Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternative Race Portraits for DWU & Extended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Alternative Race Portraits for DWU & Extended Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternative Race Portraits for DWU & Extended - 2/25/2016 11:16:56 PM   
Japhet

Well, over time I became quite dissatisfied with how the alien races in DW looked. The vanilla portraits were a little to comical and the others from the extended mod (and every other mod that is build upon it), while more "realistic", don't have as much personality like the vanilla ones imho. (ok, ok, I admit: the Securans weren't hot enough for my taste, sue me ).

So, I went scavenging the usual sites (not much of an artist myself) and collected a bunch of replacements that I liked and thought I might aswell share them with you. Most of them are from the card games Galaxy Saga and Legend of Cryptis, but I edited some of them so that they looked more like the vanilla races.

I'm not quite satisfied with the new Ketarov, they look like bears not like dogs, and the new Ikkuro have no ears, but overall the new pics fit the races quite nicely.

I also included galactopedia entries updated with the new pics and new character portraits for some of the races.

Note: this isn't a full mod, just a pic replacer. So if you're gonna switch the pics out, make a backup for the old ones.

For Vanilla DWU:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ol6pzg75r6msiq2/DWU+-+Alt.+Portraits.rar

For Extended Universe:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0v1vww8lsp1snmw/DWU+-+Alt.+Portraits+for+Extended+Universe.rar

Note: View the pic below in the attachment, if you want to take a look before downloading the hole thing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 3/5/2016 8:35:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 2/26/2016 6:28:11 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Some of those are darn funny..

I think it's cool you put effort into this..

What do you call that type of Alien that the Securans are anyway? Kinda like the Avatar creature crap right? Which leads me too, Can you make an all "hot"-only Portrait mod? haha.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 2/26/2016 3:58:53 PM   
Japhet

What do you mean? This IS an hot-only portrait mod! Just look at this shirtless Mortalen warrior with his bulking biceps or the dashing Shandar explorer!

Well, the Securans are more of the "hot alien babe race" type, like the twileks from Star Wars (and I just realized the Atuuk are DWs Ewoks ), the Navi from Avatar are...blue wood elves in cat form? You know, the holier-than-thou-alien race.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 2/26/2016 4:50:21 PM   
GripHAHA

Not to shabby, like a few of 'em.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 4
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 2/27/2016 6:39:21 PM   
Zuriel

Yessss, this style meshes so well. For me anyway. Gonna use most of these. Purrfect for characters, pirates, and/or default race pics.

The Teekan, look Teekan! Though somewhat taller.. but whatever. The Ikkuro are good. Love the Shandar. The Gizurean and the background fits nicely. The old man would make a nice troop general to crush the former. The Atuuks... have changed my perspective; had no idea they were so deadly... The Naxxilians even more so. And the Securans now have a fleet admiral and/or ship captain (tyvm)!

Haven't checked the bio's though, yet so much good here. You did an excellent job of finding and editing these. Thanks for sharing.

"If strength were all, tiger would not fear scorpion."

(in reply to GripHAHA)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 3/5/2016 8:45:24 PM   
Japhet

Thanks Zuriel!

I created another image pack for Extended Universe, as it is the most popular mod for DW and personally, I hate it when there are to many different art styles that don't fit with each other. I could'nt find a good pic for the Jintus and several other replacements are suboptimal, but it works, I guess.

Oh, I also reuploaded a new DWU pack with a different and more fitting Kaidian portrait. Have fun!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 3/5/2016 8:47:09 PM >

(in reply to Zuriel)
Post #: 6
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 3/6/2016 4:26:22 AM   
Unforeseen

I really like these. Nice job!

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 7
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 3/17/2016 1:38:32 AM   
Canardu57

Love it. Nice job !

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 8
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/5/2016 9:01:38 AM   
phi6

Hey, just wanted to say I think these are great. I've ended up using all of these in my current extended game. One slight issue, do you perhaps have any alternative images for Yl'ta (and perhaps Kiadian) as their compression quality is quite low. Other than that, fantastic job!

Do you mind if I use these in an upcoming compilation mod?

(in reply to Canardu57)
Post #: 9
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/5/2016 12:38:55 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

here in the OkiNaWa planet we liked your portraits

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 10
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/5/2016 4:22:49 PM   
Japhet

quote:

here in the OkiNaWa planet we liked your portraits

quote:

Hey, just wanted to say I think these are great. I've ended up using all of these in my current extended game. One slight issue, do you perhaps have any alternative images for Yl'ta (and perhaps Kiadian) as their compression quality is quite low. Other than that, fantastic job!

Do you mind if I use these in an upcoming compilation mod?

Good to hear that you two like them. Go ahead and used them as you want, no need for credits, because they are not really my own creation.

As for the Ylta and Kaidians, it was a pain in the ass to find some fitting pcs for them (and the Jintus, dear god theese were the worst!). They are low quality because I had to enlarge them greatly for obvious reasons:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/galaxysaga/images/5/5a/Larzon%2C_One-Man_Band.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121207192051

I have some bird alien pics that would fit, perhaps one of them suits you more. Kaidians, well, not so much. Sorry.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 11
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/5/2016 11:16:00 PM   
phi6

Ah, thanks for those! I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into sourcing :)

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 12
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/6/2016 2:18:20 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

the labours of love shines

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 13
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/7/2016 2:40:50 PM   
phi6

Japhet, thanks for the extra bird pics, I ended up using the second one as I quite liked the "gold" armour to represent their past greed.

Found a discrepancy with the Jintus - in your zip file the race image still uses the old one from Extended Universe. The new Jintus image (the one you modified from Ugnari) only appears on the help file, so I had to extract that out.

I really do like your green Ugnari modified image for Jintus - I think it works great :)

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 14
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/8/2016 4:00:03 PM   
Japhet

Ah, no. It's actually the other way around. I decided to use the old original Jintus image, because I didn't like the modified one and completley forgot the updated pic in the help files.

As for the Kaidians, you may try one of theese:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 4/8/2016 4:02:18 PM >

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 15
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/8/2016 5:11:25 PM   
phi6

The Jintus are species offshoot from the Ugnari anyway, right? Your modification in that case works perfectly, haha :)

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 16
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 4/8/2016 9:04:24 PM   
phi6

I ended up using the 3rd picture for the Kiadians btw - much better resolution and still the same race :) Thanks so much!

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 17
RE: Alternative Race Portraits - 5/12/2016 3:48:38 PM   
patdoomdoom

very good!!! i like Thanks

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Alternative Race Portraits for DWU & Extended Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI