Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 8:06:17 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelwarrior7

quote:

The quitting problem is huge but your point begs the question of what a German 'win' is. If someone thinks that is a Russian surrender, then the game will (rightly) almost always disappoint anyone playing against a human. After all, IRL the war was neither a German win nor a draw. My approach has always been to decide who won by comparison to the historical outcome ie the date of the fall of Berlin. That gives the German much more of a chance than the game's much later end date.

I do not agree on quitting in a PBEM game at all - because it is unpolite - but the nerf bat that Germany receives - as explained above - additionally to the weaker position, is also just too much. I believe Germany could have at least acheived some kind of stalemate - also by managing the Winter better and not having Stalingrad happen as it did - actually Germany did not have that much less manpower then the SOV (check the population stats and the many children in Germany and add in Germanies allies) and the SOV would have run out of manpower at a point - if the AXIS would have continued to fight smart...it is just that the SOV did mobilize its manpower in comparison to its pop (so % wise) much more and the AXIS wasted its at times also (plus Germany was actually lighter on its own pop, by not sending women to the front - and no old and young until very late in the war - but with no Stalingrad and bad winter 41 plus some unnecessary no retreat orders and counter attacks (for example Kursk) - which a human player could do smarter - the will of the AXIS population to fight could have been much higher and by that also the mobilzed manpower) - so saying if the AXIS would have done better, like mentioned above, they could have come to a point where the mapower of the SOV was being exhausted (they did not have modern Chinas pop LOL - and additionally to the high losses at the front they had high civilian losses due to AXIS forces and crazy Stalin and his party. Now check the AARS and you will see many times more than 10 million losses for the SOV and another 10 million army - that is neither realistic nor historical - but due to the game engine giving the SOV a never exhausting MP pool) and by that a stalemate would have been enforced. What I believe many forget is - yes the SOV mobilized a huge manpower - but they could not have been mobilizing that much more - they already used women at the front...so if the AXIS could have inflicted more losses due to smarter dealing with their challenges and keeping a good defendable front and their own army intact - they may have been able to force a stalemate...not that in RL I would have wished for it ;-D But it is not impossible ;-D and should be recognized in a game like this...

Especially for a PBEM it would mean that both sides have limited offensive abilities until the end date - both can win due to smart offense and defense and losse due to bad offense and defense - that would result in a very exciting, open and dynamic campaign istead of a rather repetitive SOV grind against purely defensive AXIS from late 42 on...

Even more in an alternative scenario - Hitler is dead scenario (there were enough assasination attempts of which many failed due to bad luck) - , where the goons would not have abused the population of the Ukranians and Baltic states and the Jews and Western Europe - could have resulted in a much higher MP for the AXIS from Northern Europe, Western Europe and Baltic, Ukranian and Eastern European States...as they would have seen Stalin as the higher threat - than a German 4th Supreme Command - actually, the SOV profited mostly from the Nazis being worse than them - but they also murdered, raped, persecuted and tortured (remember aggressive wars like Finnland, Poland, Baltic States and claims on Romania? All before Barbarossa...) - just a little less than the Nazis...

Add in all the bad decisions done differently - which can be mostly directly linked to crazy Hitler and his high ranking Nazi buddies - more interceptors to defend the industry and manpower, better ressource management - due to being aware it is a long war - and the growing technological advantage and there is a stalemate in the West (due to a highly risky invasion - the intact, stronger German army could have defeated an invasion) and in the East - as the SOV run out of manpower for constant grinding costly attacks...it would still mean both are possible - invasions in the West and succesful offenses in the East - but AXIS player could punish a bad execution of these up to the point of being able to push back...
No NM script nerf bat, no more and more nerfed supply situation for the AXIS, real gains possible manpower and industry wise and not an unending manpower for the SOV and we should see quite a different picture...then VPs would need to get rebalanced maybe...
Again especially PBEMs would profit from a more dynamic, exciting, creative, free and open campaign...instead of a one sided, repetitive grind most of the time...the 4th Supreme command has been done already for WitW so why not for WitE? Just dreaming ;-D

Not to be misunderstood - I appreciate the effort of all devs - it still is the best War in the East game (I also own WitW and WitP AE - they are all best and most detailed of their theatre) and alone the number of patches and time of support is impressive - but there could be some improvements ;-D

All I can say to this is no, unless in addition to abstracting the German operational situation out of the context of the reality that was Hitler, you also assume that:

1. Germany was not at war with the U.K.
2. Germany did not declare war on the U.S.
3. Germany was not at war with 2/3rds of the productive capacity of the world in 1945
4. As the result of the above, Germany had access to the oil it needed to fly it's airplanes and drive it's tanks
5. Germany had free (as in uninterrupted) access to the raw materials needed to conduct the war
6. The German population had the same "will" to continue an offensive war in the Soviet Union to the point it's manpower was exhausted as the Soviet Union's people were in defense of their homeland.
7. All of the Germany's secondary allies felt the same investment in depleting their country of everything to do the same
8. All of Germany's allies were also only at war with the Soviet Union
9. That German industry was placed on a total war footing prior to Barbarossa
10. That Germans had adopted efficient vehicle design (eg the t-34) so that they could actually match Soviet production
11. Etc, etc, etc.

In other word the Germans had one chance in 1941 maybe through 1942 (I doubt it) to beat the Soviet Union. So in a game like this German meta-defeat is almost always a for gone conclusion, and the players' victories measured against historical outcomes. It's for these reasons in WiTW a German player can lose the war in July 1945 instead of May and get a Major Axis Victory.

Agreed.

Of course, it is a game, and the german player must have a real chance to win, but the balance shouldnt be 100% historic. Playing Germany should be difficult (if you achieve to win) but lets give the german player a chance.

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 241
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 8:14:36 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelwarrior7

quote:

The quitting problem is huge but your point begs the question of what a German 'win' is. If someone thinks that is a Russian surrender, then the game will (rightly) almost always disappoint anyone playing against a human. After all, IRL the war was neither a German win nor a draw. My approach has always been to decide who won by comparison to the historical outcome ie the date of the fall of Berlin. That gives the German much more of a chance than the game's much later end date.

I do not agree on quitting in a PBEM game at all - because it is unpolite - but the nerf bat that Germany receives - as explained above - additionally to the weaker position, is also just too much. I believe Germany could have at least acheived some kind of stalemate - also by managing the Winter better and not having Stalingrad happen as it did - actually Germany did not have that much less manpower then the SOV (check the population stats and the many children in Germany and add in Germanies allies) and the SOV would have run out of manpower at a point - if the AXIS would have continued to fight smart...it is just that the SOV did mobilize its manpower in comparison to its pop (so % wise) much more and the AXIS wasted its at times also (plus Germany was actually lighter on its own pop, by not sending women to the front - and no old and young until very late in the war - but with no Stalingrad and bad winter 41 plus some unnecessary no retreat orders and counter attacks (for example Kursk) - which a human player could do smarter - the will of the AXIS population to fight could have been much higher and by that also the mobilzed manpower) - so saying if the AXIS would have done better, like mentioned above, they could have come to a point where the mapower of the SOV was being exhausted (they did not have modern Chinas pop LOL - and additionally to the high losses at the front they had high civilian losses due to AXIS forces and crazy Stalin and his party. Now check the AARS and you will see many times more than 10 million losses for the SOV and another 10 million army - that is neither realistic nor historical - but due to the game engine giving the SOV a never exhausting MP pool) and by that a stalemate would have been enforced. What I believe many forget is - yes the SOV mobilized a huge manpower - but they could not have been mobilizing that much more - they already used women at the front...so if the AXIS could have inflicted more losses due to smarter dealing with their challenges and keeping a good defendable front and their own army intact - they may have been able to force a stalemate...not that in RL I would have wished for it ;-D But it is not impossible ;-D and should be recognized in a game like this...

Especially for a PBEM it would mean that both sides have limited offensive abilities until the end date - both can win due to smart offense and defense and losse due to bad offense and defense - that would result in a very exciting, open and dynamic campaign istead of a rather repetitive SOV grind against purely defensive AXIS from late 42 on...

Even more in an alternative scenario - Hitler is dead scenario (there were enough assasination attempts of which many failed due to bad luck) - , where the goons would not have abused the population of the Ukranians and Baltic states and the Jews and Western Europe - could have resulted in a much higher MP for the AXIS from Northern Europe, Western Europe and Baltic, Ukranian and Eastern European States...as they would have seen Stalin as the higher threat - than a German 4th Supreme Command - actually, the SOV profited mostly from the Nazis being worse than them - but they also murdered, raped, persecuted and tortured (remember aggressive wars like Finnland, Poland, Baltic States and claims on Romania? All before Barbarossa...) - just a little less than the Nazis...

Add in all the bad decisions done differently - which can be mostly directly linked to crazy Hitler and his high ranking Nazi buddies - more interceptors to defend the industry and manpower, better ressource management - due to being aware it is a long war - and the growing technological advantage and there is a stalemate in the West (due to a highly risky invasion - the intact, stronger German army could have defeated an invasion) and in the East - as the SOV run out of manpower for constant grinding costly attacks...it would still mean both are possible - invasions in the West and succesful offenses in the East - but AXIS player could punish a bad execution of these up to the point of being able to push back...
No NM script nerf bat, no more and more nerfed supply situation for the AXIS, real gains possible manpower and industry wise and not an unending manpower for the SOV and we should see quite a different picture...then VPs would need to get rebalanced maybe...
Again especially PBEMs would profit from a more dynamic, exciting, creative, free and open campaign...instead of a one sided, repetitive grind most of the time...the 4th Supreme command has been done already for WitW so why not for WitE? Just dreaming ;-D

Not to be misunderstood - I appreciate the effort of all devs - it still is the best War in the East game (I also own WitW and WitP AE - they are all best and most detailed of their theatre) and alone the number of patches and time of support is impressive - but there could be some improvements ;-D

All I can say to this is no, unless in addition to abstracting the German operational situation out of the context of the reality that was Hitler, you also assume that:

1. Germany was not at war with the U.K.
2. Germany did not declare war on the U.S.
3. Germany was not at war with 2/3rds of the productive capacity of the world in 1945
4. As the result of the above, Germany had access to the oil it needed to fly it's airplanes and drive it's tanks
5. Germany had free (as in uninterrupted) access to the raw materials needed to conduct the war
6. The German population had the same "will" to continue an offensive war in the Soviet Union to the point it's manpower was exhausted as the Soviet Union's people were in defense of their homeland.
7. All of the Germany's secondary allies felt the same investment in depleting their country of everything to do the same
8. All of Germany's allies were also only at war with the Soviet Union
9. That German industry was placed on a total war footing prior to Barbarossa
10. That Germans had adopted efficient vehicle design (eg the t-34) so that they could actually match Soviet production
11. Etc, etc, etc.

In other word the Germans had one chance in 1941 maybe through 1942 (I doubt it) to beat the Soviet Union. So in a game like this German meta-defeat is almost always a for gone conclusion, and the players' victories measured against historical outcomes. It's for these reasons in WiTW a German player can lose the war in July 1945 instead of May and get a Major Axis Victory.

Agreed.

Of course, it is a game, and the german player must have a real chance to win, but the balance shouldnt be 100% historic. Playing Germany should be difficult (if you achieve to win) but lets give the german player a chance.

Could doing Manstein strategies keep Germany in Russia into '45?

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 242
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 8:23:08 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

Why should the Rusisans be required to fight forward
I don't think they should required, but coaxed to, by not being wiped out in year 1 if they do, and paying a price if they don't. Carrot and stick.

Political and economic considerations have no CV but are real enough as to be the cause of war in the first place. Likewise, when Germans lose Nikopol, the entire war economy should be on a timer to shut down. If we're to have such a detailed game as this without making historical options playable and subjecting players to economic realities , it fails as a simulation at the highest level.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 243
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 8:29:46 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

quote:

Why should the Rusisans be required to fight forward
I don't think they should required, but coaxed to, by not being wiped out in year 1 if they do, and paying a price if they don't. Carrot and stick.

Political and economic considerations have no CV but are real enough as to be the cause of war in the first place. Likewise, when Germans lose Nikopol, the entire war economy should be on a timer to shut down. If we're to have such a detailed game as this without making historical options playable and subjecting players to economic realities , it fails as a simulation at the highest level.

I can see fighting forward enough to save factories to be moved and to slow the Germans so the Russian can build up defenses. Seems like not fighting forward can be just as bad.

Tactical/strategic advantages to both stay or run, The biggest being the bigger Russian manpower pool if they run. Seems there could be naturally occurring things to offset that

as was said "Russians fight when they should surrender and surrender when they should fight."

City VPs based on year and the city itself.

Closing pockets should be difficult and with maybe some Russians put back into manpower or partisans as might be done already.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/7/2016 9:52:39 PM >

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 244
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 8:57:51 PM   
KWG

quote:

Likewise, when Germans lose Nikopol, the entire war economy should be on a timer to shut down. If we're to have such a detailed game as this without making historical options playable and subjecting players to economic realities , it fails as a simulation at the highest level.

A more resource-to-industry specific system with it's effects on production .

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 245
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 9:06:38 PM   
SigUp

quote:

I would suggest something entirely else, increase offensive losses. I always had a problem with the artificial blizzard penalty. The Wehrmacht didn't drop from juggernaut to punching bag in a single week due to the weather. Soviet success in the Winter 41-42 was largely due to absolute exhaustion and overextension of the German units. And how did they exhauste the German forces? By fighting. December 41 was actually the month with the lowest German losses until April 42. Meanwhile the Heer really bled from July to October 41. The 195.000 men lost in August 41 wasn't surpassed until July 43.

Ideally I would prefer that the Soviet player faces this choice: a) fight forward, risking your frontline units, with the gain being the attrition of the Wehrmacht, leading to a more vulnerable Heer in winter b) save his army by retreating, however, then face the possibility of a much stouter Wehrmacht in winter and far fewer gain in winter.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 246
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 9:41:38 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

I would suggest something entirely else, increase offensive losses. I always had a problem with the artificial blizzard penalty. The Wehrmacht didn't drop from juggernaut to punching bag in a single week due to the weather. Soviet success in the Winter 41-42 was largely due to absolute exhaustion and overextension of the German units. And how did they exhauste the German forces? By fighting. December 41 was actually the month with the lowest German losses until April 42. Meanwhile the Heer really bled from July to October 41. The 195.000 men lost in August 41 wasn't surpassed until July 43.

Ideally I would prefer that the Soviet player faces this choice: a) fight forward, risking your frontline units, with the gain being the attrition of the Wehrmacht, leading to a more vulnerable Heer in winter b) save his army by retreating, however, then face the possibility of a much stouter Wehrmacht in winter and far fewer gain in winter.

Since I don't disagree with any of that I can't see how it's entirely different, rather complementary. To attrite the wehrmacht over summer and have a realistic chance of surviving as historically, is a carrot. We all know losses are too low all round and this generally favours the Germans. If the unattrited Wehrmacht threatens the viability of a deep defence, there's the stick.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 247
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 9:52:30 PM   
Mehring

quote:

I can see fighting forward enough to save factories to be moved and to slow the Germans so the Russian can build up defenses. Seems like not fighting forward can be just as bad.

Tactical/strategic advantages to both stay or run, The biggest being the bigger Russian manpower pool if they run. Seems there could be naturally occurring things to offset that

It can be very tense managing a rearguard to protect your industry evacuation program but that still involves running far more than historically. When you stand and the tanks break through you lose far more industry than historically. That, I think, is because the Russians are too soft in defence early on and tend to lose more of their initial force in the south.

I suspect though, that just giving the Russians a few hexes deployment freedom could upset the best Axis first turners. Even if they don't play from a crib sheet, some must know the Russian set up blindfolded by now. Particularly with the extended Lvov pocket, a well executed first turn can be almost as crippling as Hitler intended.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 248
RE: WitE 2 - 1/7/2016 10:21:29 PM   
KWG

quote:

quote:

The Germans had fought almost nonstop, conquering a lot and territory and Russian troops and still the Germans pressed on through the mud and snow, stringing units out and sapping what strength was left.

Playing as Germans against the AI I start digging in when the mud hits, making some line corrections and can do ok even with harsh winter.

Is track being laid too fast in game?

Will the new supply system change the first few turns? And any of the game's offensives.

Playing as Allies and as Germans in WitW, it's different for each side; as in majority offensive compared to majority defensive.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/7/2016 11:49:59 PM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 249
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 12:30:47 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

quote:

quote:

Since I don't disagree with any of that I can't see how it's entirely different, rather complementary. To attrite the wehrmacht over summer and have a realistic chance of surviving as historically, is a carrot. We all know losses are too low all round and this generally favours the Germans. If the unattrited Wehrmacht threatens the viability of a deep defence, there's the stick.

Hopefully 2.0 will reflex historical combat ratio's - the issue is loses are cool if they are historical all things being equal. Russian loses are far to low which favors Russia not Germany.

Flip the coin.

Quarter----------Soviet KIAs----------German KIAs----Soviet to German KIA Ratio

Q3 1941----------280k-----------------160k-----------1.75
Q4 1941----------290k-----------------110k-----------2.64

Q1 1942----------450k-----------------130k-----------3.46
Q2 1942----------280k-----------------80k------------3.50
Q3 1942----------490k-----------------130k-----------3.77
Q4 1942----------350k-----------------90k------------3.89

Q1 1943----------550k-----------------110k-----------5.0
Q2 1943----------175k-----------------40k------------4.38
Q3 1943----------680k-----------------160k-----------4.25
Q4 1943----------490k-----------------120k-----------4.08

Q1 1944----------510k-----------------125k-----------4.08
Q2 1944----------290k-----------------80k------------3.63
Q3 1944----------450k-----------------170k-----------2.65
Q4 1944----------290k-----------------125k-----------2.32

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/8/2016 1:40:09 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 250
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 12:35:36 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

quote:

quote:

Playing vs AI you should be in Moscow by turn 7-12 if your not you really don't have a handle on 1.0

vs humans lacking and understanding of rulesets Moscow is possible in 41 vs someone who understands the rulesets Peltonx vs BrianG

Player understanding of the rulesets or not makes for completely different games.

WAD can mean allot of different things.

The Germans had fought almost nonstop, conquering a lot and territory and Russian troops and still the Germans pressed on through the mud and snow, stringing units out and sapping what strength was left.

Playing as Germans against the AI I start digging in when the mud hits, making some line corrections and can do ok even with harsh winter.

Is track being laid too fast in game?

Will the new supply system change the first few turns? And any of the game's offensives.

Playing as Allies and as Germans in WitW, it's different for each side; as in majority offensive compared to majority defensive.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/8/2016 1:35:57 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 251
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 12:40:56 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

quote:

+1

Q3 1941----------280k-----------------160k-----------1.75
Q4 1941----------290k-----------------110k-----------2.64

Q1 1942----------450k-----------------130k-----------3.46
Q2 1942----------280k-----------------80k------------3.50

and Kursk

Q3 1943----------680k-----------------160k-----------4.25

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/8/2016 1:42:55 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 252
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:08:55 AM   
KWG

quote:

Playing vs AI you should be in Moscow by turn 7-12 if your not you really don't have a handle on 1.0

vs humans lacking and understanding of rulesets Moscow is possible in 41 vs someone who understands the rulesets Peltonx vs BrianG

Player understanding of the rulesets or not makes for completely different games.

WAD can mean allot of different things.

Playing vs AI you should be in Moscow by turn 7-12. I dont see much in the middle that I want to take.
Iam a North and South German man myself. I get Leningrad in '41 and Iam well set in the South when summer '42 hits due to a big Kiev pocket and many other smaller ones.
Id rather destroy as many Russians as I can than waste troops fighting toward Moscow.

Now who was it that had this plan for a few weeks? HMMM!

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/8/2016 3:19:08 AM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 253
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 9:00:42 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton
Russian loses are far to low which favors Russia not Germany.

All losses are way too low. As someone who plays both sides with equal pleasure and on terms that are not designed to facilitate my win every time, I can assert that however many pixel Russians might not be dying when they should, low losses favours the Germans as-

1. The game has to some extent compensated for ahistorical Russian losses by greatly reducing Russian recruitment.
2. The Germans do not arrive at the gates of Moscow bled white as they did historically and continue the war in this condition, however well and intensely the Russians fight through summer 41.
3. The Germans are more mobile, organisationally, tactically and strategically, enabling them to concentrate force for offence and defence much more rapidly than the Russians, thus mitigating Russian manpower advantages. There need be no weak spots in the Axis lines as there were historically and the Germans will find it far easier than historically, to seal off breakthroughs and maintain a retreating trench war as per your last game vs smokindave.

I'm sure I could find other points if I had another coffee.

You seem to want your cake and eat it. While you frequently complain that in game the Russians win by losing, does this not agree with your historical outlook regarding the enduring superiority of German arms? According to this, the game is working fine except that the Germans don't automatically win. Hate to join the many here who have reminded you over the years, but historically they didn't. Current game balance tends the end result towards the historical, but goes about it the wrong way in my view. It does not always simulate the contending forces as well as it could but instead uses artificial game mechanisms to manipulate the end result.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 254
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 10:21:22 AM   
RedLancer

I thought I'd add some observations from a development perspective as it is not quite as easy as some might think.

- Pelton is correct in that the new logistics system will have a huge impact.
- Losses should be historical - but the caveat is that only if history is followed. Ratios do provide a guide but to get a combat result ratio that changes over time you must have a lever in the game data to affect that change. At the moment that is essentially the changing TOE/Ground Elements and National Morale. There are other levers to generate losses like attrition rates and the blizzard rules but can be seen as artificial.
- The offset to this is if you do better than history should you suffer due to preset limits imposed to try and replicate historical losses? There is no easy answer without creating a yet more complicated system. Every additional complication adds more development time to both add and test.
- I've spent a lot of time looking at losses given the comments I see. A large number of casualties are hidden within the current system as they are automatically recycled within the logistics phase. Those heading to the disabled pool are essentially the VSI which make up only 20% of casualties (See Diagram which shows approximate historical casualty behaviour). Also as the game does not model all the manpower on the battlefield total losses are very difficult to estimate.
- This is where it comes back to the logistics system. WitE1 has railheads with essentially limitless capacity. So assuming you fulfilled the range rules, had enough trucks and materiel in the pools and passed the rolls then you would receive supply. This keeps units artificially well supplied and supported compared to history. WitE2 is very different in this regard as railheads require depots and what they can deliver is constrained by their freight holdings. This impacts not only on supply but also replacements. There is no way that I can imagine that Axis units in WitE2.0 will be in a better shape at the end of 1941. As logistics are difficult to manage then making the gains in 1941 to get to the gates of Moscow and Leningrad may be arguably more difficult.
- Taking that a stage further - assuming that the Axis are weaker in Dec 41 then the special 1941 blizzard rules could be weaker (or not required at all). All this is yet to be seen as the WitE2.0 systems are still not up and running enough for more detailed tests.

Attachment (1)

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 255
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 11:32:51 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I thought I'd add some observations from a development perspective as it is not quite as easy as some might think.

- Pelton is correct in that the new logistics system will have a huge impact.
- Losses should be historical - but the caveat is that only if history is followed. Ratios do provide a guide but to get a combat result ratio that changes over time you must have a lever in the game data to affect that change. At the moment that is essentially the changing TOE/Ground Elements and National Morale. There are other levers to generate losses like attrition rates and the blizzard rules but can be seen as artificial.
- The offset to this is if you do better than history should you suffer due to preset limits imposed to try and replicate historical losses? There is no easy answer without creating a yet more complicated system. Every additional complication adds more development time to both add and test.
- I've spent a lot of time looking at losses given the comments I see. A large number of casualties are hidden within the current system as they are automatically recycled within the logistics phase. Those heading to the disabled pool are essentially the VSI which make up only 20% of casualties (See Diagram which shows approximate historical casualty behaviour). Also as the game does not model all the manpower on the battlefield total losses are very difficult to estimate.
- This is where it comes back to the logistics system. WitE1 has railheads with essentially limitless capacity. So assuming you fulfilled the range rules, had enough trucks and materiel in the pools and passed the rolls then you would receive supply. This keeps units artificially well supplied and supported compared to history. WitE2 is very different in this regard as railheads require depots and what they can deliver is constrained by their freight holdings. This impacts not only on supply but also replacements. There is no way that I can imagine that Axis units in WitE2.0 will be in a better shape at the end of 1941. As logistics are difficult to manage then making the gains in 1941 to get to the gates of Moscow and Leningrad may be arguably more difficult.
- Taking that a stage further - assuming that the Axis are weaker in Dec 41 then the special 1941 blizzard rules could be weaker (or not required at all). All this is yet to be seen as the WitE2.0 systems are still not up and running enough for more detailed tests.

I'm not at all convinced, though, that casualty figure ratios is all the problem. There don't seem to be enough casualties generated by some battles in the first place and one of the issues could be that the game seems to treat all battles as the same. You cannot issue a "hold/take at all costs" order, which, assuming the units involved are compliant, is going to result in significantly higher loss than an encounter in terrain that either or both sides considers unessential to theiroperation or strategy.

Prisoner taking, as represented in losses data at least, is almost exclusively the result of isolating and destroying units. This doesn't tally with my reading. Hundreds and thousands of prisoners were taken in normal fighting, both from locally surrounded positions, ie within a hex, and those whose occupants just had enough and threw down their weapons. Then there are the battlefield disabled of the retreating side that should be less likely to enter any repair pool. Perhaps this is represented in a different way, but I don't see those losses.

Sure every time you alter a lever or add a new one, it impacts on all the others and that takes time to test. No hurry, WitE 1 is still a great game to play.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 256
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 11:49:51 AM   
chaos45

Casualties per battle is the issue---especially for fighting in Terrain.

To me the game battle results basically only simulate combat in open areas---basically where once one side gains a local advantage the other side most likely just retreats so line of sight due to few hills or whatnot causes a quick change to the tactical situation.

Losses for combat in any type of bad terrain are much to low especially city/urban or even major towns. If you read about fighting on the eastern front even small towns were often turned into virtual fortresses that often involved heavy fighting to take if they werent just given up due to flanking.

Read up on the attrition losses 6th Army suffered in Stalingrad even after the major fighting was done.----typically over 1k men per day from attrition alone with no major operations going on. would be hard to do in the game unless being adjacent to the enemy in certain terrains increased attrition losses---but one key fix would be to make all fighting in terrain increase losses as it should. City fights should be bloodbaths for both sides if the city is heavily defended...not 1-2k losses per side then the other side runs for it. Commanders for both sides would be executed on the spot for surrendering cities after taking so few losses to give them up or give up fighting for them.

< Message edited by chaos45 -- 1/8/2016 12:50:39 PM >

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 257
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 12:43:01 PM   
RedLancer

If you have data that can be compared to a single combat in a hex then we'll be laughing. I'm afraid that it's not that easy. The key problem is defining what a loss actually is. Fighting in dense terrain reduced casualties according to Dupuy and he looked at this much more than I ever did.

His findings were:

1. In the average modern battle, the attacker's numerical strength is about double the defender's.
2. In the average modern battle, the attacker is more often successful than the defender.
3. Attrition r:ates of winners are lower than those of losers.
4. Small force casualty rates are higher than those of large forces.
5. More effective forces inflict casualties at a higher rate
than less effective opponents.
6. There is no direct relationship between force ratios and attrition rates.
7. In the average modern battle, the numerical losses of attacker and defender are similar.
8. Loss rates for defenders vary inversely with strength of fortifications.
9. Loss rates of a surprising force are lower than those of a surprised force.
10.. In the average modern battle, attacker loss rates are somewhat lower than defender loss rates.
11. In bad weather, casualty rates for both sides decline markedly.
12. In difficult terrain, casualty rates for both sides decline
13. The casualty-inflicting capability of a force declines
after each successive day in combat.
14. Casualty rates are lower at night than in daytime.
15. Casualty rates are higher in summer than in winter.
16. The faster the front line moves, the lower the casualty rates for both sides.
17, Casualty Rates decline during crossings.
18. An "all--out" effort by one side raises loss rates for both sides.
19. A force with greater overall combat power inflicts casualties at a greater rate than the opponent.
20. The breakout of personnel casualties in 20th Century warfare is consistent.
21. Materiel loss rate are related to personnel casualty rates.
22. Tank loss rates are five to seven times higher than personnel casualty rates.
23. Attacker tank loss rates are generally higher than defender tank loss rates.
24. Artillery materiel loss rates are generally about one tenth personnel casualty rates.
25. Self-propelled artillery loss rates are about three times greater than for towed ones.
26. Average World War II division engagement casualty rates were one to three percent a day.
27. Attrition rates in the 1973 October War were comparable to World War II.
28. Casualty rates in minor hostilities after 1945 are about half those experienced in World War II.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 258
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 12:59:34 PM   
Mehring

"You cannot issue a "hold/take at all costs" order, which, assuming the units involved are compliant, is going to result in significantly higher loss than an encounter in terrain that either or both sides considers unessential to theiroperation or strategy."

So the critical factor is not the terrain but the determination of the belligerents to hold or take it.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 259
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 1:00:54 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

Casualties per battle is the issue---especially for fighting in Terrain.

To me the game battle results basically only simulate combat in open areas---basically where once one side gains a local advantage the other side most likely just retreats so line of sight due to few hills or whatnot causes a quick change to the tactical situation.

Losses for combat in any type of bad terrain are much to low especially city/urban or even major towns. If you read about fighting on the eastern front even small towns were often turned into virtual fortresses that often involved heavy fighting to take if they werent just given up due to flanking.

Read up on the attrition losses 6th Army suffered in Stalingrad even after the major fighting was done.----typically over 1k men per day from attrition alone with no major operations going on. would be hard to do in the game unless being adjacent to the enemy in certain terrains increased attrition losses---but one key fix would be to make all fighting in terrain increase losses as it should. City fights should be bloodbaths for both sides if the city is heavily defended...not 1-2k losses per side then the other side runs for it. Commanders for both sides would be executed on the spot for surrendering cities after taking so few losses to give them up or give up fighting for them.

you are over-generalising to be honest, not least from Pelton game that is going to be inevitably off the norm (and that is not meant as a criticism). Recent city battle from my AAR:

looks fine to me, especially when you consider most of the disruptions on both sides are actually lightly wounded men who return to their units in a week or two

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 260
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 1:07:54 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

"You cannot issue a "hold/take at all costs" order, which, assuming the units involved are compliant, is going to result in significantly higher loss than an encounter in terrain that either or both sides considers unessential to theiroperation or strategy."

So the critical factor is not the terrain but the determination of the belligerents to hold or take it.

I agree but the question is whether adding more combat stances is worth the effort. I'd like to see a delay stance and even I am not sure that we can include this.

Is a deliberate attack not already an attempt to fight at all costs? You can always attack again if you want to and have MPs. Should static mode include an element of hold at all costs (no trucks to escape in)?

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 261
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 1:18:20 PM   
morvael

The problem is with defending side, they have no way to choose hold at all cost stance, nor delay stance.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 262
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 1:41:46 PM   
chaos45

That city battle----well 2 weak hungarian divisions vs a massive soviet attacks...losses probably about right. Axis allied units in general not only were worse trained but usually had smaller/less supported ToE than German units.

Now if it was 2 German divisions vs that massive attack the losses should be much higher before the city is given up.

Also Pelton isnt the only person Ive played, just the first person I played lol---had several give up before getting to far into the game. An have one other game ongoing I havent been doing an AAR of on the boards---so my comments/suggestions arent purely from 1 game.

< Message edited by chaos45 -- 1/8/2016 3:04:25 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 263
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 1:53:01 PM   
chaos45

Another caveat---difficult terrain does not explain urban terrain. City/urban terrain is a completely different animal for modern combat WW2 to current.

Losses should in general be much higher for urban combat. Ever modern military now is practicing for urban combat and its general knowledge amongst military professionals that urban combat is the most casualty intensive fighting one can become involved in because you cant use preponderance of firepower to best advantage.

It takes a squad on the ground to go into a place and usually that means casulaties. A squad can be wiped out in an instant in urban ops.

Also think your ratios/statistics are wrong----you are comparing only western type military operations. Soviet assaults in WW2 often esp in the Early war were more like WW1 assaults. The key problem is, is trying to juggle the system to the point they actually improved to more modern/western style assault tactics...basically by the end of 1942 or so.

its tough to balance over 4 years of game play and how much the soviets improved/germans declined in that time period.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 264
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 1:58:07 PM   
morvael

Without teaching the AI when and how to use it (that's the hard part), I would imagine that it could work like this:

1) Every unit should have defensive stance attribute, that tells what tactics it will use when attacked:
- withdraw: unit falls back as soon as attacked (apply 80-90% reduction to firefight and post-combat losses; retreat regardless of final CV ratio; massively reduce chance to rout or shatter)
- delay (apply 50-70% reduction to firefight and post-combat losses; retreat at 1:1 final CV ratio; reduce chance to rout or shatter)
- hold (normal combat, just like now)
- hold at all cost (apply retreat-like post-combat losses to both sides; never retreat; slightly increase chance to rout or shatter - that's the only way possible to vacate the target hex after combat)
2) In case of units with different stances, use the strongest form of defense.
3) When preparing to launch deliberate attack cursor icon should indicate if there are units in the target hex in "hold at all cost" stance, to warn attacking player that he will perform an "all-out assault".
4) For user-friendliness, it should be possible to alter this for all units under single HQ in one go, just like you can turn refit on or off. Also, in Commander's Report.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 265
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:06:54 PM   
RedLancer

I am quoting Dupuy's work. The table below is his not mine. It is still less than Open[sic] terrain but greater than other close terrain types for the reasons that you explain.

Attachment (1)

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 266
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:07:49 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

Another caveat---difficult terrain does not explain urban terrain. City/urban terrain is a completely different animal for modern combat WW2 to current.

I think the difference stems from the fact that it's usually "a hold at all cost" defense when it comes to fighting for big cities. Also, most of the factors reducing casualties in combat in difficult terrain are caused by the fact that there is no way to logistically support it (guess you couldn't transport enough ammo on donkeys in a Monte Cassio-like terrain to support a Red Army-level artillery barrage), and no way to use heavy equipment like tanks (so only pure infantry forces are involved) - partially from terrain (tanks sink in swamps) and as well logistics (moving huge quantities of fuel, POL, spare parts on daily basis). That's why there was no Panzer Gruppe to take out Murmansk by an early strike from northern Norway and head south to Leningrad. It's also harder to move on foot (climb a mountain with 40kg of equipment and see how you feel) and coordinate attacks. Meanwhile although cities themselves are difficult terrain (especially when in ruins) there is usually an improved infrastructure around them (railway hubs, paved roads etc), that allows to feed troops into a meatgrinder without abandon. So that's why cities are perfect if you want to bathe in blood: desperate troops and commanders getting quite a lot of ammo to fight and a lot of cover (bear in mind lot of cover itself reduces casualites in modern battle), so it's hard to root them out. But not all cities were so contested, and there was a lot of featureless terrain that was heavier contested too. It all depends on the will and ability of both sides.

< Message edited by morvael -- 1/8/2016 3:09:54 PM >

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 267
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:10:04 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael
3) When preparing to launch deliberate attack cursor icon should indicate if there are units in the target hex in "hold at all cost" stance, to warn attacking player that he will perform an "all-out assault".

I wouldn't want this part of it. I don't see why an attacker should have knowledge of the defender's stance. Far too helpful and unrealistic. I'd rather that if you make a deliberate attack it's a chance you take.
As always with these things leader quality and personality type should have a strong influence on casualties and stances. My preference would be that some leaders are simply incapable of selecting certain stances.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 268
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:14:03 PM   
morvael

Well, this was a simplification to avoid having the attacker to choose his stances (more work on the GUI, two variables instead of one). But it's certainly possible to add them in.
edit: at this scale you can think of it as initial forays towards enemy lines revealed him in to be in a serious mood.

It would be possible to make leader morale rolls for hold at all cost stance, and to make leader initiative rolls for withdraw/delay stances, and convert them to hold if failed.

< Message edited by morvael -- 1/8/2016 3:16:58 PM >

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 269
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:14:18 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I agree but the question is whether adding more combat stances is worth the effort. I'd like to see a delay stance and even I am not sure that we can include this.

Is a deliberate attack not already an attempt to fight at all costs? You can always attack again if you want to and have MPs. Should static mode include an element of hold at all costs (no trucks to escape in)?

To my way of thinking, it would be worth the (your) effort if it raises casualties. It's also a micromanager's heaven so an option to leave it out might be good for other players. Sorry, that was cheeky. Now I've managed to exchange a few posts with someone who hasn't always been civil in the past, I might just help on the testing if there's a place for me.

My understanding of hasty and deliberate attacks are, respectively, those carried out by an advanced guard and those which involve deployment of a larger portion of the unit in question. So the latter will be employed where significant resistance is known and intel indicates the defenders can't be brushed aside. Both work well for me as is. Deliberate attacks are distinct, then, from, let's call it a desperate attack, in which subordinates are ordered to take objectives regardless of casualties. Such an attack may not involve significantly higher MP expenditure, not sure. Ideally, there should be three categories each of attack/defence, in my view.

Although I take the point that difficult terrain reduces casualties relative to clear terrain given the same munitions expenditure/determination of each side to own it, difficult terrain is also often the object of the combatants' desires. A poor second choice might be to up casualties in difficult terrain.

Thinking further on variable MP expenditure for attacks, I think it's the best idea I've had all week. If units fail their admin checks and assemble late, you could have an option to postpone the attack, using MPs for the entire attack formation, or put in an understrength attack, maybe hoping the late units act as activated reserves.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI