Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED B808] ECM vs. radar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B808] ECM vs. radar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED B808] ECM vs. radar - 3/26/2016 6:07:11 PM   
sergiopl

Iīm not sure if this is a bug in the game or in my own brain... so I would try to explain it

It appears that the jamming of a surface radar (I didnīt check with any other) itīs a matter of the direction of approach.

In the test scenario of the attached file I positioned 8 Prowlers around a Nimitz-class CVN. Then, with the carrier sailing to the north, I began a series of runs with a Backfire-C. Detection ranges were from 240 nm (from north and south) to 140 (from east and west). From NW. and NE. the carrier was detected at 190 nm and from SW. and SE. at 210 nm.

Then I turn the ship to the east, to try with another target aspect, but the results were nearly identical for every bearing. I also try putting the Prowlers on a circuit abeam instead of head-on/tail-on to the snooper, but to no avail.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by emsoy -- 3/27/2016 2:40:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/26/2016 8:39:42 PM   
wild_Willie2

The aspect to the profile of the target is also factored into radar detection range, also the lobes of the jammers are being factored in. So if you are side on to a target and the jamming aircraft turns away or sideways to you, the jamming power goes down while the target radar reflection goes up. I don't know if this is the cause of this issue, but it could be factored into this issue.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 2
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/26/2016 9:10:16 PM   
ComDev

The reason is that the radar is extremely powerful, so it is able to burn through the jamming. It is currently 750 kW which is a lot, and it also has a rather narrow beamwidth which gives each pulse a lot of ompf.

If you suspect this may be wrong, feel free to dig into the matter. Example ranges vs target types, radar stats, etc, would be much appreciated

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 3
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/26/2016 9:20:40 PM   
sergiopl

I thought that at first... but I tried with different aspects with the same results, always with the jammer between the target and the radar.

Maybe Iīm getting something wrong... it wouldnīt be the first time

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 4
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/26/2016 9:35:18 PM   
sergiopl

If the radar would have detected the carrier at max range all the times, I would think that it was merely a matter of power output.

But in my test scenario, the only variable is the bearing from which the aircraft approaches. When the Backfire comes from N. or S., detection range is 240 nm. When coming from E. or W. it is 140 nm... regardless of the aspect.

I canīt write the exact figures right here (the forum thinks that Iīm writing phone numbers ).

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 5
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/26/2016 11:14:15 PM   
ComDev

Ah yeah the carrier is heading east, which means broadside is north and south. Hence earlier detection, since the carrier has larger signature from that aspect

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 6
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 12:45:28 AM   
sergiopl

But the weird thing is that if the carrier heads north, pointing its bow to the radar, the detection range is still 240 nm... AND if the aircraft approaches from the East and the carrier is heading North, with its broadside directed towards the radar, detection range is reduced to 140 nm.

< Message edited by sergiopl -- 3/27/2016 12:49:09 AM >

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 7
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 11:04:09 AM   
sergiopl

Iīm going to try to explain it again, this time with images taken from my test scenario (see Attachment in the opening post of the thread). Maybe Iīm a little mess trying to explain it with words (as you would suspect, English is not my mother tongue ).

First of all, this is the disposition of the jammers around the carrier, heading north at the beggining of the test:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 8
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 11:08:27 AM   
sergiopl

Now, letīs begin with the test runs with the Backfire-C.

First, I turned the carrier to the east. Then the bomber approaches from the north and...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 9
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 11:11:30 AM   
sergiopl

Nothing weird in the first test run. The Down Beat itīs a very powerful radar, and the carrierīs broadside has a huge radar cross section.

Letīs try the second run, this time approaching from the east:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sergiopl -- 3/27/2016 11:23:23 AM >

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 10
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 11:14:01 AM   
sergiopl

Again, nothing weird. The ship is pointing the bow towards the radar, so the radar cross section is less than before. But now... Left full rudder!

This time, the bomber approaches from the north, with the carrierīs bow pointed in his direction, and...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sergiopl -- 3/27/2016 11:24:55 AM >

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 11
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 11:19:22 AM   
sergiopl

As you can see, the carrier is detected again at nearly 240 nm, despite the fact that her bow is pointed directly to the bomber (as we seen before, when heading east, detection range was 140 nm in the same case... the only difference is the direction of approach).

And what if the Backfire approaches from the east to the broadside of the carrier? Detection range should be around 240 nm, but...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sergiopl -- 3/27/2016 11:33:31 AM >

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 12
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 11:29:57 AM   
sergiopl

It appears that the detection range itīs a matter of the direction of approach. Two examples from the "real" world:

- A Backfire raid taking off from Sovetskaya Gavan, in the Soviet Pacific coast, would detect a battlegroup located in the Western Pacific only at 140 nm (detection range is the same from east or west).

But...

- A Backfire raid taking off from Crimea would detect the ships at 240 nm... only because it approaches from the north.

The same occurs both with the Prowlers or with the carrier own ECM (detection ranges are nearly identical).

I hope my comments to be of some usefulness to the fantastic development team. Keep working on it, youīre great!

< Message edited by sergiopl -- 3/27/2016 11:38:01 AM >

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 13
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 2:39:22 PM   
ComDev

Thanks for the clarification

Fixed B808!

(in reply to sergiopl)
Post #: 14
RE: ECM vs. radar - 3/27/2016 3:41:39 PM   
sergiopl

Thanks to all of you for your outstanding work

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B808] ECM vs. radar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI