Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game/turn length?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Game/turn length? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game/turn length? - 2/16/2016 2:38:45 PM   
Garfieldthecat

Hello,

I did try to search for this, but couldn't really find an answer. I guess my google-fu skills are lacking.

Thinking of getting a new wargame to play with, and looking at one either WITP:AE, WITW, or WITE. I've played wargames off and on for a long time, including the original DOS Western Front, DOS Pacific War (and the updated free Matrix version) and many others. A major reason I am considering these three new games is because of how much I liked their predecessors.

So, a few questions if possible (I know this is the WITW forum, but any WITE answers are appreciated too since many have experience with both).

-How long does each turn take? I know the first couple of turns are always must more involved, but once things "settle down" how long does it take to plan each turn?

-How long does a full game run? How long is the 1944 campaign for WITW? Once I learn the mechanics, i'll probably do the D-Day to end of war campaign.

-Any preferences between WITW and WITE?

Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: Game/turn length? - 2/16/2016 3:02:47 PM   
RedLancer

This thread may help: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4017203

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Garfieldthecat)
Post #: 2
RE: Game/turn length? - 2/16/2016 3:03:20 PM   
whoofe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garfieldthecat

Hello,

I did try to search for this, but couldn't really find an answer. I guess my google-fu skills are lacking.

Thinking of getting a new wargame to play with, and looking at one either WITP:AE, WITW, or WITE. I've played wargames off and on for a long time, including the original DOS Western Front, DOS Pacific War (and the updated free Matrix version) and many others. A major reason I am considering these three new games is because of how much I liked their predecessors.

So, a few questions if possible (I know this is the WITW forum, but any WITE answers are appreciated too since many have experience with both).

-How long does each turn take? I know the first couple of turns are always must more involved, but once things "settle down" how long does it take to plan each turn?

-How long does a full game run? How long is the 1944 campaign for WITW? Once I learn the mechanics, i'll probably do the D-Day to end of war campaign.

-Any preferences between WITW and WITE?

Thanks!

I prefer WITW because of the improvements to the air war and logistics system. some ppl prefer WITE because of the theatre. the ground portions are very similar, but the air war is much different.

after the first turn which takes a lot of regrouping & organizing that I prefer to do, each turn takes about an hour or so for me on average on full campaign. it you want to let the computer run the air war for you it can take less, and if you really want to delve into the details it can take longer

in full campaign more units are added as you go along so turns will take longer the further you go. I spose by 1945 turns are more like 90-120 minutes for some ppl, as you will have Italy, southern france, and northern france/low countries theatres to deal with

Post #: 3
RE: Game/turn length? - 2/18/2016 6:32:43 PM   
Garfieldthecat

Wow, thanks Red Lancer, that was an informative thread.

(in reply to whoofe)
Post #: 4
RE: Game/turn length? - 2/18/2016 7:52:18 PM   
RedLancer

No problem - just let us know what you finally decided upon and why. It helps us understand what people want.

(I quote Garfield often - "It's not that I didn't sleep all night - it's just that the night isn't long enough")

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 5
RE: Game/turn length? - 2/28/2016 12:46:10 AM   
Garfieldthecat

Well, I was on the fence between WITE and WITW. I initially wanted West, since I prefer playing the US. But after reading as much as I could, the idea of playing both offense and defense in WITE during one campaign was interesting to me.

So I was back to not being able do decide. But the sale you had made it easy , and went with WITE for now. I'll see how it is and probably pick up WITW this summer sometime, depending on time constraints.

Thanks for the advice and help.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Game/turn length? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI