Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nice work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Nice work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nice work - 2/27/2016 7:33:22 AM   
jascou

Okay, please bear with me...I have been playing for hours, have a serious case of bloodshot eyes and battle fatigue...if this comes across as a ramble, now you know.

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about this title prior to release (could a single programmer really pull this thing off???), but was intrigued nonetheless. Took a risk ... arrgh! $72 Canadian! But WOW ... no regrets. After several hours of play (I wasn't too keen on the interface at first, but now it's second nature), some serious nail-biting and grinding it out through a few slug-fests, I have to say that I'm impressed. I have many wargames on my computer that sit there idle, but I already know that this is the one I will be playing from now on.

I was into ASL about twenty years ago, had a substantial collection, but had to let it go by the wayside due to ... ah...life. I had no idea that TotH follows the ASL sequence of play so closely, and wow, it really comes alive on this platform. For so long, many of us hoped for such a close adaptation, and now, here we are. Kudos to all involved! I'm really looking forward to see what the future brings development-wise. I'm already scanning some of my old Generals and ASL annuals for material that I want to adapt...
Post #: 1
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 9:13:22 AM   
Paullus

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Peter will be really pleased.

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to jascou)
Post #: 2
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 12:22:03 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: jascou

Okay, please bear with me...I have been playing for hours, have a serious case of bloodshot eyes and battle fatigue...if this comes across as a ramble, now you know.

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about this title prior to release (could a single programmer really pull this thing off???), but was intrigued nonetheless. Took a risk ... arrgh! $72 Canadian! But WOW ... no regrets. After several hours of play (I wasn't too keen on the interface at first, but now it's second nature), some serious nail-biting and grinding it out through a few slug-fests, I have to say that I'm impressed. I have many wargames on my computer that sit there idle, but I already know that this is the one I will be playing from now on.

I was into ASL about twenty years ago, had a substantial collection, but had to let it go by the wayside due to ... ah...life. I had no idea that TotH follows the ASL sequence of play so closely, and wow, it really comes alive on this platform. For so long, many of us hoped for such a close adaptation, and now, here we are. Kudos to all involved! I'm really looking forward to see what the future brings development-wise. I'm already scanning some of my old Generals and ASL annuals for material that I want to adapt...

Thanks so much jascou for your kind words...I really appreciate your feedback and support! :)

There are about 44 ASL "like" maps in the mods section of the forum here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4030930

You can easily make a lot ASL scenarios in the game.

Cheers!

Peter

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 2/27/2016 12:58:56 PM >

(in reply to jascou)
Post #: 3
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 2:10:42 PM   
keas66

Hey Jascou , your post is exactly how I feel 150% . Last night I dragged down all my ASL collection from where it had been collecting dust . One day of playing TOTH has completely revived my ASL appetite . Peter , I think the way you have implemented the Sequence of Play is fantastic . Now of course I will be comparing everything I see on the screen with the rule books to find/understand the differences - but it really is an amazing thing you have created here Peter .

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 4
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 6:15:34 PM   
RobearGWJ

Peter, you've really done a good job with this game. You've captured the board game feel, and also somehow put that "just one more turn" function into the AI. That's a rare thing in any game, and you have nailed it here. Congratulations!

(in reply to keas66)
Post #: 5
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 7:15:08 PM   
AlvinS

I have not been this excited about a game since my Steel Panther days. Very good job!

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to RobearGWJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 8:10:59 PM   
sullafelix

All people had to do was to give the game a chance.

Then they would see how very excellent it is.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to AlvinS)
Post #: 7
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 10:49:57 PM   
jascou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

Thanks so much jascou for your kind words...I really appreciate your feedback and support! :)

Hey, you're welcome Peter. I felt it necessary to let you know that your hard work has definitely paid off. I'm a developer myself, and can relate to how grueling the process can be, and how often one wonders if the light at the end of the tunnel will ever appear. ;)

I am pleasantly surprised at how competent the AI is. It makes sound decisions, and definitely punishes (my) sloppy play and pushing one's (my) luck too far. In one game I played, after I opened up on an enemy tank and blew it to hell, I noticed how the other members of its platoon subsequently skirted my range in order to move into a better position. It got pretty hairy from there...

So far, my favorite scenario is Defending Meximiux; playing with fog of war on is a must! Lots of little surprises in that one ;)

quote:

There are about 44 ASL "like" maps in the mods section of the forum here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4030930

You can easily make a lot ASL scenarios in the game.

Cheers!

Peter

Already got 'em! I still need the Deluxe boards -- when I get time, I'll try to get around to adding those, if no one beats me to it. There's a scenario from on of the Generals called "To the Last Man" (Volume 24, number 1) that is one of my favorites, and requires the boards from Streets of Fire. BTW, that scenario requires a couple of the German tanks to be set up immobilized; I haven't delved too deeply into the editor yet, but is that possible?

BTW, I see that you're (possibly) a fellow Canuck! Do you mind if I ask where you are located? I'm in Calgary.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 8
RE: Nice work - 2/27/2016 11:07:19 PM   
Dietrich53

I have a lot of games on the computer but nothing beats this one. Back to the early 80s with a vengance! I can't hardly wait for all the scenarios that will be revived. Dragged my ASL collection from the basement and looking at the scenario binder now!
I will not have the stamina, but maybe somebody can do Red Barrikades? What a feast that will be.

This game will improve over time, no doubt. But it is already a "Classic" right now! Thanks again, Peter!

ASL veteran Dietrich

PS: Would it be possible to have a PDF of the editor choices. I.e. house numer xxx looks like this.... At the moment it is very cumbersome!

(in reply to jascou)
Post #: 9
RE: Nice work - 2/28/2016 8:58:11 AM   
Paullus

Yes you can setup a vehicle as immobilized. There is a box to be ticked when you ad the vehicle.

Great scenario you are choosing. Please share it with us when it is done

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to jascou)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Nice work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI