Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Night Moves Slow

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Night Moves Slow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Night Moves Slow - 1/13/2016 1:24:06 PM   
zulurider

Has anyone noticed that when executing the night move phase, it is much slower going than the day move phase? I usually use the ESC key to blast through some combat resolution resolutions, but at night there is a "lag". Not sure if this is just me.
Post #: 1
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/13/2016 2:09:25 PM   
Alfred

Just you.

Alfred

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 2
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/13/2016 2:21:04 PM   
Lecivius

Not to put to fine of a point on it, but yeah. It's just you

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/13/2016 11:26:19 PM   
BBfanboy

Not the combat resolutions, but the Coast Watcher search by the other side in the night phase takes forever but during the day phase it zips right past with the map bouncing all over.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 4
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/13/2016 11:36:10 PM   
mi4041

Thanks for the Coast Watcher explanation -- that at least let's me save some face.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 1:50:47 AM   
witpqs

I think it's just that light moves slower in the dark...

(in reply to mi4041)
Post #: 6
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 3:09:18 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: mi4041

Thanks for the Coast Watcher explanation -- that at least let's me save some face.

The Coast Watcher Phase involves no combat. The OP specifically refers to combat for which he uses the "esc" key.

There is no difference between the night and day Coast Watcher phases. You only get a Coast Watch report if there is something to report in the specific hex the coast watcher is in. That will usually be the night phase as vessels leave port in the night and are no longer in the hex come the day phase.

Alfred

(in reply to mi4041)
Post #: 7
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 4:50:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: mi4041

The Coast Watcher Phase involves no combat. The OP specifically refers to combat for which he uses the "esc" key.

There is no difference between the night and day Coast Watcher phases. You only get a Coast Watch report if there is something to report in the specific hex the coast watcher is in. That will usually be the night phase as vessels leave port in the night and are no longer in the hex come the day phase.

Alfred

I am reporting what I am seeing. I have the "messages" option set at 1.0 seconds and when the coastwatcher step starts, it flashes a one second text for each location. Since I do not want this delay I hit Esc as soon as the first coastwatcher base reports and it eliminates the text report, but does not speed up the execution of the CW step significantly. However, when the day phase runs the CW step whizzes by with the map jumping around so quickly you cannot focus on any point.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 12:49:56 PM   
John B.

I get the coast watcher phase bouncing around in both night and day.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 2:08:09 PM   
BBfanboy

Hmmm - I wonder why I do not?
Part of the issue may be that I am at the stage of invading Japan and have taken most of their bases, so the AI has a LOT of coastwatcher reports to create for itself.
What is your Message Delay setting John B. ? I have mine at 1.0 seconds because there are some messages I want to see during game turn execution, but the coastwatcher ones I want to skip.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 10
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 6:55:35 PM   
John B.

BBFanboy,

I'm set at 1.0 as well and here are the rest of my settings. I've always had coast watcher reports that jump around both at day and at night and they scroll through quickly.

John

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/14/2016 7:38:16 PM   
BBfanboy

Thanks John B. I am now really mystified - my settings are similar to yours but hexside off, so that should mean faster handling of the graphics.
I'll put it down to the IJA coastwatchers drinking too much sake!
The slow down during this step does allow me to do all the things people do when commercials come on TV.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 12
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/15/2016 8:32:28 PM   
zulurider

The lag is most noticeable when the AI conducts the dreaded and fruitless Night Air Attacks.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/19/2016 9:48:05 AM   
Libertate

Fix it through the startup settings. I had this same problem. You can find the settings in the readme for the updates. They are on the first page, I think. They are the ones that deal with widescreen, single core/multiple core CPU, colors, etcetera.

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 14
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/19/2016 1:12:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Libertate

Fix it through the startup settings. I had this same problem. You can find the settings in the readme for the updates. They are on the first page, I think. They are the ones that deal with widescreen, single core/multiple core CPU, colors, etcetera.

You misunderstand the gist of the issue - the slowdown is not general during all game steps, it occurs only at night and in my case during the Coastwatcher Search portion during the Japanese AI portion of the turn execution (I have a lot of IJ bases for their coastwatchers to search). The settings you mention are general to the whole game, not just the night phase.

(in reply to Libertate)
Post #: 15
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/19/2016 9:30:52 PM   
Libertate

You're right, BBFanboy - I was way too decisive and inflexible. Please allow me to hedge a little where I should have, and to be more specific where specificity was required:

You may be able to fix this problem using one of the "performance switches" listed under "Troubleshooting" in the readme file. I had a problem similar to the one described by the original poster (slow night phase resolution; but the day phase whipped!). It was wicked annoying. It almost made the game unplayable. I fixed it using the performance switches. I, just now, experimented with my system and the performance switches. The performance switch that worked to resolve this issue for me was -dd_sw. When I remove that switch I get excruciatingly slow night phase resolutions, while the day phase zips along like it should.

I have no idea what may be causing your slow-coastwatcher-phase-only issue, BBFanboy. I saw the original post; I felt bad for the guy because I'd had a similar problem which detracted awesomely from the awesomeness of this game; I signed up for this forum to help the guy out. This is my second post. I hope it helps, as I'm pretty sure it was in trolling the Matrixgames forum that I found a solution to this problem when it assailed me five years ago; and it would be nice to pay it forward.

EDIT: Replaced the almost right word with the right word - lightning for lightning bug [Mark Twain].

< Message edited by Libertate -- 1/20/2016 7:20:40 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/20/2016 4:01:23 AM   
BBfanboy

Thank you Libertate - the bit about switches affecting night phase when day runs fine is new info for me.
I will look into it.

(in reply to Libertate)
Post #: 17
RE: Night Moves Slow - 1/27/2016 1:44:21 PM   
stretch

I also had the slow performance during the night phase. Trying to ESC out of the "dreaded and fruitless Night Air Attacks" was even slow, with a 1 second delay between hitting the ESC key and it doing anything.

I added the -dd_sw switch to my shortcut. And it went away.

It also sped up performance noticeably across the board in all aspects of the game from UI to execution.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Night Moves Slow - 2/3/2016 11:25:55 AM   
HansBolter

Didn't pay much attention to this thread until I experienced it myself.

I'm not seeing lag in the night air or coast watcher phases.

I'm seeing serious lag closing combat animations and combat reports in the night phase.

In the day phase, clicking the 'done' button on combat animations and reports results in the 'box' disappearing instantaneously, or at least in the blink of an eye.

In the night phase there is at least a 1.5 second lag before the boxes close after clicking the done button.

Can't be the machine. I'm running on a new behemoth build that has a 4.7ghz processor with 8 cores and 32 gigs of ram.

I'll give the switch a try and report back.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 2/3/2016 12:31:47 PM >

Hans

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 19
RE: Night Moves Slow - 2/3/2016 12:33:09 PM   
Alpha77

Just you.

It runs all very fast (PC components I use are ca. 4-5 yr old, 2.0 ghz dual core, 4 GB Ram I believe, I have 2 other faster CPUs laying around but found they are not needed). But I optimize all kinds of settings in system and game, so this might explain lags in systems not optimized...

BTW: The above system looks to be to way to new and fast for such an old game (I mean the main code is old). Use the behemoth better for the new fancy 3D games. Use a more suited one for older games (just a general idea/hint). It may process things way to fast in old programs/games. Also use an OS which suits the game, for AE it is certainly Xp or 7.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 2/3/2016 1:41:06 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: Night Moves Slow - 2/3/2016 3:23:57 PM   
BillBrown

Hans, do you use a single core? I have the command line switch -cpu4 on my machine, it helped a number of problems.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 21
RE: Night Moves Slow - 2/3/2016 4:02:03 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Hans, do you use a single core? I have the command line switch -cpu4 on my machine, it helped a number of problems.

Using the single cpu orders switch but not any others associated with multi-cores.

Just built it recently and haven't finished tweaking it or my software.

I'll try additional cpu switches. Thanks for the suggestion.

And in answer to Alpha77, I'm running WIN7 pro on it.

Hans

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Night Moves Slow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI