Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Too much information from passive sonar?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Too much information from passive sonar? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:17:20 PM   
neno

In Command, the submarine's passive sonar is able to determine to which side a contact belongs to. This shouldn't be possible by sonar alone, unless it's a ship that is unique to one country (like US carriers).

you can see in the save, that the sub identified both ships and determined their side. Both ships are identical, one neutral, one hostile.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:20:03 PM   
neno

Screenshot:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to neno)
Post #: 2
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:23:45 PM   
mikmykWS

Command is a sim/game so needs to be able to handle some of the reasoning human crews do.

I wish all we had to do was detect

Mike

(in reply to neno)
Post #: 3
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:35:37 PM   
neno

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Command is a sim/game so needs to be able to handle some of the reasoning human crews do.

Mike

Fair enough, I guess.

If you don't mind, I'd like to suggest to leave the current detection system for warships only, but make non-visual detection unable to identify the side for civilian ships. The reasoning behind this is that the subs have warships acoustic signatures in their databases, but not of the civilian ships.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:44:00 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

Mike

As interested as I am in how the technicians do their job, if I wanted to do that work, I'd have looked for a game that emulated how to use a weapon system instead of one that allowed me to command it.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 5
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:48:28 PM   
ComDev

What version of the sim are you using?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 6
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 2:50:45 PM   
neno

quote:

ORIGINAL: emsoy

What version of the sim are you using?

1.11 RC2 B803

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 7
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/20/2016 5:30:26 PM   
Beckles

quote:

ORIGINAL: neno

If you don't mind, I'd like to suggest to leave the current detection system for warships only, but make non-visual detection unable to identify the side for civilian ships. The reasoning behind this is that the subs have warships acoustic signatures in their databases, but not of the civilian ships.
I'm not sure why you believe that they wouldn't have signatures of non-combatants. I believe the civilian ships are truly generic, I agree with your basic premise that it seems like it would be difficult to discern a Russian 150,000 DWT dry bulk carrier from a Chinese one, but it actually may not be as difficult as you think because chances are even though the game models them as the same generic class, in actual practice they would be different, in particular they would have differences in their propulsion system (different engines and different propellers in particular) that would create different passive noise signatures. I don't disagree that it still seems like it would be much more difficult for a sonar operator to distinguish the two in such a situation, but I do disagree with your reasoning to some extent and don't think it's as difficult as you believe it is.

(in reply to neno)
Post #: 8
RE: Too much information from passive sonar? - 3/21/2016 12:45:31 AM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: neno

quote:

Mike

Fair enough, I guess.

I can purchase a subscription to a commercial web site and learn about the country of origin, location, and documented routing for any commercial ship tracked by satellite, GPS repeaters, and / or land based radio broadcast triangulation techniques.

I think most military detection / tracking systems, using supplementation from acoustic signature analysis, image analysis, and a basic radio signal intelligence can build on that to create a pretty accurate picture of eligible targets in a combat zone.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to neno)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Too much information from passive sonar? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI