Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Updated Scenario: Crimea River

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Updated Scenario: Crimea River Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/19/2016 9:59:06 PM   
Kitchens Sink

The winter of 2015 was a brutal one for the people of Crimea. Due to the collapse in oil prices and continued economic sanctions by the West, the Russian Federation economy was in shambles. Food and fuel shortages in Crimea were widespread, and the Unemployment Rate was over 40%. It became apparent to many in Crimea that re-joining the Russian Federation was not the utopia they dreamed of (and voted for).

In January 2016 dissatisfaction turned to uprising. The first Crimean rebellion started in the city of Kerch. Spetnaz Special Forces units brutally put down the uprising, killing approximately 150 unarmed protesters. Mass protests quickly spread to other parts of Crimea and ended in the same way; with the Speznatz. Vocal leaders of the opposition simply "disappeared".

Western Powers and NATO were undecided on what action to take. The Crimean people had "made their own bed" hadn't they? But the brutality and killing were difficult to stomach. The United Nations could not get any type of Referendum through the Security Council due to the veto power of Russia and China. A purely diplomatic solution seemed unlikely, and there was little international support for military action.

Then, in early February 2016, a CNN News camera crew secretly took footage of troops with no insignia placing bodies in a mass grave at a desolate area outside of the City of Simferopol. It was determined that the mass grave contained the bodies of Crimean dissident leaders, along with their families. When the footage aired on the CNN broadcast network, the political and military situation changed dramatically.

NATO is going to take action. The United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, and (to a limited extent) Turkey are planning a large strike on Russian military assets in Crimea. It was hoped that a large enough strike by so many NATO Member Nations would send a clear message to Russia that the continued annexation of Crimea was no longer in their best interest.

Two U.S Carrier Strike Groups have combined into a powerful Carrier Battle Group designated Task Force 60, under command of the US 6th Fleet. The multi-national Standing NATO Maritime Force Group 2 (SNMFG2) has been reinforced and will act as a screening group for TF 60. Three NATO front-line submarines are on patrol in the Med, and NATO Airbases have been reinforced with front-line fighters, bombers, and ASW patrol aircraft.

Russia has not been caught flat-footed, and a formidable Russian force is squared off against NATO. Russia had been re-establishing it's 5th Med Squadron and it has now left it's base in Tartus, Syria and joined with the Battle Cruiser Admiral Nakhimov and carrier Admiral Kunetsov which recently passed through the Suez Canal into the Eastern Med. Major units of the Baltic Fleet have left Sevastopol with it's Flagship Slava-class cruiser Moskva. Several Russian diesel electric and nuclear attack submarines are thougth to be operating in the Eastern Med. Russian airfields in and around Crimea have been reinforced with fighters and bombers, and Russian land-based air defense systems have also been upgraded.

The NATO codename has been generated: OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP, and the authorization has been given to proceed.

New Version dated 4/16/2016 Attached. Change Log:

Changed Operation name to CLEAN SWEEP
Beefed up Merzifon, Aviano, and Incirlik AAW, Jamming, and SAM capabilities a bit
Changed all "prohibited" Russian Airbases to Single-Unit Airfields
Added some Cross-Use Munitions to Merzifon, Incirlik, Souda, and Aviano to allow Forward-Basing
Updated some TF 60 Helos to "R" Model
Various tweaks to Russian attack targets and timing
Updated NATO Briefing (Reading it carefully will help you a lot)

I did not add any Ukrainian forces, it got too "messy"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitchens Sink -- 4/16/2016 4:40:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/19/2016 10:27:37 PM   
Jecchus

Hi Kitchens Sink,

I enjoyed this scenario a couple weeks ago (even through its problematic speed). For me is on of the best in "modern, non-persian gulf category".

But I can't realised why "OPERATION BALTIC JUSTICE"? It's about Black Sea...

(in reply to Kitchens Sink)
Post #: 2
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/19/2016 10:41:38 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Because sometimes I get Geo-challenged and didn't realize that the Baltic States were far to the North of where the action is. Thanks for the first suggested scenario change

(in reply to Jecchus)
Post #: 3
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/19/2016 10:58:06 PM   
Excroat3

I don't have 1.11 installed (yet) so I downloaded the beta you posted earlier. A few comments before I dive into the action:
Maybe Single-Unit airfields for the airbases that are not going to be directly attacked? Might help a bit for performance.
No Ukrainians? I would think that for any NATO offensive aimed at liberating (in my opinion) Ukrainian territory, that the military of Ukraine might play some role in the fighting, either with their Air Force, Navy, or both. My apologies if anything I suggested has already been included in the 1.11 version of your scenario, I aim to get 1.11 sometime this weekend.

Post #: 4
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/19/2016 11:14:11 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Both are valid points, but not addressed in this latest update.

There are several airbases that can be converted to single-unit. I just got lazy because I have to replace all the aircraft/magazine weapons/missions at those bases once I convert them (a daunting task at some airbases on the Russian side). I will look into it for the next version though.

I considered adding Ukrainians to the mix of things, but the scenario was getting so big I felt I needed to draw the line. You are right, they should have some forces active (not under NATO control). Maybe with the 1.11 improvements adding some Ukraine forces would be more manageable. I have made a note for the next version to look into it.

Thanks for the input!

P.S. I also just realized that I did not reset the Victory Scoring from Default (100=Triumph). I will need to change that in the next update also.

< Message edited by Kitchens Sink -- 3/19/2016 11:33:43 PM >

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 5
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/21/2016 4:23:17 AM   
magi

i really like this so far... only into it an hour or so.... what are the russian intentions.... what have they got in syria? i admire that you set up all those missions.... that was a lot of work.... im olny just into it... i lot of stuff to figure out...

< Message edited by magi -- 3/21/2016 5:20:57 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/21/2016 1:16:43 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Thanks magi, yes I did put some labor into this one.

As to your questions; I think I covered what Russia has in Syria in the Briefing under "Enemy Force Disposition". As to Russian intentions, my view of the world is that NATO is getting ready to try to play in Russia's sandbox...their backyard, and Russia is going to make things as painful as possible for the NATO strike planners. This includes spoiler attacks and aggressive AAW operations using their most advanced fighters. Their hope would be a limited engagement or cancellation of NATO operations, and their continued occupation of Crimea.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 7
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/21/2016 5:50:09 PM   
magi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitchens Sink

Thanks magi, yes I did put some labor into this one.

As to your questions; I think I covered what Russia has in Syria in the Briefing under "Enemy Force Disposition". As to Russian intentions, my view of the world is that NATO is getting ready to try to play in Russia's sandbox...their backyard, and Russia is going to make things as painful as possible for the NATO strike planners. This includes spoiler attacks and aggressive AAW operations using their most advanced fighters. Their hope would be a limited engagement or cancellation of NATO operations, and their continued occupation of Crimea.

Okidokie.....

Post #: 8
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/23/2016 7:17:07 PM   
magi

monday night... i got obsessed with this scenario and played till six in the morning.... brother... i really like it but its so much work....

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 9
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 3/23/2016 9:57:45 PM   
Kitchens Sink

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi

monday night... i got obsessed with this scenario and played till six in the morning.... brother... i really like it but its so much work....

Good God Man! Take deep breaths and slowly back away from the keyboard.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 10
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/7/2016 1:15:09 AM   
magi

where are we at with this...? im going to try again...

< Message edited by magi -- 4/7/2016 1:17:37 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/7/2016 12:45:09 PM   
Kitchens Sink

I am waiting for some feedback on any suggested changes, etc.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 12
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/12/2016 6:55:35 AM   
magi

this thing is a lot of work... im surprised that by turning a couple features off that it runs ok on my machine with a 2894 unit count.. at this time...

merzifon is so under defended.. much micro managing to keep it from not being overwhelmed... moved a lot of stuff north and east... compass calls are marginal performers.. i added a few growlers... which are used jointly... i am ferrying aircraft to eastern bases.. however they do not often have comparable munitions... so im adding some in...

there is so much to do in the beginning... that it has taken me hours to play an hour of game time... it is a very involving scenario and other than the disposition of some of blue assets.. i really like it a lot... i haven't got a clue how long it will take me to finish... and i will admit i am slow...

< Message edited by magi -- 4/12/2016 6:59:53 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/12/2016 11:04:46 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Yes, the scenario is not small or easy. I programmed the Russian side to give severe headaches to NATO in planning strike missions. NATO has superior forces overall and can (eventually) wear down the Russian defenses. But I wanted to make players work for it

Merzifon AB was a late addition to the Scenario to take some pressure off of Incirlik. Not to spoil things, but Merzifon AB isn't really on the Russians Hit List (but its aircraft are definitely targets once launched). I'll look at beefing up the SAM defenses or adding a few more CAP aircraft.

I didn't really check on the effectiveness of the Compass Call aircraft. It seems to vary with different CMANO Builds, but I will check it out. I also hadn't considered ferry and forward-basing of aircraft and the airbase munitions issue either. I had assumed players would use Tankers and make the long-hauls from home bases.

Good input.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 14
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/13/2016 2:46:44 AM   
magi

okidokie....

merzifon because of its positioning is the most important blue base... and also poses the most immediate threat to red force.... i believe it is logical that it presents itself as an alpha target.. it should be attacked by red... but it should have a chance to defend itself till reinforcements arrive...

ferrying aircraft souda, incirlik, merzifon.. is a prudent thing to do.. and is a force multiplier.. they can rally with a tanker.. do a mission or not.. and be assigned to a base closer to the action.. i believe it should be a tactical option left open to the player... it will also make managing the game easier for me... so far ive just been moving some fighters.. growlers and a couple of hawkeyes.. over towards merzifon.. struggling to take control the battle space over the black sea...

i notice you used 2 different generations of f35's and they different versions of aim120's.. i believe it would be better for them to all be the same... oh... i see some are turkish... we aren't giving them the 120d model aims... oh well....

well... ill keep peeling back the layer of the onion tonight...

Post #: 15
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/15/2016 9:58:49 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Ok, thanks. I have a new version just about ready with input received here. Will post the new version and change log sometime over the weekend.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 16
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/16/2016 1:46:30 AM   
magi

cool..... i think it just needs a few things shifted around a bit... but i want you to know that i think this thing youve done here is really stunning... i believe.... it is one of the finest scenarios i have fooled with... like top 3 for me... the way you composed your attacks by red force is unrelenting... its like i never get a break... just when i think i am starting to get some control... another wave of boogie men start rolling in from a different direction... it is so intense... immersive... the first 2-3 hours of game time has taken me 2-3 days to play... i was at this bloody thing til six in the morning last night.... whata guy...

this your deal... but here are some inputs i would like to make:

*give merzifon some more defensive ability... air and ground... so they might survive attack till they are re-enforced... you could shift the f22's there and add a couple of growlers... un-stealthy aircraft hardly survive in the black sea region with all the s300 batteries and high end fighters... i had them south of merzifon with a growler up ad they were still dodging bullets...

*put a couple of growlers at incerlik.... the s300 batteries are an unrelenting menace.... maybe some dead munitions also.... i dont know how many harms i fired at the s300 at latakia before i finally damaged it with my last bullet... and the strikers were supported by a growler and a bunch of malds....

*this is a little detail... the sh-60f oceanhawks are being replaced with the sh-60 reomeo's... there should be fewer f's and more r's....

*maybe add a jstar... they would probably use one if this was the real deal...

ive only played a few hours of game time... so dont have much more to say for now... what you have done so far is a lot of work for sure... and very clever indeed... good for you...

Post #: 17
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/16/2016 2:49:04 AM   
Kitchens Sink

Great input and high praise. Thank you!

I'm sure by now you have also been introduced to the R-37 Arrow AAM, or as I like to call it...the "Phoenix-ski". These can also put a dent in your forces.

FYI..I did have a couple of J-Stars and Rivet Joints in a very early version of the scenario, but got tired of watching the air crews get slaughtered because of the SAM and AAW threats. I just couldn't get them close enough to do any good so I switched to the Triton and RQ-180 UAV's (similar capabilities but more disposable and the RQ has some stealth capabilities).

I will incorporate more of your comments into what I am working on...should be done by Sunday a.m.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 18
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/16/2016 3:39:01 AM   
magi

your welcome.... great work...

yes i have been dealing with the mig 31s and your so called phoenixski missile... really annoying... i could not figure what was going on... their flight profile was different... i kept going in to the data base trying to figure out what was going on... eventually i figured they were coming from the mig 31s and were prosecuting my support aircraft... they got my awacs out of merzifon and almost had my tankers there also... i believe the growler helped save them.... they are now raiding my assets around incerlik and i am about to lose my awacs down there to boot...i am perusing them aggressively now with f22/f35s...

will be interested to see your next version... im going to keep playing this till then...

< Message edited by magi -- 4/16/2016 3:42:17 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/16/2016 4:40:20 PM   
Kitchens Sink

New version and change log submitted in the original post.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 20
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/16/2016 11:03:06 PM   
magi

cool....

Post #: 21
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/18/2016 1:48:12 AM   
magi

just started last night, just into the first hour of game time... blue composition is much easier to deal with in the east.... those mig 31ski's are a absolute pain... i almost lost my awacs going north in the first 20 minutes of game time.....

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 22
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/18/2016 4:23:35 AM   
orca

I just loaded and will begin shortly. But first thing I noticed was the SA-20s and Bird Bird radars in Greece and Crete on the NATO side. Is there a reason for this?

Also, can some of the NATO based from from the action be made single unit bases and can their radars/SAM/AAA be removed? Unless these come under attack later in the scenario.

Anything not necessary to unit number and improve scenario performance is helpful.

But first looks the scenario looks great.

< Message edited by orca -- 4/18/2016 4:36:16 AM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 23
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/18/2016 12:48:49 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Orca,

The Big Bird/SA-20 pair in Northern Greece will be helpful to you in tracking Russian Forces over the western Black Sea. The Big Bird/SA-20 pair on Crete will be essential to you later (don't want to spoil things ).

I tried to put as many airbases as single unit fields as I could. But the Russian Kh-101 cruise missile has a range of 1600 miles. As you will find out, many NATO bases could be attacked, but not necessarily all will be. If I change some to single-unit fields I felt it would give away which ones were not targets, thus spoiling some of the fun.

Hopefully the scenario runs ok as it stands now. The developers have done a great job in improving game performance. Have fun!

(in reply to orca)
Post #: 24
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/18/2016 3:45:01 PM   
orca

Thanks for the reply and for the scenario.

The reason I asked about the SA-20 and Big Bird is because they are Russian systems and wasn't sure why they were on the NATO side.

< Message edited by orca -- 4/18/2016 3:46:41 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/18/2016 3:48:03 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: orca

Thanks for the reply and for the scenario.

The reason I asked about the SA-20 and Big Bird is because they are Russian systems and wasn't sure why they were on the NATO side.

Look under operators. Explains why in real life Greece has this system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_(missile)

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to orca)
Post #: 26
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/18/2016 11:03:33 PM   
Kitchens Sink

I uploaded this to the Community Scenario Pack site. Its about as good as I can make it.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 27
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/19/2016 8:44:32 AM   
magi

you have auto side ID on for red...?

< Message edited by magi -- 4/19/2016 9:08:37 AM >

Post #: 28
RE: Updated Scenario: Crimea River - 4/19/2016 11:17:45 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Yes, Red is on Auto-Side ID. Is it causing a problem?

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Updated Scenario: Crimea River Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI