Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reading Operation Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Reading Operation Barbarossa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 3:19:49 PM   
ntrlpr

DC: Operation Barbarossa is my first complex Matrix/Slitherine game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I started reading Alan Clark's book Barbarossa to expand my background knowledge and it's certainly helped with the political/RPG elements (I'm attempting to be as 'realistic' as possible).

I'd love to keep reading more once I've finished Barbarossa (the book), aside from the manual. Does anyone have any recommendations? More non-fiction would be great, but I've started craving novels set in that theatre or related to Op Barbarossa.

Apologies if this isn't the ideal forum for this question. Please feel free to move it to General Discussion if it's more appropriate.

Post #: 1
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 4:11:38 PM   
RandomAttack

My personal favorite is "Inferno" by Max Hastings. It covers all of WWII but has an exceptional chapter on Barbarossa. I like it because it really brings the human element into focus-- clearly and sharply. Busts a LOT of "myths". Lots of diary excerpts, etc. As I get older I am less impressed with all the technical/hardware arguments ("tank X has 6.2% greater penetrating power at 500 meters than tank y") and appreciate the human/morale/leadership aspects more.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 2
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 5:05:25 PM   
Remmes

A couple of suggestions:

War without garlands from Robert Kershaw is a nice read. It describes the human factor and operations as well. A much drier but much more indepth read is the trilogy from David Stahel on this subject.

You can even pick up a book on this subject for free: just google for 'The German campaign in Russia, planning and operations and you should be able to find it.

Edit:

here you can download it

< Message edited by Ramses -- 3/5/2016 5:07:30 PM >

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 3
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 5:07:15 PM   
bobarossa

My favorites are Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East by David Stahel and The Bloody Triangle by Victor Kamenir. The first book is on the first few months of Barbarossa and the second in on the first week of the battle in the south. The second is a very good look at why the massive soviet army was so ineffective at the start of the war.

Instead of novels you could try one of the many personal histories by the participants. My favorites are Eastern Inferno (German soldier) and Through the Maelstrom (Soviet soldier).

edit: Ramses, I didn't realize Stahel had a trilogy!

< Message edited by bobarossa -- 3/5/2016 5:08:32 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 5:42:16 PM   
Gunnulf

Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942 by Robert Forczyk is certainly a good study through Barbarossa and into 42. From both perspectives with good attention to strategic and tactical issues.

(in reply to bobarossa)
Post #: 5
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 8:52:27 PM   
ntrlpr

All of these suggestions are brilliant, thank you!

RandomAttack: I think I'm somewhere in between the technical and the human sides. I do love tanks and tactics, but it's the human stories that have more of an impact. Thank you; I'll look into Inferno.

Ramses: Holy Mackerel, that German Campaign document is brilliant! Very detailed and lovely maps. I'll pore over that this evening. The others are now on my wishlist.

bobarossa (great name!): I never considered personal histories. I think one from each side would be a real insight. I'll look into both of these.

Gunnulf: I've seen Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front before and been interested (mainly because I'm quite the tank nerd). I'll definitely get it after your recommendation.

Now to find them all on Goodreads / Amazon!

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 6
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/5/2016 9:52:22 PM   
wodin

@ntrlpr I can't recommend Barbarossa Unleashed by C Luther enough. One amazing read..and greta value for money. Even has several fold out maps.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 7
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 1:01:56 AM   
demyansk

I like Stahel's books

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 1:23:30 AM   
dhhd

quote:

ORIGINAL: RandomAttack

My personal favorite is "Inferno" by Max Hastings. It covers all of WWII but has an exceptional chapter on Barbarossa. I like it because it really brings the human element into focus-- clearly and sharply. Busts a LOT of "myths". Lots of diary excerpts, etc. As I get older I am less impressed with all the technical/hardware arguments ("tank X has 6.2% greater penetrating power at 500 meters than tank y") and appreciate the human/morale/leadership aspects more.

Not exclusively about the war in the East, but "Moral Combat" by Michael Burleigh seems like it would be relevant if you want to talk about the "human" side of things.

Post #: 9
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 4:35:45 AM   
ntrlpr

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I can't recommend Barbarossa Unleashed by C Luther enough. One amazing read..and greta value for money. Even has several fold out maps.

Sold! I'm a sucker for maps!

Whilst searching for all of these, I've come across a few personal histories which look interesting: Blood Red Snow by Günter K. Koschorrek and The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. Anyone read either of them?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 9:55:15 AM   
Gunnulf

Guy Sajer's book is a classic, you won't be able to put it down. Its very much a personal account and there was some controversy over some of the facts, but he himself admits (as most veterans will) that its his recollections and if you ask ten blokes you will get ten versions of the same battle.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 11
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 2:28:44 PM   
Philippeatbay

I think there's more going on than just fuzzy recollections.

When he joined the army I think he was an underage kid and barely spoke any German apart from the basic military commands. If you read between the lines he probably only understood half of what people said to him, and the favorite form of amusement in his unit seems to have been to tell the young French kid tall stories to see if he believed them (or how badly he misunderstood them). That's why there are so many weird bits of factual misinformation in his book. People were pulling his leg half the time when they told him things, and even so he probably only understood half of what they said. I can still remember what it was like going to a school where I didn't really speak the same language as everyone else, and from personal experience I can attest to the fact that you end up with some very peculiar notions. And residual embarassment does funny things to your memory.

But apart from that, the book is a wonderful account of what it felt like to be in the German army. I'm surprised it hasn't been made into a movie.

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 12
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 3:35:16 PM   
bobarossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: ntrlpr

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I can't recommend Barbarossa Unleashed by C Luther enough. One amazing read..and greta value for money. Even has several fold out maps.

Sold! I'm a sucker for maps!

Whilst searching for all of these, I've come across a few personal histories which look interesting: Blood Red Snow by Günter K. Koschorrek and The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. Anyone read either of them?

I also have Blood Red Snow. I think it has a very good tale of his first action (taking supplies to troops at front in Stalingrad). Very good book.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 13
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/6/2016 5:44:13 PM   
Tweedledumb

I just re-read Guy Sajer's "Forgotten Soldier" a few months back.

It's immersive and personal - also an easy read. Recommended.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 14
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/8/2016 1:19:28 AM   
wodin

Enjoy Barbarossa Unleashed. It's a massive awesome read.

Blood Red Snow is a good read.

A great novel is Cross of Iron, what the film was based on. Well worth reading.

OK here is a list of some of the memiors I have from the German side. All worth owning. I have a many others that are also worth reading like Hans Von Lucks famous memoir or the two recent releases Hans Sturm's excellent memior and also Eastern Inferno..

Soldat: Reflections of a German Soldier, 1939-45 by S Knappe

LINK

The Eastern Front: Memoirs of a Waffen SS Volunteer, 1941-1945 by L Degrelle

LINK

In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front by G Bidermann

LINK

The Forsaken Army by H Gerlach (novelisation of his Stalingrad experience)

LINK

Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer by K Meyer

LINK

Stalingrad: Memories and Reassessment by Heinrich Graf von Einsiedel

LINK

Bounden Duty: Memoirs of a German Officer, 1932-45 by A Stahlberg

LINK

Shades Of Gray: Memoirs Of A Prussian Saint On The Eastern Front by A Naujoks

LINK

Few Returned: Diary of Twenty-eight Days on the Russian Front, Winter, 1942-43 by E Corti (His novel Red Horse is well worth buying aswell)

LINK

Panzer Operations: The Eastern Front Memoir of General Raus, 1941-1945 by Raus

LINK

Für Volk and Führer. The Memoir of a Veteran of the 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler by E Bartmann

LINK

Fianlly Leapinghorsemans Jason Marks writes some of my all time favoruite Eats front books. Island of Fire is a book I'd never part with, easy the best Stalingrad book I have..and I have a fair few.. Also Into Oblivion and Besieged are again amazing reads. Expensive but so worth it. Hiw first book which you couldn't get unless you paid out lots of money has just been re issued by Stackpole books. That's Death of a leaing Horseman..again well worth buying and at a great price aswell.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/8/2016 1:28:58 AM >

(in reply to Tweedledumb)
Post #: 15
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/8/2016 1:30:49 AM   
wodin

Forgotten soldier does have some doubts pertaining to it's authenticity..still a great read though

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/10/2016 10:14:53 AM   
ntrlpr

Oh, for some reason my subscription to this thread didn't notify me of these replies.

Wodin, thank you for the massive list! I've added all to my 'to read' list; they all really appeal. I'm hoping to pick up Barbarossa Unleashed soon, but might delve into a couple of the shorter memoirs in the meantime.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Reading Operation Barbarossa - 3/10/2016 3:37:51 PM   
stolypin

Here is one of the newest and, though I haven't yet read it, supposedly one of the best and most thorough ever:

http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=8650642&A=SearchResult&SearchID=26413140&ObjectID=8650642&ObjectType=27

736 pages, 220 b/w photos, and 22 color and b/w maps

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Reading Operation Barbarossa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI