Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 4:42:18 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't have any Army fighters to downgrade to. You have to have a full compliment to downgrade. IE, to swap those 25 P-38Gs, I'd need 25 P-40Es or P-40Bs or P-400s or whatever. My pools are vacant.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4081
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 5:08:39 PM   
Lecivius

True, but if you have a restricted group of clunkers in the U.S. you could dump, you would then have a pool of clunkers to switch. And you may be able to just disband one or more of those groups & keep the planes.

Just brainstorming here. I have no idea what you actually have available to float around with. And you need to make sure any group you disband does not take their planes with them.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4082
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 5:14:25 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I don't have any Army fighters to downgrade to. You have to have a full compliment to downgrade. IE, to swap those 25 P-38Gs, I'd need 25 P-40Es or P-40Bs or P-400s or whatever. My pools are vacant.

I thought to manually upgrade you need only 1-2 planes. I have certainly done it with 2 planes. Big airfield with lots of supply and an air HQ doesn't hurt either.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4083
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 5:17:15 PM   
BillBrown

What I remember is if the air unit does not have a withdrawal date, then you can upgrade/downgrade with just 1 or 2 aircraft.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4084
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 5:38:18 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

What I remember is if the air unit does not have a withdrawal date, then you can upgrade/downgrade with just 1 or 2 aircraft.

Correct.

If the squadron has a withdrawal date the pool has to have a number equal to the full complement of the squadron for the upgrade to happen either manually or automatically.

If the squadron has no withdrawal date the automatic upgrade will still not happen until the pool has a number equal to the full compliment, but the player can manually force the upgrade with only one plane in the pool.

This is the mechanism that prevents the Allied player from moving the at start stateside restricted P38s into the pools with only a single airframe upgrade.

The only way to get those P38s into the pools is to sacrifice a full squadron's compliment of other airframe types.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 1/20/2016 6:43:59 PM >

Hans

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4085
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 6:02:47 PM   
Canoerebel

I hunted and pecked all around to see if I could find any squadrons that would allow me to do this....and did! I found a squadron of 25 P-39Ds that would accept an "upgrade" to one P-40B. I did that. Then I "upgraded" the P-38G squadron at Seattle to those P-39Ds and sent the P-38Gs to the pools...only, as best I can tell, only three aircraft made it.

Does it take time for aircraft to trickle into the pools under these circumstances?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4086
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 6:03:04 PM   
Canoerebel

P.S. Thanks for the helpful tips.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4087
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 6:04:23 PM   
Lowpe

Yep, it takes time for the P38s to make their way back to the pools. They will get there.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4088
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 6:15:10 PM   
ny59giants

For me, after I load the new game file, I first hit the "L" button for SigInt and then the "O" button for Allied Op report. Scroll down to the bottom next turn and you will see how many P-38s are now available from those 22 remaining. It will give you free intel on bases (AF and ports) Japan is expanding.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4089
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 6:18:30 PM   
BillBrown

In the aoperations.txt file you will see a line like this:

Delayed planes for the aircraft pool:
0 (1) x I-15-III, 4 (0) x Fulmar II, 1 (11) x Hudson III (LR)

Reading this says that
0 I-15-III were repaired and there is still one needing to be repaired.
4 Fulmar II were repaired and there are none to be repaired.'
etc.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4090
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 6:56:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Update

Scrounging: With the benefit of your input, I spent a good hour scrounging over the map to find squadrons that would cooperate in the "downgrade so that others can upgrade" program. I ended up with more success than I had expected. I've added those P-38Gs to the pool plus some P-38Fs and P-38Es. All will be most welcome.

I've already made some moves as a result. At Sabang there was one USAAF squadron still flying P-40Es. It was down to eight aircraft with none in the pools, but I've kept it in place because it has elite pilots and has performed well as part of the mix of fighters there. Now it's upgraded, trading those eight for seven P-38Gs that were in the pool (with others arriving soon, I expect).

There was also a squadron of five P-40Es at Calcutta (recently withdrawn from Sabang). It's now swapped those for the P-38E or F model (I forget which). It should be able to report for duty at Sabang in a few days, as soon as flight crews get those fighters operational.

I'm not dealing with huge numbers of fighters here, but I think these fighters will make important contributions to the key campaign of the war.

DEI: I'm still toying with what to do with those three USN DDs in the Java Sea. Each is lit up with 10/10 detection. These are Mahan class or less (each is worth 6 or 7 points). Destroyers are in very short supply. Prudence suggests I send them home to Australia at flank speed. And yet, I'm wondering about sending them somewhere a bit unexpected - like refueling at Bandjermasin and then loitering betwen there and Kuching. John will be configuring his forces to strike these interlopers, but he might not expect them there...and his consternation might be detectable when he finds them in his heartland. He'll have to expend energy and time protecting merchant shipping in the area - time he might otherwise devote to Sumatra. Ultimately, such a move will be a suicide mission for these destroyers. Is it worth it?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4091
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 7:08:46 PM   
witpqs

When looking over many squadrons in disparate places, there is an alternative to using the map. The 'a' hotkey calls up a list of all your air groups currently at ground bases. The 'n' hotkey calls up a list of all your air groups currently aboard ships (including groups operating aboard carriers). In both cases, I don't recall how groups currently at off-map bases or ships are handled, but for what you are doing these displays could be a great time saver in any event. Both displays have the usual complement of filters.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4092
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 7:58:48 PM   
Lecivius

Destroyers are about to start coming off the line in numbers you can line up & walk from P.H. to Tokyo. IMHO, using 3 to cause mischief & confusion is a cheap price. My 2c.

Now with some more modern fighter you can start getting a dive bonus on his sweeps. Since your fighting over your own territory, even though he can still out-produce you his pilot quality goes down. Yours goes up. Soon Hellcats & that gull winged critter are gonna show up & start making life hard on him. Working torps are gonna start making rather large dents in his precious toys. And we all know it's a big ocean, too big for him to protect

"By the twitching of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes"

I'm having a blast watching this play out. I am so glad you took this up again.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4093
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 8:11:26 PM   
Canoerebel

The Air Battle of Sabang has been intense, but it's played out thus far like you describe, Lecivius. Despite being outnumbered by Tojos, Allied losses were acceptable since I was fighting over my own base. My pilot losses were relatively low.

Corsairs have just become available in low quantites (30 per month) for Marine squadrons. My experienc in prior games is that this version of the Corsair doesn't perform very well. It hasn't been bloodied yet, so I'm anxious to see what happens.

The availability of the Hellcat beginning April 1 is what I'm really focusing on. I think that represents a potential turning point if I can nurse Sabang that long.

P.S. Thanks again for lots of helpful tips from many of you.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4094
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/20/2016 8:23:17 PM   
ny59giants

These kind of results have resulted in John flying very, very few offensive missions against me. Hope you can come close.

quote:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 13, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Cold Bay , at 174,48

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 40,550 feet. (actually at 33k)
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3b Zero x 44
A6M5 Zero x 8

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3b Zero: 11 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38G Lightning: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
Sapporo Ku S-2 with A6M3b Zero (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 15 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 9 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
Kanoya-2 Ku S-1 with A6M3b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 16 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
Nagasaki-3 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 8 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4095
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 2:39:06 AM   
Canoerebel

02/10/43

One of the settlers, a red-faced man with a nervous eye, spat a wad of tobacco and said, "We sure skeered them away!"

Clint looked at the dust cloud on the distant horizon, the last telltale of the band of Commanchee that had attacked the circled wagons that morning. He thought a minute while he rubbed his jaw. "That was too easy. They were just feeling us out. They'll be back. Lots of 'em."

Battle of Sumatra: After 17 days of quiet, John's Tojos returned to Sabang. About 160 of them in four waves. I had expected the first attack to be overwhelming numbers and combined arms - fighters, bombers, ships, anything and everything. The newly-augmented Allied fighter corps performed well. On the day, Japan lost 44 aircraft a-2-a and 10 to ops. The Allies lost 9 a-2-a and 4 ops. Of the Tojos, 43 went down (40 a-2-a, 2 ops). The Allied losses were light: 5 F4F (2 a-2-a, 3 ops), 3 P-39D (all of them a-2-a) and a few singletons, including one P-38G.

This is a good outcome for the Allies. If John was feeling out the defenses, he might have come away downcast. I'll be interested in seeing whether he comes back tomorrow and, if so, in what kind of numbers. If he stands down for some time (hurrah for down time!), I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't try to come up with a new approach. I keep looking at Langsa and thinking, "That's where the trouble's going to come."

A massive Japanese bombardment (five BBs including Yamato, Kirishima, Hiei, Kongo and Haruna) hit Phuket. No CAs came along - an indication of the state of John's cruiser corps, I hope. This base will fall tomorrow, I think.

More merchants arrived at Sabang overnight. The sea lanes between there and Ceylon have been relatively open the past week. I'm wondering if John has removed the concentration of subs and sent them hunting carriers where he might've gotten a whiff of them a few days back. No sign of the KB. As long as it isn't blockading those sea lanes, I'll continue to make the risky supply runs. Sabang has 270k supply at the moment.

Raiders: Two of my raiding DDs exited the Java Sea and made a big leap towards Oz. I think they are out of danger. The third, DD Case, refueled at Banjermasin and took station between that port and Kuching. John's navsearch painted a good picture of her (10/10) but no enemy strike aircraft sortied. Now John ha to wonder where this ship might go (and where they others are). He'll have to protect his nearby merchants or send them into port. I think he'll have to allocate some strike aircraft. I'm turning around and sending Case into the Makassar Straits. It's probably a ride to destruction, but we'll see. She has enough fuel to make Midway.

Hong Kong: The 4EB at Chungking declined to fly today, but recon showed 14 fighters over the base with six ships. No indication of capital ships.

SWPac: Recon shows 50+ fighters at Port Moresby.

Today was a good day. But did it buy more time for Sabang?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/21/2016 3:41:33 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4096
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 3:56:00 PM   
Canoerebel

2/11/43

Gun smoke lingered above the wagons, like morning fog slow to dissipate. Its acrid smell filled Clint's nostrils as he surveyed the circled wagons. The settlers weren't smiling any more. They weren't laughing, as they had been laughing yesterday morning after they drove away that Comanchee war party. They had driven away another this morning - a larger, more tenacious band - but this time there had been wounds suffered. And yet, the settlers had resolutely stood against the attack, inflicting more harm than they had suffered. They had been bloodied in battle and now showed a sober stillness in the place of yesterday's giddiness. And now they understood the important questions. Just how many Comanchees were there? How many casualties were they willing to take? Most importantly of all, how long would they keep coming?

Battle of Sumatra: The air war dominates this discussion, but first I'll post a few other important items. One of John's subs sank CL Boise near Ceylon (this poor ship spent most of her existence in drydock). Also, after another BB bombardment (Hiei and Nagato unaccompanied by CAs), Phuket falls to most of 48th Division. That's a huge commitment, showing just how much John wanted the base ("What can you do against such reckless hate?"). The cordon tightens. The Allies have just one island base besides those on Sumatra, and it will fall soon.

But it's the air war that's critical now. I'm going to post excerpts from the Combat Report in awhile. I want to give you readers information and ask a few questions about optimally configuring my fighter squadrons. The Allies came out ahead today, but not decisively so. The loss ratio is probably sustainable, but it's right on the threshhold - tilt it a bit one way, and the Allies might be in big trouble. Tilt it the other way, and we're looking at a protacted effort for John to prevail in the air. And "protraction" is the pathway to victory, which is defined as holding Sabang in good enough condition to permit Hellcats to come to its rescue in April.

The Japanese swept Sabang in large numbers again - 123 Tojos in the morning phase and 71 Tonys in the afternoon. The Tonys seemed to perform better, though the numbers suggest perhaps not. Of those 194 fighters, 26 Tojos were downed (23 a2a) and 20 Tonys (19 a2a). The Allies lost 30 a2a (10 F4F, 10 P40K, 4 P39D, and a scattering of others) plus 9 Ops (4 F4F, 1 P40K, 1 P39D).

So 46 of the best Japanese fighters compared to 31 of the best Allied fighters (that number includes one P38G knocked down). John lost 20 of 71 Tonys (28%) and 26 of 123 Tojos (21%). Five Allied pilots were KIA, 13 WIA, and 3 MIA. Casualty numbers should favor the Allies since I'm fighting over my own base.

Allied losses were considerably less as percentages, but 14 F4Fs and 11 P40Ks is a sobering number and much worse than yesterday's results.

Combining the two days, John has lost 69 Tojos and 20 Tonys. I've lost 19 F4F, 12 P40K, 8 P39D, 2 P38G, and a scattering of others. Aircraft like the P40Es (Chinese and Dutch squadrons) and Buffaloes are doing well. And the Corsairs haven't been touched yet, I think.

John is flying his tonys at 33k and his Tojos at altitudes ranging from 27k to 32k. I have my fighters at various heights - P38Gs at 39k, Corsairs at 35k, P40Ks from 25k to 30k, F4Fs mostly in the mid to upper 20k range, P40E at 15k to 20k, Buffaloes around 15k, P39Ds at 10k, and Beaufighters at 5k. I'll post some questions about altitude later.

In his email, John wrote "FURBALL!!" This is a common comment by him when he is enthusiastic about an air battle (hence it always serves as a bit of a spoiler and also tells me something about his morale). So I think he liked today's results. The Tony performed well. I think he'll come back tomorrow. If he gets a bloody nose, he'll probably have to stand down. If he does well again, he might try to pour it on (sending in A6M5s, bombardment ships, whatever). So I'm looking for any tweaks to maximize the ability of my fighters to fight.

The 2nd P38G squadron isn't flying yet, nor is the P38E group at Calcutta nor is a fresh NZ KittyhawkIII group at Colombo. It's taking awhile to get their aircraft operational. But in about three or four days I should be able to feed them into the fray.

DEI: DD Case is up near Balikpapan. Kates from somewhere nearby flew against her but missed. Case's AA even downed a Kate or two. I'm not sure yet whether Case will take flight for Oz or continue steaming north in the Philippine Sea on a course for Midway, trying to sew consternation wherever she goes.

China: The Chungking B24s hit Hong Kong again, scoring one hit on BB Ise and finding about 15 Oscars on CAP. That John didn't seriously bolster his CAP suggests that his carriers aren't here.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4097
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:02:14 PM   
Canoerebel

Here are combat excerpts from the morning-phase Tojo sweeps of Sabang (plus one Tojo-escorted raid on Langsa):

Morning Air attack on Sabang , at 44,70

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 19 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 40

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 11
Beaufighter VIc x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 13
P-38G Lightning x 18
P-39D Airacobra x 33
P-40K Warhawk x 75
F2A-3 Buffalo x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 104
F4U-1 Corsair x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 27000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 25000 and 28300.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
VF-3 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 16 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 28300.
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 19 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
VF-6 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 28300.
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28300 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 28000.
VRF-3F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28300 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 28300.
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 28300.
3rd FG/8th FS CAF with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 22000 and 27000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
VMF-213 with F2A-3 Buffalo (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 31000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 35000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 18 minutes
1-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters to 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
No.27 Sqn RAF with Beaufighter VIc (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000
No.177 Sqn RAF with Beaufighter VIc (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 5000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 11 minutes
49th FG/9th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 39000.
35th FG/39th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 28000.
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 19000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
23rd FG/74th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 30000 and 32100.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raid detected at 45 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 19

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 11
Beaufighter VIc x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 13
P-38G Lightning x 18
P-39D Airacobra x 33
P-40K Warhawk x 70
F2A-3 Buffalo x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 98
F4U-1 Corsair x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 5 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 33000.
VF-3 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters to 28300.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 40 minutes
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 15 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 30000.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 31000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28300 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 28000.
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 28000.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 29000.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 31000.
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 35000.
1-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 30000.
No.27 Sqn RAF with Beaufighter VIc (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 24000.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 27000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
49th FG/9th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 22000 and 27000.
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 24000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
10 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 33000.
35th FG/39th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 28000.
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes
23rd FG/74th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 29470 and 31000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes

Raid detected at 15 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 17

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 11
Beaufighter VIc x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 13
P-38G Lightning x 18
P-39D Airacobra x 31
P-40K Warhawk x 67
F2A-3 Buffalo x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 92
F4U-1 Corsair x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter VIc: 1 destroyed
P-38G Lightning: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 33000.
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 28300.
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 2 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 29000.
VF-6 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 3 scrambling)
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (2 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters to 34000.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 27000.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 29000.
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 28000.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 29000.
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 28000.
No.27 Sqn RAF with Beaufighter VIc (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 29000.
49th FG/9th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 6 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 28000.
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 32100.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 30000 and 33000.
35th FG/39th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 8 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters to 28000.
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 29470 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes

Morning Air attack on Langsa , at 46,74

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 23

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 29000 feet

Raid detected at 13 NM, estimated altitude 29,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 30

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 11
Beaufighter VIc x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 13
P-38G Lightning x 16
P-39D Airacobra x 27
P-40K Warhawk x 64
F2A-3 Buffalo x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 84
F4U-1 Corsair x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 27000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 25000 and 33000.
10 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters between 27500 and 38000.
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (3 airborne, 7 on standby, 2 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
VF-6 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 3 scrambling)
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 42 minutes
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (1 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 34000.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 29000.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 6 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 40000.
1-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters to 37000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 43 minutes
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 28000.
No.27 Sqn RAF with Beaufighter VIc (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Raid is overhead
49th FG/9th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 6 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 29000.
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (6 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 24000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 4 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 31000.
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 29000.
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 31000.

Raid detected at 16 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 17

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 11
Beaufighter VIc x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 12
P-38G Lightning x 15
P-39D Airacobra x 18
P-40K Warhawk x 56
F2A-3 Buffalo x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 77
F4U-1 Corsair x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 28300 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 23 minutes
VF-3 with F4F-4 Wildcat (5 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters between 27500 and 38000.
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (4 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 28300.
VF-6 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 1 on standby, 3 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 8 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28300 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 43 minutes
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28300 , scrambling fighters between 24000 and 27000.
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 28300.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 40 minutes
VMF-213 with F2A-3 Buffalo (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 34250.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 47 minutes
1-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters to 37000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 29000.
No.27 Sqn RAF with Beaufighter VIc (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 27000.
Raid is overhead
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 26000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 31000.
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 4 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 31000.
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 31000.
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 29000.
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 28370 and 31000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
23rd FG/75th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4098
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:04:03 PM   
Canoerebel

Afternoon-phase Tony sweeps vs. Sabang:

Afternoon Air attack on Sabang , at 44,70

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 36,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-61-Ia Tony x 29

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 11
Beaufighter VIc x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 11
P-38G Lightning x 16
P-39D Airacobra x 26
P-40K Warhawk x 63
F2A-3 Buffalo x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 90
F4U-1 Corsair x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-61-Ia Tony: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 2 destroyed
F2A-3 Buffalo: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Ki-61-Ia Tony sweeping at 32000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 25000.
VF-3 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 15 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 28300.
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 16 on standby, 0 scrambling)
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28300
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters to 28300.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 30000.
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 36800.
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes
49th FG/9th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 24000 and 29000.
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 31000 and 32100.
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 35000 and 39000.
35th FG/39th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
23rd FG/74th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 25000 and 32100.
23rd FG/75th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 0 scrambling)

Afternoon Air attack on Sabang , at 44,70

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-61-Ia Tony x 42

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 9
Beaufighter VIc x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 11
P-38G Lightning x 16
P-39D Airacobra x 22
P-40K Warhawk x 55
F2A-3 Buffalo x 10
F4F-4 Wildcat x 81
F4U-1 Corsair x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-61-Ia Tony: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 2 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-61-Ia Tony sweeping at 32000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
VF-3 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 1 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 27500 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 28300.
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 2 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 25000 and 31000.
VF-6 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 35000.
VRF-3F with F4F-4 Wildcat (1 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28300 , scrambling fighters to 28000.
VRF-16F with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 28000 , scrambling fighters between 28000 and 28300.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 42 minutes
3rd FG/8th FS CAF with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 2 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 35000.
VMF-213 with F2A-3 Buffalo (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 30000 and 33000.
VMF-214 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 2 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 35000 , scrambling fighters between 31000 and 36000.
2-VI.G.V with P-40E Warhawk (1 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
49th FG/9th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 52 minutes
51st FG/26th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 11 on standby, 3 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 32100.
8th FG/36th FS with P-38G Lightning (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 39000 , scrambling fighters between 35000 and 37000.
35th FG/39th FS with P-40K Warhawk (4 airborne, 8 on standby, 3 scrambling)
35th FG/40th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 1 on standby, 3 scrambling)
23rd FG/74th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 31000 and 32100.
23rd FG/75th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 3 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 29000.
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 28300

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4099
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:12:53 PM   
Canoerebel

A few questions about configuring fighter defense for Sabang:

1. Japanese fighters are sweeping at altitudes from 27k to 33k. This is just above most of my F4Fs and P40Ks. I think the ceiling for the F4Fs is in the upper 20s (I'll have to double check). Should I drop them lower, to 20k or perhaps spread from 15k to 25k?

2. Same question re: P40Ks.

3. Should I adjust the P38Gs (currently at 39k) down a bit to come in just a bit higher than those enemy sweeps, or does max altitude serve best?

4. Most of my squadrons are set at 90% CAP, range 0. These settings seem to work well (fatigue remains modest, lots of planes in the air). Any reason to adjust these numbers? Are there other settings that offer benefits?

5. After several sweeps, my fighters seem to be out of ammo or out of position so that the following sweeps are met with less vigor and those rounds end with more enemy fighters "getting through." IE, the first sweep might have 30 Tojos. The CAP engages it and downs or damages most of the planes and drives the rest off. By the fourth sweep of, say, 20 Tojos, the CAP engages a few, but 15 are still coming in at the end of the combat. This worries me, because if John combines massive sweeps (Tojos, Tonys) with large strikes escorted by A6M5s, I might not have anything left to contest the bombers. There might not be anything I can do about that short of finding 400 fighters somewhere, but any thoughts?

There is probably one thing that keeps John honest in this regard: fear that his strikes might precede his sweeps, resulting in high losses to strike aircraft.

Man, there's alot to worry about! This is one tough campaign.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/21/2016 5:15:57 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4100
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:19:41 PM   
Canoerebel

2/11/43 (posted again as the first one may "get lost" amidst the clutter of the combat report quotes up above)

Gun smoke lingered above the wagons, like morning fog slow to dissipate. Its acrid smell filled Clint's nostrils as he surveyed the circled wagons. The settlers weren't smiling any more. They weren't laughing, as they had been laughing yesterday morning after they drove away that Comanchee war party. They had driven away another this morning - a larger, more tenacious band - but this time there had been wounds suffered. And yet, the settlers had resolutely stood against the attack, inflicting more harm than they had suffered. They had been bloodied in battle and now showed a sober stillness in the place of yesterday's giddiness. And now they understood the important questions. Just how many Comanchees were there? How many casualties were they willing to take? Most importantly of all, how long would they keep coming?

Battle of Sumatra: The air war dominates this discussion, but first I'll post a few other important items. One of John's subs sank CL Boise near Ceylon (this poor ship spent most of her existence in drydock). Also, after another BB bombardment (Hiei and Nagato unaccompanied by CAs), Phuket falls to most of 48th Division. That's a huge commitment, showing just how much John wanted the base ("What can you do against such reckless hate?"). The cordon tightens. The Allies have just one island base besides those on Sumatra, and it will fall soon.

On the plus side, more merchants came in with supply, which stands now at 275k with another 22k unloading.

But it's the air war that's critical now. I'm going to post excerpts from the Combat Report in awhile. I want to give you readers information and ask a few questions about optimally configuring my fighter squadrons. The Allies came out ahead today, but not decisively so. The loss ratio is probably sustainable, but it's right on the threshhold - tilt it a bit one way, and the Allies might be in big trouble. Tilt it the other way, and we're looking at a protacted effort for John to prevail in the air. And "protraction" is the pathway to victory, which is defined as holding Sabang in good enough condition to permit Hellcats to come to its rescue in April.

The Japanese swept Sabang in large numbers again - 123 Tojos in the morning phase and 71 Tonys in the afternoon. The Tonys seemed to perform better, though the numbers suggest perhaps not. Of those 194 fighters, 26 Tojos were downed (23 a2a) and 20 Tonys (19 a2a). The Allies lost 30 a2a (10 F4F, 10 P40K, 4 P39D, and a scattering of others) plus 9 Ops (4 F4F, 1 P40K, 1 P39D).

So 46 of the best Japanese fighters compared to 31 of the best Allied fighters (that number includes one P38G knocked down). John lost 20 of 71 Tonys (28%) and 26 of 123 Tojos (21%). Five Allied pilots were KIA, 13 WIA, and 3 MIA. Casualty numbers should favor the Allies since I'm fighting over my own base.

Allied losses were considerably less as percentages, but 14 F4Fs and 11 P40Ks is a sobering number and much worse than yesterday's results.

Combining the two days, John has lost 69 Tojos and 20 Tonys. I've lost 19 F4F, 12 P40K, 8 P39D, 2 P38G, and a scattering of others. Aircraft like the P40Es (Chinese and Dutch squadrons) and Buffaloes are doing well. And the Corsairs haven't been touched yet, I think.

John is flying his tonys at 33k and his Tojos at altitudes ranging from 27k to 32k. I have my fighters at various heights - P38Gs at 39k, Corsairs at 35k, P40Ks from 25k to 30k, F4Fs mostly in the mid to upper 20k range, P40E at 15k to 20k, Buffaloes around 15k, P39Ds at 10k, and Beaufighters at 5k. I'll post some questions about altitude later.

In his email, John wrote "FURBALL!!" This is a common comment by him when he is enthusiastic about an air battle (hence it always serves as a bit of a spoiler and also tells me something about his morale). So I think he liked today's results. The Tony performed well. I think he'll come back tomorrow. If he gets a bloody nose, he'll probably have to stand down. If he does well again, he might try to pour it on (sending in A6M5s, bombardment ships, whatever). So I'm looking for any tweaks to maximize the ability of my fighters to fight.

The 2nd P38G squadron isn't flying yet, nor is the P38E group at Calcutta nor is a fresh NZ KittyhawkIII group at Colombo. It's taking awhile to get their aircraft operational. But in about three or four days I should be able to feed them into the fray.

DEI: DD Case is up near Balikpapan. Kates from somewhere nearby flew against her but missed. Case's AA even downed a Kate or two. I'm not sure yet whether Case will take flight for Oz or continue steaming north in the Philippine Sea on a course for Midway, trying to sew consternation wherever she goes.

China: The Chungking B24s hit Hong Kong again, scoring one hit on BB Ise and finding about 15 Oscars on CAP. That John didn't seriously bolster his CAP suggests that his carriers aren't here.

Battle of Burma: IJ bombers are now targeting Ramree Island, which is undefended at the moment. But AA does a fine job, downing more than 20 Helen, Lily, Sally, etc.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/21/2016 5:23:38 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4101
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:20:51 PM   
richlove

Those estimated times to target are very small. Do you have radar sets in your LCUs at Sabang?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4102
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:34:17 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes. Sabang has three base forces (two USAAF and one USN) that each have two CPS-1 radar.

Over at Langsa, I have a USAAF BF with two SCR270 radar and another with 2 CPS-1.

Is the SCR270 any better than the CPS-1? IE, would it behoove me to move that BF from Langsa to Sabang?

(in reply to richlove)
Post #: 4103
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:43:30 PM   
Lecivius

I have to agree. You seem to have been caught with a lot of interceptors on 'standby".

Also, is he just sweeping? He is "strato-sweepng" so he is getting a serious dive bonus on your older air frames. It may be a thought to stand down a day and let him sweep blue sky. You take a risk he could also bring bombers, but you save air frames, and force a delay. Something to ponder on.

(in reply to richlove)
Post #: 4104
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:47:45 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Lecivius. That's one of the strategies I've been considering (I posted about it a few pages back).

My plan has been to stand down the Wildcats and P40Ks after a few days of tough combat, leaving the P39Ds and Beauforts at 5k and the Corsairs (35K) and P38Gs (39K) as bookends to provide some protection. What do you think of that?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4105
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:48:43 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I have to agree. You seem to have been caught with a lot of interceptors on 'standby"...

Am I doing anything wrong that you can see? Should I be doing anything differently to mimize "standby"? Does my CAP percentage (90%) enter into this?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4106
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:49:31 PM   
BBfanboy

I am by no means well schooled in air war tactics, but from what I have seen 90% CAP is good for handling one or two raids before they run out of fuel and ammo and have to land to replenish. During this time only 10% (minus the ones with mechanical problems) of your planes are available to try intercept raids.

Numbers are important in A-A combat, so the pattern or the raids is important in deciding whether to put your max numbers in the air to get the best mass against a couple of raids or whether you should hold your cap at something like 50% so you have a reserve to at least give raids a hard time throughout the day.

If John sees your cap numbers declining with more numerous raids he may start throwing his bombers at you to try and close the AF.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4107
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 4:52:30 PM   
Canoerebel

That's helpful. I wasn't aware that it worked that way. Thanks, BB.

Keep posting Gents. I have several hours before I have to send the turn back to John, so I want to fine tune things.

The two options out there that you've suggested thus far:

1. Stand down older frames (Wildcats, F4Fs) for a turn.
2. Change CAP setting to perhaps 50% to see if that handles things better given the number of raids each turn.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4108
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 5:00:41 PM   
ny59giants

Your altitude settings are fine by me. I would not have that high a percentage for CAP. Likely, I would go with 40 or 50% CAP and 10% Rest. If you look at the "Planes" in some of your air groups, their fatigue levels might be getting too high and will result in more op losses.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4109
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/21/2016 5:00:50 PM   
BBfanboy

I didn't comment on the fighter altitude question, so here is my wild-a$$ guess:
- if a fighter cannot have the dive advantage keep it at the highest altitude where it is still getting the best maneuver rating. You can't do much about a higher enemy diving on you but once that is over the maneuver part starts and with their better durability the allied A/C should be able to hold their own.

As you have been saying, better performing allied AC are being built and will change things considerably. I have some Spitfire V 's in Australia since late 1942 (stock scenario 1). I don't know how good they are in comparison to Tojos but I think they could help you if they are in your mix.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4110
Page:   <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI