Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List - 1/9/2016 9:49:06 PM   
Toan

How about engineering units that can build ports, airfields, and think of it, roads!
Post #: 91
RE: Wish List - 1/10/2016 8:54:44 PM   
Cfant

I'm a simple man. I have simple needs.

In replay - if moves, which I cannot see would be skiped, replays would be much shorter
In OOB - mode: splitt units show the coordinates of only two sub units. It's hard to find the thrid one
In battle log - only the first 17 (?) units types are shown

such things. Would be great, if that would be improved. Oh, and a "whole formation move to"-button would be nice, too :)

Oh, and more then 2 sides. Today an ETE is the end for the whole turn. How to imagine that? WW2, a british soldier near El Alamain: "Sir, I have to report, that a german company has set up strong resistance agains a soviet company at the Volga!" Major: "Ok, we won't attack for the rest of the week!"

< Message edited by Cfant2 -- 1/10/2016 10:06:36 PM >

(in reply to Toan)
Post #: 92
RE: Wish List - 1/10/2016 9:50:19 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

I'm a simple man. I have simple needs.

In OOB - mode: splitt units show the coordinates of only two sub units. It's hard to find the thrid one

Huh? Screenshot?

quote:

In battle log - only the first 17 (?) units types are shown

That's fixed.

quote:

Oh, and more then 2 sides.

You are not a simple man. You do not have simple needs.

quote:

Today an ETE is the end for the whole turn. How to imagine that? WW2, a british soldier near El Alamain: "Sir, I have to report, that a german company has set up strong resistance agains a soviet company at the Volga!" Major: "Ok, we won't attack for the rest of the week!"

BTS system fixes this.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 93
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 2:03:00 AM   
Meyer1

It's nice to let one's mind fly and dream about new features, but I think it's a little late for that (or was already late when the game was announced). What I would want is more information about the features that are being implemented, how they affect the game, what had to be left out, see the new graphics, the interface... are those simple needs?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 94
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 10:35:47 AM   
Cfant

Here is what I mean. The 97th Jäger is splitt up in 3 parts. They are on 2 different hexfields. Hard to find them with this info...

here they are:

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two?

< Message edited by Cfant2 -- 1/11/2016 11:37:35 AM >

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 95
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 12:18:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I'm running into that same problem and I'm finding them at the tail end of the OOB. I guess that's the default for units that break
into pieces.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 96
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 2:10:22 PM   
Lobster

The unit database for each scenario is written in stone, it is not dynamic. So when units are broken down it HAS to be added to the end because when the game was programmed there was no thought about rearranging the unit data in the scenario. Maybe they decided it would be easier to take the lazy way out.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 97
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 2:18:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Maybe they decided it would be easier to take the lazy way out.

I used to work as a computer programmer and I can tell you from experience that data that changes dynamically is MUCH
easier added or subtracted from the end of a pointed list or a vector list or a bag or some other standard container. Two-ended
pointers CAN be used to put them into the stream of data hierarchicly ( I phrased that badly ), I mean in the order of the
hierarchy as it exists *now* but they are a big drag on code footprint and real-time expended especially when you're using
threads and there can be many of them. It's not only just the lazy way, it's better.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 98
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 2:43:34 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Select the part on 30,46 then hit next or previous to locate the others.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 99
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 2:49:58 PM   
sPzAbt653

If you want to see all three pieces in the formation report, you can scroll down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 100
RE: Wish List - 1/11/2016 7:58:19 PM   
Cfant

Ha, didn't know that. Thanks a lot! You never stop to learn, not even after 6 years playing

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 101
RE: Wish List - 1/13/2016 8:54:33 AM   
draske

Hi all, first of all I appreciate the work done on TOAW IV. As a player since version 1 I really appreciate that this old title still gets updates and improvements without loosing the charm this game always had.

For my wish list:
It would be great if we can get a few extra characters for the unit and formation names. For some reason I always come one or two characters short.
Another thing I would like to see is adding armygroup (so XXXXX) as selectable option. I like to make big scenario's and this often represent HQ units of this level.

Thank you for the great work so far.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 102
RE: Wish List - 1/13/2016 2:12:48 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: draske

Another thing I would like to see is adding armygroup (so XXXXX) as selectable option. I like to make big scenario's and this often represent HQ units of this level.

See this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1730915

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to draske)
Post #: 103
RE: Wish List - 2/14/2016 12:40:17 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's some more things that TOAW could add if it wanted to get more complicated.There's an area for the name of the TF.
And for about 25 characters you can encode the route or the cargo or the day it last was in port or a reminder to withdraw this ship
or whatever the need is. TOAW units could use that capability as hints of where to go or what to do etc. Not just for ship-s but
LCU's as well. Or maybe just the ships and HQ's.

There's the ability to change the leader of the unit. In this case the captain of the ship. Which implies that the skill of the leader
influences the performance of the unit. TOAW could use something like that for it's units, or maybe just the HQ units.

EDIT: I just posted this post in the development forum but then I realized it's not a screenshot and we're talking about this notion on
the public board already so it's not secret. I'm wondering if anybody concurs about my idea. Or is TOAW already complicated
enough as it is, or is this WITP-AE example worthy of some thought?

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/14/2016 1:42:25 AM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 104
RE: Wish List - 3/5/2016 4:26:16 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas
quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
Please, add some sort of list displaying the units that are currently travelling by rail. In FitE, it's often a nightmare trying to find them on the map, especially after a longer break between PBEM sessions.

No need. You already have it. Use the dot buttom. It cicles through all the entrained units.

The dot button? What's that? Where is it?

Did anybody ever answer your question? He's talking about the period button. The button you push to put a period at the end of
a sentence.

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 105
RE: Wish List - 3/5/2016 4:29:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

WITE has a unit representing an airfield and it can be moved from place to place and
planes fly their missions from them. It's a handy way to represent a grass airfield used by
fighters. I suppose bombers would need a large flat surface somewhere but it would be
doable. TOAW needs some kind of event or maybe a new unit that can place
airfields at specific places. This would be really cool.

EDIT: This idea came to me from Thomas Harvey. He's smarter than he looks.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/5/2016 4:32:39 PM >

Post #: 106
RE: Wish List - 3/6/2016 1:08:36 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's some more things that TOAW could add if it wanted to get more complicated.

Larry

My view is that complicated = anal, and I think TOAW is anal enough. For each individual playing TOAW there is a threshold where complication reaches a point and the game no longer is fun. It becomes work. No fun in playing a game that requires work. I realize that you enjoy the minutia of TOAW, others also do, and I have no quarrel with this. Enjoy.

My greatest wishes would be WEGO and hex side rivers, but I have no expectation that TOAW will ever see these features. Fortunately there are other TOAW like games in the making that offer these abilities.

One wish that might be possible is to give engineers a true ability to build. Build and/or improve airfields, ports, supply depots, rails, roads, bridges, tunnels, forts and anything else imaginable for engineers. Engineers need a true function rather just than increasing the rate of "dig-in" and doubling as infantry.

I would also like to see scenarios built where there are no "objective" points which are summed up to determine wins and losses. The criteria for winning would then be forcing an opponent into a hopeless position and gaining the opponent's resignation as the requirement for a win. This is possible, I have made scenarios which use this criteria.

So much for my ideas,

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 107
RE: Wish List - 3/6/2016 3:16:51 AM   
Meyer1

I wish we have some information about wth is going on with the development of this game...

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 108
RE: Wish List - 3/6/2016 3:20:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
I wish we have some information about wth is going on with the development of this game...

May I kindly refer you to this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4010685

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 109
RE: Wish List - 3/6/2016 6:10:36 PM   
Meyer1

Thanks Larry, already seen it. Not very enlightening thread if you ask me, and that was a month and a half ago. We could use a more detailed update.

Post #: 110
RE: Wish List - 3/6/2016 9:43:51 PM   
tcarusil

My greatest wishes would be WEGO and hex side rivers, but I have no expectation that TOAW will ever see these features. Fortunately there are other TOAW like games in the making that offer these abilities.

Regards, RhinoBones

[/quote]

What games are you referencing? I would like to have something to look forward to.

TomC

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 111
RE: Wish List - 3/7/2016 3:52:41 AM   
Rokossovskiy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

Thanks Larry, already seen it. Not very enlightening thread if you ask me, and that was a month and a half ago. We could use a more detailed update.

Yes a kick in the face again is not good.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 112
RE: Wish List - 3/8/2016 12:10:35 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

Regards, RhinoBones

What games are you referencing? I would like to have something to look forward to.

TomC

Desert War 1940-43 you can find it at:

http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/index.html

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 113
RE: Wish List - 3/8/2016 5:20:24 PM   
tcarusil

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

Regards, RhinoBones

TomC

Desert War 1940-43 you can find it at:

http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/index.html

Regards

Yes.Have that one on my machine, but have not been able to spend much time with it.

Thanks for the response.

TomC

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 114
RE: Wish List - 3/10/2016 12:20:36 AM   
rhinobones

The game is still in work, but it should provide some of the features we would like to see in TOAW. Note that version 1.5.18 has recently been posted.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 115
RE: Wish List - 3/11/2016 10:11:13 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

The game is still in work

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 116
RE: Wish List - 3/12/2016 12:27:25 AM   
Meyer1

Lobster, I'm sure he meant the "Desert war" game as being still in work.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 117
RE: Wish List - 3/12/2016 1:32:23 AM   
rhinobones

Lob

Have you given the game a try?

Another nice thing about this game is that the author is in contact with the community. Responds to suggestions and gives information about the coding progress.

Nice to have an author that communicates, no NDA with this game.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 118
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI