Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Soviet AI and Leningrad

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The Soviet AI and Leningrad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Soviet AI and Leningrad - 3/24/2016 11:06:55 AM   
Powloon

I'm playing as the Axis under version 1.08.08. I've set the AI settings to 109 for everything and avoided any use of HQ Build ups.

At the end of turn 11 my spearheads are 2-3 hexes from Leningrad and Moscow and 8 or 9 from Rostov. Basically it appears 80-90% of the AI's OOB is trying to defend the approaches to Leningrad with a carpet of units whilst the centre and the south are essentially open with no coherent line and no defence other than my lack of movement points. I am particularly mystified why Moscow appears so undefended. Is the AI hard-coded to defend Leningrad?

I was also wondering does the AI rely on the HI, Arm factories etc or does it essentially have a free pool of units devices it can use? I've no wish to break the AI so if it does in fact rely on production in the same manner as a player it would be useful to know so that I can modify my play to give it more time to evacuate.

< Message edited by Powloon -- 3/24/2016 11:09:29 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Soviet AI and Leningrad - 3/24/2016 3:16:50 PM   
heliodorus04

How many prisoners have you taken?

You might have over-encircled the enemy.

In my experience, it is necessary to turn down Axis default settings to get a more historically accurate result.
Also, by setting things at 109 instead of 110, you deprived the AI of some bonuses that it probably really needs. I play the AI with German settings at 90 or 95 (possible exception of morale, which you may want to keep at 100), and I set the Soviet AI to 115 on everything except fortification (which I set at 120).

It is normal for the area from Rostov to Vorenezh to be largely undefended in the later turns of your 1941 summer. It won't last forever, believe me! By Fall there will be armored brigades and infantry everywhere swarming you back to Stalino...

However, when the south is being robbed of Soviet power, you usually see it clustered hard from Tula to Leningrad. So when you say that Moscow is undefended, I'm a little concerned you've over-encircled the Soviets perhaps due to settings that are too much against the skill you have as an Axis player. If your German army is at about 3.3 million and your Soviet army is at least 4.5 or greater, then you're looking at a pretty 'normal' position on Turn 11. If the Soviet is getting above 5 million, then it can give you a bad winter, especially if you fail to take Leningrad's port supply. You MUST take Leningrad for a solid winter defense.

Also, the AI reinforcements are lowest between turns 9 and 11 (give or take 1). So see what happens between 12 and 17... You might be met by strong resistance soon.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 2
RE: The Soviet AI and Leningrad - 3/24/2016 4:30:38 PM   
Powloon

Thanks heliodorus! So far I've taken around 2.6M prisoners with the lowest number of units destroyed in a turn being 25 so perhaps you are right that I have over done it some what on the pockets

Hopefully as you say I will start to run into heavier resistance over the coming turns. My main worry was the AI's seeming over prioritising of Leningrad's defence although I've never really played through as far as this in the campaign so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I had intended this game as a learning game before moving on to PBEM but playing head to head might be a more useful learning experience.

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 3
RE: The Soviet AI and Leningrad - 3/24/2016 5:13:32 PM   
heliodorus04

If you have 2.5 million prisoners by Turn 11 then the Soviet AI is pretty well screwed at this point.
That explains enough to me to recommend you start over or move on to people (note that playing people will be way different, so read some AARs to see how the better players handle the Axis).

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The Soviet AI and Leningrad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI