Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit Editing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Unit Editing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit Editing - 1/7/2016 3:53:17 PM   
lionel1957

Can individual unit strength, movement, firepower, etc. be edited within the scenario editor? If so, how? I can't seem to manage that.
Post #: 1
RE: Unit Editing - 1/7/2016 4:52:24 PM   
RedLancer

Have you read the Editor Manual? I'm not trying to be flippant but if you have and still don't understand then the answers will be very different.

In brief Unit Strength can be changed very easily. Firepower is a product of the unit composition and is only changed by changing the elements and numbers. Movement points can be changed for T1 but then hard coding takes over and MPs depend upon the type of unit and the supply situation.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to lionel1957)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit Editing - 1/7/2016 6:14:36 PM   
lionel1957

John,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have reviewed the editor manual and cannot find my answer. Rather than waste your time, can you send me the page number that explains how to make these changes? I am obviously overlooking the answer that must be right in front of me. I have successfully use many other editors without a problem. This one is a bit daunting to me for some reason.

Ted

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit Editing - 1/7/2016 6:26:30 PM   
RedLancer

Try these:

Page 33 - Rebuild Unit sets the size based on the TOE chosen.
Page 34 - Set MP/SMP for first turn movement points.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to lionel1957)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit Editing - 1/7/2016 8:34:34 PM   
lionel1957

John,

Thank you for the help. When I reviewed pages 33-34, it sent me to Appendix C and D which answered my questions. Thanks again!

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 5
RE: Unit Editing - 3/11/2016 7:32:39 AM   
Ripppe

Hi there.

This topic seems convenient place to ask my nitty picky questions regarding unit editing. There are three things I've been wondering without a luck of finding the answer. They all concern creating a new ground element.

1) What is the relation between the total number of devices (speaking of infantry ground element) and the element's size? Does the numbers have to match? If they have to match, is there a penalty or some other factor that kicks in?
2) Does the game expect that one man uses one device or is this abstracted in such a degree that it is irrelevant? Can I give my twelve man squad twelve Garands and two bazookas and the game is content with this?
3) What is the relation of ammunition and the device number? So what basically means if I give 3 grenades (=device quantity 3) and ammunition 30? Is the ammunition dispersed between the devices or is it individual?

Thanks for the replies! These are probably not the everyday questions that get asked.

(in reply to lionel1957)
Post #: 6
RE: Unit Editing - 3/11/2016 8:30:44 AM   
RedLancer

These are serious in depth questions.

This is my understanding so it has a big caveat.

1) I don't think they have to match.
2) Imagine the element as a single entity - in your example more weapons would fire but if destroyed the element would lose the same number of people.
3) I believe that the ammo value sets the consumption rate - it uses this figure to calculate how much ammo is used/needed - not what it has.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Ripppe)
Post #: 7
RE: Unit Editing - 3/11/2016 8:51:03 AM   
Ripppe

Aaah, interesting answers Red Lancer! Thanks for the quick reply.

I would definitely buy those explanations as they seem logical to me. Especially the one regarding the ammunition was something I hadn't thought of (probably because it would seem more convenient to have this information attached to the device).

To give some context for my questions, I was trying to figure out would it be plausible to make a 12 man squad where each has a rifle and two of them also carry a bazooka. Based on the answers I believe that this would technically be possible, but two of the guys would be firing a rifle and bazooka simultaneously...

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 8
RE: Unit Editing - 3/11/2016 9:37:02 AM   
RedLancer

...not quite simultaneously as the game models devices firing sequentially. For battles in a game with weekly turns having two weapon systems is not unreasonable.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Ripppe)
Post #: 9
RE: Unit Editing - 3/11/2016 9:58:30 AM   
Ripppe

Okey, in that light that gives a justification to do want I intended in the first place.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 10
RE: Unit Editing - 4/4/2016 12:00:41 PM   
Ripppe

Hmm, are there any ideas what I might possibly doing wrong as my new multi-role doesn't make the special 'commando landing' although attached to a naval HQ as a support unit? I have tried to compare my unit to a ranger unit which successfully conducts the special landing action and I don't seem to find any notable difference that might explain what is happening.

(in reply to Ripppe)
Post #: 11
RE: Unit Editing - 4/4/2016 12:10:28 PM   
RedLancer

Is it using the same TOE? I'd need to see a screen shot of the unit data and the TOE (if new) for starters. It might be that the commando landing code is hard coded to the OB suffix (i.e. name).

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Ripppe)
Post #: 12
RE: Unit Editing - 4/4/2016 12:15:25 PM   
Ripppe

I was also suspecting some kind of hard coded behavior but could it be linked to the name..? Well that's quite easily tested. If that doesn't help, I'll post the pictures. The two units are using different TOEs.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 13
RE: Unit Editing - 4/4/2016 12:32:54 PM   
Ripppe

Well I'll be damned... Red Lancer, you must either be a psychic or otherwise very, very deep inside the mind of WitW. :) Your guess about the name being the problem solver seems to be correct.

(in reply to Ripppe)
Post #: 14
RE: Unit Editing - 4/4/2016 6:20:56 PM   
RedLancer

Lucky guess .

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Ripppe)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Unit Editing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI