Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategy games you highly recommend....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategy games you highly recommend.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 8:56:44 AM   
aaatoysandmore

That "don't" use dice? I'm looking for more skill based games than dice random luck games can be strategy or war. Which ones do you highly recommend?
Post #: 1
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 9:53:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

That "don't" use dice? I'm looking for more skill based games than dice random luck games can be strategy or war. Which ones do you highly recommend?

Not sure I am understanding your question. "Dice"? You're talking about PC games, right?

I only can recommend games that I like: operational that is. WitP AE, WitE, or the AGEOD series: humm, Rise of Prussia, Civil War II or the new 30 Years war.

In the end, there's always an abstract dice to decide who's won x battle BUT if you did your best (the operational side of things) you should be rewarded, if the game was well designed. Or punished if you were incompetent. And then there's of course random luck or bad luck.

IMHO opinion, you can achieve this with the games mentioned above. And certainly with many others which I don't know.

Cheers

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 10:00:41 PM   
Aurelian

Chess, Checkers, Go. No dice or any other random luck if you play person to person.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 10:42:06 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Yeah aurelian I know the basic ones was looking for more wargame like ones. I've found Conquest Medieval so far. Just looking for others I might not have.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 11:33:36 PM   
Rosseau

Playing Paradox March of the Eagles. My guess is you already jumped on a sale and have this game. If so, you know there's a whole page of combat resolution for every battle, and battles are what this game is about - more direct than the EU series.

Post #: 5
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 11:39:38 PM   
warspite1

Naked Twister?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 6
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/19/2016 11:46:03 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Naked Twister?

Coed Naked Twister!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 12:31:46 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Naked Twister?

Coed Naked Twister!

This.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 3:24:45 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Ok how is naked twister a wargame?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 4:38:00 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Maybe with a dominatrix?

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Post #: 10
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 4:57:15 AM   
LoungJu

Hello guys! Can you reccoment me a game like Blitzkrieg 3? I love it, but it is raw and I want something similar in terms of gameplay, but more accurate.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 11
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 4:59:21 AM   
LoungJu

Oh, and I, myself, can reccomend you a game called *Blitzkrieg 3*. It is light, but beautiful game by Nival corporation. What I do like about this game is design or battle units and historical accuracy.

(in reply to LoungJu)
Post #: 12
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 6:02:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Ok how is naked twister a wargame?
warpite1

You said 'strategy or war'. Naked Twister is the ultimate strategy game; trying to work out what goes where....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 13
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 6:33:06 AM   
waltero

Antike, Antika Duellum (Yucata), Imperial (brettspielwelt), Dune (Vassal).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 7:39:54 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoungJu

Oh, and I, myself, can reccomend you a game called *Blitzkrieg 3*. It is light, but beautiful game by Nival corporation. What I do like about this game is design or battle units and historical accuracy.

How are combat results resolved?

(in reply to LoungJu)
Post #: 15
RE: Strategy games you highly recommend.... - 1/20/2016 7:57:55 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I found this one called "Guardians of Graxia" have any of you played it? It has no dice and basically it's a guessing game of what damage card the opponent is going to play and whether it will take away damage from your attack or adding damage points to it. The ai is fairly strong in the beginning but gives way to a good human opponent in the end but it's a challnge getting there. In some games it has this one unit that can cancel a battle at any time during the battle process and make you waste a lot of cards. The only way to kill it is to surround it so it doesn't have a hex to escape to when it uses that perk. Very damaging unit I hate it when I see one appear on the map against me. Love it when I get one. haha I'm enjoying it at the moment and it's been a long time since that happened.

It's really not just a guessing game because all units have some sort of combat and defense value even before the battle starts. Some units get some modifiers when the battle is over and they advance one hex like the elephant, it has trample for -2 points to every adjacent unit. Some pretty good strategy to it. It will make you scream cheat sometimes because the ai gets so many good cards at first but as you clear the board you start getting more and more and it less and less sorta like RISK.

You summon your troops like a Magic the Gathering game. You get so much mana per turn based on the lands you have captured and hold. The ai starts out with more lands. You also get cards to use in combat that you can use as a spell or combat modifier before battle in melee or magic if you get the right cards or save for a sacrifice card and add to your combat or subtract from your opponents combat value.

I'd say it's a good marriage of RISK and Magic the Gathering and Etherlords. Etherlords because the units animate an aren't just cards on the table like MTG.

There seem to be 5 races or maybe a few more so the games don't become stale with the same units all the time. It has one random map that changes every game and many you pickem scenarios and a campaign of course.

Sadly no multiplayer and this game would be great if it had it. It might even surpass MTG in fun value if it had multiplayer.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategy games you highly recommend.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI