Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 9:24:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: leethompson

Hi everyone again
Laptop has Win10
12 gig of Ram
AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6 1.8GHz 64
Received my copy of WITP AE updated it to 1.7.11.24 and reviewed this forum.
Added the following:
-f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor into the shortcut
This sped up the game but it is still slower than the old game - any further advice to help speed up the game?
Cheers in advance

What .exe are you addressing in the Target? Make sure it is the game's .exe and not autorun.exe.

(in reply to leethompson)
Post #: 181
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 9:34:17 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Hi everyone again
Laptop has Win10
12 gig of Ram
Added the following:
-f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor into the shortcut
This sped up the game but it is still slower than the old game - any further advice to help speed up the game?
Cheers in advance

What .exe are you addressing in the Target? Make sure it is the game's .exe and not autorun.exe.

Create a shortcut from the game .exe file, then add your switches to the shortcut.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 182
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 10:03:14 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

quote:

quote:

Hi everyone again
Laptop has Win10
12 gig of Ram
Added the following:
Cheers in advance

Create a shortcut from the game .exe file, then add your switches to the shortcut.

You are correct, that is a great way to make a shortcut. But... I am asking leethompson what .exe is actaully named in the Target box of his current shortcut.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 183
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 10:08:05 PM   
leethompson

Cheers
I applied the "-f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor" into the target within the shortcut on my desktop (derived from the installation).
Should I make a new shortcut directly from the exe file?

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 184
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 10:35:37 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Cheers
I applied the "-f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor" into the target within the shortcut on my desktop (derived from the installation).
Should I make a new shortcut directly from the exe file?

Yes, or you can edit the one you have already. If you look at the .exe that is being addressed in the target, and it is something like autorun.exe then it is wrong. The game will run but will not honor all the switches as you want.

(in reply to leethompson)
Post #: 185
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 11:00:13 PM   
leethompson

thanks I will give it a go
Will let you know

WoW - thanks very much - 1000% quicker - Cheers guys - you nailed it!!!!!!!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 186
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/27/2016 7:38:21 PM   
Rayfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rayfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Not really an upgrade issue as such, but my screen keeps trying to go back to my PCs home screen on Windows 10 when running the game.

Anybody else have the same issue or any tips to sort it out?

Its a brand new machine and currently only has this game installed on it, and I'm running Chrome.

Encircled....did you ever get this resolved? Not sure why, but now my machine (windows 10)occasionally goes back to desktop while I'm playing a game. After I click on the game's toolbar icon the game comes back. It's annoying.

It isn't just Win 10. I am running Win 7 and this returning to the desktop started occurring earlier this year and it coincides with flashing lights on my modem, so I presume it is a program communicating with the Internet or reacting to something incoming, like the Anti-Virus intercepting an attempted hack.
Most times it is a minor inconvenience to return to WITP-AE, but when this occurs in the middle of some intense combat replay action ....

If you have Microsoft Downloads enabled, not only do the regular patches get downloaded but they will be installed at a predetermined moment. You will usually be given about a 10 minute warning before the downloads get applied but it is very easy to not notice the warning and thus fail to reschedule the update. Unless rescheduled your computer will be automatically closed down in order to finish installation of the Microsoft updates.

Alfred

Quite true - I usually do see the warning and defer the restart until I can close out of everything running, but have occasionally lost work because of an unexpected restart. The anti-virus program also does this, insisting on a restart ASAP.

However the behaviour I was referring to is just a minimizing of the active WITP-AE screen while nothing visible is happening on the computer (just on the modem). There is no subsequent restart or warning messages. No update messages. And no problem resuming the game or other program with no loss of work.

Anyone fix this issues apart from running the game in window mode? It's annoying but not a game killing issue. Thanks, Ray

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 187
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/27/2016 8:32:50 PM   
admiralT

I installed War in the Pacific Ae on my new computer and it refuses to scroll. I have Windows 10 installed. I noticed that every solution revolves around switches. Until now I have never had to use switches in any other game.
I go to the shortcut and in the target block is "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" and in the start in block is "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition". The run block is Normal window.
I need the help of smarter people.

(in reply to Rayfer)
Post #: 188
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/28/2016 7:29:57 AM   
wdolson

First off all switches are applied to the Quick Start shortcut, never the one that takes you to "autorun.exe". All switches have a dash '-' in front of them, all are separated by spaces, and all go outside the quotes at the end of the command line. Unfortunately every machine is a bit different, so the switches that will work for you are different than what worked for someone else. -w usually helps better with modern monitors and video cards, many have found -deepColor helps with Windows 10, and with multiple core processors, usually something like -cpu1 helps with lag between clicks and something happening.

If you haven't installed the patches, you will have to install at least patch 1 for most of the switches, the latest patch is strongly recommended. Once the patches are installed, you will have a PDF which is a mini-manual update, the switches added for patch 1 are documented in there.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to admiralT)
Post #: 189
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/28/2016 8:41:38 PM   
admiralT

I followed your advise and installed a patch and it improved the situation slightly. However when I put -deepColor
in it wouldn't accept it. I'm not sure where the Quick Start shortcut is or where it is. Here's what I did

right click Pacific icon, clicked on properties and brought up shortcut. I added -deepColor to the start in box

A message poped up: The folder "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition" -deepColor. Specified in the Start in box is not valid. Make sure that the folder
exists and the path is correct.

Bill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 190
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/29/2016 3:38:54 AM   
DOCUP

I have tried all the tricks mentioned here. I want my game to show up full screen. I have tried -f and -w and -wd. Any other ideas. I am having a hard time with a small game window on a big screen.

Help

(in reply to admiralT)
Post #: 191
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/29/2016 5:46:09 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

I have tried all the tricks mentioned here. I want my game to show up full screen. I have tried -f and -w and -wd. Any other ideas. I am having a hard time with a small game window on a big screen.

Help

I want you to do a couple of things. First, go to your shortcut that you are using. Click in the Target box. Type "control-a" to select all of it. Paste that entire thing into your reply. Do not re-type it here: copy & paste it here as I have asked.

The second thing is, tell me about your PC. What is it? Are you running Windows 10 (don't want to assume that just because you posted in this thread!)? What is the video resolution that you normally use? If you are unsure, right-click on your desktop and click on Display Settings. When the Settings window opens, click on Advanced Display Settings and then look at Resolution. The one that is in the box is the one you are currently running. Does it say (Recommended)? Notice that if you click on the box it will display the other choices that you have.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 192
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/2/2016 11:03:56 PM   
DOCUP

Witpqs: "C:\AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd-dd_sw switch-f-wd

Dell All in One: AMD A8. AMD Radeon R5 2.2 GHz. 64bit. Win 10 home. recommended resolution is 1920 1080 and that is what I am running.

Thanks

Joe

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 193
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 12:12:22 AM   
KHawk

I think you are missing spaces. Try this at the end

-wd -dd_sw -f -wd

KHawk

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 194
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 2:08:59 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: KHawk

I think you are missing spaces. Try this at the end

-wd -dd_sw -f -wd

KHawk

Agree, and one other thing. The -f means "'full screen mode". But the "w" in -wd means "windowed mode". You have to remove either the -f or the w, leaving in the one you want.

(in reply to KHawk)
Post #: 195
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 8:20:26 AM   
koniu

@Docup
Settings i am suggesting to use

-f -px1920 -py1080 -dd_sw -cpu4 -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders

Those settings remove most of issues i had with windows 10
I am also running game under Windows 7 compatibility mode with Administrator rights

< Message edited by koniu -- 3/3/2016 9:33:50 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 196
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 4:00:18 PM   
LST Express

I have a new laptop with windows 10 so I loaded the game and added upgrade 1.7.1124. Trying switches per Wdolson and WITPQS instructions but not able to get them to work yet. My question is should I have loaded other updates besides the one I did or is that one sufficient?

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 197
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 5:07:51 PM   
LST Express

Ok, I'm good except for full screen, trying -f and -fd but those haven't worked, is there another switch for full screen?

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 198
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 5:12:16 PM   
LST Express

got it. just wasted some typing space today.

Post #: 199
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 6:56:46 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

got it. just wasted some typing space today.

OK! So you're good now, right? BTW, AFAIK the default is the same as using the f switch. If you have the w switch, that makes it be windowed. But used the f switch or no switch at all means "full screen". Having both of those switches is just an error.

Post #: 200
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/3/2016 9:46:43 PM   
LST Express

Yep I'm good, thanks for checking.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 201
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/5/2016 3:06:01 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Just a quick note on my experience upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had many of the same issues described by other posters in this thread and tried many of the same solutions but still had sluggish performance when I could get the game to run at all. I finally tried running the compatibility mode diagnostic which fixed all my problems.

Here is what I did:
1 - Right click the game icon and select the "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
2 - Select "Troubleshoot program"
3 - Select BOTH the "Program worked in earlier versions of Windows ..." AND the "Program opens but doesn't display correctly" symptoms then click Next
4 - The Troubleshoot Compatibility diagnostic will ask which version of Windows you are upgrading from. I selected Windows 7 then clicked Next.
5 - Test run the game using the button provided by the Troubleshoot Compatibility then exit the game.
6 - Select "Save Settings".

After doing this, the game runs just as it did under Windows 7.

And FWIW, here are the command line switches that I use:
"F:\Matrix Games - Todd PBEM\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor

I hope this helps,
Regards, Paul

I was having two major issues with Windows 10 (just upgraded). First the screen wasn't correctly showing in full screen mode, always off center, and the resolution triggers didn't work. Second, there was general slowness and incredible lag in the orders screen.

The above described method from pws1225 worked wonders with my resolution problems. It is not just changing the compatibility setting for the program, but does other things as well. Now, I can play the game at the proper resolution. The -SingleCPUOrders and -dd_sw fixed my issues with lag.

I would recommend both of these solutions for anyone who has upgraded to Windows 10.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 3/5/2016 3:07:58 PM >

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 202
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/7/2016 3:19:52 AM   
bos142

Hi Dismal Seepage.

I am having the very same issue i was wondering if you can tell me step by step how you fixed it, i can seem to find the starting point of where to place the command land?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 203
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/11/2016 8:43:02 AM   
Parmenides

I have also the problem as others have written above

"my screen keeps trying to go back to my PCs home screen on Windows 10 when running the game."

This is very annoying. I would like to play in full screen.

(in reply to bos142)
Post #: 204
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/11/2016 4:05:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Parmenides

I have also the problem as others have written above

"my screen keeps trying to go back to my PCs home screen on Windows 10 when running the game."

This is very annoying. I would like to play in full screen.

What you describe has nothing to do with switches. I am still running Win. 7 and it happens to me too. Every time it does I notice the modem lights flashing like there is an incoming transmission, so I suspect the anti-virus program takes control of the computer (including the game screen) while it checks it out. I have not found a way around that, but the game is still there and I just use ALT+TAB or the game button at the bottom of the screen to go back into the game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Parmenides)
Post #: 205
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/12/2016 1:54:35 AM   
morejeffs

I am very confused. I can find the autorun.exe
but how do I find the game.exe file? I should add I am playing off of scen 28

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 206
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/12/2016 2:08:40 AM   
Anachro

the game.exe file is War in the Pacific Admirals Edition.exe located in the directory you installed the game. To create a shortcut for it, right click on this .exe filed and select Create Shortcut. You should see a War in the Pacific... - Shortcut file now. Right click on his and select properties. There are two lines you can put stuff in, Target and Start In. In the Target line is where you put your triggers.

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 207
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/12/2016 2:36:36 AM   
morejeffs

Thanks Anachro

It is working now!

Thanks so much!

< Message edited by morejeffs -- 3/12/2016 2:52:06 AM >

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 208
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 3/20/2016 8:38:38 PM   
Beilisarius

I upgraded to Windows 10 and I am having the same problems others have experienced, namely The game loads fine but when I scroll the cursor to move the map view it will not budge for a long time and when it moves, it does so very slowly. Only issue is the map scrolling event with my mouse.

I have read above about changing "switches" but I am COMPLETELY computer illiterate.

I cannot for the life of me find the "installation folder". I can find the game fine in my "c" drive and locate a myriad of folders and files etc for the game but not that one. Can someone help an old time war gamer who went to college with a slide rule. I just want to play the game. My guess (for what it's worth) is that if i add "deep color" it may fix the problem. HELP!!

Thanks in advance for for your assistance.

UPDATE: I found the installation folder and added "-deepColor" and i am zipping around on the map just fine. My question is, now I have two Icons on the Desktop for WitPAE, the original auto run (which when I play the game using that shortcut to start the game the old problem still persists) and now the new shortcut that works just fine. The new shortcut goes straight to the game while the old one brought up options for the manual , updates, etc. How do I make the old shortcut work? can I add "-deepColor" to the autorun and make it work? Do I have to delete the original shortcut and just use the new one? will that do anything to the game. How will i be able to update or access the manual other than going into my "c" drive and looking for the folders.

sorry for all the questions.

thanks again.

< Message edited by Beilisarius -- 3/20/2016 9:17:03 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 209
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/2/2016 3:29:33 PM   
m10bob

quote:

These are all the switches I was using for Windows 8/8.1. I haven't fired up the game on 10, but I suspect little change in these.

-altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders

-deepColor is possibly important, and so is -SingleCpuOrders.

These -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire have to do with my screen/graphics card and running in windowed mode.

-altFont -archive -wd are just normal game switches not related to performance.

I agree that -dd_sw might help on some systems, just have to try it to see.

Since being forced to acquire a new computer with win10 already installed, following these directions again completely cleared all my issues with compatibility.

"-altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders"

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/2/2016 3:31:32 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI