Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  156 157 [158] 159 160   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 5:09:43 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

So while most of the combat action and AAR activity for the past three months has focused almost exlusively on Sumatra, there's been a great deal of work going into the next phase of the war.

It's not only what has been happening elsewhere that is being overlooked. It is also what hasn't happened, hasn't been happening, and shouldn't happen as a result of what the AAR has been focused on. The Japanese didn't expand as much as they would have otherwise. The Japanese didn't transport the men and supplies committed to the Battle of Sumatra to other forward bases, and those bases did not have those resources for development. Future efforts by the Japanese to transport the resources for developing those bases will most likely be better contested by the Allies. The forces dedicated to the Battle of Sumatra were not used to interfere with Allied base development, and their opportunity to do so has decreased. Thus they will face a stronger Allied enemy from weaker positions when the inevitable Allied offensive operations begin in earnest.

At the conclusion of the Battle of Sumatra, the Japanese may have 10+ divisions and transports available, but they will have to fight their ways to the front. There are no guarantees they will make it in time to successfully counter Allied operations.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4711
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 5:23:15 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I just wanted to be sure you new in this mod that was not the whole KB out there, and predicated your plans on it. I didn't want you to get bushwhacked. Sounds like you have a plan. I'll go back to watching the show

P.S.

I hope it's OK I use your name. I saw it from Johns AAR's a long time ago. I'm taking liberties here.

Actually, he prefers "Dan-O" and listens to the old Hawaii Five-O theme song while playing AE and dreaming of belly dancers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkrQXuDq24

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4712
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 5:24:45 PM   
poodlebrain

It's been a while since you've discussed the status of your air forces. They are not being used in the Battle of Sumatra, and you haven't mentioned any ongoing campaigns elsewhere. So it is safe to assume you have been husbanding your forces in preparation for future operations. Can you clue us in on the statuses of your available aircraft types, replacement pools and pilot training efforts? I want to get some appreciation of the size and quality of your air forces in anticipation of Circus.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 4713
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 5:25:48 PM   
witpqs

The video version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4714
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 5:37:08 PM   
Lecivius

I'm a hillbilly. Sometimes it's not polite to call people by their name without being introduced

Anyways, back to the action!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4715
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 5:54:03 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Originally - from D-Day on November 10 through the end of February 1943, the Japanese couldn't invade Sabang due to mines and combat ships.

Any chance of re-seeding the minefields with 4E bombers?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4716
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 6:03:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I'm a hillbilly. Sometimes it's not polite to call people by their name without being introduced

Anyways, back to the action!

Moved to Arizona a few years ago. The barber I went to for a few years was very nice and gave me some info to help acquaint me with the area. Among it was that, unlike many other places, in Arizona it's considered impolite to ask a persons name if they don't offer it. She explained that it has roots in the old west tradition where many people who had got into a little trouble elsewhere came here for a new start!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4717
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 6:15:12 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Yeah, it's fine to use my name, "Dan." Or you can just call me "Esquire," "Your Honor," or "Your Eminence."

Any of those are fine. :)

Don't forget "El Supremo." Always has been one of my favorites...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4718
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 6:28:39 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I just wanted to be sure you new in this mod that was not the whole KB out there, and predicated your plans on it. I didn't want you to get bushwhacked. Sounds like you have a plan. I'll go back to watching the show

P.S.

I hope it's OK I use your name. I saw it from Johns AAR's a long time ago. I'm taking liberties here.

Actually, he prefers "Dan-O" and listens to the old Hawaii Five-O theme song while playing AE and dreaming of belly dancers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkrQXuDq24

You could do worse in life!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4719
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 6:44:42 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

quote:

So while most of the combat action and AAR activity for the past three months has focused almost exlusively on Sumatra, there's been a great deal of work going into the next phase of the war.

It's not only what has been happening elsewhere that is being overlooked. It is also what hasn't happened, hasn't been happening, and shouldn't happen as a result of what the AAR has been focused on. The Japanese didn't expand as much as they would have otherwise. The Japanese didn't transport the men and supplies committed to the Battle of Sumatra to other forward bases, and those bases did not have those resources for development. Future efforts by the Japanese to transport the resources for developing those bases will most likely be better contested by the Allies. The forces dedicated to the Battle of Sumatra were not used to interfere with Allied base development, and their opportunity to do so has decreased. Thus they will face a stronger Allied enemy from weaker positions when the inevitable Allied offensive operations begin in earnest.

At the conclusion of the Battle of Sumatra, the Japanese may have 10+ divisions and transports available, but they will have to fight their ways to the front. There are no guarantees they will make it in time to successfully counter Allied operations.

This is overly optimistic. Playing Japan I can tell you that at no time in 43-44 did I stress about resources, and I have been very active in multiple theatres, probably over-building defenses and infrustructure, and in the longest game made it into mid-45 before I felt the pinch. That was largely due to strat bombing of the HI. That requires that the Allies make good progress toward being in B-29 range of the HI by late 44 at least, and probably also working on other industry in the DEI and China beforehand.

So there are a lot of "ifs" involved in arguing that this has been too much of a strain on the Japanese position during this game. Many very good Japanese players choose not to have an extended Empire so as not to expend resources/fuel/supply and prefer the more constricted historical Japanese positions for a more solid, flexible and mobile defense.

No idea what John III's defenses are like, but I know there is nothing I've seen in the development of this game that would indicate they "should" be weak. In fact in this mod with it's plethora of tough CD guns (enough for nearly every major and many minor targets) and other additions, the Allied movement forward may involve more of a tithe than usually experienced.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 4720
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 8:22:07 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That's better than "Lieutenant Dan."

(Some friends do call me Dan-O or Lieutenant Dan on occasion, so I don't mind.)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4721
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 8:25:07 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

It's been a while since you've discussed the status of your air forces. They are not being used in the Battle of Sumatra, and you haven't mentioned any ongoing campaigns elsewhere. So it is safe to assume you have been husbanding your forces in preparation for future operations. Can you clue us in on the statuses of your available aircraft types, replacement pools and pilot training efforts? I want to get some appreciation of the size and quality of your air forces in anticipation of Circus.

The 4EB make occasional appearances in Burma and Oz. But mainly I've been rebuilding the fighter squadrons and pools. The P-40K squadrons with elite pilots are at full strenth, as are two Corsair squadrons and one P-38G squadron. If I get a good window to insert the fighters into Sabang (meaning, the airfield is operational and combat ships are there to protect vs. bombardment), the Allies can win the air war. Heck, they were winning the first time (until bombardments shut down the field). Now that Hellcats are available the Allies would turn Sabang and then Langsa into offensive outposts. 135 fighters a month is so much more to work with than the F4F numbers.

Post #: 4722
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 8:26:25 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Any chance of re-seeding the minefields with 4E bombers?

No, no airfields close enough. I do use subs on occasion, but John is using MSWs at all forward places with impunity since I have combat ships or bombers in the area.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4723
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 8:38:25 PM   
Canoerebel

This is a bipolar discussion, not only this AAR specifically, but the AE forum in general. So much is said about starving Japan for oil and crashing the economy and the like. But it seems pretty hard to do. And it seems like the effects are only felt pretty late in the game. So I operate on the assumption that Japan will be strong through '43 and '44 so that I'm going to have to bear down and dig John out and stomp him flat.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4724
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 8:55:56 PM   
Lecivius

I kind of tend to agree. So much is said for running the Japanese economy off the rails. But the only times I have seen it done is by someone not familiar with it's limitations. Otherwise all I see are more advanced Japanese aircraft, in greater numbers (as long as someone does not go hog wild). But I have never played the Japanese side, so until I walk a mile in those shoes...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4725
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 10:03:15 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This is overly optimistic. Playing Japan I can tell you that at no time in 43-44 did I stress about resources, and I have been very active in multiple theatres, probably over-building defenses and infrustructure, and in the longest game made it into mid-45 before I felt the pinch. That was largely due to strat bombing of the HI. That requires that the Allies make good progress toward being in B-29 range of the HI by late 44 at least, and probably also working on other industry in the DEI and China beforehand.

So there are a lot of "ifs" involved in arguing that this has been too much of a strain on the Japanese position during this game. Many very good Japanese players choose not to have an extended Empire so as not to expend resources/fuel/supply and prefer the more constricted historical Japanese positions for a more solid, flexible and mobile defense.

No idea what John III's defenses are like, but I know there is nothing I've seen in the development of this game that would indicate they "should" be weak. In fact in this mod with it's plethora of tough CD guns (enough for nearly every major and many minor targets) and other additions, the Allied movement forward may involve more of a tithe than usually experienced.

There may be a Joker in the deck that changes this - the 1,000,000 less starting supply that Japan gets to run the war on. Assuming that needs to be made up, a lot of resources need to be hauled (15 for each LI supply point, or 20 + fuel for each 2 HI supply points). That is going to tie up a lot of xAKs.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4726
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 10:15:14 PM   
Canoerebel

Regarding the Allied carriers and current state of the fighter squadron, let me put it this way. About two weeks ago game-time (late March?), the KB (or strong subset thereof) was posted about eight hexes south of Diego, as I reported in detail. I wondered if it was a raid or possibly an invasion.

The Allied carriers were present and positioned to strike if it was an invasion, especially if the KB took a protective position just north of Diego. At one point, the Death Star and KB were separated by just 19 hexes. I liked the odds because it was close to friendly territory, distant from enemy ports, the Allies probably had slightly more aircraft, and Diego is a level six airfield that I filled with additional fighters and some strike aircraft.

So, the Death Star is fully operational once again.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4727
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 10:37:11 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

So, the Death Star is fully operational once again.

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4728
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2016 11:14:33 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

There may be a Joker in the deck that changes this - the 1,000,000 less starting supply that Japan gets to run the war on. Assuming that needs to be made up, a lot of resources need to be hauled (15 for each LI supply point, or 20 + fuel for each 2 HI supply points). That is going to tie up a lot of xAKs.

Being a million down in supply could hurt. I just checked though and it looks like refineries make supply in addition to fuel in the mod. So the ability to not have strat bombing of oil centers makes it easier to make up for reduced supply, and having Magwe gives more oil than Medan does by a third. He's probably already made up that million from the extra there over what Medan would normally produce (Magwe is usually a write off for Japan, bombed to dust by 43).

I also noticed that Soerabaja has 226 oil in RA, whereas in stock it has 190. Some other oil producing areas have an extra point (i.e. 101 oil at Samarinda) for around 5-7 extra oil production. So the Japanese make up ~131,400/year supply deficit just for the 40 extra oil centers they have in the mod, (plus extra HI). Maybe I'm missing something, but this is just looking into it for a few minutes.

Less supply or less supply production would not require more ships to haul anything. Japan has a finite amount of production, which every good Japanese player knows how to max out. There are also a surplus of freighters. Most good players turn off many later arriving xAK production. Resources are plentiful in China, Manchuria and Sakhalin.

Extending the perimeter always uses more resources, supply, fuel and ships. By not doing that he's helping the economy, even with the emphasis in Sumatra, which is by the way right in Japan's wheelhouse. It's right next to the fuel, right next to some industry, with a wealth of supply being produced at Palembang, Soerabaja, Miri and Balikpapan (1,650 supply/day just from the big refineries). Big ports. Big airfields. He doesn't have to haul much of anything but men to do his work there. He thus saves a ton of supply and fuel fighting in Sumatra rather than fighting in So Pac.

quote:

This is a bipolar discussion, not only this AAR specifically, but the AE forum in general. So much is said about starving Japan for oil and crashing the economy and the like. But it seems pretty hard to do. And it seems like the effects are only felt pretty late in the game. So I operate on the assumption that Japan will be strong through '43 and '44 so that I'm going to have to bear down and dig John out and stomp him flat.

Exactly!

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/25/2016 11:16:54 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4729
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 3:34:44 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

Yeah, it's fine to use my name, "Dan." Or you can just call me "Esquire," "Your Honor," or "Your Eminence."

Any of those are fine. :)

Given your Southern heritage and your Machiavellian misdirection on the invasion site before, how about "Grey Eminence" instead?

Now back to lurking and enjoying the read.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4730
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 3:22:12 PM   
crsutton

Did you really agree to "not" strat bomb oil centers? You are like the Neville Chamberline of WITP AE players. Only, poor Neville thought he had bought a peace treaty. I don't think John ever had that notion in mind.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 4731
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 3:26:03 PM   
paullus99

Despite my pessimistic views of this game, I am looking forward to Canoe proving me wrong & hopefully kicking John's ass all the way back to the Home Islands....anything to get that uber-Jap fanboy to shut the hell up.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4732
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 3:48:32 PM   
Canoerebel

I did agree to the House Rules about no strat bombing until 1944. When the rule was suggested, I didn't think deeply enough. I was thinking John wanted to prevent me from using the tactic of bombing DEI oil centers in '41 and early '42 while the Allies were retiring in the face of Japanese expansion. I just never stopped long enough to think about Magwe and the possibility that the Allies would return to the DEI in late '42.

Perhaps John would agree to a modificaton if I approached him. But I'll be danged if I'll do so. It would be one thing for him to broach the topic, "You know, that House Rule doesn't make sense in these circumstances. Let's modify it." But I'd rather beat him at his own Mod, with more odds stacked in his favor, than come to him with hat in hand to seek concessions.

Regarding one of Obvert's insights, it's true that a Japanese player can work a strategy of maximizing efficiency by not overexpanding the empire. But that's not what happened here. John didn't intentionally limit the empire. Instead, he's just not had the opportunity. He's spent most of '42 and all of '43 trying to put out fires in the Aluetians, Gilberts, SWPac, Burma and Sumatra. He's been running hither and yon, sending his transports, carriers and the Kaigun, back and forth to handle the latest hotspots.

Running around is probably not an efficient way of maximizing efficiency even if it so happens the empire didn't overexpand.

That doesn't mean that his economy's on the ropes, of course. In fact, I doubt it is. As several of us noted yesterday, it's best to assume that the Japanese economy can continued producing ridiculous numbers through 1944 and for all I know into 1948.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/26/2016 3:53:53 PM >

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 4733
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 3:59:49 PM   
Lecivius

To be fair, I think John was thinking on how his economy was short changed in RA. And he has not thought of all the adjustments made since this revision came out. In the end, this has put His Eminence a bit behind the curve ball. But if he pulls it off, John is gonna be pretty embarrassed

I think if you can withstand the coming invasion, you will win the game and provide hilarity at Johns expense. That has to be coming soon, days if not hours. Any news?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4734
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 4:09:29 PM   
Canoerebel

John had a busy day yesterday. I expect a turn sometime today, probably within a few hours. I'll post then.

I agree that an invasion is almost certainly imminent. Any turn now. I've spent the morning thinking about pulling more troops back to Sabang. I may not have time to.

I don't think I can hold Sumatra if John moves quick enough to seal its fate before Circus gets underway and compels him to fight on two fronts. I don't see any way Circus can get going sooner than 30 days. And I doubt Sumatra can survive that long unless John truly prefers a ground campaign over an invasion. In fact, I think I can confidently say that Sumatra will hold out until Circus if John doesn't invade. If he does invade, then I offer no odds - or at least none favorable.

I would be optimal to have John fighting on two fronts at the same time. But if that fails then he will be fighting on at least one front.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4735
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 4:28:21 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

But I'll be danged if I'll do so. It would be one thing for him to broach the topic, "You know, that House Rule doesn't make sense in these circumstances. Let's modify it." But I'd rather beat him at his own Mod, with more odds stacked in his favor, than come to him with hat in hand to seek concessions.

Don't sweat the house rules....you can get yourself in position by 44, not that much lost.

You will have your shots....John seems to like to run his carriers outside of land based search, and that will give you plenty of opportunity to hit him.

But it is a two edged sword....the sooner you sink his big ships, the more fuel he saves for the endgame.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4736
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 5:09:40 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

the sooner you sink his big ships, the more fuel he saves for the endgame.

I would bet that John is ahead of you on that score. Check out Obvert's post above for some numbers: fuel isn't going to be the problem that it was historically.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4737
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 5:26:22 PM   
Lowpe

Captain, That was a tongue in cheek comment....my smiley face didn't show!

Post #: 4738
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 6:10:36 PM   
Canoerebel

4/13/43

Battle of Sumatra: "All quiet on the Sabang front." No invasion today. No detectible evidence of invasion tomorrow (though I'm pretty blind in this theater now.)

The Four Kongos (Kirishima has repaired the torp damage she took a month or so back) hit Langsa. Enemy bombers focus on Langsa and, on the west side of the island, 1st Marine Div. and 18th UK Div. No enemy attacks in either of the two contested hexes.

On the west side, John has three divisions, including 2nd Tank. On the east side, he also has three divisions plus to Army HQ and another HQ with a somewhat different title. (I haven't checked range for IJ HQ units, yet, but I'm wondering if they have sufficient range to reach and influence combat at Sabang, which is five hexes distant.)

No sign of KB today.

Operation Circus: SigIn that 6th Air Division is inbound to Ambon (I think this is a torp-capable HQ unit?). Enemy subs are branching out a bit, with sightings near Brisbane and Suva. I'm monitoring this for Just in Time Reinforcement III-type activity. But I'm satisfied that if it turns in to something like that, I can effectively feint and draw John here while actually moving to reinforce Sumatra in great strength. So, this time, Just in Time Reinforcements shouldn't stop the Allies from moving strongly. It might just shift locations a bit.

SoPac: Over the past two days, John has reclaimed Vitupu and Funafuti, the former not garrisoned the latter with something like 3 AV.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4739
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2016 7:15:12 PM   
Lecivius

Are you thinking on another lvl of fortification? It might slow him down.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4740
Page:   <<   < prev  156 157 [158] 159 160   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  156 157 [158] 159 160   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI