Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux - 2/7/2016 8:16:30 PM   
smokindave34

Great game M60, I'm glad we finally got one over the finish line! I was hoping to hold out one more turn to make it to mud (and most likely the historical end date) but even my elite fanatical troops could not hold off that massive offensive on Berlin.

Your Bagration style offensive in early summer really put me on my heels for the entire summer '44 campaign. I had hoped the Dnepr would slow you down but alas I waited one turn too long. You also did a great job of farming morale/experience for your Tank/Mech corps from '42 on. They turned into real beasts in 1944.

Well done Comrade!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 331
RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux - 2/7/2016 11:35:11 PM   
obssesednuker

This AAR does make me wonder: how big of an army can Soviet industry support if we assume trucks are not an issue? Because I notice most people here don't push their Red Army very far beyond 9-10 mil if they can help it but here you had a Soviet armed forces with 12 mil+ at one point.

< Message edited by obssesednuker -- 2/8/2016 12:40:42 AM >

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 332
RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux - 2/8/2016 2:49:21 AM   
M60A3TTS

Dave played a great game and every bit as important he finished it. There just aren't enough people who will stick it out to the end.

I really was unsure that Moscow was going to hold out in 1941 as my best units took positions in the last fort line by the capital at the start of winter. The Summer 42 offensive had the Red Army constantly falling back until things started to turn around at Stalingrad. A couple times near Rostov and south of lake Ilmen I got very careless, but the resulting damage was contained by the endless manpower reserves. The drive to get over the Dnepr south of Kiev was crucial to my success during Winter 43-44. The pocket created by Operation Bagration involved a lot of pre-work and I thought it important not attracting attention in that area in the weeks leading up to the attack. Once that was successful, it did seem as if the drive to the west was on, and it ended as well as I could have hoped.

The whole Hungarian operation I think people were a little hard on the Axis play. I didn't realize myself that there was a break in the mountain chain at this place called the Dukla Pass, allowing me to get around the Hungarians and I'm sure others were similarly unaware. Well now people know.

Overall I was satisfied playing the game, although the air changes in the later patches messed things up for me. One small note, maybe for Wite2, Soviet promotions to General Armii are currently too easy, promotion to Marshal of the S.U. too tough. I'd say forget resetting counters, if you have 350 victories and are a political rating 7, you make Marshal. Political rating of 6 takes 400 victories. Just my $.02.

(in reply to obssesednuker)
Post #: 333
RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux - 2/8/2016 2:53:12 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: obssesednuker

This AAR does make me wonder: how big of an army can Soviet industry support if we assume trucks are not an issue? Because I notice most people here don't push their Red Army very far beyond 9-10 mil if they can help it but here you had a Soviet armed forces with 12 mil+ at one point.

It's not just a larger army, but without truck limitations the Soviet player would have far more aircraft and AFVs in play in the form of mechanized and tank corps that are a large consumer of trucks.

The real problem for the Soviet player when it comes to trucks is the blizzard conditions. Even when the distance to the railhead was short, I still had to pull much of the air force in to keep from running my truck fleet into an even deeper hole.

(in reply to obssesednuker)
Post #: 334
RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux - 2/8/2016 10:13:50 AM   
Peltonx

Your Bagration Offensive was what won the game clearly.

June 44 Dave had the space in the north to give and the manpower to make it to July 1st 45 as it was he almost made it to May.

He should have planed on pulling back 2-4 hexes that first clear turn north of The Marsh as he had allot of space to give.
It is very tempting to think a major river can hold back the best Russian units summer of 44.

Once summer 44 hits the only area Germany can hold the line is just to east of Warsaw, also because of your Bagration Offensive dave did not have the troops to properly defend Hungary - not that it ever really matters

Hungary is a real truck sinkhole for sure winter 44/45.

Your far better now then when we played a few yrs ago.

One of the few truly great 44 operations by a Russian player for the win.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 335
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Zhukov Memoirs - GC41-45 M60 vs smokindave redux Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI