Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Biggest Complaint

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Biggest Complaint Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 6:34:53 PM   
Tiger88_slith

So - really enjoying the heck out of this game....but....

My biggest complaint is the AI - on normal - seems my units cant hit Jack Shiola - but the AI - can kill at random. To me this is very unrealistic first of all - and 2nd sucks the enjoyment out of playing this game!

I just had an American Bazooka team blow away 3 Squads and Leader from 4 hexes out - the Bazooka teams max range!

Loosing damn near every scenario I play. The scenario #3 - as germans - My tiger tank could not hit crap! Than the American TD cleans up on my Tiger from 8hexes... just seems the AI is very out of whack and too strong.

I am wondering if other players have this same feeling as I?
Post #: 1
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 6:54:20 PM   
Monkie

I wasn't aware that the AI was given any bonus or column shifts when firing, if this is true it would be good to know. Since the system uses random number generators (aka dice) then there could always be extreme results no matter if it's AI or not.

Do you remember what the American bazooka team was? Half squad? Full squad? Airborne? Then we would know the firepower they possess. What were your defending units doing? moving in the open? sitting in cover? what kind of cover?

Are you using the ASL Mod which gives you numerical data on the range and firepower?

I tend to find the opposite result, units in cover can hammer away at each other turn after turn with little result unless you stack up a lot of firepower against the target.

I haven't had many vehicle vs vehicle fights yet but the tests I ran in the editor showed pretty believable results with early war 37mm battles vs early German tanks. I have noticed in replays that later war tank duels seem very bloody with most hits being kills.

(in reply to Tiger88_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 7:24:04 PM   
Gerry4321

Peter has said the AI does not get a bonus.

(in reply to Monkie)
Post #: 3
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 7:33:45 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

Peter has said the AI does not get a bonus.

Correct

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 4
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 7:55:36 PM   
Monkie

With that possibility eliminated you would have to look at the firepower, defensive terrain bonus and what the units were doing when fired upon to get an accurate idea of the AI's chances at eliminating 3 squads and a leader from approx. 160 meters range.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 5
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 8:59:20 PM   
idjester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiger 88

My biggest complaint is the AI - on normal - seems my units cant hit Jack Shiola - but the AI - can kill at random. To me this is very unrealistic first of all - and 2nd sucks the enjoyment out of playing this game!

I just had an American Bazooka team blow away 3 Squads and Leader from 4 hexes out - the Bazooka teams max range!

Loosing damn near every scenario I play. The scenario #3 - as germans - My tiger tank could not hit crap! Than the American TD cleans up on my Tiger from 8hexes... just seems the AI is very out of whack and too strong.

More than likely this comes down to your moving and firing while the enemy is staying still and firing at you. Trying to hit something after moving is very hard, try throwing a football while on the run with any accuracy is near impossible.
There are huge penalties for moving and firing or being in motion while trying to fire.

My last help for anyone playing this game is... this game is based upon several dice rolls (ASL system)... there is a dice roll for an attack and a dice roll for defense of that attack. So that means anything can happen and that is why people love to play ASL type games. I can take a single half squad and wipe out a few squads based upon those dies rolls that happen. I get one good one and you roll badly and blam your in trouble.

My advice is to watch a few of the videos out there and see what you might be doing wrong or get advice for how to play. I have created many videos just for this purpose to help players learn the system. Last night live steam dealt with many helpful hints and tips to help players.

ASL type games are not easy to conquer quickly until you learn the points about how to use your untis. The movement phase, defensive fire phase, and rout phase are vital important to learn about and know what your best options are.

< Message edited by idjester -- 3/12/2016 10:39:37 PM >

(in reply to Tiger88_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 9:26:15 PM   
36142CP

Wise words from the master The numerous modifiers and unlucky dice rolls all mixed in take their toll. I think it's easy to forget with a PC game that behind the scenes ALL the modifiers are considered by the AI, as over the board in real life we actually seem them working because we have to work them out, as with PC games they are 'hidden' or overlooked if you see what I mean. Sometimes it's easy to go through the motions on a PC game and click, click then realise there was a modifier for this or that which I forgot to consider prior to completing the previous phase etc. Hope that makes sense. My thoughts!

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 7
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 9:35:09 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: idjester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiger 88

More than likely this comes down to your moving and firing while the enemy is stilling still and firing at you. Trying to hit something after moving is very hard, try throwing a football while on the run with any accuracy is near impossible.
There are huge penalties for moving and firing or being in motion while trying to fire.

My last help for anyone playing this game is... this game is based upon several dice rolls (ASL system)... there is a dice roll for an attack and a dice roll for defense of that attack. So that means anything can happen and that is why people love to play ASL type games. I can take a single half squad and wipe out a few squads based upon those dies rolls that happen. I get one good one and you roll badly and blam your in trouble.

My advice is to watch a few of the videos out there and see what you might be doing wrong or get advice for how to play. I have created many videos just for this purpose to help players learn the system. Last night live steam dealt with many helpful hints and tips to help players.

ASL type games are not easy to conquer quickly until you learn the points about how to use your untis. The movement phase, defensive fire phase, and rout phase are vital important to learn about and know what your best options are.

You are the man idjester, pure poetry ! :)

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 8
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/12/2016 11:35:29 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

I had the same feeling when playing 'Desperate Counterattack' as the Germans.

It seemed that a single US infantry unit could break everything I had while I was in a stone building, but I couldn't twitch the curtains of his stone buildings even when blasting it with ridiculous amounts of firepower. And then, every rally phase his units (without leaders) self rallied every turn, while my units who had better morale couldn't rally even with a decent leader present.

But, at the end of the day, that's just how the dice roll sometimes. You just have to sigh, start again, and have another go, hoping the gods of war will be on your side this time.

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 9
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/13/2016 5:52:06 AM   
DoubleDeuce

I had a StuG III keep RoF 4 times and kill 3 T-34's who was then subsequently dispatched by another T-34. Another game, my mortars went the entire game without keeping RoF. IMHO, good and bad 'dice rolls' seem to come in batches, just like occasionally having hot or cold dice on the table.

< Message edited by Double Deuce -- 3/13/2016 5:53:41 AM >

(in reply to MikeMarchant_ssl)
Post #: 10
RE: Biggest Complaint - 3/13/2016 6:41:36 AM   
Krys

quote:

ORIGINAL: idjester

quote:

More than likely this comes down to your moving and firing while the enemy is staying still and firing at you. Trying to hit something after moving is very hard, try throwing a football while on the run with any accuracy is near impossible.

As I was reading the original post I immediately thought that he was probably firing while moving - which is very, very difficult in TOTH. Yes, the Abrams and other AFVs from the modern era can go that successfully, but in the mid 1940s it was extremely hard to hit anything while on the move.

Great answer from idjester! (which quite frankly should surprise no one who's been on these forums for a while)

So many games...so little time...

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Biggest Complaint Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI