Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Reason not to go to War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Reason not to go to War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Reason not to go to War - 2/27/2016 12:35:49 AM   
KenchiSulla

I'm not a pacifist... but here goes:

Ysselstein... War's effects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7vmp4Of0g

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Reason not to go to War - 2/27/2016 2:53:13 AM   
Footslogger

I also found this Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFZqqFXmiE

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Reason not to go to War - 2/27/2016 3:12:35 AM   
Arnhem44

I had the privilege to visit American, CWGC and German cemeteries a couple of years back and it's interesting to see the subtle differences in the way the war dead are treated by their respective countries

Off the top of my head,
CWGC headstones have the option for the deceased loved ones to put down a line or two at the base of the headstone for that personal touch.
American cemeteries tend to be have more religious overtones, with crosses in place of headstones for the most part.
For me, the German ones were the most threadbare and saddest of the lot, just the name, rank and date of death. And each cross bears up to 4 names, 2 on either side with burials facing each other rather than in the same direction as in the CWGC and US cemeteries.

Another thing I noticed was ages, in the ETO the Allied cemeteries tended towards the younger end of the spectrum with the odd lifer here and there, it was in the Germans ones you could see a lot names in their 30s,40s, even 50s. A result of Volkssturm and a country that was fighting for it's life in the later stages of the war?

My respects to Sir Fabian Ware, he forever changed the way war dead are commemorated.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Reason not to go to War - 2/27/2016 11:55:43 AM   
pmelheck1

I don't think anyone here would be opposed to peace in the slightest. There is certainly no need to apologize for wanting peace. Many of us here are current, former or retired warriors and we know how awful war is. I find the death and destruction vile beyond words but I also find the heights of mans kindness, bravery and innovation just beyond fascinating. Men can rise to highs and fall to lows in war that are literally inconceivable on the drive to work or filling out that report for the boss. The closest thing that comes is our first responder folks and it seems a lot of them come from the military. Pacifism is not bad at all but to me and some others some things are worth fighting and if necessary dying for. Just a short thought on not being a pacifist, sometimes in my contact with folks with no military experience they sometimes have a hard time understanding why we stand on the front line and do what we do.

(in reply to Arnhem44)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Reason not to go to War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI