Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The coolest battles of WW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The coolest battles of WW2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The coolest battles of WW2 - 4/26/2001 10:21:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

The coolest battles of WW2 I am going to start designing a series of mega battles on all fronts.. this will be in the format of Figmo's post named "Mini Me" The battles will follow historical dates with the histoical units... The battles will be designed around miniature play and rules.. In short.. campaigns on a single map and a single scenario, OOB and map both will be way out of scale. The units will represent larger units.. Fight for the city of Acchen (sp) in one great battle.. or Crete... or Berlin..... All using SPWAW format.... hmmmmm what battles would you like to see.. and what battles do you not want to see? please let me know.. as I am starting this on my own... M4

I remember the Tigers...poor lost kittys....Here Kitty..kitty
Post #: 1
- 4/26/2001 10:33:00 AM   
McGib

There's gonna be alot of requests for the eastern front so I'm gonna get this one in first. I'd like to see one for the operations involving the Falaise pocket.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to M4 Jess Housley)
Post #: 2
- 4/26/2001 11:01:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

Guadalcanal!

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

Post #: 3
- 4/26/2001 11:06:00 AM   
medlinke

quote:

Originally posted by McGib: There's gonna be alot of requests for the eastern front so I'm gonna get this one in first. I'd like to see one for the operations involving the Falaise pocket.
Hate to break this to ya, but the falaise pocket was a battle just after D-Day in France...nowhere near the Eastern Front. I'd like to see a well done rhineland campaign series.

Post #: 4
- 4/26/2001 2:59:00 PM   
nimu

Good idea M4!!That's the way to make this community grow!!! Anyway ,There's already a beautifull short Guadalalcan campaign by Will Bill;u can download it from Fabio Prado's armor site or from Tankhead central. What about the battle of Kursk?Or the Salerno's allied landing?Something good could be also the Student's action in 1940 to gain the Alberto's channel bridges. see u

"out of ammo........God save the King"

Post #: 5
- 4/26/2001 3:45:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

The Battle of Suomussalmi December 8th - 30th would be a great chalenge for SPWAW 5.0 players, skitroops against overwhelmingly odds. Read more of it here. http://www.winterwar.com/Battles/Suomussalmi.htm Read this from Winterwar.com "Finnish side During the YH (the mobilization), a total of 1 621 men gathered to the training centre in Suomussalmi. From this personnel, the 15th Separate Battalion, Er.P 15, was formed under the command of Lt.Col. L.Kyander. The battalion had an order (only the commander was aware of this order) to attack across the border and advance to Vuokkiniemi (some 30 km from the border) in case the war breaks out. The Er.P 15 was attached to the P-SR (North Finland Group), commanded by Maj.General W.E.Tuompo. On November 30th, when the war started, the Er.P. 15 had one company in Likoharju (some 10 km west of Raatevaara). This company had manned all border stations from Puras to Kuivajärvi. All other elements and units of the battalion were in or around Suomussalmi and Ämmänsaari. In the Suomussalmi church-area, was also one separate company led by Capt. E.Kontula (hence the name, Er.K. Kontula) under the direct command of the Commander of the North Finland Group (from now on P-SR in the text). The only Finnish unit in the Juntusranta area was a border guard detachment (from now on RO II, Rajavartio-osasto II, in Finnish), which had manned the border stations on a 50 km front. The total strength of RO II was 58 men, and in the border station in Hossa (some 20 km north of Juntusranta) were 10 men (with one Bergmann-smg) and in the border station in Toravaara 10 men (with one Bergmann-smg), so in Juntusranta, the detachment had 38 men (the detachment in Juntusranta had only one Lahti-Saloranta lmg and 2 smg's, one Bergmann and one Suomi-smg). The detachment had no radio, so all communications to the HQ were made by phone. Soviet side The opposing force was the 47th Corps, commanded by Corps Commander Dashitsev, which was a part of the 9th Army, commanded by Army Commander Chuikov. The first objective of the 163rd (from now on the 163.D) division, commanded by Division Commander Selendsov, was to destroy the Finnish forces at the border and advance to the Suomussalmi village. As the second objective, the division was to advance to Puolanka via Hyrynsalmi and Ylinäljänkä. After reaching Puolanka, the 44th motorized division (hereafter 44.D) was to advance rapidly from Puolanka towards Oulu, the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia and the Swedish border (the division had received before the war strict orders not to cross the Finnish-Swedish border). The HQ of the 163.D decided to execute the attack by advancing along the Raate-road (the road from Raatevaara towards Suomussalmi) with a single regiment strengthened by one recon battalion and one Engineer company, while the main elements of the division would advance through Juntusranta to the Palovaara-crossroad (and advance partly through nearly roadless terrain) from where some elements of the division would continue to the Suomussalmi village and some to Peranka." one finn :p against :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: [ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: Tortfeasor ]

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

Post #: 6
- 4/26/2001 7:19:00 PM   
Panzer Capta

I think the entire "Battle of the Bulge" would make an awesome Mega Campaign!!

Post #: 7
- 4/27/2001 2:37:00 AM   
fontenoy

I would like to see the Canadian campaign for the Scheldt estuary in late 1944.The British had already captured Antwerp but realized it was of limited value while the Scheldt remained in German hands.This was a battle fought in terrible weather.The rain and mud was a major factor.However,any new battles or campaigns you decide to create will be most welcome.Good luck in your efforts. Regards, Fontenoy.

Post #: 8
- 4/27/2001 2:48:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hello. I would like to see the campaigns of Greece and Yugoslavia. Not the partisan war, but the conquest war against regular armies and british. It would be from the german/italian point of view. Also the battle of krosni borr, Spanish blue division against huge red horde. Saludos.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 9
- 4/27/2001 3:34:00 AM   
Rick Borovec

As long as we are dreaming........... I would like to see the invasion of Japan, what was that called, Operation Cornet?

Post #: 10
- 4/27/2001 3:54:00 AM   
McGib

quote:

Originally posted by Keith: Hate to break this to ya, but the falaise pocket was a battle just after D-Day in France...nowhere near the Eastern Front.
Really?? Wow I never knew that :eek: If you read my post carefully you would have seen that I was saying that I figured so many people would request eastern front scenarios I would get in a request for a battle somewhere else.

Ready Aye Ready

Post #: 11
- 4/27/2001 4:01:00 AM   
Grumble

Market Garden.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Post #: 12
- 4/27/2001 7:21:00 AM   
RockinHarry

"Rhineland Battles" (Veritable...) would be nice! But that´s something I also have in my own bag... :D ____________ RockinHarry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 13
- 4/27/2001 8:05:00 AM   
KG Erwin

If you want a campaign that hasn't already been done to death, then how about the battles above the Arctic Circle on the Eastern Front? You can feature the SS mountain troops and other specialized units of the 20th Mountain Army, the Finns, and the Russians. This is an ideal situation for using the SPWaW game design engine. The ultimate goal of the Germans would be the capture of Murmansk, thereby cutting off on e of the vital lend-lease ports. You could call it "Trail of the Arctic Fox". Now THAT would be cool! [ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: KG Erwin ] [ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: KG Erwin ] [ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: KG Erwin ]

Post #: 14
- 4/27/2001 8:47:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

Just to be clear..this will be a series..not a campaign. ;) I already have many of the battles designed.. I am waiting for 5.0 then I will clean them up. M4

I remember the Tigers...poor lost kittys....Here Kitty..kitty

Post #: 15
- 4/28/2001 12:17:00 AM   
Arto

About 5 minutes ago ended a TV-document, "Talin-Ihantalan ihme" (= The miracle of Tali-Ihantala), the biggest battle ever fought in Skandinavia where the Finns stopped the red-army on June-July 1944. Red-army (=Stalin) had decided to conquer whole Finland. Finns had about 50 000 men and red-army had over 150 000 men and they had total air superior and hundreds modern tanks. Thanks to this battle, Finland remained independent. The miracle of the Winter War (-39 - -40)happened again... [ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: Arto ] [ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: Arto ]

Post #: 16
- 4/28/2001 12:22:00 AM   
Fredde

Arto, Check JTV's great scenarios covering this battle! There you will also have the Portinhoikka battle all covered. I will be doing some scenarios shortly covering a little part of the Tali/Ihantala battle (following IR 13).

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 17
- 4/28/2001 12:27:00 AM   
Arto

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: Arto, Check JTV's great scenarios covering this battle! There you will also have the Portinhoikka battle all covered. I will be doing some scenarios shortly covering a little part of the Tali/Ihantala battle (following IR 13).
Thanks!!! And thanks to also the Swedish volunteers who fought in Finlands army!

Post #: 18
- 4/28/2001 12:37:00 AM   
adantas

quote:

Originally posted by RockinHarry: "Rhineland Battles" (Veritable...) would be nice! But that´s something I also have in my own bag... :D ____________ RockinHarry
Yes, Rhineland sounds good!! :D By the way, I'm starting to work at a scenario covering the battle around Cleve. -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

Post #: 19
- 4/28/2001 1:20:00 AM   
chanman

How about the battle for Sidi Renzeigh (probably misspelled)? Part of the Operation Crusader battles in North Africa. Chanman

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

Post #: 20
- 4/28/2001 2:19:00 AM   
bchapman

Jess, How about Aznio, Feb.16, '44. thru Feb. 18th? The German Counterattack against the Allied line around Aprilia. :p Bascom

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

Post #: 21
- 4/28/2001 6:17:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

quote:

Originally posted by Urquhart: There's already a beautifull short Guadalalcan campaign by Will Bill;u can download it from Fabio Prado's armor site or from Tankhead central.
Thanks for this reference! I downloaded the campaign yesterday from Tankhead's site and started the first scenario last night.

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

Post #: 22
- 4/28/2001 6:24:00 AM   
BruceAZ

I would vote for the series of battles in Italy starting with the landings in Scily and ending up near the Austrian border. It seemed like Mark Clark had everybody at his disposal. Maybe that would be better served as a Mega Campaign? Anyway, I like the idea.

Post #: 23
- 4/28/2001 11:14:00 PM   
RockinHarry

Hello Jess, I would like to see series of battles from canadian or british units in NW Europe 44/45. Maybe Guards Armoured or Canadian 4th Tank or something like that. Also something from soviet point of view, would be fine. Some famous heavy tank brigade maybe!? BTW: Adantas, looking forward to your work. :) The rhineland battlefields are in my "backyard", so it´s first choice for me, to work on something like that. Maybe something with "Greyhound" (116.Pz) Division or 3. Fallschirmjaeger (paratroopers)...we´ll see. ______________ RockinHarry [ April 28, 2001: Message edited by: RockinHarry ]

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The coolest battles of WW2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI