Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ACW AI v Waterloo AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> ACW AI v Waterloo AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 12/24/2015 5:27:41 AM   
Tony1961

Although the Waterloo scenarios look great, I'm not finding them as satisfying to play as Gettysburg. The main reason, I think, is the AI doesn't seem to work as well. For example, the commanders are all suicidal and march blindly into the enemy lines. In Gettysburg, they have the sense to stop behind their lines. Stopping the Waterloo commanders requires a fair degree of micro-management.
Post #: 1
RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 12/24/2015 7:17:36 AM   
zakblood

not a tech support question, please move back to main, thanks mods

(in reply to Tony1961)
Post #: 2
RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 12/24/2015 8:16:02 AM   
Mr Digby

Have you read Mitra's series of guides on the WL AI? Its been improved a lot since Gettysburg and I find the opposite to be true! WL brigade commanders are more careful with their units to a large degree and you certainly don't see the weird effects you'd sometimes see in GB. Brigades deploy earlier and further from a late meeting with an enemy unlike in GB. Remember too that this is a different era and continent with a different style of combat. Napoleonic combat involved (generally speaking) more aggression and more attempts to drive an enemy off a position with a physical approach by battalions and squadrons and less with firepower.

Cavalry of course is all about physical contact (unless its about threat and presence) so you may see some cavalry commanders getting in the thick of it.

Is the issue showing up in a specific scenario or in sandbox? If so what OOB and map?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 12/28/2015 7:14:10 AM   
Tony1961

I see it in everything. I tell the unit where to go and the commander dutifully marches to that spot, usually right through enemy lines, and dies very quickly.

(in reply to Mr Digby)
Post #: 4
RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 12/28/2015 8:27:58 AM   
Mr Digby

Are you TC'ing him, or giving him a stance? If you TC him, he will because you have turned the AI off entirely.

(in reply to Tony1961)
Post #: 5
RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 2/11/2016 3:21:30 PM   
freeboy

I think the poster was talking about HIS units ia and not the enemy
ITs a very Micro managed type game... love it or hate it thats the direction this series is going ....
I was imagining this level of detail for a remake of Iron men and wooden ships...

CHARGE!!!

(in reply to Mr Digby)
Post #: 6
RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI - 2/11/2016 6:56:18 PM   
Mr Digby

You can micro-manage if you want or not. I used to TC units a lot in Gettysburg but with Waterloo I trust the AI to be more sensible and find myself often not TCing any units or commanders, just giving them formations and stances. Its very satisfying to see your AI brigade go and kick the backside of another players brigade, who, from the way his general is galloping back and forth you know is TCing his troops ;)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> ACW AI v Waterloo AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI