Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Farwell

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Farwell Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 11:06:53 AM   
MrRoadrunner

Scale is the scale. What a scenario designer does with it is his or her own choice?
Units move and shoot specifically based on the scale. Players then can decide which scenarios they wish to play or not based on their play experience?

However to anyone who wants to nit pick individual scenario time frames, the game is still 250 meters per hex and 6 minutes per turn. As Huib stated it is up to the scenario designer to try to stretch and sell his or her time frame.
Where the "team" goes wrong is by putting into the game system the things that do not work within the scale. Where Huib goes wrong is stating that the new manual can change the scale? It cannot. The "team" can take the words out of the manual but they cannot take the parameters of how units move and shoot, in both distance and time.
The scale is etched in stone until they bend and/or break it so much as to be unrecognizable within the game itself?
No matter what the "team" says it is only what the "team" does that will destroy the game.

Scale is scale. Anyone who does not see that should run the development team.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 31
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 11:28:51 AM   
Huib

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

Scale is the scale. What a scenario designer does with it is his or her own choice?
Units move and shoot specifically based on the scale. Players then can decide which scenarios they wish to play or not based on their play experience?

However to anyone who wants to nit pick individual scenario time frames, the game is still 250 meters per hex and 6 minutes per turn. As Huib stated it is up to the scenario designer to try to stretch and sell his or her time frame.
Where the "team" goes wrong is by putting into the game system the things that do not work within the scale. Where Huib goes wrong is stating that the new manual can change the scale? It cannot. The "team" can take the words out of the manual but they cannot take the parameters of how units move and shoot, in both distance and time.
The scale is etched in stone until they bend and/or break it so much as to be unrecognizable within the game itself?
No matter what the "team" says it is only what the "team" does that will destroy the game.

RR

The scale is that it is a company based game with 250 m hexes whereas Panzer Campaigns for example is batallion based with 1 km hexes.
It seems that you did not (want to) see the rest I wrote about the difference between real time and turn based wargames when it comes to the representation of time spans (or time scale if you wish to call it that way).
Jason already showed that no actual scenarios exist on what you refer to as what you believe is the fixed time "scale".

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 32
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 11:54:42 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Talonsoft too, apparently, as shown above.

Post #: 33
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 2:21:08 PM   
KEYSTONE0795

I remember reading about the scale "problem" with the Campaign Series right after it's original Talonsoft release. People were screaming that in a six minute turn, infantry perform super human feats and that with a 250 meter scale, infantry should not be able to assault an adjacent hex. Many years later, we're all still playing and enjoying the system.
That fact speaks to the soundness of the basic design. Just my 2 cents.

< Message edited by KEYSTONE0795 -- 2/4/2016 3:31:15 PM >

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 34
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 2:32:44 PM   
Jason Petho

That's the point.

With the modified time frame that every designer designs for, regardless if it 6 minutes in the rules or 30 minutes in practice, they have the tools that help them with their designs to make the game fun and enjoyable.

(in reply to KEYSTONE0795)
Post #: 35
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 10:02:20 PM   
MrRoadrunner

But, scale is still scale.

250m per hex?
All fire is based on the scale, correct or not?
A tank that can shoot six hexes distance would fire twice as far if the hexes were 125m or half as far if the hexes are based on 500m?
Same with infantry and all other fire?

Movement is based the same way. Speed is time plus distance. A unit moving can reach a distance based on movement through hexes and terrain effects. If the scale was 125m the units can move twice as many hexes and half the hexes if the hex was 500m.

To Herr Huib; I stopped reading when you made snide comments regarding Mike's scenarios (which I find equally as good as many of yours). And, for the fact that we have had these discussions for years. So I am sure that I have not missed a single "gem" you wrote?
Squad Battles is tactical and based on "squads" and individual vehicles. JTCS is based on platoons and is tactical/grand tactical. The next level is operational? Further up would be strategic?

It's quite simple? It is how all games are made, from miniatures, board, and computer. Scale is the foundation. And, IIRC, your map design tutorials are very specific when trying to "scale" the map in to hexes?
Or do we just fudge the maps?
Huib will have a heart attack if a tree or town is out of place? But, don't worry, what the scenario the designer had in mind covered several days so it does not fit the scale?
As long as it is based on 250m hexes all is good. As long as units move and fire in scale all is good.

Jason.
Hogwash!
Your thinking, and that of the development team, is how we get the out of scale units. Engineers which could do remarkable feats in six minutes (or in real life, hours for that matter).
Air planes that can hover over the map and not use a single movement point? And, I am not talking about the silly air bases. I'm talking about the planes that can do things on map (controlled by the players) that defy gravity (but then again gravity is a concept that you do not have to put into time and distance?).
Not to mention the naval units and how they work?
To Keystone0795's point, creating more arguments even now? And, not learning from past mistakes (sure miss the Talonsoft forums).

All these in because of what? Realism? Simulation?
How about keeping the abstract ... abstract? That was the original intent?
Or, put them in and have them operate to scale?

How about keeping "in scale" when adding all the new kewl things?

Neither of you will ever convince me (nor will smug condescension stop me) from knowing what the game's scale is.

As Keystone0795 stated, the game has stood the test of time. And, hell, that was after being unsupported, messed with, changing hands multiple times, and with some of the out of scale stuff you guys put in.

I could care less if your list of "out of scale" scenarios was ten times longer. The intent of the scenario designer did not change the scale of the game. Nor was the game effected by their designs. Where out of scale comes into play is with the "team" so willing to throw scale out to fit in all the new kewl things.
Not a single scenario has effected game scale. Even a Picasso designed scenario would not effect game scale. Your willingness to bring up scenarios as an argument for different scale is specious at best.

Where "you" deeply impact the game's scale is in adding new units. Hopefully all new units are seen through (and run through the filter of) the measure of 250m hexes and six minute time frames?
Otherwise "we" are "doomed".

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Post #: 36
RE: Farwell - 2/4/2016 11:51:13 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

But, scale is still scale.

250m per hex?
All fire is based on the scale, correct or not?
A tank that can shoot six hexes distance would fire twice as far if the hexes were 125m or half as far if the hexes are based on 500m?
Same with infantry and all other fire?

Map scale has never been in question. It's 250 metres per hex.

quote:

Your thinking, and that of the development team, is how we get the out of scale units. Engineers which could do remarkable feats in six minutes (or in real life, hours for that matter).

Can engineers build a light bridge across a hexside river? You bet they could. There are Army Manuals out there that can shed some light on how long these tasks take. I highly recommend taking a gander.

Can engineers lay a level 1 minefield? You bet. Read said manuals above to figure out how long it takes.

Can engineers build trenches? You bet... again, read said manuals.

Can engineers remove minefields? You bet and you can determine how long it takes to do so with said manuals.

Can engineer vehicles remove wrecks? You bet...!

Can Bridging Vehicles lay vehicle bridges? You bet...!

quote:

Not to mention the naval units and how they work?

Naval units work like water bound/mobile artillery units. You know, like those that would participate in a naval bombardment. Very handy if your map doesn't allow the use of off-board artillery. Sevastopol harbour is a prime example for their use.

I also presume you read the manual:

quote:

Design considerations for naval units:
 The Strength Point value of the combat-capable naval forces is based on the number of primary guns it has. The unit will be deemed out of action if it has no guns left to fire; it may not be sunk, it just may be put out of action by excessive damage.
 Most of the surface ships can fire indirectly, allowing them to perform some form of naval support. The larger the ship, the more effective at suppressing a hex it will be.
 None of the naval units have an Assault Value. If they are going to engage in combat against one another, they will have to shoot it out to see who the victor is.
 Scenario design considerations of naval units:
These are best to be included as support unit to a shore based battle, or supporting an amphibious invasion.

quote:

Neither of you will ever convince me (nor will smug condescension stop me) from knowing what the game's scale is.

Who's trying to convince you? You have an opinion, I have an opinion .. and they differ. So be it.

quote:

As Keystone0795 stated, the game has stood the test of time. And, hell, that was after being unsupported, messed with, changing hands multiple times, and with some of the out of scale stuff you guys put in.

Yay for having the freedom to do it! And continuing to do it.

quote:

I could care less if your list of "out of scale" scenarios was ten times longer. The intent of the scenario designer did not change the scale of the game. Nor was the game effected by their designs. Where out of scale comes into play is with the "team" so willing to throw scale out to fit in all the new kewl things.
Not a single scenario has effected game scale. Even a Picasso designed scenario would not effect game scale. Your willingness to bring up scenarios as an argument for different scale is specious at best.

Every scenario has not impacted map scale. Most maps are made at 250m hexes. There are the odd handful that isn't, Rising Sun has a few.

Every scenario has impacted time scale, every designer choosing to design within their own perceived time scale. From the original East Front all the way to the current JTCS.

So yes, by adding new units and capabilities that fit designers varying time scale to enhance their designs, we encourage the longevity of the series and imaginations of our customers.

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 2/5/2016 1:05:15 AM >

Post #: 37
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 12:52:40 AM   
Warhorse

Well, hate to say it, but the 3d graphics are way out of scale, Jason, damn, now I gotta reduce them all to 1x1 pixel graphics, my apologies....

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 38
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 10:56:55 AM   
Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Well, hate to say it, but the 3d graphics are way out of scale, Jason, damn, now I gotta reduce them all to 1x1 pixel graphics, my apologies....

LOL

No, please. We´ll have to use a telescope to play CSME.

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 39
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 11:10:37 AM   
Crossroads

Ha, good one Mike

Yep, 3D Normal View is 200 pixels wide, which, depicting 250 meters, means 1px = 1.25. Very difficult to have all the details in... That will significantly reduce our effort on new 3D graphics though!

Here's the German Rifle Platoon'39 in their Feldgrau uniform: .

Here, then, is the German SS Rifle Platoon '43 in their Camo: .

Maybe that shoud suffice for many other units too?

We are after all, it seems, giving up 3D to concentrate on 2D with vs-AI only play. I was not aware of this, but alas: I found it in the internet, so it must be true.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 40
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 11:22:33 AM   
Jafele

I also love realism, but isn´t it a game?

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 41
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 1:03:35 PM   
Deepstuff3725

And I've always considered updates, new features, and "kewl" things to be good things. What was I thinking?

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 42
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 2:24:17 PM   
KEYSTONE0795

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

I also love realism, but isn´t it a game?

That's why I love the Campaign Series. It is a great game with a basis in reality, not a detailed simulation of reality which would be both boring and frightening! Also, this is to me and many others the computer version of
Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. What could be better than that!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 43
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 4:08:00 PM   
Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: KEYSTONE0795

That's why I love the Campaign Series. It is a great game with a basis in reality, not a detailed simulation of reality which would be both boring and frightening! Also, this is to me and many others the computer version of
Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. What could be better than that!

Certainly that´s the spirit of the Campaign Series and the people who love it.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to KEYSTONE0795)
Post #: 44
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 6:17:09 PM   
MrRoadrunner

You all can titter away. Or, stuff it. Makes no difference to me.

I did not say that new features were bad. That is your problem, not mine.

As Jason wrote: "Who's trying to convince you? You have an opinion, I have an opinion .. and they differ. So be it."
Yup, the keys to kingdom are in your hands.

The problem with this is that smug and condescending will never convince anyone. Like removing scale from the manual and saying it does no longer mean anything. Right? Then, "Hey, read the manual and find my excuses for how things work". A light bridge in six minutes. Just cut down a tree? Yup, cut down a tree in six minutes. Hope your stream/river is not wider than that tree?

Hey, come back when you grow up "fanboys".

And, to Mike. Don't go down the smug road. It really is not you.
Scale and the graphics are not an issue for me. It is playable. But, if you want to waste the time to comment on and/or change the graphics to piss off the fanboys feel free. That's your life.

RR

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 45
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 6:54:54 PM   
kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Really Mike?

I helped you play test several of your Korean mod H2H scenarios. I also helped you recruit other players for testing. Remember how angry and frustrated you were when folks did not respond promptly to your recruiting threads? I also was there to promptly assist you with some other H2H Section issues.

I really thought you were better then this type of response?

< Message edited by Kool Kat -- 2/5/2016 8:00:23 PM >

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 46
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 7:10:57 PM   
Zap

After I read the comments about engineers I was curious went to a video on you tube where a Russian military crew put a bridge up in 6:45 seconds. So it tells me its possible.

Post #: 47
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 7:51:00 PM   
Warhorse

Why is it when I make a joke, I'm a jackass, when everyone else can slam the devel team all over the place and be okay with it? I just got a little caught up in the thread is all, will ignore the thread from now on, not my forte...

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 48
RE: Farwell - 2/5/2016 11:46:51 PM   
Deepstuff3725

To those who like to bash the development team, keep in mind there could be no development team at all, and the game would never improve from where it is now. For those non-fanboys out there, would this be better?

With any upgrade available in the future, it will be your choice to buy it. You can still play the game as it is now and not buy it.

From the original version of JTCS to what CS is now, the development team has done a great job improving the game. Try playing the original version prior to any updates and you will understand what I'm saying.

I'm glad the development team is working to make CS even better, and I don't expect them to put all the many hours of work in for free.

And it's a game. I think some of us need to get a life.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 49
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 6:29:14 AM   
Crossroads

On a serious note I just don't understand the anger presented here. The game, its optional rules, and the hundreds of scenarios offers plenty of sweet spots for everyone to enjoy. 'Kool Kat', 'Mr RR', you guys have obviously found yours and are sticking to it. And why not. But why not enjoy that and let others enjoy what they enjoy. Why the need to bash others?

Plenty to discuss: sure! Matrix still offers all UPDATES from 1.01 to 1.04 and 2.00 to 2.02 via their ftp service. Game can be installed in parallel in multiple versions. Dozens of mods available to further enhance the game towards ones liking. Yes, the game's being developed, there's enhancements and new features and yet more to come. It is communicated many times new features are implemented as new Optional Rules where possible. Don't like Adaptive AI that brings a further randomness to die rolls? Don't use it. And so on.

We all have opinions and preferences. Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.

(in reply to Deepstuff3725)
Post #: 50
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 6:39:50 AM   
zakblood

quote:

Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.

no it isn't, and if it continues to go this way, some posts will be report to admin, to see if something can be done about it, as there's no need for it, if you don't like the direction, go a different path, but please don't spoil it for others, take this as the first warning,

there won't be any others, can't be civil in your post, then please don't post, it's that simple, not rocket science...

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/6/2016 7:41:00 AM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 51
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 7:36:09 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
We all have opinions and preferences. Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.

Totally agree. And I guess everyone that disagrees with their opinion for whatever reason is a "fanboy". That's the first time I've been accused of that, for any game!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 52
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 4:49:57 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

quote:

Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.

no it isn't, and if it continues to go this way, some posts will be report to admin, to see if something can be done about it, as there's no need for it, if you don't like the direction, go a different path, but please don't spoil it for others, take this as the first warning,

there won't be any others, can't be civil in your post, then please don't post, it's that simple, not rocket science...

I agree to this. Equally applied, of course.

RR

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 53
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 5:00:53 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

On a serious note I just don't understand the anger presented here. The game, its optional rules, and the hundreds of scenarios offers plenty of sweet spots for everyone to enjoy. 'Kool Kat', 'Mr RR', you guys have obviously found yours and are sticking to it. And why not. But why not enjoy that and let others enjoy what they enjoy. Why the need to bash others?

Plenty to discuss: sure! Matrix still offers all UPDATES from 1.01 to 1.04 and 2.00 to 2.02 via their ftp service. Game can be installed in parallel in multiple versions. Dozens of mods available to further enhance the game towards ones liking. Yes, the game's being developed, there's enhancements and new features and yet more to come. It is communicated many times new features are implemented as new Optional Rules where possible. Don't like Adaptive AI that brings a further randomness to die rolls? Don't use it. And so on.

Never been a fan of hundreds of options.
And, what you need to remember is that your team is going to take away the support of all your "updates" when they un-bundle and play Frankenstein's monster with each of the games?
At least that is what your programmer stated?

My "sweet spot" is playing a fun game that did not need the extra "stuff".

Petri, there is no anger on my part. Disappointment and disgust. Not anger. And, I always push back against institutionalized oppression.

And, Zak, let me know if this is an example of what you are going to report?

RR

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 54
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 5:01:39 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

After I read the comments about engineers I was curious went to a video on you tube where a Russian military crew put a bridge up in 6:45 seconds. So it tells me its possible.

Can you post the link?
Or, do I search for Russian engineer bridge building?

RR

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 55
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 5:15:43 PM   
zakblood

anything that isn't Civil, off topic or just plain rude

Post #: 56
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 5:45:20 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

quote:

Can you post the link?

RR

Tried a You Tube search. All I found were these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0NMGuv1mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdo8z0RKebk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nb14F_s1fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCoSmtUFUL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afF3IUr7kbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC0Qg8Z-gw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTot6-cjRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUe9PXNnqU

Most of the videos are under six minutes. Though most bridges took longer to make.

RR

Post #: 57
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 5:58:54 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Never been a fan of hundreds of options.
And, what you need to remember is that your team is going to take away the support of all your "updates" when they un-bundle and play Frankenstein's monster with each of the games?
At least that is what your programmer stated?

Yes. The original Talonsoft Campaign Series titles were end-of-lifed in effect at latest when Talonsoft went belly up in 2005. Not counting the bug ridden EF I, thats 1998 (WF) - 2005 ie. seven years of some sort of support.

The JTCS bundle will be end-of lifed in effect at latest when the first unbundles title will come up, in 2017 we hope. That is nine years of support (2007-2017). That said, there's no planned UPDATEs any longer.

No need to pick on us any of, individually. This has been a clear message by the Dev Team for some time.

quote:

My "sweet spot" is playing a fun game that did not need the extra "stuff".

Then play it like that by all means but let others add "extra stuff" if they want to.

quote:

Petri, there is no anger on my part. Disappointment and disgust. Not anger. And, I always push back against institutionalized oppression.

And, Zak, let me know if this is an example of what you are going to report?

RR

No anger, eh. Well you fooled me.

I am up to a civil discussion on any game related topic so glad to hear that's how we'll continue then. No name calling by anyone, no putting words in anyone's mouth, sounds like a deal.

Post #: 58
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 9:23:02 PM   
Zap

quote:

quote:

Can you post the link?

RR

Ed you'll have to look I have not had success in trying topost the link. Go to you tube and search like you say. It should come up. Have to say it was a 1990 Russian unit. Then I looked at WWII pontoon bridges. Search agin in youtube. There the was an article with the 107th American engineers. Where it speaks of time it took them to build a pontoon bridge. There it was a longer period like 45 minutes for a pontoon bridge that could carry mobile units. Search Pontoon bridges

< Message edited by Zap -- 2/6/2016 10:26:30 PM >

Post #: 59
RE: Farwell - 2/6/2016 11:25:55 PM   
Zap

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can you post the link?

RR

Tried a You Tube search. All I found were these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0NMGuv1mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdo8z0RKebk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nb14F_s1fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCoSmtUFUL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afF3IUr7kbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC0Qg8Z-gw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTot6-cjRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUe9PXNnqU

Most of the videos are under six minutes. Though most bridges took longer to make.

RR

I believe that video has not been edited but I could be wrong.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Farwell Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI