Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 12/18/2015 11:12:06 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Thanks for the update Red Lancer (John)!

Is the map going to be generally the same colors? From the looks of the AARs I'm one of the few that enjoy the original map.
I do find Jison's map fantastic but feel more comfortable with the initial release map.

It's the same map as WitW but we are working on some necessary improvements. Double rail lines and how we show variable road quality (which can now be set by individual hex and not just country) are currently quite important.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 211
RE: WitE 2 - 12/18/2015 11:13:11 AM   
Steelwarrior7

quote:

The quitting problem is huge but your point begs the question of what a German 'win' is. If someone thinks that is a Russian surrender, then the game will (rightly) almost always disappoint anyone playing against a human. After all, IRL the war was neither a German win nor a draw. My approach has always been to decide who won by comparison to the historical outcome ie the date of the fall of Berlin. That gives the German much more of a chance than the game's much later end date.

I do not agree on quitting in a PBEM game at all - because it is unpolite - but the nerf bat that Germany receives - as explained above - additionally to the weaker position, is also just too much. I believe Germany could have at least acheived some kind of stalemate - also by managing the Winter better and not having Stalingrad happen as it did - actually Germany did not have that much less manpower then the SOV (check the population stats and the many children in Germany and add in Germanies allies) and the SOV would have run out of manpower at a point - if the AXIS would have continued to fight smart...it is just that the SOV did mobilize its manpower in comparison to its pop (so % wise) much more and the AXIS wasted its at times also (plus Germany was actually lighter on its own pop, by not sending women to the front - and no old and young until very late in the war - but with no Stalingrad and bad winter 41 plus some unnecessary no retreat orders and counter attacks (for example Kursk) - which a human player could do smarter - the will of the AXIS population to fight could have been much higher and by that also the mobilzed manpower) - so saying if the AXIS would have done better, like mentioned above, they could have come to a point where the mapower of the SOV was being exhausted (they did not have modern Chinas pop LOL - and additionally to the high losses at the front they had high civilian losses due to AXIS forces and crazy Stalin and his party. Now check the AARS and you will see many times more than 10 million losses for the SOV and another 10 million army - that is neither realistic nor historical - but due to the game engine giving the SOV a never exhausting MP pool) and by that a stalemate would have been enforced. What I believe many forget is - yes the SOV mobilized a huge manpower - but they could not have been mobilizing that much more - they already used women at the front...so if the AXIS could have inflicted more losses due to smarter dealing with their challenges and keeping a good defendable front and their own army intact - they may have been able to force a stalemate...not that in RL I would have wished for it ;-D But it is not impossible ;-D and should be recognized in a game like this...

Especially for a PBEM it would mean that both sides have limited offensive abilities until the end date - both can win due to smart offense and defense and losse due to bad offense and defense - that would result in a very exciting, open and dynamic campaign istead of a rather repetitive SOV grind against purely defensive AXIS from late 42 on...

Even more in an alternative scenario - Hitler is dead scenario (there were enough assasination attempts of which many failed due to bad luck) - , where the goons would not have abused the population of the Ukranians and Baltic states and the Jews and Western Europe - could have resulted in a much higher MP for the AXIS from Northern Europe, Western Europe and Baltic, Ukranian and Eastern European States...as they would have seen Stalin as the higher threat - than a German 4th Supreme Command - actually, the SOV profited mostly from the Nazis being worse than them - but they also murdered, raped, persecuted and tortured (remember aggressive wars like Finnland, Poland, Baltic States and claims on Romania? All before Barbarossa...) - just a little less than the Nazis...

Add in all the bad decisions done differently - which can be mostly directly linked to crazy Hitler and his high ranking Nazi buddies - more interceptors to defend the industry and manpower, better ressource management - due to being aware it is a long war - and the growing technological advantage and there is a stalemate in the West (due to a highly risky invasion - the intact, stronger German army could have defeated an invasion) and in the East - as the SOV run out of manpower for constant grinding costly attacks...it would still mean both are possible - invasions in the West and succesful offenses in the East - but AXIS player could punish a bad execution of these up to the point of being able to push back...
No NM script nerf bat, no more and more nerfed supply situation for the AXIS, real gains possible manpower and industry wise and not an unending manpower for the SOV and we should see quite a different picture...then VPs would need to get rebalanced maybe...
Again especially PBEMs would profit from a more dynamic, exciting, creative, free and open campaign...instead of a one sided, repetitive grind most of the time...the 4th Supreme command has been done already for WitW so why not for WitE? Just dreaming ;-D

Not to be misunderstood - I appreciate the effort of all devs - it still is the best War in the East game (I also own WitW and WitP AE - they are all best and most detailed of their theatre) and alone the number of patches and time of support is impressive - but there could be some improvements ;-D

< Message edited by Steelwarrior7 -- 12/23/2015 6:44:56 AM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 212
RE: WitE 2 - 12/18/2015 11:13:27 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Thanks for the update Red Lancer (John)!

Is the map going to be generally the same colors? From the looks of the AARs I'm one of the few that enjoy the original map.
I do find Jison's map fantastic but feel more comfortable with the initial release map.

It's the same map as WitW but we are working on some necessary improvements. Double rail lines and how we show variable road quality (which can now be set by individual hex and not just country) are currently quite important.

Am I looking forward to that!

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 213
RE: WitE 2 - 12/21/2015 11:26:20 AM   
Mehring

One way to encourage early war Russian aggression might be to separate experience in attack from that in defence. The logistics and tactics of attack are quite different from those of defence. Yet it is possible for the Russians to keep running east all year, often gaining experience only in defence, then magically counter-attack when the weather turns as if they have somehow learned how to attack over the summer. This can extend into 1942, with the hindsight enabled player defending until they have accumulated sufficient numerical superiority to go over to the offensive and win.

Experience in attack and defence could be hooked to national morale as well as the units involved in each battle, it's level perhaps being pegged, along with other factors, to the lowest 'pool' of the two experience types.

Given that we learn at least as much from failure as from success, I'd suggest that experience be derived from all combat, not just wins. This would also encourage a forward defence.

< Message edited by Mehring -- 12/21/2015 12:41:03 PM >

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 214
RE: WitE 2 - 12/21/2015 1:40:18 PM   
amatteucci

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring
Given that we learn at least as much from failure as from success, I'd suggest that experience be derived from all combat, not just wins. This would also encourage a forward defence.

+1

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 215
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 3:57:15 PM   
Seminole

I haven't played WitE in a while. I started playing mainly as the Soviets to learn the game, but got tired of opponents abandoning the game and quit playing.

I've been playing WitW over the last year, and the main concern I've developed with respect to how this game/logistics engine will function on the Eastern Front is how crippled panzer formations are by the loss of vehicles.
I'm yet to find a way to reliably rectify this, even when I have a motor pool over 30k+.

If HQBU is going to be dropped, I think a method for the player to focus vehicle replacements into motorized units will be a must.

I've posted several AARs, and have been able to conduct plenty of mobile warfare, but once you get the motorized units more than 3 hexes from depots (inside of which they can use 'organic' transport instead of trucks) the logistics engine seems to rob a lot of vehicles from the unit to supply the unit. Quickly MPs are reduced into the 30s, and good luck ever getting them back up.

I've had units on refit for a year in France, and they can't fill out their vehicle TOE.

I'm having trouble seeing how the Barbarossa and Case Blue type offensives won't falter on this point.

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 216
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 5:00:37 PM   
morvael

Looks like a bug / WAD but bad. Motorized units should hold to their motorized supply columns.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 217
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 6:26:51 PM   
Great_Ajax

To be fair, motorization was a serious problem with the Wehrmacht throughout the war. The German Army in France had units rebuilding from early 1944 and by June, they were still 40-75% short of authorized motor vehicles even though they were stuffed with armored fighting vehicles. The two SS Panzer Divisions struggled to get their units to Normandy because of this issue.

I agree that being able to prioritize vehicle replacements is important and replacement priorities is something me and Pavel are talking about.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

I haven't played WitE in a while. I started playing mainly as the Soviets to learn the game, but got tired of opponents abandoning the game and quit playing.

I've been playing WitW over the last year, and the main concern I've developed with respect to how this game/logistics engine will function on the Eastern Front is how crippled panzer formations are by the loss of vehicles.
I'm yet to find a way to reliably rectify this, even when I have a motor pool over 30k+.

If HQBU is going to be dropped, I think a method for the player to focus vehicle replacements into motorized units will be a must.

I've posted several AARs, and have been able to conduct plenty of mobile warfare, but once you get the motorized units more than 3 hexes from depots (inside of which they can use 'organic' transport instead of trucks) the logistics engine seems to rob a lot of vehicles from the unit to supply the unit. Quickly MPs are reduced into the 30s, and good luck ever getting them back up.

I've had units on refit for a year in France, and they can't fill out their vehicle TOE.

I'm having trouble seeing how the Barbarossa and Case Blue type offensives won't falter on this point.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 218
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 9:20:03 PM   
Seminole

quote:

To be fair, motorization was a serious problem with the Wehrmacht throughout the war. The German Army in France had units rebuilding from early 1944 and by June, they were still 40-75% short of authorized motor vehicles even though they were stuffed with armored fighting vehicles. The two SS Panzer Divisions struggled to get their units to Normandy because of this issue.

Not questioning the historical accuracy of German vehicle shortages in the war, just think a point of focus in testing should be this change introduced with WitW to determine MP in part by vehicle allotment. It's going to have a much bigger impact given the scope of the Eastern Front.

quote:

I agree that being able to prioritize vehicle replacements is important and replacement priorities is something me and Pavel are talking about.

Can I provide a case in point for some indication of how best within the way the game works now to address this prioritization?

The 9th SS is a fat and happy little unit that has been resting in Vienna and now Milan (both national supply sources) for a few weeks (moved only by rail in the last month).

Aside from a few items their TOE is blessed.

This is an EF box game, which should inflate the number of trucks you see in the depots, but I'm showing a motor pool of 30k trucks.

As the player, what can I do to draw down that truck motor pool and get 9th SS Panzers vehicle allotment at least at a point it isn't crippling their mobility?

I could spend AP on a non-motorized unit and draw trucks from the pool into that unit. Some kind of function like that might be needed for arm/mech/mot units. When you combine the truck loss from movement itself and then add in the losses from resupply (20.1.7.1. Emergency Use of Vehicles) I think the historical panzer pace would be hard to match without something like that.

"In July 1941, Balck became Spar-kommissar at the Office of the Director of Army Equipment in Berlin. His task was to make up for vehicle losses in Russia. Over a four-month period, he stripped 100,000 vehicles and their crews from uncommitted units and transferred them to the combat forces."

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 219
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 10:02:29 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelwarrior7

quote:

The quitting problem is huge but your point begs the question of what a German 'win' is. If someone thinks that is a Russian surrender, then the game will (rightly) almost always disappoint anyone playing against a human. After all, IRL the war was neither a German win nor a draw. My approach has always been to decide who won by comparison to the historical outcome ie the date of the fall of Berlin. That gives the German much more of a chance than the game's much later end date.

I do not agree on quitting in a PBEM game at all - because it is unpolite - but the nerf bat that Germany receives - as explained above - additionally to the weaker position, is also just too much. I believe Germany could have at least acheived some kind of stalemate - also by managing the Winter better and not having Stalingrad happen as it did - actually Germany did not have that much less manpower then the SOV (check the population stats and the many children in Germany and add in Germanies allies) and the SOV would have run out of manpower at a point - if the AXIS would have continued to fight smart...it is just that the SOV did mobilize its manpower in comparison to its pop (so % wise) much more and the AXIS wasted its at times also (plus Germany was actually lighter on its own pop, by not sending women to the front - and no old and young until very late in the war - but with no Stalingrad and bad winter 41 plus some unnecessary no retreat orders and counter attacks (for example Kursk) - which a human player could do smarter - the will of the AXIS population to fight could have been much higher and by that also the mobilzed manpower) - so saying if the AXIS would have done better, like mentioned above, they could have come to a point where the mapower of the SOV was being exhausted (they did not have modern Chinas pop LOL - and additionally to the high losses at the front they had high civilian losses due to AXIS forces and crazy Stalin and his party. Now check the AARS and you will see many times more than 10 million losses for the SOV and another 10 million army - that is neither realistic nor historical - but due to the game engine giving the SOV a never exhausting MP pool) and by that a stalemate would have been enforced. What I believe many forget is - yes the SOV mobilized a huge manpower - but they could not have been mobilizing that much more - they already used women at the front...so if the AXIS could have inflicted more losses due to smarter dealing with their challenges and keeping a good defendably front and their own army intact - they may have been able to force a stalemate...not that in RL I would have wished for it ;-D But it is not impossible ;-D and should be recognized in a game like this...

Especially for a PBEM it would mean that both sides have limited offensive abilities until the end date - both can win due to smart offense and defense and losse due to bad offense and defense - that would result in a very exciting, open and dynamic campaign istead of a rather repetitive SOV grind against purely defensive AXIS from late 42 on...

Even more in an alternative scenario - Hitler is dead scenario (there were enough assasination attempts of which many failed due to bad luck) - , where the goons would not have abused the population of the Ukranians and Baltic states and the Jews and Western Europe - could have resulted in a much higher MP for the AXIS from Northern Europe, Western Europe and Baltic, Ukranian and Eastern European States...as they would have seen Stalin as the higher threat - than a German 4th Supreme Command - actually, the SOV profited mostly from the Nazis being worse than them - but they also murdered, raped, persecuted and tortured (remember aggressive wars like Finnland, Poland, Baltic States and claims on Romania? All before Barbarossa...) - just a little less than the Nazis...

Add in all the bad decisions done differently - which can be mostly directly linked to crazy Hitler and his high ranking Nazi buddies - more interceptors to defend the industry and manpower, better ressource management - due to being aware it is a long war - and the growing technological advantage and there is a stalemate in the West (due to a highly risky invasion - the intact, stronger German army could have defeated an invasion) and in the East - as the SOV run out of manpower for constant grinding costly attacks...it would still mean both are possible - invasions in the West and succesful offenses in the East - but AXIS player could punish a bad execution of these up to the point of being able to push back...
No NM script nerf bat, no more and more nerfed supply situation for the AXIS, real gains possible manpower and industry wise and not an unending manpower for the SOV and we should see quite a different picture...then VPs would need to get rebalanced maybe...
Again especially PBEMs would profit from a more dynamic, exciting, creative, free and open campaign...instead of a one sided, repetitive grind most of the time...the 4th Supreme command has been done already for WitW so why not for WitE? Just dreaming ;-D

Not to be misunderstood - I appreciate the effort of all devs - it still is the best War in the East game (I also own WitW and WitP AE) - but there could be some improvements ;-D

Lots of people promise not to quit and then do so as soon as they don't think they can win, especially on the german side when they realise that they won't get an automatic victory. Probably not much anyone can do about that. I read a game review in PC Gamer recently where the author complained about so many quitting part way through when they think they are losing - even though each game only lasts for 5 minutes!

I think that a lot of your ideas would be good as an alternative history scenario - but as a Russian player I would not be very keen unless there were changes for me too. To have these changes in the vanilla game starts to get closer to Hearts of Iron territory. WiTE needs to keep it's historical purity wherever possible. The real problem is that the Germans only did so well in '41 because of crass ineptitude on the russian side. No player will be as stupid with the russians, nor will any german replicate Hitler's idiocies: insofar as they can be controlled in-game.

Progress and/or results in AARs are almost always measured by comparison with historical events/figures and I can't see that changing. The challenge is therefore to have a game (sic) which somehow gives some sort of approximation with history (with evenly matched players when those same players are armed with knowledge of historical events and how the game works) and for the game to be flexible enough to be able to handle things in the same way that a good counterfactual book would.The NM issue is a classic example of a mechanism that works very well in terms of helping a game to reflect history a bit better. However,as many have said,it does not work when looked at from a counterfactual perspective because the factors that NM is designed to replicate were so heavily influenced by how the war developed historically.

Hmmm I seem to have fallen into the typical lawyer's response to a client asking what they should do - giving a boring analysis of the problem without actually answering the client's question. Perhaps I should just end by writing what I was taught as as an undergraduate scientist to put at the end of every essay - 'more research is needed'.

Perhaps more will help.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Steelwarrior7)
Post #: 220
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 10:09:10 PM   
Denniss

Seminole - how many damaged trucks/vehicles are awaiting repair and how many are repaired per turn?
I remember WitW having the old bogus pre-1.08 WitE repair system where damaged trucks accumulate in repair pool due to way insufficient repair rate.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 221
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 10:52:32 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Seminole - how many damaged trucks/vehicles are awaiting repair and how many are repaired per turn?

Repair pool was around 200k in the first 10 or so turns. Up to around 210k vehicles around turn 20. Been ~220k vehicles from turn 30-40.

from turn 40 event log:

40958 trucks have been lost during the campaign due to unit movement (I guess with the EF enabled this is including EF losses?)
24723 trucks were repaired and returned to the logistics pool (that has trended up slightly as the pool grew, never saw a problem here).
5160 VEHICLES produced in 516 vehicle factories (vehicle production varies based on bombing, but has never been below 4k per week)
Trucks Lost in Freight 25101 (this is over the course of the campaign, correct?)

In the West almost every unit (including Alpine forts and airbases) are within 3 hexes of a depot to try and mitigate vehicle needs. I just don't know as a player what steps I should take to best get vehicles into a unit like the 9th SS Panzer.

Do I misread the production screen when I see a motor pool of 34k? I'm not sure how or why it differs from the event log showing "Truck Pool 12749"

< Message edited by Seminole -- 12/22/2015 11:52:47 PM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 222
RE: WitE 2 - 12/22/2015 11:07:33 PM   
Denniss

As Axis player it's impossible to get the damaged truck pool significantly reduced to have them flow back into units.
Maybe you have some luck with refit mode to get more trucks but I assume they are somewhat evenly distributed so most/all units are at a similar truck level.
The truck pool in event log/freight section is likely the pool after freight distribution but prior to delivery of repaired damaged trucks.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 223
RE: WitE 2 - 12/23/2015 12:54:31 AM   
Seminole

If you don't mind I'd like to pull this hijack back into the appropriate thread here.

I just wanted to make sure folks keep an eye out for this new truck/MP consideration, because unless I just don't know the one, simple, weird trick to getting trucks into panzer units, its going to be a pretty big limit in its own right on mobile operations. And I like the idea of being able to focus trucks as a stand in for HQBU, just pull the same routine that motorizes a unit to acquire the trucks for some AP cost (I think the current AP price shouldn't mirror the expense of motorizing a unit in WitW, as that has organizational considerations beyond just fleshing out an existing TOE.)

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 224
RE: WitE 2 - 12/23/2015 6:03:43 AM   
Steelwarrior7

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

quote:

I do not agree on quitting in a PBEM game at all - because it is unpolite - but the nerf bat that Germany receives - as explained above - additionally to the weaker position, is also just too much. I believe Germany could have at least acheived some kind of stalemate - also by managing the Winter better and not having Stalingrad happen as it did - actually Germany did not have that much less manpower then the SOV (check the population stats and the many children in Germany and add in Germanies allies) and the SOV would have run out of manpower at a point - if the AXIS would have continued to fight smart...it is just that the SOV did mobilize its manpower in comparison to its pop (so % wise) much more and the AXIS wasted its at times also (plus Germany was actually lighter on its own pop, by not sending women to the front - and no old and young until very late in the war - but with no Stalingrad and bad winter 41 plus some unnecessary no retreat orders and counter attacks (for example Kursk) - which a human player could do smarter - the will of the AXIS population to fight could have been much higher and by that also the mobilzed manpower) - so saying if the AXIS would have done better, like mentioned above, they could have come to a point where the mapower of the SOV was being exhausted (they did not have modern Chinas pop LOL - and additionally to the high losses at the front they had high civilian losses due to AXIS forces and crazy Stalin and his party. Now check the AARS and you will see many times more than 10 million losses for the SOV and another 10 million army - that is neither realistic nor historical - but due to the game engine giving the SOV a never exhausting MP pool) and by that a stalemate would have been enforced. What I believe many forget is - yes the SOV mobilized a huge manpower - but they could not have been mobilizing that much more - they already used women at the front...so if the AXIS could have inflicted more losses due to smarter dealing with their challenges and keeping a good defendably front and their own army intact - they may have been able to force a stalemate...not that in RL I would have wished for it ;-D But it is not impossible ;-D and should be recognized in a game like this...

Not to be misunderstood - I appreciate the effort of all devs - it still is the best War in the East game (I also own WitW and WitP AE) - but there could be some improvements ;-D

Lots of people promise not to quit and then do so as soon as they don't think they can win, especially on the german side when they realise that they won't get an automatic victory. Probably not much anyone can do about that. I read a game review in PC Gamer recently where the author complained about so many quitting part way through when they think they are losing - even though each game only lasts for 5 minutes!

I think that a lot of your ideas would be good as an alternative history scenario - but as a Russian player I would not be very keen unless there were changes for me too. To have these changes in the vanilla game starts to get closer to Hearts of Iron territory. WiTE needs to keep it's historical purity wherever possible. The real problem is that the Germans only did so well in '41 because of crass ineptitude on the russian side. No player will be as stupid with the russians, nor will any german replicate Hitler's idiocies: insofar as they can be controlled in-game.

Progress and/or results in AARs are almost always measured by comparison with historical events/figures and I can't see that changing. The challenge is therefore to have a game (sic) which somehow gives some sort of approximation with history (with evenly matched players when those same players are armed with knowledge of historical events and how the game works) and for the game to be flexible enough to be able to handle things in the same way that a good counterfactual book would.The NM issue is a classic example of a mechanism that works very well in terms of helping a game to reflect history a bit better. However,as many have said,it does not work when looked at from a counterfactual perspective because the factors that NM is designed to replicate were so heavily influenced by how the war developed historically.

Hmmm I seem to have fallen into the typical lawyer's response to a client asking what they should do - giving a boring analysis of the problem without actually answering the client's question. Perhaps I should just end by writing what I was taught as as an undergraduate scientist to put at the end of every essay - 'more research is needed'.

Perhaps more will help.

Haha, like your answer - I know we may derive from RL history with my approach more than now - but if we have the freedom to not repeat histories mistakes - should we not be allowed too?
If talking about history we should differenciate between RL and in game history - and what I am suggesting is that we are more true to in game history and by that reward skill versus less skill more - than repeating RL history (basically hardly rewarding skill)- of course eveyone may differ in preference about which history should be repeated - so I agree that a RL history scenario (true to RL history) and and alternative in game history scenario (true to in game history) would be the best solution - as it would please both groups of players.
Just wanna point out that the 20 million used manpower that occur for the SOV right now in most AARs are also not historical - that could be - just for an example - be fixed due to the game keeping track of used manpower in the army, reserve pool and through losses and again just as an example if 10 million are used manpower production for the Sov gets a -20%, when 12 millions are used - 40% and when 15 millions re used a -60% modifier - so the SOV would still have a huge manpower pool - but not the one of modern day China ;-D And skill would be needed to defeat the AXIS army - not just grind...just as skill from an AXIS player is needed, to inflict max losses on the SOV.
About PBEMs - it is in human nature to give up early, if things go south - and if it comes to me I will prove it through facts - starting to play PBEMs next year, that I am different - as I decided to learn the German side first and am still learning and am a noob - I will for sure have a chance to show my resistance to frustration due to staying in a messed up German game ;-D
Still, if the game would rely more on in game history than on RL history - I am sure the morale of AXIS PBEM players would be generally higher and so less games would end too early ;-D

< Message edited by Steelwarrior7 -- 12/23/2015 7:09:07 AM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 225
RE: WitE 2 - 12/29/2015 11:29:52 PM   
Redhammer627

quote:

One way to encourage early war Russian aggression might be to separate experience in attack from that in defence. The logistics and tactics of attack are quite different from those of defence. Yet it is possible for the Russians to keep running east all year, often gaining experience only in defence, then magically counter-attack when the weather turns as if they have somehow learned how to attack over the summer. This can extend into 1942, with the hindsight enabled player defending until they have accumulated sufficient numerical superiority to go over to the offensive and win.

Experience in attack and defence could be hooked to national morale as well as the units involved in each battle, it's level perhaps being pegged, along with other factors, to the lowest 'pool' of the two experience types.

Agreed, good suggestions. Attacking is definitely a different ball game than defending, and it was something the Russians clearly struggled with in history well after Moscow (i.e 3rd Kharkov). I would worry about balance though, especially since attacking the Axis in 41 guarantees you are going to be encircled in even greater numbers than if you played solely defensively, and if the axis thoroughly crushes the Red Army in early 41 its basically game over. The way encirclements are handled in WitW might mitigate this where CVs don't drop to zero in a week (an exception can be made for the first two turns), but the return needs to match the risk.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 226
RE: WitE 2 - 1/2/2016 7:12:44 PM   
morvael

quote:

One way to encourage early war Russian aggression might be to separate experience in attack from that in defence.

I think the hated 1:1->2:1 rule was supposed to do that. Of course it was a crude tool, quite abstract, unlike a separate "tech trees" for offensive and defensive doctrines/tactics/training would be.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 227
RE: WitE 2 - 1/2/2016 7:27:08 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

quote:

One way to encourage early war Russian aggression might be to separate experience in attack from that in defence.

I think the hated 1:1->2:1 rule was supposed to do that. Of course it was a crude tool, quite abstract, unlike a separate "tech trees" for offensive and defensive doctrines/tactics/training would be.

I wonder about that rule and whether the main problem wasn't so much the 1:1 win itself as the insignificant increase in Russian losses that was supposed to, yet didn't, balance it out. Nearly 32k losses in a 10 days at Yelnya? But you couldn't currently implement such a loss rate on the Russians as the German losses are also way out of whack.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 228
RE: WitE 2 - 1/2/2016 7:35:08 PM   
morvael

Maybe it will work better with the new counterattack/fighting withdrawal rules in the next patch, that attempt to fix loss exchange ratio.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 229
RE: WitE 2 - 1/2/2016 7:38:42 PM   
Mehring

I look forward to trying it.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 230
RE: WitE 2 - 1/6/2016 11:59:11 AM   
SigUp

quote:

If I remember it correctly the original rule applied to the Soviets for the entirety of the war. It was then step by step taken out. I don't think it was ever supposed to specifically encourage early Russian counterattack. Frankly, I think the rule was just not thought out well. With the combat engine already giving a de-facto bonus to the side with more elements the Soviets are already in a position where they can expect a win with CV parity with reasonable chance. That's already something like a +1 rule.

The main problem I see with the engine is that it's too dependent on wins. Soviet counterattacks in 1941 took a toll on the German units but rarely were they able to outright dislodge the Germans from their positions prior to late 1941. So going by this there were only very few Soviet wins in WitE terms. The fluctuation of morale around the wins and losses is also problematic especially with the impact of morale on CV.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 231
RE: WitE 2 - 1/6/2016 12:37:54 PM   
mktours

I hope that the feature that the leader rating could drop if a leader gets promotion could be eliminated in WITE 2.0
Nobody likes to see Model's rating being cut.
By the way, when will 2.0 be released? I am really looking forward to playing it.

< Message edited by mktours -- 1/6/2016 1:47:36 PM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 232
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 5:05:43 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

If I remember it correctly the original rule applied to the Soviets for the entirety of the war. It was then step by step taken out. I don't think it was ever supposed to specifically encourage early Russian counterattack. Frankly, I think the rule was just not thought out well. With the combat engine already giving a de-facto bonus to the side with more elements the Soviets are already in a position where they can expect a win with CV parity with reasonable chance. That's already something like a +1 rule.

The main problem I see with the engine is that it's too dependent on wins. Soviet counterattacks in 1941 took a toll on the German units but rarely were they able to outright dislodge the Germans from their positions prior to late 1941. So going by this there were only very few Soviet wins in WitE terms. The fluctuation of morale around the wins and losses is also problematic especially with the impact of morale on CV.

To "outright dislodge" a German division in summer 1941, it would have to be surrounded and forced to retreat, not a situation that should happen too often against a competent Axis player. I have read accounts of battalions and regiments being badly mauled or outright destroyed and spearheads being threatened with isolation, so I think the game represents this fairly well. Think of a retreat on either side not as "outright dislodgement" so much as the defender being "encouraged to withdraw." That works for me, anyway.

That said, the Russian attacks of 1941 are a curious problem. I'm currently near the end of summer 41 in a no combat bonus campaign and am trading blows perhaps a little too successfully with the advancing Axis forces. I'm looking forward to checking the combat losses in what has become a hotly contested summer battle.

The issue of element swamping hiding behind the old bonus raises a question. A defender swamped by, or about to be swamped by attackers, will probably withdraw in real life, however elite they are and however many swarms of attackers they are killing. But should these swarms of attackers always be there? That's the issue for me.

The Panther Games "Conquest of the Aegean" has the concept of "orders delay," the time between an order being issued and it filtering down to subordinates and the grunts forming up at a specified location to carry it out. Playing both sides of the Crete scenario opened my eyes to command inefficiency as a material factor in the Commonwealth defeat there. The Germans, in spite of some severe disadvantages, are almost always first off the mark, making CW plans obsolete before they can be carried out. I suspect the same is very true in Russia 1941.

WitE gives us various leader qualities which help in combat, but the only thing I can think of that might be trying to simulate the likelihood- or not- of troops arriving at the battle on time, is the low Russian Mech MP allotment in the first summer also the initiative determined reserve activation. Some leadership qualities help their troops hit and damage their targets, but apart from the MP allotment which is a known quantity at turn beginning, there is no leader quality that helps troops to arrive at their start line on time and in good order. If the unit has MP for the attack it is assigned to, except in the case of large quantities of elements, it is a given that all the elements in the unit fight.

This seems to me, to skip over the that most important, if mundane, aspect of operational military leadership- creating and keeping your force to a timetable. What if, of those 9 divisions you've committed to a battle, only the ones that pass an admin check actually jump off? Combined with a reduction in at-start Russian leadership stats, that could really put an end to over-frequent element swamping. Perhaps a way to make this possible would be to make the MP cost of attacks variable from a base number. Good leaders issue clear instructions reflecting an understanding of their subordinates qualities and the situation they work in. They are more likely to get their subordinates to attack on time, perhaps even chip an MP or two off the standard cost for an attacking unit or two. The consequences of leaders failing in this area might be their subordinate units, or some of them, taking longer than base number and those advancing to attack might run out of MP, thereby not attacking, and their elements not being included, at all.

Such a system would also make the "strip the line to make an attack, then return all units where they came from before the other side notices they're missing" syndrome a risky business. As well as possibly losing MP to interdiction (sadly pretty rare, though WitE 2 may be better) you may also lose MP to attacking under an inefficient commander.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 233
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 5:31:05 PM   
No idea

Coordinating attacks was a big problem for soviet forces in 1941. I like your idea of units being commited only if they pass and admin check. To compensate, soviet units shouldnt be so lame in 1941. Several of them put the germans in real trouble, someting you rarely see in the game if you play with no attack bonus.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 234
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 6:12:56 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: No idea

Coordinating attacks was a big problem for soviet forces in 1941. I like your idea of units being commited only if they pass and admin check. To compensate, soviet units shouldnt be so lame in 1941. Several of them put the germans in real trouble, someting you rarely see in the game if you play with no attack bonus.

I was also thinking that base CV for 41 Russians is too low. So in a situation where effective leadership is less important, they would indeed be likely to cause the Germans trouble.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 235
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 6:19:27 PM   
Revthought

quote:

quote:

I do not agree on quitting in a PBEM game at all - because it is unpolite - but the nerf bat that Germany receives - as explained above - additionally to the weaker position, is also just too much. I believe Germany could have at least acheived some kind of stalemate - also by managing the Winter better and not having Stalingrad happen as it did - actually Germany did not have that much less manpower then the SOV (check the population stats and the many children in Germany and add in Germanies allies) and the SOV would have run out of manpower at a point - if the AXIS would have continued to fight smart...it is just that the SOV did mobilize its manpower in comparison to its pop (so % wise) much more and the AXIS wasted its at times also (plus Germany was actually lighter on its own pop, by not sending women to the front - and no old and young until very late in the war - but with no Stalingrad and bad winter 41 plus some unnecessary no retreat orders and counter attacks (for example Kursk) - which a human player could do smarter - the will of the AXIS population to fight could have been much higher and by that also the mobilzed manpower) - so saying if the AXIS would have done better, like mentioned above, they could have come to a point where the mapower of the SOV was being exhausted (they did not have modern Chinas pop LOL - and additionally to the high losses at the front they had high civilian losses due to AXIS forces and crazy Stalin and his party. Now check the AARS and you will see many times more than 10 million losses for the SOV and another 10 million army - that is neither realistic nor historical - but due to the game engine giving the SOV a never exhausting MP pool) and by that a stalemate would have been enforced. What I believe many forget is - yes the SOV mobilized a huge manpower - but they could not have been mobilizing that much more - they already used women at the front...so if the AXIS could have inflicted more losses due to smarter dealing with their challenges and keeping a good defendable front and their own army intact - they may have been able to force a stalemate...not that in RL I would have wished for it ;-D But it is not impossible ;-D and should be recognized in a game like this...

Not to be misunderstood - I appreciate the effort of all devs - it still is the best War in the East game (I also own WitW and WitP AE - they are all best and most detailed of their theatre) and alone the number of patches and time of support is impressive - but there could be some improvements ;-D

All I can say to this is no, unless in addition to abstracting the German operational situation out of the context of the reality that was Hitler, you also assume that:

1. Germany was not at war with the U.K.
2. Germany did not declare war on the U.S.
3. Germany was not at war with 2/3rds of the productive capacity of the world in 1945
4. As the result of the above, Germany had access to the oil it needed to fly it's airplanes and drive it's tanks
5. Germany had free (as in uninterrupted) access to the raw materials needed to conduct the war
6. The German population had the same "will" to continue an offensive war in the Soviet Union to the point it's manpower was exhausted as the Soviet Union's people were in defense of their homeland.
7. All of the Germany's secondary allies felt the same investment in depleting their country of everything to do the same
8. All of Germany's allies were also only at war with the Soviet Union
9. That German industry was placed on a total war footing prior to Barbarossa
10. That Germans had adopted efficient vehicle design (eg the t-34) so that they could actually match Soviet production
11. Etc, etc, etc.

In other word the Germans had one chance in 1941 maybe through 1942 (I doubt it) to beat the Soviet Union. So in a game like this German meta-defeat is almost always a for gone conclusion, and the players' victories measured against historical outcomes. It's for these reasons in WiTW a German player can lose the war in July 1945 instead of May and get a Major Axis Victory.

(in reply to Steelwarrior7)
Post #: 236
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 7:04:06 PM   
chaos45

Also- in comment to steelwarrior about Soviet OOB-----In real life the Soviet mobilitzed almost 35M troops into its army in WW2.

So a game with 10M Soviet losses and 10M soviets still in the Army is actually shorting the Soviet player about 10M troops even when you take into account rear area not seen elements in the game.

Also if the Germans did everything better, well the Soviets have just as much if not more improvement to their "play" over historical than the Germans do......Read up on some of the stupid things they did and you will quickly realize that when you dont conduct the war like Stalin the Germans very likely could have lost easily in 1944 all things being equal.

< Message edited by chaos45 -- 1/7/2016 8:05:23 PM >

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 237
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 7:28:15 PM   
SigUp

quote:

I was also thinking that base CV for 41 Russians is too low. So in a situation where effective leadership is less important, they would indeed be likely to cause the Germans trouble.

No, CV is sufficient. Put them in good terrain with forts and they are a hard nut to crack. Now with the adjustments regarding the isolation impact on CV the Soviets are in a good enough state CV-wise in 1941. Give them more CV and you'll start to see German units getting grinded down by constant successful Soviet counterattacks. Remember, for the Soviets to successfully push back the Germans they only need CV parity, even without the +1 rule. Increase Soviet CV in 1941 and you are in effect re-introducing the +1 rule.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 238
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 7:45:13 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

No, CV is sufficient. Put them in good terrain with forts and they are a hard nut to crack. Now with the adjustments regarding the isolation impact on CV the Soviets are in a good enough state CV-wise in 1941. Give them more CV and you'll start to see German units getting grinded down by constant successful Soviet counterattacks. Remember, for the Soviets to successfully push back the Germans they only need CV parity, even without the +1 rule. Increase Soviet CV in 1941 and you are in effect re-introducing the +1 rule.

Did you read post 232?

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 239
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 7:49:22 PM   
KWG

Why should the Rusisans be required to fight forward - or for any G or R command decisions to be required to be the same as historic even if it makes the game harder for the other player?

Was not Zhukov promoted to Chief of General Staff insome measure for his actions in a wargame where he, playing as Germans did well and for which he criticized the deployment of so many of Pavlov's (Russian Player) formations forward in the Bialystok salient.

"Who won asked? " asked Stalin.

Meretskov rambled about balances and relative strengths.

Undeterred, Stalin said, "statements that one Red Army division can rout a German division in a approach to contact is all very well for the propaganda clap-trap printed in field regulations, but here we want to know the truth."

To which everyone gave confusing answers to that question and to who won the wargame.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/7/2016 8:58:40 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI