Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/4/2016 11:34:27 PM   
Belphegor

I can't get the screen to move past the 'waiting' phase of authentication so I can view my games in progress etc.

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/5/2016 12:58:32 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 1:26:13 AM   
Belphegor

It appears to be working fine for DC3, so any idea why I can't get past the authentication screens for WitW?
Also works for WitE.
I can only conclude that my credentials are correct as they worked yesterday and still work for other games.

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/5/2016 2:47:11 AM >

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 5:14:06 AM   
Zephir_MatrixForum

same problem, since 24h

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 6:12:49 AM   
zakblood

working fine here, so maybe a local loop issue?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 1/5/2016 7:14:00 AM >

(in reply to Zephir_MatrixForum)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 12:03:44 PM   
Belphegor

Perhaps ZakBlood. I'm going to say it has to do with a game. Since Zephir is an opponent of mine and he's having the same issue is it possible that our game is somehow corrupt on the server and thus not providing whatever information is necessary to complete the screen on my end?

edit: especially since we've been having the issue since my last turn upload.

Would someone who can mind having a look at our game on the server please?

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/5/2016 1:05:34 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 1:10:17 PM   
zakblood

i don't have that ability i'm sorry to say

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 1:42:40 PM   
Belphegor

No problem. I'm hoping you can use your moderator powers to notify someone who can?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 3:47:53 PM   
Joel Billings

I can download both the latest save (in the air phase of German turn 33) and the backup save (in the ground phase of Allied turn 32). They both load ok for me, but I'm not going through MP authentication when I do this. I'm not sure what might be causing your problem if others are able to access the server ok. Can you set up a new game ok? It will probably take someone with some MP understanding to help you with this, but I can revert your game to the prior save if at some point you feel that would be worthwhile. For now, it doesn't sound like that's the issue.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 4:34:16 PM   
Belphegor

Thanks Joel.
It was a very short land move on my part and I'll try to recreate it faithfully. So I'm going to ask that the game be reverted to the backup save with the hope that it fixes the issue.

edit: I can't set up a new game. I can't get that screen to load. That's where we're stuck. We can authenticate but can't load the games in progress/new games/challenges screen... just spins on "waiting"

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/5/2016 5:35:14 PM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 4:36:54 PM   
Belphegor

I'm at work now, but if the reset works then both of us should at least be able to get in to the games screen. Currently we can't start new games, accept challenges or view our own games. We never get that screen loaded. Once we authenticate we never get passed to the games screen (if that makes sense)

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 4:43:06 PM   
Joel Billings

Ok, I've set the game back to the prior turn. Good luck, hope it loads for you.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 4:49:25 PM   
Belphegor

I'll try after work, thanks!
Zephir may be able to confirm simply by being able to again access the screens before then.

Post #: 12
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 6:12:03 PM   
Zephir_MatrixForum

Thank you Joel,

i have now access to my game screen again. Before your turn reset i saw only the nonstop waiting screen

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/5/2016 7:19:13 PM   
Belphegor

Excellent. Thanks Joel!

Zephir: I'll get to the turn (and try to do the same things) after work today.

(in reply to Zephir_MatrixForum)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/6/2016 12:04:46 AM   
Belphegor

That's fixed it I think. I have played the turn again and am still able to get back into the multiplayer games screen. I don't know what happened but it apparently didn't corrupt the game but did corrupt the 'record' (I'm guessing) of the game since neither player could get into the system after that. Joel confirmed the game was accessible. So.... weird.

thanks all.

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 12:11:47 AM   
Belphegor

Hi Joel

It's happened again, I can't get in to view my games in the PBEM++ server right after I uploaded my last turn. And I know the common factor. Each time I use the F12 message system I get locked out of my account as described above, as does my opponent and his account.
Seems as if the system can't read something within the file when I comment.

I'm going to request a backstep to the previous save again please for Belphegor vs. Zephir

Odd though, my opponent commented via F12 without issue, it's my reply that tips the world over.

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/15/2016 1:32:15 AM >

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 4:35:17 AM   
Joel Billings

I've reset your game to the prior save. I hope that lets you continue. I'll mention this to Pavel in case he has any ideas on how to get to the bottom of your problem.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 1:00:54 PM   
Belphegor

It didn't

This time I commented during the air phase, and with the save after the air phase I'm assuming we only went 1 save back to that point so the issue still exists.

The problem of course is that I can't see "any" of my games even though the latest one is the issue which makes me dead in the water for 3 games and I have no idea how many games my opponent has (and the killer is that it locks us both out of our games). Obviously we know the workaround but we've invested time in this game so would of course prefer to see it finished. I suspect if you can edit the save and remove my message to my opponent we'd be on our way again.
I don't see this as an issue with the .sav as much as the PBEM system unable to parse something in the file when my comment is there and thus unable to resolve the text info of the game to display to the user. As you suggested, the game is there, but we can't see it through the system.

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/15/2016 2:03:26 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 1:01:44 PM   
Belphegor

My next request would be to open the save file and remove the last comments made by me. (or all)
edit: and I promise to not write any more in game messages.

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 1/15/2016 2:27:12 PM >

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 3:25:32 PM   
Helpless

What is the version you are using to upload a save? Miscellaneous data looks old as if it was uploaded with old version.

quote:

My next request would be to open the save file and remove the last comments made by me. (or all)

There is no way for us to upload modified saves to server.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 5:28:22 PM   
Belphegor

As far as I know I'm using the current version .12 as I was in the Torch Tournament. I'll ask my opponent what he's using.
Disappointing that you can't modify the save but understandable.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 6:43:15 PM   
Belphegor

I think then we'll have no choice but to delete the game in order for both of us to move on with the others. My opponent is on holidays and may not see this until he gets back. Hopefully he'll accept the decision as inevitable. If nothing else can be done please remove the game from the server completely.

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/15/2016 7:53:10 PM   
Helpless

Btw, your other game misc data also looks old (pre-Torch).

I suspect that something could be wrong on your side, since you are the last who uploaded the game.

quote:

As far as I know I'm using the current version .12 as I was in the Torch Tournament. I'll ask my opponent what he's using.
Disappointing that you can't modify the save but understandable.

I could try to fix it, but I need to login using your credentials. If you don't want to share your current password:

- change your Slitherine password to something you might share.
- delete or copy \dat\save\wirServer.dat
- Launch game and login using new password
- send me wirServer.dat

Btw, I remember there were some game listing issues in the past. One of resolutions was to toggle resigned, finished game check boxes. In some cases deleting and creating new wirServer.dat was also useful.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/16/2016 3:06:36 AM   
Belphegor

Sent you a PM with the wirserver.dat attached.

I hope you can discover the issue!
thanks either way.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/16/2016 12:25:15 PM   
Helpless

I found a bug in the game code when it doesn't correctly translates server string due to the double quotes in the messages. I'm currently testing a fix which should be released with public beta.

Before it is fixed please don't use double quotes in the server messages. Sorry for inconvenience.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 25
RE: Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? - 1/16/2016 2:20:52 PM   
Belphegor

Woohoo I can see my games!
Thank you for the detective work.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> Anyone else having trouble with PBEM server tonight? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI