Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion of France

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion of France Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion of F... - 1/4/2016 7:59:12 PM   
Phleem

I am playing the 43-45 campaign for the first time as WA vs AI, and am wondering about the timing of getting the 44 invasion of France ready. Pretty much every unit is in Italy, and I know I need to start moving them back to England, but I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some suggested dates for milestones. Things like when you need to get the first few corps on the boats back, when the Amphibious targeting must be started, and when you should have everything on the ground in the UK and ready to go.

Any other tips for how to get the support units organized would be appreciated too.
Post #: 1
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/4/2016 8:16:31 PM   
szmike

You need invasion force preparing by the end of February if you want to invade in May with decent prep points. Reinforcments for after landing need 3-4 turns to go back depending on amount of troop ships and ports availability.

(in reply to Phleem)
Post #: 2
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/4/2016 8:19:57 PM   
Seminole

quote:

when the Amphibious targeting must be started

Can't address all of your questions as I lack the experience, but I offer this to help you with planning the amphib targeting/composition:
It breaks down prep points earned for each possible combination of units by port size. Keep in mind you can shift units during the prep phase without penalty. The TF requires more prep points (50) than the units do (30) to launch, so you can juggle things:

(in reply to Phleem)
Post #: 3
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/4/2016 8:23:19 PM   
Q-Ball

Depending on how many units you have in the Med, and how much shipping you have lost, figure at least a month to shift reinforcements back to England. I would probably leave more. You definitely do not want to have to be doing this in June, as you'll want to reserve all your shipping capacity for getting units from England to France

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 4
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/4/2016 8:32:29 PM   
dereck

I follow basically what was done historically:

By the end of December 1943 I have the following units transferred from the Mediterranean to England:

United States:
82nd US Airborne Division
2nd US Armored Division
1st US Infantry Division
9th US Infantry Division

British:
BR XXX Corps HQ
1st BR Airborne Division
2nd BR Armoured Division
5th BR Infantry Division
50th BR Infantry Division
51st BR Infantry Division
4th BR Armoured Brigade Group
8th BR Armoured Brigade Group
231st BR Infantry Brigade

Don't wait until the last minute. You need to reorganize your forces since it's easier if you have the British units under XXX Corps so you can easily move them from the line and to England.

The US troops I usually keep with the 7th Army and use them to take Sardinia and Corsica. They never see Italy at all.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to Phleem)
Post #: 5
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/6/2016 8:00:25 AM   
Hofstadter

I actually dont move any units from the mediterranean. Bu the time i have reached the ravenna line, it will be a few months before the europe invasion and i will have set up for operation dragoon. Generally the units pushing up through southern france link up nicely

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 6
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/6/2016 11:46:31 PM   
LiquidSky

I agree...I push all excess units except for the paratroopers into southern france. This is a very important front as it forces the Germans to abandon any pretense of holding your armies back in <insert invasion here> in the north. I motorize all my infantry brigades and push all my tank brigades into one army.

You don't need them in England..waiting around with the rest of the divisions. In Southern France they will be a threat.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Hofstadter)
Post #: 7
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/7/2016 12:13:51 AM   
KWG

It depends on what you think you still need in Italy. And your plans for Italy/South France.

If in doubt move your not needed units in Italy to Africa until you decide on where to use them.

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 8
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/7/2016 12:28:05 AM   
dereck

For the invasion of southern France I move these units out of Italy to join the US 7th Army and the 1st FF Army by the end of June 1944:

VI US Corps
I FF Corps and all FF troops

3rd US Infantry Division
36th US Infantry Division
45th US Infantry Division

65th Sep US Infantry Regiment
115th Sep US Infantry Regiment
442nd Nisei Sep US Infantry Regiment
517th Sep US Infantry Regiment

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 9
RE: Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion ... - 1/8/2016 6:13:45 AM   
Phleem

Thanks for the replies. I should have made it clear that I moved just about every unit down from the UK to Italy. The shipping is going to be busy undoing that all winter and spring.

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Timing for moving units from Italy for 44 invasion of France Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI