Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/19/2016 2:32:01 AM   
crsutton

I got to spend the last week in New Orleans and spent almost a whole day at the fine WWII Memorial Museum. I highly recommend that you put it on your bucket list if you have not been. My favorite exhibit was the 20mm German aircraft cannon that a GI pulled out of a crashed FW 190. He then disassembled the cannon and mailed it home in pieces along with instruction on how to reassemble it. How could any nation think they could defeat a nation with men such as this? Here is a shot of the cannon donated to the museum by his heirs.

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/19/2016 8:01:02 AM   
obvert

Great story. Last year I went to a museum in the Ardennes. Lots of similar small stories with objects. I often like the smaller museums for this kind of stuff.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/19/2016 1:59:13 PM   
dr.hal

Living in the area now, the WWII museum was a must. When I was there they had an outside display of FULLY operational equipment that was really interesting, a M-3 and M-4 tank, jeep and individual arms carried by period dressed individuals. Seeing inside a M-3 tank was very enlightening to say the least. So I fully support crsutton's claim that this should be on your bucket list!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/19/2016 2:16:42 PM   
dave sindel

I was able to visit this museum a couple years ago. I heartily endorse crsutton and dr hal's opinions. Definitely a "must see" if you can.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/19/2016 2:49:18 PM   
crsutton

Best part of the whole deal. The ticket agent asked me if I was current military or retired. I told her no but that I was a former merchant seaman. That got me about a 1/2 price discount on the admission. To add a kicker they have a great exhibit on the merchant marine during the war. It was the best deal since "government cheese."

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 5
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/19/2016 6:47:40 PM   
geofflambert

I had a friend who worked on barge tows on the Mississippi. I was surprised to learn that you had to enter the Merchant Marine to do that.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/20/2016 2:08:12 AM   
KMCCARTHY

I went in 2006 when it was the D-Day Museum. I have to go again (we live in MD)

Four other great ones:

1) Central Armed Forces Museum in Moscow Russia (2007). Stunning and the best I ever saw, even though I can not speak or read Russian.
2) The USMC Museum just north of Quantico VA (2008)
3) The Airborne & Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, NC (2006?)
4) The 8th Airforce Museum oin Georgia next to I-95 (2006?)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/20/2016 3:51:17 AM   
crsutton

Actually if I had to pick a favorite it is the US Navy Museum located at the Navy Yard in Washington DC. Not only is is a great museum but parts of the Navy Yard itself date back to the War of 1812. It is a quirky, old time museum without the bells and whistles of the new ones. But better in a way. Especially if you love ships.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to KMCCARTHY)
Post #: 8
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/20/2016 9:17:21 AM   
KMCCARTHY

Thanks I'll go. My wife is retired out of the Chair Force and actually enjoys military musesms

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/22/2016 12:01:34 AM   
aspqrz02

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMCCARTHY
1) Central Armed Forces Museum in Moscow Russia (2007). Stunning and the best I ever saw, even though I can not speak or read Russian.
2) The USMC Museum just north of Quantico VA (2008)
3) The Airborne & Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, NC (2006?)
4) The 8th Airforce Museum in Georgia next to I-95 (2006?)

Yes the Russian Armed Forces Museum is great! Saw it in 2003 ... if you're a history buff, most of the displays are easy enough to grasp.

If you're in St Petersburg, the Museum of the Defence of Leningrad is worth visiting as well ...

I heartily concur about both the USMC and 8th AF Museums.

If you're in the SW, the Pima Air and Space Museum outside of Tucson is amazing (and if you have the time ... sadly, I didn't ... the Boneyard tour is supposed to be as good or better).

If you're down in Oz, and you visit Canberra (mostly unmemorable for overseas visitors ... or so they think), then the Australian War Memorial Museum is really good, especially with the new Aircraft Gallery (which holds G for George, a WW2 Lancaster, amongst other things).

And the Imperial War Museum in London (and, of course, Duxford) and the RAF Museum are great if you're over the pond.

In France, the Invalides Army Museum (Paris) is fantastic ... and, though I never saw it, the Armour/Tank Museum at Saumur is supposed to be fantastic as well.

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to KMCCARTHY)
Post #: 10
RE: OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. - 2/22/2016 6:19:20 AM   
KMCCARTHY

Thanks. Russia is not on the return list. I transited through Moscow in 2012, ugly.

My bucket list includes the walk in Normandy and Holland.

A/3/325.

Cheers.

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-Trip to the WWII Museum in New Orleans. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI