Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I want to be a wargamer :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> I want to be a wargamer :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 9:29:10 PM   
bwort1101

Hi guys!

I am playing pcgames since 25 years and i am get bored more and more. I always wanted to play a big wargame and i think now its the time to start with it. I need ur help. I am looking for a good beginner wargame. More complex than panzer corps which i played years ago. I dont care about graphics. Searching around i saw
Birth of America 2, Command Ops 2. Good games for a beginner?

It would be very nice if u can help to find the best game for me :)
thx
Post #: 1
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 9:36:34 PM   
z1812

You should try Battle Academy.

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 2
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 9:37:49 PM   
wings7

Welcome to Matrix! Here is a list of World War II games, click on the "More info..." for each title for all the info you need!
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/?p=19&a=3&pt=1

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 3
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 9:43:00 PM   
Orm

Welcome to the forum, bwort1101.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 4
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 9:46:37 PM   
bwort1101

I played Battle Acadamy on my ipad, great game but i am looking for some deeper, but not too deep ;)

thx for ur welcome :)

< Message edited by bwort1101 -- 3/8/2016 9:47:17 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 9:57:58 PM   
demyansk

Maybe try The Operational Art of War? Has a lot of extra scenarios and still supported by a large fan base

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 6
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 10:05:31 PM   
waltero

Maybe Strategic Command? You might want to try playing games that offer a demo.
Hate to see you spend money just to find out you don't like the game.

Check out Yukata, they have a few good games like Antika, A few acers of snow etc...all free.

PM me if you would like to learn some of the games that Vassal has to offer. Skype required (for teaching).

"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 7
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 10:16:10 PM   
CarnageINC

WooT!!! NEW BLOOOOOOD!!!!!

Welcome to the forums sir, you came to the right place for something new and challenging. Almost every game here is Play By Email(PBEM) accessible. Nothing better than playing a strategy game against another human. I've made many of long term friends here and I hope you do to.

First bit of advice I would give you is what era of history do you like or what kind of warfare interest you. There is so much to choose from here its best to narrow down your initial search. Once you know what era you want to try first, ask here or browse the forums of the games that interest you. This is an awesome community that is more than willing to help you out with advice or tips. All you got to do is ask.

I hope you enjoy your initial experience and keep coming back for more new and exciting titles Matrix has to offer

(in reply to waltero)
Post #: 8
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 10:23:30 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Maybe Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa?

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 9
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 10:24:59 PM   
CarnageINC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Maybe Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa?

+1, its a solid game that have varying degrees of difficulty that you can customize.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 10
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 10:41:35 PM   
bwort1101

Hi guys :)

WWII is my favourite, but other scenarios are ok too. I investigated all the games u advice, Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa looks very very interesting.
Can anyone say me something about Birth of America 2 or Command Ops?

what about Decisive Campaigns Case blue or Blitzkrieg? Cheaper and they are on steam.

< Message edited by bwort1101 -- 3/8/2016 10:50:01 PM >

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 11
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 10:54:48 PM   
Franciscus

Hi and welcome.
Regarding Birth of America 2, first I would say the same others have said: it is important that you chose an historic era or topic that interests you. Birth of America 2 is a superb operational game about the War of American independence, with a grand campaign and a miriad other smaller scenarios. If the topic and era interets you, go no further.

It is a game developed by Ageod, a company whose games I enjoy very much (being part of the team that helped to develop the Roman-time AJE and it's expansions, I may be partial...). Ageod games are not "easy" to get into for most, but the game system and engine used in Birth of America 2 is probably one of the easier ones to start. The map is beautiful, there are no complex supply or command issues, the AI is very solid, gameplay is streamlined, no significant bugs, etc.

You can check this very nice Let's play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUJ6rz2pPw

Regards

(PS: DC: Barbarossa is a great game and a sure bet. One of the best games I have! The previous games by the same developers, Case Blue and Blitzkrieg are rather more complex and "grognard"-level, IMHO)

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 3/8/2016 10:56:39 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 12
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 11:11:13 PM   
wodin

I'd say Command Ops 2. It's free over at LocknLoad..you get about four scenarios to play with.

or Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

You really can't go wrong with either as your buying into two of the more recent classics.

As I said you can try CO2 for free.

If your happy with real time games it wont be to much to get your head around. Where as DC:B you can take your time and it oozes immersion which can be a rare commodity with wargames.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/8/2016 11:19:12 PM >

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 13
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 11:13:08 PM   
Ranger33

Birth of America 2 is a good game, but it is the AGEOD system, which is quite different from most games. Takes a bit to wrap your head around, but if you do you can easily pick up most of the other AGEOD games, which cover a lot of interesting conflicts that you won't see elsewhere (Spanish Civil War, Russian Revolution, and others like ACW and WW1).

Command Ops 2 is also a unique system, and really good. You play a more realistic role of a commander by giving commands to your sub-commanders which then order their own formations around. There is a demo version that gives you several scenarios to try out.

Another series to check out is Combat Mission. The older games are classics, but a bit dated, especially the controls. The newer games let you get down and dirty, tracking every single soldier and bullet on the battlefield. There are a lot of nuances to playing the game well that make it challenging for newbies. They do offer a lot of demos so check them out. I personally think that the CM: Shock Force bundle is the best bang for your buck. It's not as up to date as the other ones but is close enough and comes with more scenarios than you will ever play.

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 14
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 11:18:55 PM   
CarnageINC

BOA2 is a good game, it moves a bit slow IMO. This is mostly due to the slow start and the speed and distances of the units traveling. Its a nice game but I would recommend other Ageod titles such as Ageod's American Civil War 2! It is probably one of the best pre WW2 strategy games there is, personally one of my all time favorites. Another Ageod title that is interesting and fun is To End All Wars. Its WW1 but you can do a lot of different strategic options to put different twists on the era.

< Message edited by CarnageINC -- 3/8/2016 11:19:49 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 11:19:45 PM   
wodin

Oh yes if you want tactical then one of the Combat Mission games.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 16
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 11:31:46 PM   
bwort1101

So many good games, I need a second life ;)
Barbarossa is my favorite now. I saw u can buy the retail with a printed book? But i can't find a way to order it. Birth of America costs only 15 bucks so I will get this too I think .

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/8/2016 11:51:25 PM   
wodin

Not sure. Though when you click to buy you cna then choose to upgrade to the box version. Which might be the version with a manual...

Seems I might be right..

Check link

LINK

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/8/2016 11:52:52 PM >

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 18
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 12:00:27 AM   
budd

try the demos first. CO2 has a demo and so do the ageod games. You really should figure out what type of system and scale of command your looking for first. There's plenty to choose from, try the demos and go from there.

Welcome aboard...enjoy the journey.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 12:09:23 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I can suggest Panzer Command: Osfront (better ai than combat mission), Command Ops series, Norbsoft's Civil War series and Mark Walker's Hero's of Stalingrad. (from here)

Then from HPS simulations: Pacific War: Squad Battles or Eagle Strike.

A step up from Panzer Corps would be the Battle Academy's I or II from here. Good graphics and fair AI. Takes a bit more thought to beat it than the Panzer Corps series.

As, someone else mentioned: Steel Panthers World @ War. It's a free download if you look around for it and if you like it I would suggest the Generals edition for more and better scenarios.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 20
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 11:25:29 AM   
bwort1101

At moment I am watching lets plays to get in the games. Does anyone know something about graviteam mius front? I found it at steam and the reviews are good. Today I will get the demos as u advice. I am not sure if I like the grand scale more than the tactical.

< Message edited by bwort1101 -- 3/9/2016 11:29:20 AM >

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 21
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 1:04:16 PM   
aaatoysandmore

If you figure out the Graviteam games please let me know. It's very clunky to me as it seems to have a strategic portion and then a battle portion with setups in the battle portion unlike any other I have seen. Combat mission and Panzer Command both put all the units on the edges of the map and let you place them from there. Graviteam puts them all over the place and I don't find half of them when setting up because it's so dark in many of the scenarios.

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 22
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 3:07:29 PM   
Hexagon

If you like tactical games at squad level i recomend you "Steel panthers" serie... you can download win versions of WWII and modern wars version for free and test them.

Other good tactical game but at platoon scale is Tiller new PzB serie... specially Normandy, great job with OOB, variety in scens, at same scale you have "Flashpoint campaigns" but is special... WEGO system and you cant control units when they fight, you give orders and them try do their best.

At bigger scales... you have DC serie... i dont touch Barbarrossa but the other titles are good to.

Post #: 23
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 3:13:31 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

As, someone else mentioned: Steel Panthers World @ War. It's a free download if you look around for it

No need to look further, here it is! It is worth of noting that isn't original vanilla package, but is reinforced with all the updates and some mods, all in one neat installer package. Game has some graphical issues with Windows 7, but there is fix for that.

Otherwise SPWAW is comparable to Battle Academy, but has more depth, detail, and complexity. Enjoy.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 24
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 5:36:34 PM   
wodin

Or you cna try Steel Panthers WW2 for free. You can also buy it on disk and get to play at high resolutions. Go to Shrapnel games.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 25
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 5:41:27 PM   
Rising-Sun

I know this game isn't on the Matrix, but you could try and maybe like it...

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/darkest-hour

Gotta say the best Hearts of Iron Series there is.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 26
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 6:47:47 PM   
TheGrayMouser

I would say after Panzer General, a great next step is the JT Campaign Series of games. Pretty easy to learn, massive content etc. After that, the various versions of Steel Panthers, HPS games etc

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 27
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 8:18:36 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

I know this game isn't on the Matrix, but you could try and maybe like it...

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/darkest-hour

Gotta say the best Hearts of Iron Series there is.

And with that you could try "Making History I and II. Turn based instead of real time and much better AI on higher difficulties.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 28
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 10:17:44 PM   
bwort1101

I have a last question for Barbarossa. Are the missions time related? ( u had to capture xxx in x turns?) i dont like that :P

Post #: 29
RE: I want to be a wargamer :) - 3/9/2016 11:44:45 PM   
CarnageINC

Well Bwort, you are against the time in a sense because General Winter is coming. The sooner you capture key locations the more political points you get to do more things.

(in reply to bwort1101)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> I want to be a wargamer :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI