Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Goodbye to AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Goodbye to AE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 3:45:15 AM   
Numdydar

Hello to XCOM 2

Sorry boys and girls but I only have so much time for games (and still play more than I should according to my wife )

I played the 2012 XCOM's through twice . And XCOM 2 is even better (and harder). So if you like turn based tactical combat games, this one is hard to beat.

And at the rate I have to retry missions, its going to take me a while to finish this. I've got 60 hours in and feel like I have not gotten very far.
Post #: 1
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 4:42:55 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Deserters will be shot!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 6:09:56 AM   
witpqs

So kids today think the 2012 XCOM was the first one...

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 3
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 6:34:34 AM   
Pilsator

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

and after the Alien Base Bug was fixed, it really is still a mile stone.

Btw. it is on Steam for 1,24€ until the 12th.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 10:06:57 AM   
Trugrit

Well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvqyY3muiW8

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 5
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 11:30:39 AM   
HansBolter

Can't begrudge anyone who has a love for Xcom.

Played the heck ouutta those games!

Have to admit Skyrim and War in the East have been cutting into my AE playtime.

Hans

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 6
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 12:38:34 PM   
Canoerebel

I know a player who walked away from AE. He was gone for two years and three months. Now he's back and playing as regularly as ever. During his long absence, he didn't play any other game (with the exceptions of chess and few OAOW matches against the AI). To him, AE is the best game ever devised.

I don't know what XCom is, but if it's an alien/space game, as some of the comments suggest here...well, .

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 12:39:05 PM   
Anachro

AE will always be here...waiting for you...seeing as I just started with it, it will be awhile before I can play other games again.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 1:07:11 PM   
btd64

Sorry, but When you get involved with AE, there is no leaving the family.. There's only one way out. It's the same with mob families.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 9
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 1:30:10 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Hello to XCOM 2

Sorry boys and girls but I only have so much time for games (and still play more than I should according to my wife )

I played the 2012 XCOM's through twice . And XCOM 2 is even better (and harder). So if you like turn based tactical combat games, this one is hard to beat.

And at the rate I have to retry missions, its going to take me a while to finish this. I've got 60 hours in and feel like I have not gotten very far.

Every 18 months or so, I still manage to drag out SPWAW, LOL..
Have a good time, we will miss you and look forward to your return...Bob

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 10
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 1:46:37 PM   
crsutton

I play Combat Mission 2 a bit and still have a partner for Tiller's Panzer Campaigns (Playing the WWI version now) but for the most part UV-AE has devoured my life for the past decade. When I want a little diversion I shoot up some bad guys in Fallout 3 or Diablo 3 but none of the above can hold my attention like AE does. If I don't get my turn from Viberpol, I just get grumpy.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 11
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 2:13:44 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Every 18 months or so, I still manage to drag out SPWAW, LOL..
Have a good time, we will miss you and look forward to your return...Bob

SPWAW is one of the alltime classics. I read in the general forum some new version is out. I personnaly still think 7.1 H2H FR is the best from all of the version. Even better then 8.4. But thats only me. I liked the pricing, sounds and some tweaks in H2H. If you must pay 3x as much for a Tiger as for a Sherman I think it´s realistic.... Also the tweak that US arty got 1 more 1 HE kill was I think ok, as their arty was the best - not only the guns but the system and speed with which they could response (its called TOT time on target I believe). I still have an unfinished campaign "Russian Steel"... what a blast this camp is/was....I believe it has 30+ scenarios

I also played some "space" games... I guess starflight (which was a mix from strategy and rpg) and a pure strategy one (I believe from SSI but can not remember the name). Must have been Win95 times so quite old games :) Also tried the Orion games but seems they somehow werent my cup of tea.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 2/10/2016 3:21:55 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 2:19:37 PM   
Alpha77

Still have 2 unfinished save games from TOAW "Directive 21" (the whole and complete war in Russia) as well an ACW1 game as confederates also complete campaign from 61 on. Sadly they must wait, as I got into WITPAW again....yes you need 48h in a day. Would be my favorite tweak

Edit; Here is the SSI game I was talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reach_for_the_Stars_%28video_game%29#Sequel

(Better do not look at the graphic)

Also played some action games, like Call of Duty 2 but it is also sitting still, also I have Far Cry 1 only played 4-5h even if the graphics are very good - seems I am to much into strategy.
Total war I also bought a pack of 3 games for special price and a better video card for Nappi and Empire, but hardly played them. Played Rome and Med before tho - quite a lot.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 2/10/2016 3:30:43 PM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 13
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 2:54:46 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

They do.... Until show them 'Laser Squad' on C64... Corporal Jonlan ?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 2:59:23 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I play Combat Mission 2 a bit and still have a partner for Tiller's Panzer Campaigns (Playing the WWI version now) but for the most part UV-AE has devoured my life for the past decade. When I want a little diversion I shoot up some bad guys in Fallout 3 or Diablo 3 but none of the above can hold my attention like AE does. If I don't get my turn from Viberpol, I just get grumpy.

Combat Mission 2 is still good really. Never got in to the CM 2.0 engine really. But AE has that quality that makes you think about how fend off USN off the shores of Java when u are returning home from work every evening because you know those Betty's will not fly and even if they do they will be slaughtered by the Hellcats. No other game has that nail biting suspense element as you race home to run the turn. In SPWAW or CMXX, u lose in one turn and but next turn may be different and this is at most a 60 turn battle. In contrast one really bad turn in this game, and u play 2 years on ( in real years ) until the bitter end.

To the bitter end...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 15
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 8:13:54 PM   
Rising-Sun

Sorry to hear that you are leaving so soon, don't hit the doors on the way out.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 16
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 10:08:42 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

Nope. I actually played the ones in the 1990's too . That's why I stated 2012 in my OP and I did not say it was the first one I palyed. Although I can see how that could have been implied

I'm also quite sure that I can miss the door on the way out too

But I'm also sure I will again play AE as this is really the only game on the PTO that really captures everything involved in the theater. Although it will be interesting to see if Hearts of Iron 4 can finally get their naval system to work correctly.

I do applaud 2by3 Games from not trying to create an ETO game prior to '43 as the naval system in almost every WWII strategic game I have ever played has pretty much sucked.

So I will definitely be playing again at some point. maybe after all those pesky aliens have been kicked of earth Again

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 2/10/2016 11:10:02 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/10/2016 10:43:14 PM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I know a player who walked away from AE. He was gone for two years and three months. Now he's back and playing as regularly as ever. During his long absence, he didn't play any other game (with the exceptions of chess and few OAOW matches against the AI). To him, AE is the best game ever devised.

I don't know what XCom is, but if it's an alien/space game, as some of the comments suggest here...well, .

I have just come back from a 4-1/2 year hiatus. While I am enjoying it again, it seems that it is not like riding a bike. I jumped right into a new campaign (scenario 1) as Allied vs AI and promptly found myself scrolling around this huge map with no clue what to do with all of those ships, lcu's air groups, pilots, etc. Well, it's fun anyway.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 18
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 12:07:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Sorry, but When you get involved with AE, there is no leaving the family.. There's only one way out. It's the same with mob families.....GP

So that means we have a Godfather!??

Is it .... Alfred??? Nemo??? Nominations, please!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 19
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 12:08:36 AM   
jcjordan

If a fan of the classic XCom - Xenonauts is closer to it than XCom2. I've been watching a guy doing a playthough on Youtube of XCom2 but not sure that it interests me

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 20
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 12:29:58 AM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

So that means we have a Godfather!??

Is it .... Alfred??? Nemo??? Nominations, please!

Is Terminus still on? If so, I nominate him for Luca Brasi.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 12:31:53 AM   
Canoerebel

A fair number of old timers leave and then, years later, return. In recent times, Q-Ball, Grotius, and AU Tiger come to mind. But these three (and others) stuck their toes back in the water and soon vanished again. Here's hoping, though, that vanished old timers will return and rediscover the pleasure of this game. :)

Three of my earliest opponents - dating to UV days - are still active: John III, Miller and Admiral Dadman.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 22
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 12:52:05 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Actually I would say it's more like denizens of a crack den. Some people try to get off the stuff, but most come back eventually.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 23
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 1:02:58 AM   
catwhoorg

many many days playing UFO: Enemy Unknown (as XCOM was when it was released in the UK).

One of my close friends at Uni at I tag teamed a whole weekend non-stop from starting a game to the final battle in the wee small hours of the Monday.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 24
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 1:58:24 AM   
NigelKentarus

My rig isn't good enough for Skyrim, so I split my time between Oblivion and THE game! (That's how my wife refers to AE, and not in a good way)

< Message edited by NigelKentarus -- 2/11/2016 3:01:10 AM >

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 25
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 2:04:26 AM   
geofflambert

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, ...

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 26
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 3:14:32 AM   
Anachro

For some reason the thread title reminds me of Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 27
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 4:52:08 AM   
fulcrum28

I'm sure that he will suffer from AE "home sick" soon :)

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 28
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 12:22:48 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

My rig isn't good enough for Skyrim, so I split my time between Oblivion and THE game! (That's how my wife refers to AE, and not in a good way)

If you can run Oblivion you should be able to run Skyrim, more or less. On Steam sales it's down to about $5 for the base game. I played both and Skyrim is an order of magnitude better and larger than Oblivion.

The Moose

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 29
RE: Goodbye to AE - 2/11/2016 2:16:23 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Actually I would say it's more like denizens of a crack den. Some people try to get off the stuff, but most come back eventually.

Bill

I am NOT "cracked"...I prefer Mad magazine!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Goodbye to AE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI