Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

tank graphics and facing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> tank graphics and facing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
tank graphics and facing - 1/9/2016 7:32:30 PM   
frighteningfred

This is some feedback. I like the side graphics of the vehicles and I take it that the colored corner represents it's facing? Would it be possible for the tank graphics to match their facing?

Thank you
Sean
Post #: 1
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/9/2016 7:43:42 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: frighteningfred

This is some feedback. I like the side graphics of the vehicles and I take it that the colored corner represents it's facing? Would it be possible for the tank graphics to match their facing?

Thank you
Sean

Yes, the corner triangles represent the ordnance/vehicle facing. The vehicle counter does not rotate, there is only one image.

(in reply to frighteningfred)
Post #: 2
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/10/2016 4:28:09 AM   
frighteningfred

Thank you for the quick reply. I look forward to the game. I know you were looking for this game to be similar to ASL which uses top down Tank graphics. Any designer insight on the style of the graphics you picked and why? Just curious. I am looking forward to this title and plan on adding this title to my collection.
Thanks
Sean

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 3
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/10/2016 7:35:44 AM   
fran52

There is another triangle for the turret?One good thing of Heroe of Stalingrad is the rotation of the turret but i know that this involves to do a turret for each model(big work).

Post #: 4
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/10/2016 1:09:26 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

Thank you for the quick reply. I look forward to the game. I know you were looking for this game to be similar to ASL which uses top down Tank graphics. Any designer insight on the style of the graphics you picked and why? Just curious. I am looking forward to this title and plan on adding this title to my collection.
Thanks
Sean

The simple reason being that, there are 95 Ordnance and 162 vehicles in the game, so that's 257 images to start with. So if I would go with the drop down design, I would need in total 257 x 6 = 1542 images this does not even include the 6 different graphics images for a turret for a vehicle. There are quite a few tanks with turrets in the game, It's just too much effort and time. If I would go with top down view of ordnance and vehicles then I think support weapons and all personnel counters should be top down as well - I simply didn't want to go down this path.

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 1/10/2016 2:11:11 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/10/2016 3:43:02 PM   
pad152

I don't care that much about six sided facing, would be nice though but, would like to see counter flipping so unit's are facing the enemy/enemy line, much in the way the Campaign Series does it. My reason goes something like this; if the game had 3D units surely they would face each other, so why shouldn't 2D counters? I'm sure this is a board gamer VS. computer gamer thing, where board gamers don't care but, looks odd to us computer wargamers, if I see a unit facing away from the enemy it looks to me like it's moving away from the enemy, too many years of computer wargames.

Post #: 6
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/11/2016 5:48:43 AM   
fran52

There is no answer to my question:There is another triangle for the turret?

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/11/2016 9:50:37 AM   
Richie61

quote:

ORIGINAL: acropora

There is no answer to my question:There is another triangle for the turret?

Yes, there is another triangle for turrets in TotH.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to fran52)
Post #: 8
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/11/2016 12:35:29 PM   
Gerry4321

How did HoS program it so the turret swings and the tank is facing the right way? IOW is there a way to do it w/o 6 versions of each vehicle?

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 9
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/11/2016 3:24:27 PM   
fran52

quote:

Yes, there is another triangle for turrets in TotH.

Thank you.All clear.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 10
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/14/2016 4:07:31 PM   
frighteningfred

Whoops I didn't mean to open up a can of worms. As much as I would like to have the tank graphic face the direction
of their arc, I would never expect you to go back and reprogram these images.
My question was simply why did you decide to go with side profiles rather than another profile. Its just a curiosity and in no way a criticism.
Thank you
Sean

Post #: 11
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/14/2016 9:06:45 PM   
pad152

I wouldn't change anything at this point, get the game released first then see what if anything needs changing!

Post #: 12
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/15/2016 4:55:50 AM   
giffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

I wouldn't change anything at this point, get the game released first then see what if anything needs changing!

Agreed lets get this game out there so we can all play and then the MODS will come!

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 13
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/15/2016 6:18:05 AM   
tigercub

tank graphics and facing yup there going to be crap!

until modded!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to giffin)
Post #: 14
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/15/2016 7:53:44 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punisher007

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Agreed lets get this game out there so we can all play and then the MODS will come!

Absolutely agree

(in reply to giffin)
Post #: 15
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/22/2016 7:19:40 PM   
Grotius

So I sometimes see two triangles on AFVs: one green, one amber. Is the green the hull facing? And amber the turret facing? Or other way around?

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 16
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/22/2016 9:10:48 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

So I sometimes see two triangles on AFVs: one green, one amber. Is the green the hull facing? And amber the turret facing? Or other way around?

The big green triangle represents hull facing and gold one represents turret facing.

When the big triangle is green, this means the vehicle crew is buttoned up, if the big triangle is red this means the vehicle crew is exposed. Also, vehicles like American M10 TD or German Marder TD are open topped so the big triangle will be red. If you don't see the gold triangle this means that the turret is facing the same way as the hull.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/23/2016 6:55:45 AM   
fran52

From TitH features.

I read that few days left to the release of the game,so i could wait to read the manual, but i'm curious to know if in the game there are different condition of the terrain,ie the mud and the snow that affect the movement point?

Post #: 18
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/23/2016 7:18:24 AM   
Paullus

quote:

ORIGINAL: acropora

From TitH features.

I read that few days left to the release of the game,so i could wait to read the manual, but i'm curious to know if in the game there are different condition of the terrain,ie the mud and the snow that affect the movement point?

No there is no weather effects on the terrain in the Game. Perhaps something to put on the wish list for future expansions?

(in reply to fran52)
Post #: 19
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/23/2016 11:24:02 AM   
Peter Fisla

The game is scheduled for release sometime in the middle of February...

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 20
RE: tank graphics and facing - 1/26/2016 3:26:11 AM   
bretg80

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

Thanks
Sean

The simple reason being that, there are 95 Ordnance and 162 vehicles in the game, so that's 257 images to start with. So if I would go with the drop down design, I would need in total 257 x 6 = 1542 images this does not even include the 6 different graphics images for a turret for a vehicle. There are quite a few tanks with turrets in the game, It's just too much effort and time. If I would go with top down view of ordnance and vehicles then I think support weapons and all personnel counters should be top down as well - I simply didn't want to go down this path.

If you make this a mod-able feature your players will do the work for you. Think about it, it will make the game better.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> tank graphics and facing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI