Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Close Combat Problem?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Close Combat Problem? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Close Combat Problem? - 2/27/2016 11:07:39 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

I've just finished a scenario where on turn 3 I committed a unit to close combat against an enemy unit. The close combat did not resolve on that turn.

On the following (enemy turn) I fired into the hex and broke both my unit and my opponent's.

At the end of that turn the close combat was not resolved.

My turn next and I commit two more units plus a leader, imagining that with his only unit present broken I will win. The combat again isn't resolved.

Each turn after that, even though my original broken unit rallies, so it's three of my units plus a leader against his single broken unit, the result is: No Effect, every single turn.

Surely this must be a problem?

Best Wishes

Mike
Post #: 1
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/27/2016 11:11:17 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeMarchant_ssl

I've just finished a scenario where on turn 3 I committed a unit to close combat against an enemy unit. The close combat did not resolve on that turn.

On the following (enemy turn) I fired into the hex and broke both my unit and my opponent's.

At the end of that turn the close combat was not resolved.

My turn next and I commit two more units plus a leader, imagining that with his only unit present broken I will win. The combat again isn't resolved.

Each turn after that, even though my original broken unit rallies, so it's three of my units plus a leader against his single broken unit, the result is: No Effect, every single turn.

Surely this must be a problem?

Best Wishes

Mike

There is no problem, a close combat that doesn't get resolved in one turn is turned into a melee...which can last more than one turn. It's all dice based, No Effect means the side didn't roll low enough to score a hit for the opposite side. Close Combat is a tricky business just because you have 2:1 over the enemy it doesn't mean you will 100% succeed.

(in reply to MikeMarchant_ssl)
Post #: 2
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/27/2016 11:23:17 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

I understand that it's a matter of probability, but I was surprised that with odds of 3-1(not 2-1), plus a leader , that it's still unresolved after ten attempts (if my arithmetic is right).

That seems like a lot of very low rolls.

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 3
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/27/2016 11:27:56 PM   
Gerry4321

3:1 odds in ASL would require an 8 or less for an effect. But you also have the leader and he is broken which would be -2 to the DR.

Post #: 4
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/27/2016 11:34:02 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

That does seem very unlikely.

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 5
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 9:01:22 AM   
Paullus

Probability is never a sure thing

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Post #: 6
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 11:17:09 AM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

3:1 odds in ASL would require an 8 or less for an effect. But you also have the leader and he is broken which would be -2 to the DR.

If Gerry's numbers are right that gives odds of a shade less than 62 billion to 1. Probability never is a sure thing, but 62 billion to 1 is a bit of a stretch.

I realise there might have been some kind of odd failure with my computer's random number generator, but that wasn't playing out across the rest of the battle. Are you sure you don't want to take a look to see if something odd is happening here?

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 7
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 12:53:34 PM   
mmoore327

May be unrelated, but sounds similar to a problem I encountered...

A squad from AI assaulted one of my AFVs and in first round there was no result.
Next turn I fired into the hex and eliminated the enemy squad.
For the remainder of the game (several turns) the AFV was locked in Melee with "nothing" and couldn't be used.
Could the bug be related to when you fire into a melee hex and change status of units in the hex?

Mike

Post #: 8
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 3:02:25 PM   
kylania

Why are people shooting at their own units in melee? :)

(in reply to mmoore327)
Post #: 9
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 4:56:31 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

I wasn't shooting at my units, but the enemy units. Of course both were effected equally. But it was late; I was tired, and not being overly sensible.

However there may well be times when this is a legitimate tactic. Either the game needs to disallow this, or it needs to 'not break' if it happens - supposing it is 'breaking', that is, and I can't say that is with any certainty.

Best Wishes

Mike

< Message edited by MikeMarchant_ssl -- 2/28/2016 5:07:05 PM >

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 10
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 5:01:16 PM   
Moltke71

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeMarchant_ssl

I wasn't shooting at my units, but the enemy units. Of course both were effected equally. But it was late; I was tired, and not being overly sensible.

However there may well be times when this is a legitimate tactic. Either the game needs to disallow this, or it needs to 'not break' if it happens - supposing it is 'breaking', that is, and I can;pt say that is with any certainty.

Best Wishes

Mike

Friendly fire a legitimate tactic? Oh well, it worked for Cornwallis once.

Jim Cobb

Post #: 11
RE: Close Combat Problem? - 2/28/2016 6:11:06 PM   
mmoore327

I think in my example isn't an unreasonable tactic - infantry assaulting AFV. I figured the small arms fire wouldn't hurt the Tank but might save it :)

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Close Combat Problem? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI