Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK, I'm Just Going To Say It...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Thirty Years' War >> OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 11/11/2015 1:11:31 AM   
Ripster8

...I love the time period and I really appreciate the effort that AGEOD has put into TYW, but as a single-player game it is sadly lacking. The AI is largely incompetent, unfortunately. The worst AI blunder is the repeated long winter walks it takes with large armies. It is so sad to see the heaps of little, frozen digital soldaten strewn about the snowy German countryside, especially since they never reach the battlefield! Over the course of one winter the AI Protestants went from 150% of my Imperialist combat power to only 50%. The rest of the campaign was merely a matter of purchasing supply wagons and sieging major cities until the Protestants were vanquished. Not much fun...

There are other issues (the ill-conceived diplomatic boxes and cards, not enough Protestant supply wagons in the GC, lack of a hot-seat mode, among others) but until the AI is improved I cannot recommend TYW as a single player game. Unfortunately, this also causes me to question whether I should buy 'Napoleon at War' which I have been so looking forward to. Any correction of my impressions is welcomed!
Post #: 1
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 11/18/2015 4:25:55 AM   
Rosseau

I just finished playing the original Napoleonic game, and it wasn't bad considering its age. Like Spanish Civil War, I predicted TYW would suffer with these one-man development teams using the Ageod engine. But if the core Ageod development team is doing Nappy, it should be a large and well-supported game.

(in reply to Ripster8)
Post #: 2
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 12/22/2015 9:49:03 PM   
KarlXII

Thanks Ripster for your comments about the A.I. I have been following this game for a while now. For me the A.I is a dealbreaker since I will play it as a single player game 95% of the time. I will wait for further patches until I buy it.

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 12/22/2015 9:56:31 PM   
Ripster8

It is unfortunate since I love the time period, the attention to detail, etc. But right now TYW is best as a PBEM game. Perhaps a future patch will remedy this. One can only hope!

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 4
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 12/26/2015 4:32:32 AM   
Symple

I actually love this game. And yes, best in pbem play. Here is an option if you hate pbem, play versus yourself. Take on both sides. Play one, exit, play the other and run. This is a lot of fun.
AI as an opponent in any game is not so good.

(in reply to Ripster8)
Post #: 5
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 12/30/2015 8:51:37 PM   
Ripster8

As a matter of fact I am playing a head-to-head GC with myself right now. But it is not quite the same as playing against a competent AI. And PBEM is great but it takes a lot of time to get through 30 years of war!

(in reply to Symple)
Post #: 6
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 12/30/2015 11:17:05 PM   
Dorb

I too would love to get, but only play single player, and agree...deal breaker. And appears same level of support as with Espana 1936. So going to have to pass.

(in reply to Ripster8)
Post #: 7
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 12/31/2015 12:18:21 PM   
Leibst

AI way of doing things is beyond HQ possibilities,so is not a fact of suport level, i cant change any of the way AI does things. Just can add some Agents to persuade her to take some decisions.

Designer of AGEOD & HQ English Civil War, Thirty Years War and España:1936
Designer of Battles For Spain and Libertad o Muerte!
https://hqwargames.com

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 8
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 1/1/2016 3:39:20 AM   
Symple

There is a really nice alternative to pbem and AI, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes this era but not the AI or pbem, play versus yourself. This game is a perfect game to play both sides. I am not sure if younger players ever did this. But when board games were wargames and there was not a computer option and you had no live opponent because like me you lived in a small town, you played versus yourself. Thirty Years War is a splendid game for doing such. After all, you are smarter than the best AI and the game is such a good treatment of this era.

(in reply to Leibst)
Post #: 9
RE: OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... - 1/13/2016 1:45:21 AM   
FeurerKrieg

I played many a game of Axis and Allies against myself. That's what living in a rural area does to you when you are a kid.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Symple)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Thirty Years' War >> OK, I'm Just Going To Say It... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI