Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2015 12:11:16 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Sure, if they go to war with Finland or Rumania and those countries attack into or enter Russian home country hexes. Also Russia gets her city bumps in '42 and '43 regardless (if they hold them then) so if Germany never attacks her (the strategy known as Sitzkreig), Russia can still grow into a monster.

OK, Thanks.

Ronnie

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 571
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/19/2015 12:09:49 AM   
rkr1958

Another Blind Squirrel Learning Moment for Me.

I mistakenly returned 5 USN ships to the damaged port of Truk instead of 4. I caught this mistake when I made a screen cap for my AAR. Oh well, I thought I'll have to lose (i.e., scuttle) one of the two WW-I battleships (USS Mississippi or USS Nevada). To my surprise, since the USS Iowa was loaded with the 2-4 USA marine engineer and also returned to Truk, Truk was repaired back to a major port and, thus I didn't have to scuttle any ships. I did intentionally returned the engineering to repair the port but didn't realize that repair happened between the return to base and any phase where the USA would have been overstacked. If I had know this I would have returned more ships to Truk.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 572
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/19/2015 4:49:09 AM   
paulderynck

If MWiF were a video game a good description of this would be: "You have discovered a cheat."

But it's actually a low level bug. All the references to Construction Engineers in the original rules and in the Players Manual say the repair happens "in the next production step" which means you should not be able to overstack there because RTB is before Production in the sequence of play. We discovered (and reported) this same bug for factory repair in our multi-player Teamviewer game when we saw that captured factories with an engineer in them were producing that same turn as opposed to the next turn.

Given that very few players use the Construction Engineer option and the bug is relatively innocuous, I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 573
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/19/2015 11:40:41 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

If MWiF were a video game a good description of this would be: "You have discovered a cheat."

But it's actually a low level bug. All the references to Construction Engineers in the original rules and in the Players Manual say the repair happens "in the next production step" which means you should not be able to overstack there because RTB is before Production in the sequence of play. We discovered (and reported) this same bug for factory repair in our multi-player Teamviewer game when we saw that captured factories with an engineer in them were producing that same turn as opposed to the next turn.

Given that very few players use the Construction Engineer option and the bug is relatively innocuous, I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon.
Alright then, I'll won't exploit this since it's not a legal move.

Ronnie

Post #: 574
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/20/2015 1:08:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

quote:

I made the change (version 2.1.1.5) to check for overstacking at the end of the Return To Base phases (it was easy to do). I also inserted a check for damaged naval units in port so they get moved to the Repair Pool before the check for overstacking. This is presently how the end of phase for Naval Movement is currently processed.

So your move would generate an overstacking complaint - provided none of the units was damaged. If there were one or more damaged naval units, then it/they would be moved to the Repair Pool first, and no overstacking would exist.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 575
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/20/2015 11:33:25 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

I made the change (version 2.1.1.5) to check for overstacking at the end of the Return To Base phases (it was easy to do). I also inserted a check for damaged naval units in port so they get moved to the Repair Pool before the check for overstacking. This is presently how the end of phase for Naval Movement is currently processed.

So your move would generate an overstacking complaint - provided none of the units was damaged. If there were one or more damaged naval units, then it/they would be moved to the Repair Pool first, and no overstacking would exist.
None of the five naval units were damaged. The only notification I got was that Truk was repaired and all five naval units were there after that.

If this is a bug I do have a game save from which I should be able to recreate this. Do you want me to and post in the tech forum? If so, I could do that this evening after work.

Ronnie

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 576
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/23/2015 1:14:07 AM   
rkr1958

My blind squirrel finds another acorn.

The situation is that the CV Bunker Hill and Intrepid arrived this turn in San Diego. However, their "planes" the two F4F-4 were already in San Diego and have been for 2 or 3 turns now. Until now, I thought I had to wait until the air rebase mode to put those planes on the carriers, however, I round that I could right click on a plane and then on a carrier and those planes would be put there.

By the way, the SBC-4 and SDB-1 in the setup tray were also deployed and both carriers were filled up. I knew that planes in the setup tray could be deployed to carriers but didn't know until now that planes already on the board could too during placement of reinforcements.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 577
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/23/2015 5:02:42 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

The situation is that the CV Bunker Hill and Intrepid arrived this turn in San Diego. However, their "planes" the two F4F-4 were already in San Diego and have been for 2 or 3 turns now. Until now, I thought I had to wait until the air rebase mode to put those planes on the carriers, however, I round that I could right click on a plane and then on a carrier and those planes would be put there.

By the way, the SBC-4 and SDB-1 in the setup tray were also deployed and both carriers were filled up. I knew that planes in the setup tray could be deployed to carriers but didn't know until now that planes already on the board could too during placement of reinforcements.

Unless there has been a rules change I am not aware of (which happens), this is a bug, not a feature. New CVPs can be put on existing carriers (including carriers built that turn), but new carriers should not be able to suck up already existing CVPs. Of course, if one has foresight (hah! ), what one can do is pull the CVPs off the map the turn before during the Remove Air portion of the reinforcement step, and bring them back the turn the carriers arrive. (Since the carriers are arriving in the hex, you will be able to remove air units from there.)

Having to remember to do this is annoying and pointless, so it is possible that someone made a rules change allowing a new carrier to suck up an already existing CVP. It would make sense. However, I do not know if any such change has been made. If it hasn't, this is a bug, but let's not tell anyone. It can be MWiF's first house rule. If one doesn't want to allow it, simply don't do it.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 578
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/23/2015 10:35:41 AM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

Unless there has been a rules change I am not aware of (which happens), this is a bug, not a feature. New CVPs can be put on existing carriers (including carriers built that turn), but new carriers should not be able to suck up already existing CVPs. Of course, if one has foresight (hah! ), what one can do is pull the CVPs off the map the turn before during the Remove Air portion of the reinforcement step, and bring them back the turn the carriers arrive. (Since the carriers are arriving in the hex, you will be able to remove air units from there.)

Having to remember to do this is annoying and pointless, so it is possible that someone made a rules change allowing a new carrier to suck up an already existing CVP. It would make sense. However, I do not know if any such change has been made. If it hasn't, this is a bug, but let's not tell anyone. It can be MWiF's first house rule. If one doesn't want to allow it, simply don't do it.

+1. Since it is a voluntary action, don't fix it. Nice house rule...

Peter

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 579
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/23/2015 5:42:07 PM   
paulderynck

... and one step towards the eventual conversion to RAW8.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 580
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/24/2015 6:56:19 AM   
Joseignacio

Post #: 581
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 5:16:18 PM   
rkr1958

Would you ever let subs/u-boats drop to the 0-box or would you return them to port? Can subs/u-boats in the 0-box do any good? Well, any good, except as a waypoint to other ports /sea areas.

Ronnie

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 582
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 5:29:57 PM   
paulderynck

If enemy convoys are there, you still have a one in 10 chance to find them next turn if the weather is fine, but I would never leave them out in the zero box.

Generally the only time to leave them out is if they are not disorganized and there's a very good chance enemy units will RTB through their sea zone, especially if they are in the 3-box and even more especially if enemy convoys are also present, since if there's an RTB interception battle, they'll get another chance to search for the convoys if the subs are still around, unless the enemy aborts all his forces which is also a good outcome so close to the production phase.

Otherwise all that leaving them out does is subtract one tenth from their chances to find in the next turn, albeit you'll need to take an action choice that will get them out to sea again. Thus it's a bigger consideration for Germany as opposed to the other powers.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 12/22/2015 6:30:49 PM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 583
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 7:07:15 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

If enemy convoys are there, you still have a one in 10 chance to find them next turn if the weather is fine, but I would never leave them out in the zero box.

Generally the only time to leave them out is if they are not disorganized and there's a very good chance enemy units will RTB through their sea zone, especially if they are in the 3-box and even more especially if enemy convoys are also present, since if there's an RTB interception battle, they'll get another chance to search for the convoys if the subs are still around, unless the enemy aborts all his forces which is also a good outcome so close to the production phase.

Otherwise all that leaving them out does is subtract one tenth from their chances to find in the next turn, albeit you'll need to take an action choice that will get them out to sea again. Thus it's a bigger consideration for Germany as opposed to the other powers.
So if I understand correctly, in general you return all subs/u-boats during the RTB unless they're in a high sea box (3 or 4) and are in position to intercept allied RTB's?

Ronnie

Post #: 584
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 9:29:11 PM   
AlbertN

If you can afford to re-oil them; sure.

The only exception usually is Germany, because they struggle to take a Combined / Naval action -- especially after Barbarossa. (Maybe in some Winter turns - but in most cases an Air is much better than Naval to let the Luftwaffe catch up with the front)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 585
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 10:13:22 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

If you can afford to re-oil them; sure.

The only exception usually is Germany, because they struggle to take a Combined / Naval action -- especially after Barbarossa. (Maybe in some Winter turns - but in most cases an Air is much better than Naval to let the Luftwaffe catch up with the front)

O.K. thanks.

Now another question. As I believe is the case, "USSR Japan Compulsory Peace" optional rule isn't programmed yet?

After my last game I feel this rule might be an important one to enforce in MWiF. Does anyone else enforce this rule? And if so, how? By the way, I notice the wording in the RAW (see below), "... during the first war between ..." is used twice. This implies that there could be a second war between Japan and the USSR and if so that this rule no longer applies. My question is if I were to enforce a compulsory peace then under what conditions could either Japan or the Soviet Union start a second war?

From the MWiF help form under optional rules -

"USSR Japan Compulsory Peace [RAW option 50 section 13.7.3]

This optional rule reflects the willingness of both the USSR and Japan to remain at peace with each other
during WW II. Though they had been fighting a mostly unreported little war along the Manchurian border for
some time prior to Germany's invasion of Poland, they both felt a lot of pressure on other fronts: from Germany
for the USSR and from the USA and the Commonwealth for Japan. Agreeing to peace with each other was in
both of their self-interests.

If Japan controls Vladivostok during the first war between Japan and the USSR, the Japanese player must
agree to a peace if the Soviet player wants one. Similarly, if the USSR controls 3 or more resources that were
Japanese controlled at the start of the war, the Soviet player must agree to a peace if the Japanese player
wants one.

In either case, the new Russo-Japanese border is established by the hexes each controls at the time of the
compulsory peace. Any pocket of non-coastal hexes wholly surrounded by hexes controlled by the other major
power becomes controlled by the major power whose hexes surround them."

Ronnie

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 586
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 10:56:46 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

Now another question. As I believe is the case, "USSR Japan Compulsory Peace" optional rule isn't programmed yet?

After my last game I feel this rule might be an important one to enforce in MWiF. Does anyone else enforce this rule? And if so, how? By the way, I notice the wording in the RAW (see below), "... during the first war between ..." is used twice. This implies that there could be a second war between Japan and the USSR and if so that this rule no longer applies. My question is if I were to enforce a compulsory peace then under what conditions could either Japan or the Soviet Union start a second war?

From the MWiF help form under optional rules -

"USSR Japan Compulsory Peace [RAW option 50 section 13.7.3]

This optional rule reflects the willingness of both the USSR and Japan to remain at peace with each other
during WW II. Though they had been fighting a mostly unreported little war along the Manchurian border for
some time prior to Germany's invasion of Poland, they both felt a lot of pressure on other fronts: from Germany
for the USSR and from the USA and the Commonwealth for Japan. Agreeing to peace with each other was in
both of their self-interests.

If Japan controls Vladivostok during the first war between Japan and the USSR, the Japanese player must
agree to a peace if the Soviet player wants one. Similarly, if the USSR controls 3 or more resources that were
Japanese controlled at the start of the war, the Soviet player must agree to a peace if the Japanese player
wants one.

In either case, the new Russo-Japanese border is established by the hexes each controls at the time of the
compulsory peace. Any pocket of non-coastal hexes wholly surrounded by hexes controlled by the other major
power becomes controlled by the major power whose hexes surround them."

One can impose the rule as written by hand, except for the enclosed territory changing hands. The two countries will remain at war, but just don't have each other attack each other. Also, if the USSR is at war with no other major power, only let it take combineds, and do not let it build any more militia.

This is not totally correct, but I believe that this is a such an important rule, and one I always use, that I enforce it as best I can.

There is a "Clarification", to the rule, actually a change, that makes the enforced peace harsher, especially against the Russians. I do not like it at all.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 587
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/22/2015 11:12:26 PM   
AlbertN

There would be also the matter of the Reserves which would disappear in case of Russia not being at war with Major powers.

But by how MWiF is shaped I tend to warmly suggest to house rule that Soviet Russia cannot DoW Japan. (At least in the early game)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 588
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/23/2015 12:21:36 AM   
paulderynck

Another problem ties into Ronnie's question about how a second war starts. In the boardgame, upon Peace, a Neutrality pact is established with Japan drawing a chit every second turn and Russia still drawing one, whether or not it still has a pact with Germany. To start a second war, one side or the other has to be in a position to break the others garrison similar to how the N-S Pact is broken. This is probably one of (if not the most) complicated parts to program in order to add this rule to MWiF. If the N-S Pact still exists, it is also very hard for players trying to make the rule work in a workaround fashion because chits can move from one Pact to the other, and when drawn can be placed on one border or the other.

If Russia is trying a Stuff strategy, she won't place any chits against Japan, but if Russia is defending further inside its borders - or decides it will drop back because it does not expect to be able to hold garrison - then Russia will put new chits on the Japanese border and start transferring high value ones to that border.

Paul

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 589
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/23/2015 9:39:00 AM   
Centuur

Which brings us to two other standard rules which are not coded at the moment. I've seen games where in the first turn, the Japanese and the USSR voluntarily agree to a neutrality pact from the start. Also, if they start a war, both sides may conclude that it isn't in their mutual interest to continue the fighting. The voluntary peace rule should be possible to apply to such situation, as can be done in the board game.

I don't know if the switching of chits between neutrality pacts would be that difficult to code. I'm not a programmer, but what really happens is a "cut and paste" action of a value. That seems pretty straight forward to me. Personally I believe that the exchange of territory and possible trade agreements between sides are much more difficult to code when talking about voluntary peace or voluntary neutrality pacts. One can come to all kind of agreements when discussing voluntary peace or a neutrality pact where that's concerned...

For a multiplayer game, these rules are necessary...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/23/2015 10:39:46 AM >

Peter

Post #: 590
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/24/2015 3:41:12 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

There would be also the matter of the Reserves which would disappear in case of Russia not being at war with Major powers.

But by how MWiF is shaped I tend to warmly suggest to house rule that Soviet Russia cannot DoW Japan. (At least in the early game)
The problem I see with that is that it would leave Japan free to strip all their forces from Manchuria and Korea and use them elsewhere. I did that as the Japanese player in my just completed AAR. However, this left Japan so weak in those two countries that the Soviets invaded and easily took both from Japan. To me some implementation of this rule that allows for both Japan to attack the USSR or the USSR to attack Japan is very necessary. Hence my thinking for applying this optional rule as a house rule. I guess the only sticking point is once a "peace" is enforced how and when could that be broken?

Ronnie

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 591
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/24/2015 4:00:35 AM   
paulderynck

You could just negotiate (or specify if Solitaire) a time limit after which all bets are off, like countries did in treaties back in the 16 and 17 hundreds.

It's usually 2 years at least before a garrison value with chits can be broken.

Alternatively, use the garrison value rules and forget the chits. Even with the chits, players can usually spot the war clouds forming on the horizon.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 12/24/2015 5:03:34 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 592
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/24/2015 2:30:37 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

quote:

The problem I see with that is that it would leave Japan free to strip all their forces from Manchuria and Korea and use them elsewhere. I did that as the Japanese player in my just completed AAR. However, this left Japan so weak in those two countries that the Soviets invaded and easily took both from Japan. To me some implementation of this rule that allows for both Japan to attack the USSR or the USSR to attack Japan is very necessary. Hence my thinking for applying this optional rule as a house rule. I guess the only sticking point is once a "peace" is enforced how and when could that be broken?

Use the rule as written. MWiF does not currently implement peace treaties other than the Nazi-Soviet Pact, but the rules are there. No attack first year, have to break garrison values after that. The players would have to keep track of garrison values and garrison chits, but that can certainly be done.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 593
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/24/2015 6:00:07 PM   
paulderynck

Keeping track of garrison chits, unless the NS Pact does not exist, would be quite problematical - for the reasons cited above. How could the Russians move chits between the two garrisons when one is in MWiF and one is being tracked external to the game? How would the Russians transfer a picked NS Pact chit to the Japanese border? How would "external chits" be verified by the opponent?

We used to play it that Russia drew a chit for each pact (if they both existed) but that is incorrect; the rules specify only Germany draws two and other majors draw one, no matter how many pacts they manage to enter into.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 12/24/2015 7:01:15 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 594
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/25/2015 4:12:07 PM   
rkr1958

Thanks! Until the program handles the enforced peace I personally would like to keep things simple. So, I like the idea of a fixed time for the enforced peace, say two years after which either side is free to attack the other.

Ronnie

Post #: 595
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/25/2015 5:21:05 PM   
paulderynck

Personally I think garrison ratio without chits is better. Otherwise Russia has a big advantage because she can often bring on a lot of reinforcements close to the border, whereas Japan's must appear in Japan unless they are Manchurians. Japan could try and anticipate what can appear out of the blue and maintain a minimum garrison. Also in years one and two, defensive garrisons are much harder to break, without a large commitment of units, so thus the other power should rightly see that something is brewing.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 596
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/25/2015 5:45:47 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

Personally I think garrison ratio without chits is better. Otherwise Russia has a big advantage because she can often bring on a lot of reinforcements close to the border, whereas Japan's must appear in Japan unless they are Manchurians. Japan could try and anticipate what can appear out of the blue and maintain a minimum garrison. Also in years one and two, defensive garrisons are much harder to break, without a large commitment of units, so thus the other power should rightly see that something is brewing.

Ok then, garrison ratios without chits. What ratios would you use?

1st year: No break or would allow if given certain ratio?

2nd year: ratio?

3rd year: ratio?

Ronnie

Post #: 597
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/25/2015 6:00:04 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

quote:

Use the rules as written: No break the first year; 2:1 ratio after that, with defender doubled the first year, times one the second, times one half the third, one third the fourth, etc.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 598
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/25/2015 6:11:33 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

quote:

Use the rules as written: No break the first year; 2:1 ratio after that, with defender doubled the first year, times one the second, times one half the third, one third the fourth, etc.
O.K., I assume you count all units within 3 hexes of the new border?

Ronnie

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 599
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 12/25/2015 7:17:54 PM   
Centuur

Yes, it's the same as the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact...

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI