Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MOVING TANKS BACKWARD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> MOVING TANKS BACKWARD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MOVING TANKS BACKWARD - 4/25/2001 12:15:00 AM   
Paulus Pak

Perhaps I'm grumbling, but what about moving tanks backward with front to the enemy? Tanks always turn its backs on enemys. During war showing to enemy rear armor meant instant suicide. And now i'm suffering it quite painfully - i'm playing Knightbridge scenario on British side. I crushed Italians but now my tanks are taking a beating from superior Germans. When i try to fall back, my tanks show their backs to computer and game's over.

Pawel
A wargamer from Poland
Post #: 1
- 4/25/2001 12:28:00 AM   
lnp4668

In previous threads about this issue, it was concluded that due to the limitation of the game engine as well as time frame of the game, it is not feasible to implement it. Try to pop some smoke before retreating.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 2
- 4/25/2001 1:18:00 AM   
Ismael

there is an interpretation of the game mechanics compatible with historical accuracy. the hex size is larger than the distance a tank could back up in battle. the game mechanics represent the situation of the tank backing up part of the hex and then having to turn around to keep moving to the next hex, exposing its rear.

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 3
- 4/25/2001 1:44:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

IF you are adjacent to a location out of LOS to your front, then you can always retreat 50 yards, not only without your rear geting shot, but without the enemy being able to shoot you at all!

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 4
- 4/25/2001 5:18:00 AM   
BA Evans

Why put your tanks in such vulnerable positions? Souldn't you keep them near cover if your enemy has superior equipment? Better tactics/positioning would fix your problem. BA Evans

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 5
- 4/25/2001 10:08:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Paul, generally this is true. Of course there could be an unseen mine or infantry unit to close assault and immobilize you and now leave you with your back to the enemy. Nit picking but true. Then again if you go to a 25 meter scale or in CL, there will be more reason to back up. Perhas this can be implemented then.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 6
- 4/25/2001 10:16:00 AM   
Wild Bill

At first glance, I would agree with Paulus. But as I think about it, I am wondering. Moving in reverse would of necessity be a slow move, leaving one open and a better target, even with a better armor facing. Perhaps in close quarters, like a city street, yes, I could see it. No room to maneuver anyway. The point Paul takes is valid. BA Evans too brings out something quite important relative to cover but of course, in the desert there ain't much of that! :eek: And it could happen someday. I know it has been talked about before but, it is an idea worthy of consideration. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 7
- 4/25/2001 3:12:00 PM   
toundra

Use the smoke paulus use the smoke!!

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 8
- 4/25/2001 3:19:00 PM   
Loki

It is always nice to see idea's considered in future versions, also builds a good fan base. :)

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 9
- 4/25/2001 4:06:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

quote:

Originally posted by toundra: Use the smoke paulus use the smoke!!
Maybe he have already reversed "all smoke". The JS-1 to 3 had 7 forvard gears and 2 reverse gear`s but no smoke (the D button)only 1 to 2 smoke ammo`s. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: Tortfeasor ]

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 10
- 4/25/2001 4:13:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tortfeasor: [QB]Maybe he have already reversed "all smoke". You forgot that russian tanks have no smoke lunchers. The JS-1 to 3 had 7 forvard gears and 2 reverse gear`s but no "smoke lunchers" (the D button) and only 1 to 2 smoke ammo`s. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: Tortfeasor ]

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 11
- 4/25/2001 4:20:00 PM   
toundra

Use your infantry to create smoke...

(in reply to Paulus Pak)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> MOVING TANKS BACKWARD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI