Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:23:54 PM   
Canoerebel

It has indeed been fun and exhuasting. Thank goodness for that 2.25 year hiatus from game play!

Even as John is excited about the situation in Sumatra and Burma, bear in mind that this and future successes for him are intentinoally pre-packaged for a reason. I want to lead him down paths that are most helpful to me. I'd like him to focus on the Sumatran west coast road for a month or two since that represents his slowest route to victory. So the defenses are configured to excite him, slow him just a bit early on, draw him deeper, and then halt him for awhile. If that keeps him from getting antsy and invading in coup-de-main fashion, it's worked. And even as he advances banzaiing all the while, he's been marching to the beat of an Allied drummer.

Even without opposition it would take him three weeks to march to Sabang. With opposition the campaign should take much longer. The one thing I don't want to see is an invasion of Sabang short or medium term. I need him jazzed for the next month or so about his prospects on the west road. If that ultimately leads to victory in 60 days or 90 days, Sumatra will by then have served it's purpose.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4501
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:41:23 PM   
Canoerebel

A week ago, one or two of you were interested in reading a story I'd written about the Battle of Kettle Creek. I finished late last week and used this in a presentation to our local Daughters of the American Revolution Chapter. I'll adapt from this as a story for the magazine I edit. This story is not academic-level history intended for military historians. It's a general-interest story meant to entertain a broad audience interested in Georgia history.

Well, I had to edit because the TXT version erased all paragraph breaks etc. I don't know of a good way to present a text document, but I'll try creating a JPEG for each page and then embedding it. It probably won't be pretty.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/15/2016 8:44:00 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4502
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:44:04 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 1 of 5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/15/2016 8:47:50 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4503
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:45:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 2 of 5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/15/2016 8:49:28 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4504
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:45:15 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 3 of 5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/15/2016 8:49:48 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4505
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:45:24 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 4 of 5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/15/2016 8:50:06 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4506
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:45:32 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 5 of 5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/15/2016 8:50:24 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4507
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 7:58:44 PM   
KenchiSulla

Nice one!

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4508
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:12:52 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

My only concern to your plan, and I have said it before, is his satellite airfields. If he gets them to level 4 then LBA can continue the blockade, perhaps with a small carrier contingent as support (remember, he gets more carriers in this mod than normal). He can run his gunships for bombardments. This will free up his KB to react to any moves on Java.

I'm not being critical, just voicing my concerns on your plans. In any event, it's gut check time & see where we land

You are overlooking the fact that the Allied navies will have ports to operate from in support of their invasion to counter the IJN. That is the only reason why there is still a battle for Sumatra. The Allies do not have any secure ports from which to support/reinforce their invasion.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4509
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:15:30 PM   
Lowpe

Now I am going to have to check out Roberts. Well done!

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 4510
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:29:46 PM   
BBfanboy

You have a knack for capturing the drama of a battle in a few concise paragraphs and also conveying understanding of the import of what went on.
Well done!

I have no idea what the DAR meetings usually deal with - did you get any feedback from them?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4511
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:39:26 PM   
Panther Bait

CR, in what is unfortunately a dying art, that was very well written, thoroughly enjoyable.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4512
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:45:29 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

You are overlooking the fact that the Allied navies will have ports to operate from in support of their invasion to counter the IJN. That is the only reason why there is still a battle for Sumatra. The Allies do not have any secure ports from which to support/reinforce their invasion.

Not at all.

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 4513
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:56:24 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I have no idea what the DAR meetings usually deal with - did you get any feedback from them?

These are "home folks" who know me well, as I speak and teach frequently around here. I think they liked it. Heck, my wife was there and even she seemed to enjoy it. :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4514
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 8:59:28 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't intend to stick my naked arm into a hornet's nest. With SigInt and careful attention to the ebb and flow of the game, plus my familiarity with John, I think I can work things out to create a good feint and to strike somewhere important enough to force him to counterattack over the long term. It might be Java or New Guinea, or it might be northern Oz (Broome, Derby, Exmouth) or it might be the Gilberts (yet again). It'll have to be somewhere within "shooting range" of Oz, since I've spent two month concentrating ships and troops there. There are lots of options and the final decisions might not be made for another six weeks or so.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4515
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 9:53:53 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

3. He's taken it on the chin in the air war (losing 3k more aircraft than the Allies to date).

Is that still true after the massive bombardments of Sabang? I was under the impression that the aircraft losses there are substantial, and your remaining pools seem to be pretty small.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4516
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/15/2016 9:56:32 PM   
Canoerebel

Before the bombardments began, the Allies had a 3k advantage in aircraft losses (at that time it was 6k to 9k). Today the difference is exactly the same, 7.4k to 10.4k, though obviously the ratio has lowered. The Allies suffered some important losses that will take awhile to recover from, especially F4Fs and P40Ks.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4517
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 12:19:07 AM   
CaptBeefheart

That's a great story. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4518
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 1:32:24 AM   
Canoerebel

3/26/43

Battle of Sumatra:The enemy will be moving up the coast road at four days per hex plus one day to dislodge the picket RCT. By my reckoning, 10th Div. will reach the roadblock hex (with tank unit and 1st Marine Div.) in 9 days. The marines are currently at 268 AV and recovering steadily from a pounding it took near Medan two months back. It'll be defending a jungle rough hex, so I'm hoping it can hold against four divisions, though that might be asking too much.

Supply at Sabang is 210k; probably enough to hold out about two more months. So there will come a time when the Allies will have to bring in supply to sustain the lodgement, but I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. A lot could happen over two months.

A long time back, I suggested that the key would be whether the Allies still held Sabang in usable condition on April 1, when Hellcats come online. The Allies will hold Sabang, it will have gracious plenty supply and defenders, but the airfield is in bad shape and consistently pulverized. For a time it's sufficient just to tie down the KB and Japanese BBs. But once the Hellcats are available, I'll look for opportunities to change the paradigm. I have some ideas, but there are no guarantees conditions will be favorable. Again, though, two months is a lot of time for things to change, for opportunities to present, and for Friction to visit. It's been awhile since Friction has smiled.

SoPac: An IJN sub sank the xAKL at Vaitupu and then an AVP coming to handle PBYs.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 4519
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 5:16:39 AM   
JohnDillworth

Thanks for the history lesson Dan. Had the pleasure of visiting Charleston/Savannah late last year so I saw that part of the country foe the first time. now I have a bit of context.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4520
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 1:24:34 PM   
Canoerebel

John, I've only been to the northeast once. That was for a big family camping trip in 2003 to Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont, and included a day in Manhatten. We had a blast and found the people - from big city to small town - friendly. We returned with the feeling that we would have been very content to live in Bath, New Hampshire, or Taunton, Massachusetts, or wherever, had life taken us there.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4521
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 1:45:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Sitting in the driver's seat as Captain America, focusing on the game from my perspective, I sometimes forget what the game looks like from John's perspective and from the perspective of the esteemed Peanut Gallery. When I paused yesterday to consider things that way it made me smile.

Since we resumed the game beginning January 3, 1943, the Allies have been absorbing one punch after another (with occasional jabs back, but mainly just getting pummeled). When I think of it that way, I understand better why John would be feeling good and how reading my AAR must be tough if you're pulling for the Allies. Every day it's the same thing: "Japan pummels Sumatra; no sign of immennt enemy invasion; I'm trying to hold on until something good happens some day. It will. Oh, I just feel certain it has to."

I am unfazed by what's going on since I knew this was in the cards when we resumed the game. I knew the Allies would have to dig in, fight a retreating and dealying campaign, and try to hold on into spring or summer before I'd be in a position to resume the offensive. So none of this is particularly alarming from my perspective.

But from John's perspective, and for the readers of the AARs, it's been an uninterrupted period of Japanese attacks.

Things would have been quite different if the Allied fighter pools been somewhat competitive. In that case, the Allies would have been able to protect the fields better, bring in more strike aircraft to hit enemy fields and ships, and save the F4Fs for the carriers, permitting me to use my carriers offensively. But the meager pools - so incredibly disparate - forced me to bring the F4Fs to Sabang and to fight mainly defensively.

The disparity has been addressed by later tweaks to the Mod, but those tweaks don't apply retroactively and thus haven't helped me in this game. John thought they did. I think he still is under the impression that the Aliled fighter production was beefed up considerably.

John ought to be chagrined by his performance in this game rather than strutting about shouting "Banzai!" He left gaping holes in his defenses and patrols, allowing he Allies to land eight divisions or so undetected in his heartland in the autumn of 1942. The Allies have held that lodgement pretty strongly for 4.5 months now and will hold it at least another month or two. Japan has brought everything to bear and still hasn't been able to eradicate this in a timely fashion. This is John's mod with enhanced ships (especially for Japan) and a dramatic disparity in fighter pools, yet almost the entire game he's been reacting to Allied moves, fighting to recover places he had lost. He's expanded far less than most Japanese players do, especially experienced players, especially players using their own mod design, and especially in today's AE world where usually Japan invades India or Oz or Hawaii in strength. John's been able to accomplish none of those things.

I understand the "Banzai!" perspective when focusing solely on the Sumatra campaign of January through March 1943. But overall, the Allies have done well to this date. I feel pretty good about where things stand and where I'll go from here.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4522
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 1:58:29 PM   
poodlebrain

Assuming worst case, that you lose your foothold on Sumatra in 30 days, you will still determine the next battlefield in the game, and the geography should be much more to your liking from the perspective of proximate supporting bases. You will be able to force more encounters, another way of saying increase friction, on terms more favorable to you. This should result in more rapid casualties for the Japanese that they cannot replace while you are receiving massive reinforcements. You are in excellent position to win the game, and you should feel very good about where things stand.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4523
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 1:59:30 PM   
Lecivius

I've always thought you've done well. Far better than I would have. And my gut burns for those guys in Sumatra I even got a feeling of Cartwheel in the Far East last night as I pondered it while helping a cub scout troop build derby cars.

And if you ever come west, I'll take you back so far in the mountains you will see places God forgot

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4524
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 2:26:09 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

John, I've only been to the northeast once. That was for a big family camping trip in 2003 to Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont, and included a day in Manhatten. We had a blast and found the people - from big city to small town - friendly. We returned with the feeling that we would have been very content to live in Bath, New Hampshire, or Taunton, Massachusetts, or wherever, had life taken us there.

Well this was the first of many scouting trips to warmer climates. Mrs. D is still not 100% on board but in the coming years I do wish to leave the Northeast winters behind. Charleston is wonderful, obviously, Savannah looks like it has had some hard times but is emerging (gentrifying) quickly into something special. Once I got out of the City center I found it utterly charming.
I also had the opportunity to visit Magnolia and Bonaventure Cemeteries. If you haven't been, you should. The Confederate section of Magnolia cemetery is deeply moving. The city of Charleston made some great efforts to bring their sons home. to see stones with just names and dates, knowing full well what those dates probably meant (many stones from the first week of July 1863) truly touched me

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 2/16/2016 3:28:22 PM >

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4525
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 2:33:00 PM   
Canoerebel

3/27/43

Battle of Sumatra: Japan pummels Sumatra; no sign of immennt enemy invasion; I'm trying to hold on until something good happens some day. It will. Oh, I just feel certain it has to

Post #: 4526
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 2:37:40 PM   
Canoerebel

3/27/43 (Actual Report)

Battle of Sumatra: Actually, the faux report is pretty accurate. Kongos bombard Sabang, tearing up the airfield and not touching supply or ground troops. (I assume John thinks, with good reason, that these bombardments are ripping suppy and combat power to shreds, which is why I had expected him to invade.) Invasion of the last Allied island holding, east of Sabang. That base is out of supply so will fold immediately. ("Banzai!")

SigInt shows 12th Division inbound to Medan. It might march across the island to reinforce the west road campaign, but I'm wondering if John will take a stab at the Allied stack a hex south of Langsa. That's jungle (2x) terrain with 1000 AV, most of it behind three forts. I think it might take six divisions to break through in timely fashion?

I think KB may have vacated the area. Patrols don't show it, which is nothing new since my PBYs are about gone, but there is no "host" of carrier aircraft suppressing Allied subs. I'll continue to monitor and then begin to probe with some ships.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4527
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 2:44:03 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

...Well this was the first of many scouting trips to warmer climates. Mrs. D is still not 100% on board but in the coming years I do wish to leave the Northeast winters behind. Charleston is wonderful, obviously, Savannah looks like it has had some hard times but is emerging (gentrifying) quickly into something special. Once I got out of the City center I found it utterly charming. ...

The coastal Deep South is lovely in the winter except on the occasions when it's windy and cold and wet. Savannah, for instance, is probably great five or six days out of seven in January.

But the coast Deep South in summer is another proposition entirely. Ouch!

It gets cold down here, by our standards, but the daylight hours are considerably longer so that even in the dead of winter we get 9.5 hour of sunlight a day. That's enough to allow me to go on very long hikes if I feel like it. And usually I do. Winter is gorgeous in the mountains. Not because of snow. We seldom get it. But the woods are still and majestic with great views that aren't present in summer. Plus, wintertime cold = free air conditioning. I don't perspire like I do in the summer.

Post #: 4528
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 2:44:09 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

3/27/43 (Actual Report)

I think KB may have vacated the area. Patrols don't show it, which is nothing new since my PBYs are about gone, but there is no "host" of carrier aircraft suppressing Allied subs. I'll continue to monitor and then begin to probe with some ships.

Some Carriers begin their upgrades 4/43.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4529
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 2:45:44 PM   
Canoerebel

Is there a preferred place for IJN carries to upgrade? Singers is probably out of the question due to proximity to Sabang. Hong Kong might be for the same reason (proximity to 4EB from Chungking). So where does John go? Manila? Home Islands?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/16/2016 3:47:01 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4530
Page:   <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI