, engine) may exceed 50. Ships may not
be withdrawn from any on-map location where the enemy has air superiority. The
intent is to prevent withdrawal as a method of saving a ship that stands a good chance
of being lost or further damaged. On map withdrawal ports are set based on the
historical exit locations for ships leaving the Pacific:
1. Any level 9 port.
2. National home ports of the United States, Canada, India, Australia, and New
Zealand (with no port level requirement)
3. Any level 7 or larger port on the US or Canadian West Coast.
4. Any level 7 or larger Indian port East of Ceylon (including Ceylon itself)
5. Any level 7 or larger port in South Eastern Australia, plus Perth.
6. Any level 7 or larger port in New Zealand

That East of Ceylon should be West I think. But Yes a level 9 Columbo should allow withdrawals.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 12/20/2015 5:37:56 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 2:35:07 AM   
btd64

There are some ships that need to be withdrawn. Look in the Intel screen. On the right side you will see ship withdrawal. Those are the ones. You need to move them to a major port size 9, can't remember the details about the port requirements. I get up early and caught your post on the way to bed. But that's about it....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 12/20/2015 3:37:46 AM >

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 4:34:00 AM   
crsutton

rustysi has it right. There are both ships and air units that need to be withdrawn. If not the PP penalty is very high. Make sure you check.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 6
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 4:58:40 AM   
geofflambert

Turn everything that leads to automatic anything off. PPs can be swallowed by several things. Turn off auto upgrades, well auto anything and learn how to do it yourself. If you're Japanese, don't let anything happen to a factory that you did not specifically authorize. Use your PPs wisely (not easy to do), one area to spend them and remain a spendthrift is sub commanders. You can get excellent coms to replace jackandjills for only a point or two. I know early in the war you've got lots of stuff that needs PPs to fix, but you can't afford not to replace bad sub commanders. If you're not willing (or able) to upgrade the commander keep the sub in harbor 'til you can.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 5:17:00 AM   
geofflambert

Let's take auto-upgrades of LCUs. Turn all auto off! If the LCU is not on the front line there is no reason to upgrade its TOE. Before you order an LCU to upgrade, you must make sure the devices required for the upgrade are present. Before that you need to designate units (usually reserve, garrison or Manchukuo) to absorb obsolete devices.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 5:32:21 AM   
geofflambert

Upgrades left unsupervised with aircraft production is an area rife with the possibility of you making fantastic errors. You need to have a plan. When to allow R&D factories to convert to production. When not to allow that and instead set them to R&D for a different aircraft. I'm not just talking about upgrading one aircraft to another of the same type, according to the upgrade path which is given at the beginning. Occasionally you will need to convert one R&D factory to produce an aircraft of an entirely differenr type. This is one of the most critical areas for any competitor to work out. Coming into the game for the first time, it may be hard to understand the importance of air superiority, and, for that matter, the tactical importance of the decisions you make about air combat issues of many sorts.

Post #: 9
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 2:01:31 PM   
crsutton

Geoff, You may be confusing the original poster with the above. It is important that he understand that upgrades have nothing to do with PPs.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 10
RE: Political Points Question - 12/20/2015 6:53:28 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

1. Any level 9 port.

That East of Ceylon should be West I think. But Yes a level 9 Columbo should allow withdrawals.

BB, I know the above is "right" however I am still puzzled by the words used in #2 of this list. What constitutes a "National home port"??? Given #1 and #3 it would appear to be redundant. Are "National home ports" not at least level 7 or higher in the USA? In fact it looks like ANY level 7 or higher port in any location except the Eastern Indian Ocean not including Perth and Colombo. So in short, I guess I don't know what "National home ports" are!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Political Points Question - 12/21/2015 1:09:20 AM   
adamc6

Thanks Gents. Yeah, I think I blew it on withdrawals!

I guess I have some catching up to do.

AC

If hindsight is 20/20, what is foresight?

(in reply to adamc6)
Post #: 12
RE: Political Points Question - 12/21/2015 1:11:42 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

1. Any level 9 port.

BB, I know the above is "right" however I am still puzzled by the words used in #2 of this list. What constitutes a "National home port"??? Given #1 and #3 it would appear to be redundant. Are "National home ports" not at least level 7 or higher in the USA? In fact it looks like ANY level 7 or higher port in any location except the Eastern Indian Ocean not including Perth and Colombo. So in short, I guess I don't know what "National home ports" are!

Not all national ports start off at level 7. Auckland starts off at only level 5 but withdrawals work there because it is the NZ national port.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Political Points Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI