Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What's next for Codeforce?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What's next for Codeforce? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/15/2016 7:36:39 PM   
ASHBERY76

There is no way a little dev can waste development time for something that only 2.5% will play.Comparing 4x to an RTS is about a silly as using COD Mp as an example.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 2/15/2016 8:37:53 PM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 31
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/15/2016 8:19:45 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

There is no way a little dev can waste development time for something that only 2.5% will play.Comparing 4x to an RTS is about a silly as using COD Mp as an example.

100% agree with the first statement.

but, to better understand, what you mean with "COD Mp" ???

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 32
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/15/2016 8:22:08 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

Call of Duty MultiPlayer..

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 33
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/15/2016 10:09:19 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

only 2.5% will play

Source? as long as we're making stuff up I say 50%.

Post #: 34
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/16/2016 2:19:08 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Have you ever heard of Steam? yes, it sells games.. there are how many people on Steam??

And there is this thing called "community hub" in steam.. that lets you see how many players there are in a game.. have a look at the tabs next time if you want statistics..

because last time I checked, there are well over 1200 people playing the most stupid games ever created.. like Mitosis and it's free by the way.. imagine if they charged for that. (and I think you can buy stuff inside the game and that's how they make money.)

its multiplayer. your a blob.. in 2d.. and eat blobs..

But that's not the point, the point is that have you seen this picture in the Discussions forum for Distant Worlds in Steam? and that's 71 x $60 ( and you know there is much more, but they just don't post on steam.. )

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/16/2016 3:56:59 AM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 35
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/16/2016 7:21:26 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Multiplayer isn't hard to implement and takes no special balance but I think in dwu case it would have to be a client/server model with one player acting as host doing all game calculations and the others basically running a terminal program so they can connect to the server and play. Not particularly easy tasks but it's more work and fiddling than actual innovation so it's a time issue mostly and time is money in software development much like any other business. So can they do it? Sure. Will they do it? That's up to the guys in the suits and their cost analysis minions.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 36
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/16/2016 7:29:23 AM   
Blabsawaw22

That's all somebody needed to say, and kinda was said, in the other post, where we all started fighting about it...

anyway.. its pointless now, they Already Started DW2 and you know they already decided whether not to include Multiplayer already by now.. as that would have had to be discussed before work started on DW2... (they just aren't giving any info)

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/17/2016 4:27:36 AM >

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 37
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/16/2016 8:37:20 PM   
HerpInYourDerp

Nearly 10 years on, GalCiv2 still doesn't have MP and Stardock has substantially more resources. Plus, using a single host/multiple clients system would just exacerbate one of the DW:U game-engine's fundamental problems - it's completely dependent on CPU power for literally everything as it is in post-XP machines and performance suffers substantially as the system gets larger and more populated.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 38
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/16/2016 9:20:07 PM   
Retreat1970

Please, let's end this multiplayer debate. Some of us want it, some don't. No one is right, no one is wrong. Matrix is making the game they want or can, and we can't do anything about it. I know it's a passionate topic, but let's bury it.

(in reply to HerpInYourDerp)
Post #: 39
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 12:00:21 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

let's hope that Distant Worlds 2 will be a more greater space-4X than Distant Worlds, multiplayer or not.

if so, they will have my money for sure

Post #: 40
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 3:53:19 AM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

ORIGINAL: HerpInYourDerp

Nearly 10 years on, GalCiv2 still doesn't have MP and Stardock has substantially more resources. Plus, using a single host/multiple clients system would just exacerbate one of the DW:U game-engine's fundamental problems - it's completely dependent on CPU power for literally everything as it is in post-XP machines and performance suffers substantially as the system gets larger and more populated.

I promise my last post about multiplayer..

The fundamental problems of Elliot's choice to use a certain Game-Engine is his own Fundamental fault.. ha.

Whatever, Distant Worlds worked and we all play it..

I'm pretty sure all other games use a ton of more CPU power than Distant Worlds.. but I won't get into that.

meanwhile, Stardock which you mention, even talks about things like this in their annual report:
(Whether you hate Galac Civ III or not.) See below picture..

My final word. Elliot! Please consider using resources in 2016 to help fund DW2! (and use a better game-engine..)

Nitrous Oxide perhaps!? http://www.oxidegames.com/nitrous/

As much as I complain and bi@cht.. I still play the game and have fun most of the time.

*This was from 2014 Annual Report from Stardock

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/17/2016 4:57:47 AM >

(in reply to HerpInYourDerp)
Post #: 41
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 7:29:38 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

well, now that the discussion about Multiplayer is definitely buried we have to find some other Distant Worlds 2 topic to discuss..

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 42
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 7:39:53 PM   
Retreat1970

How is Gal Civ 3? I hear an expansion is out for it tomorrow. I'm on a fixed income so I can't "try" games for 30-50 bucks.

Post #: 43
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 8:13:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

Let me assure you all that we have been very busy for the last year or so working on the next Distant Worlds project. I can't say more about it yet, but I'm sure it will knock your socks off once we have it ready to show.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 44
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 8:20:19 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Let me assure you all that we have been very busy for the last year or so working on the next Distant Worlds project. I can't say more about it yet, but I'm sure it will knock your socks off once we have it ready to show.

these precise words are the words I dreamed to read in my yesterday night dreams

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 45
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 8:34:28 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

How is Gal Civ 3? I hear an expansion is out for it tomorrow. I'm on a fixed income so I can't "try" games for 30-50 bucks.

I read many bad and so-and-so reviews on it both from critics and users, mainly concerning the higly defective "rock-scissors-paper" combat system.

I own both "Gal-Civ 1" and "Gal-Civ 2" with all the expansions, I somewhat played them but I never feel to be conquered by them, although I cannot precisely describe why..

anyway here you can find a good review from one of my favourite Space & Sci-Fi web source:

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2015/07/galactic-civilizations-iii-review/

Post #: 46
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 9:52:04 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

but I'm sure it will knock your socks off

I'm sure there was a Myth Busters episode that proved you can't knock socks off (even with explosives).

Post #: 47
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/17/2016 10:20:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I'm sure there was a Myth Busters episode that proved you can't knock socks off (even with explosives).

Ah, but they did not try Distant Worlds!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 48
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 1:27:48 AM   
Retreat1970

I found a leaked DW2 photo online. The 3d is amazing, and it's multiplayer too!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 2:34:11 AM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

OK .. what this means is that they went 3d and tons of more fighting.. haha.. thanks Erik for letting us know..

What else would "knock your socks off" if it wasn't 3d and more war craziness with things like ground wars now.. (well I don't know if they added ground wars.. but we will see..)

You all can thank me now for my rants and raves.. because now it got Erik Rutins to actually post here..

your welcome.. your welcome..

Post #: 50
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 2:43:06 AM   
Retreat1970

Ya but did he reply to your post? Didn't think so.

I don't know how he does it since he's so busy shredding...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Rutan

Post #: 51
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 2:51:26 AM   
balto

Whoa, I just got an erection. If you can give us an approximate date I might experience a 'happy ending.'

Post #: 52
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 2:55:00 AM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

Let me assure you all that we have been very busy for the last year or so

Actually he did reply to me.. and you.. and everyone else.. read the beginning again haha.

The scary thing is that if they have been working over a year ago, that means they already decided what engine and things to incorporate .... ehh...

Post #: 53
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 3:08:09 AM   
Retreat1970

They say they've been working a year. They probably got together last week and said, "DW forums are yelling about content, you wanna do something?" "Ya, lets write some cryptic posts about DW2 that'll shut em up." "Should we maybe work on programming DW2?" "Nah, today's a spa day, and next week I'll be trolling the Golden Girls forum 24/7 I have no time."

Post #: 54
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 3:13:26 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

mhhhh.. Space Empires from GMT..

well, obviously not good as DW, 1 or 2, but anyway a very good space 4X boardgame

Post #: 55
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 4:20:16 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

Nah - looks like a late beta of Dawn of Andromeda. Considering their previous gem, Lords of the Black Sun - it would be an improvement.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Post #: 56
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 9:43:43 AM   
Icemania

quote:

I've been playing Gal Civ 3 plenty, see my Gal Civ 3 Review. I recommend it, but with some significant cautions.

To avoid derailing this thread, there is a very active discussion over at the eXplorminate Forums, recent posts discuss the coming expansion. Probably the biggest shock was the AI, which remains light years behind Gal Civ 2 e.g. when the Precursor DLC was released the AI had no idea whatsoever how to use the new content. I've been posting to highlight issues (e.g. winning Godlike on a Huge map in 36 turns just by focusing on alliances) and even after providing save games (not to mention all the Metaverse data they collect) as evidence, had the pleasure of being accusing of cheating (specifically modifying xml's) by the Stardock CEO, so I published a Strategy Guide showing how anyone can do it which so far has been ignored.

To bring it back to Distant Worlds, one of the problems in both Distant Worlds and Gal Civ III is that the diplomacy systems are both excessively exploitable, and by that I mean they totally break the game. There are no caps to limit exploitation like say Endless Legend. To me diplomacy was the weakest part of Distant Worlds in the end and I hope it's getting a huge overhaul for Distant Worlds 2.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 2/18/2016 10:48:26 AM >

Post #: 57
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 9:52:12 AM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

To me diplomacy was the weakest part of Distant Worlds in the end and I hope it's getting a huge overhaul for Distant Worlds 2.

Uh.. I agree.. but... uh..

wasn't the not being able to actually play large scale games or late-games without this crashing and the AI still ... not being AI or doing it's "thing" with all the empires and ships of a 1400 Star galaxy, - the whole reason for this game?? that is what is the "weakest" part of Distant Worlds... and they need to fix.

Distant Worlds would be the "best" 4x Strategy game if I could see the AI actually not be retarded controlling my 50+ fleets and 600+ships with 50+ systems and 17 other empires.. without crashing or taking 10 minutes to save and load..

come to think of it more.. wasn't automation and the private sector the selling point and big pushes with this game??

and after how many patches did the private sector and automation actually seem to come together??

anybody remember the massive resource shortages.. and lack of private sector!? ha..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/18/2016 10:59:06 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 58
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 11:59:00 AM   
Bingeling

It is great to get some feedback and a hype injection :)

What caught my eye with this game, was the private sector. It was a local gaming site having a quite positive review of the original, and I doubt I would have stumbled across this game without that. I do not consider myself a 4X fan, but a complex real time strategy game, in real time, and with a living galaxy...

Keep in mind that the original had a 700 star 10x10 galaxy, there was no research tree (research was automated somehow, I forget), and the game has expanded and improved quite a lot since that. Never mind that I enjoyed the original too (but got properly hooked from the first expansion). Save times were probably more modest back then due to fewer objects, and the game probably crashed before you got that far...

Post #: 59
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 1:28:14 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

see my Gal Civ 3 Review

Thanks for the link.

quote:

without crashing or taking 10 minutes to save and load.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't had a crash for a long, long time. I trust it so much I don't autosave anymore. The save times (when I save), are pretty long though.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What's next for Codeforce? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI