Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/4/2016 6:08:55 PM   
Shark7

I think what it boils down to is if you like it or not.

In my case I have the security/privacy concerns, topped with the fact that none of the new 'features' of Win10 (cortana, etc) interest me in the least. I basically prefer the OS to be as bare bones as possible, so I can devote more of my RAM and Processor power to programs (OK games). All that other bloat-ware is just garbage that has to be cleaned out before I can actually get down to using it.

So it doesn't make any sense at all to upgrade until forced to. And at that point, Linux might very well be the best choice for me given the reasons I listed above.

One thing I will watch is if MS tries to steatlth install Win10 on my PC via Windows Update. I find out exactly what every patch does now before I install it. No, I don't trust anybody.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 31
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/4/2016 8:44:16 PM   
radic202

All in all I enjoy Windows 10. Basically no major problems except I recently lost my search button when I open the Windows Start Button and all my Gadgets/widgets have also disappeared (they were there before and lost them on some Win 10 update). Tried everything to get them back but to no avail. No major issue for me but still annoying.

The only thing that worries me is how or what do I do if I wanted to reformat my computer when I don't have the original disk or an original download as I upgraded from Windows 7. I have 4 other 1TB HDs on my computers besides the C and System Reserve, so most of my files are all safe and backed up. Was thinking of getting and SSD dive for my C but still worried about how I install it without the Win 10 installation software.

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 32
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/4/2016 8:53:44 PM   
zakblood

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

and use the iso setup tool (media creation tool) to burn to what ever you like, i use a thumb drive, but it can be a dvd or hard drive either if you wish

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/4/2016 9:54:43 PM >

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 33
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 12:23:33 AM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

My Windows 10 update attempt was a nightmare. The first time I tried everything seemed to go well, except none of the Windows 10 features worked. I could still use the computer, but not even the calculator in Windows 10 would work. So I called MicroSoft. After their low level support could not figure it out, they gave me an appointment for another phone consult with higher level support. They didn't call at the appointed time.

I found a MicroSoft web site with suggestions for the upgrade, so I tried again. This time it turned my tower into a large brick. Thanks. So off to the Geek Squad. They said they would be happy to install 10 for me, but I opted for them reinstalling Windows 7. A couple of days later, now that the computer was in the shop, MicroSoft called out of the blue to help me. Thanks again.

I won't upgrade now until the computer dies.

TomC

Here! Here! (Like they do in Parliament)

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 34
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 12:52:54 AM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

and use the iso setup tool (media creation tool) to burn to what ever you like, i use a thumb drive, but it can be a dvd or hard drive either if you wish

Thanks for this: that looks like to me that I would need to reformat using Win 7 installation disks then re-install via your link win 10. Guess long process but at least I have bookmarked it and have it for whenever I decide to do so. Much obliged, thanks..

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 35
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 2:06:18 AM   
e_barkmann

reformatting will be done by the win10 installation process. For more info, see Option 1 in this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 36
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 6:14:16 AM   
zakblood

once the free upgrade has been done, a fresh install of a clean windows 10 can be done without a S/N / Key at any time also for free

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 37
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 10:19:29 AM   
joswilliams

I still don't understand why MS need all this stealth install of win10. Currently I'm using win7 and don't have any complaints. I'll change my OS, when I 'll want this, not when microsoft will tell me to do this.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 38
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 11:10:43 AM   
zakblood

for stuff like direct X 12 and 12.1 it's needed, but as support will soon be gone for all other version, if you want something that won't be sorted in the future, then that's fine as i know many who still are more than happy on windows xp, and some firms on win NT4 or win 2k even, but it's a choice, as while some think it's better, not everyone does, but after 29 July 2016 it's no longer free and any one who wishes to go down this route from then, will have to pay, so plenty of time yet to make there mind up and stick either with what they have or buy after that date if needed

(in reply to joswilliams)
Post #: 39
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 11:32:25 AM   
Aurelian

Still have 95/98/XP/7 cd/dvd. Though I don't really see the need to ever install them again. (Had Vista, gave it away.)

More than happy with 10. Especially as it 's free.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 40
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 7:58:13 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

(Had Vista, gave it away.)

Did you give it to someone you disliked?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 41
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 8:26:31 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

For sure.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 42
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/5/2016 10:09:58 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

No. A friend had it on her laptop, (HP something), so I gave her my dvd. Guess it got scared because the hard drive died :)

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 2/5/2016 11:12:26 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 43
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/6/2016 3:54:45 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

My Windows 10 update attempt was a nightmare. The first time I tried everything seemed to go well, except none of the Windows 10 features worked. I could still use the computer, but not even the calculator in Windows 10 would work. So I called MicroSoft. After their low level support could not figure it out, they gave me an appointment for another phone consult with higher level support. They didn't call at the appointed time.

I found a MicroSoft web site with suggestions for the upgrade, so I tried again. This time it turned my tower into a large brick. Thanks. So off to the Geek Squad. They said they would be happy to install 10 for me, but I opted for them reinstalling Windows 7. A couple of days later, now that the computer was in the shop, MicroSoft called out of the blue to help me. Thanks again.

I won't upgrade now until the computer dies.

TomC

Updates! One thing I learned a long, long time ago was to turn off auto-update. I would examine what each update was supposed to do and only occasionally did any updating. MS updates have a history of causing too many problems. And of course that led to further more updates to fix the previous update.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 44
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/8/2016 8:13:33 PM   
john9871

i think i'm havingt he same problem with my pc

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 45
RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL - 2/11/2016 11:01:07 AM   
Ian Packham

Windows 7 still dominates the OS market becasue it is good solid and safe. Microsoft knows most of us will keep with 7 for as long as we can to avoid the boring and dumb Windows 10.

That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.

(in reply to john9871)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI