Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some questions about game play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Some questions about game play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some questions about game play - 4/29/2001 7:31:00 AM   
nimu

Hi everybody, I'm trying to improove my qualities as a spwaw player,looking forward to the ver 5 online tournaments that are coming.So,i'd need some help with a couple of things.First of all:What's the difference between fast artillery turn off or on?Secondly:which is the best way of using mech infantry of engeneers?do i have to push 'em very fast in front of the formation with teir truks and risk to be destroyed by undetected mine field or to wait the whole formation come?And what about the recon troops?They are not so usefull with mines,cause often the 2 people rec squad gets destroyed when it walks on mines?And if i use the engeneers with them they're useless.The last thing:mortars in advancing scenarios.They're so slow,especially the 3 inch and the 60mm ones.They're often attached to a platoon,so they must be in contact with their chief and their range is not so good as the 80-120-4.2 ones,so they cannot stay too far away.They slow all my advance!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for your help.I hope with your suggestions i'll be able to be a good challenger for the future.

"out of ammo........God save the King"
Post #: 1
- 4/29/2001 7:40:00 AM   
Redleg

Fast artillery just goes faster past the screen so you don't have to watch it if you don't want.... sort of like fast forward. Engineers..... if I have an army of good quality, I like to put recon out in front. If they are moving slow, they will often spot mines before they blow. Then I bring up engineers to clear the mines. Note that high quality regular infantry moving very slowly can often move through mines without tripping them.... for that matter, high quality scout vehicles as well. Tanks, well less often. I personally never use mech engineers. But I see a lot of them in my battles. In league play, you should seldom encounter mines because (unfortunately) 95% of the battles are meeting engagements. Most experienced players operate under the assumption that mines wouldn't be likely in a meeting engagement. Also, it isn't "good form" to mine your actual home v-hexes.

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 2
- 4/29/2001 7:51:00 AM   
nimu

Ok,thanks redleg,i got your message.I think minefields should be used more frequently,especially in the desert scenarios.I read many that almost every day Rommel's,Monty's and Alexander's Armies were facing that problem.Or better:should be part of the randomly created scenarios.The thing u told me about recon teams seems to be very usefull.I'll use it.Thanks

"out of ammo........God save the King"

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 3
- 4/29/2001 1:30:00 PM   
Reg

I'll bet you'll be an expert in mine warfare by the time you finish the MegaCampaign... :D :D :D Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 4
- 4/29/2001 8:14:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Recon troops are there for one purpose...reconnaissance. The gathering of information for the company, battalion, and regimental commanders. Sometimes this information is "BOOM"....whoops, a minefield. During advances, I use my recon troops to locate enemy units BEFORE they get a chance to hit my main force units. If they become casualties, oh well. That's their job. Mech engineers are more useful than foot engineers for one reason....they can get to the "hot spots" (minefields, bunkers, troops in buildings) quicker. I usually keep them loaded and to the rear of my formation, until I run into one of these situations. Then they get called up to move nearby, unload, and advance a hex or two to deal with the obstacle. As for mortars...first, determine their range. Most 81mm and larger have ranges of 40 + hexes...that's almost half the width of a map. If they are radio-equipped (most are), they don't need to be right up with the troops. The leader can call 'em up and request fire from a distance. I place them in cover behind the line of advance, where they can cover most of the battle area. Smaller mortars (up to 60mm) can be slow. If necessary, drop off your mech infantry, then send a halftrack back to pick up the mortars.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Some questions about game play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI