Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mode off!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mode off! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mode off! - 2/21/2016 2:17:51 AM   
dhhd

My first playthrough as Germans I had easy mode on. With easy mode off, it is ... less easy. It's the beginning of July and already I've had one event where I had to strip truck columns to keep the fuel moving.

With less trucks and trains, I've got a lot less fuel to play around with.

What are some ways to maximize the use I get out of the fuel I have? I'm already carefully checking the fuel consumption to get to different hexes, and am using the free "breakthrough" moves after a successful combat as much as possible.

Thought: I've been using 2 divs (pz and mot) as a striking force - is using 3 instead of 2 a better idea, because I get more out of the free moves that way?

Additionally, what are the best ways to maximize my truck and train capabilities?
Post #: 1
RE: Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mo... - 2/21/2016 3:23:03 AM   
mikeCK

I try to pick my route of advance (pz gruppe) along good roads...usually a railroad. Not exact but so long as the HQ is close then it's less wear on the trucks. Off road work beats them up. So keep an eye on the HQ location

(in reply to dhhd)
Post #: 2
RE: Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mo... - 2/21/2016 4:07:03 AM   
budd

dont leave them in blitz mode any longer than you have too, i try to switch early.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 3
RE: Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mo... - 2/21/2016 10:58:59 PM   
ChuckBerger

Panzer divisions use a LOT more fuel than Motorized divisions, so your rule of thumb (when fuel is tight) should be: attack using leg infantry whenever you can, Motorized divisions as your workhorses, and Panzers only when you really need them.

The "free" breakthrough moves after combat are good to keep your PzGs moving quickly through a breakthrough hex - but they don't really save you any fuel. You're still paying the fuel on a per-AP basis, and after the combat you are presumably still using much or all of the unit's AP in post-combat breakthrough movement.

Other rules to save fuel:

1) switch to sustained offensive
2) Don't use any APs unnecessarily, don't move units around just because they can, make sure every moves contributes to your near-term operational objective.
3) Keep HQ on a road or rail, and as close to the FSB as you can without putting guys out of command range (unless you really need a high command bonus for particular troops).
4) Use motorized divisions for the tasks that require greatest movement and combat, try to keep panzers a bit more compact around the HQ - all other things being equal.
5) Look at your theatre logistics reports, train and truck reports every turn, to get a feel for how the various decisions and inputs are actually affecting fuel delivery.
6) Airdrops are good for smoothing fuel flow during a FSB transition, especially early game. But they don't get you any extra fuel, they simply draw from the next turn's deliveries, so be clear why you're using a fuel drop-
7) Don't attack just because you can, make sure your attacks are best designed to minimise fuel use. For instance, rather than "pushing" a defending division up a rail line using 2-4 consecutive attacks on the same unit, consider one attack from a direction that shoves it off to the side, where leg infantry can deal with it later, while your PzG can continue unobstructed up the rail line.
8) As with all rules, don't be afraid to disregard any/all of these depending on the situation!

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Maximizing fuel use/it's hard when you turn easy mode off! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI