Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of buying but have a quick question first

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> Thinking of buying but have a quick question first Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/14/2016 3:45:17 PM   
gwack

I really am serious about buying this-however there is one thing that is stopping me. In the screen shots and youtube videos it appears that on the map trees and bushes are growing right in the middle of roads and other strange places. Has this been cleaned up or does the program just place trees and bushes randomly and they wind up looking pretty silly. Such as growing in the middle of a road or the railroad cut. Is the code that sloppy in other areas of the game? I really would like to try this, but that is the only thing that is holding me back. Multiplayer looks like great fun. I know its kinda a little thing to many-but it spoils it for me to see an otherwise pretty well done map.
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/16/2016 1:20:44 AM   
gwack

Geeze guys, I just was asking if trees and bushes are still popping up in the roads, etc.-or if the current release doesn't have that problem. I was hoping someone would reply to a pretty simple question. The game looks very impressive. Can someone at least tell me if the multiplayer base is alive and well so a new guy would be able to have folks to play with and learn?

(in reply to gwack)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/16/2016 2:01:50 AM   
Zap

I'm interested in the game as well. But I think you need to ask at the SOW site. Not much action here.

(in reply to gwack)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/16/2016 3:16:47 PM   
gwack

Thanks for the reply and the tip. I will do that!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/17/2016 3:49:44 PM   
Ostwindflak

I played a scenario about a month ago and I did see some bushes in the middle of a road I was marching my corps along. Not sure about the MP scene, sorry.

I doubt there will be a patch anytime soon to fix errant shrubbery. It is still a good game though.

One major thing that always bugged me about this game that was fixed in SOW: Waterloo was the Army vs. Army battles. In SOW: Gettysburg the engine couldn't handle all the units fighting on the field at once, so some would stand around staring at each other. Not so in Waterloo which is nice.

This game is still worth the purchase though. I bought it a couple year ago after I couldn't get my old box copy of Take Command Second Manassas to run anymore and it lives up to that title if you ever played it.

(in reply to gwack)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/17/2016 6:08:10 PM   
zakblood

think it maybe my next game to get, as i liked Waterloo so may get the full pack with everything in this year

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of buying but have a quick question first - 1/19/2016 12:40:44 PM   
Ostwindflak

I think that is a splendid idea zakblood. I played a 2 hour sandbox game yesterday whilst holed up inside during a snow storm and it was a splendid battle.

I played on the Antietam map as the Union using the historical Antietam OOBs for Union and Confederate. I did an Army vs. Army battle and decided I only wanted to command a division in this battle, so I picked George Meade's 3rd Division.

My first orders were to move to the Major Objective and drive any Confederates out I might find there. It happened that my division, supported by the 1st Infantry Division, arrived at the farm house near a creek the same time the main body of the Confederate Army was arriving. A bloody skirmish took place with I think an infantry division from Georgia and ALL of JEB Stuarts cavalry (and I mean ALL).
Losses were heavy but we held the objective while more Union reinforcements were brought up. About an hour and half into the battle my division had suffered around 50% casualties and the Army commander gave my division orders to withdraw and act as a tactical reserve. (My men needed the rest badly by now anyway). The map ended about a half hour later with a Union Victory.

It was a touch and go fight at that objective, which changed hands a couple of times, but my division's delaying action played a vital role until more units could arrive.

So in short...BUY THE GAME.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 1/19/2016 1:41:46 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> Thinking of buying but have a quick question first Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI