Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT:Is the F-35 Worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/26/2016 6:31:53 PM   
Footslogger

Happy Easter everyone!

I saw this article and wondered how the F-35 could cost sooo much and yet it may not be ready till 2020?

One thing I learned is that Lockheed Martin has a monopoly on the fighter industry, while Russia has two competitors.

That's my two cents.

http://www.thespreadit.com/f-35-1-trillion-70819/

Post #: 1
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/26/2016 7:58:15 PM   
AW1Steve

Two questions I have to ask you. 1) if it's not "ready" , then why is it already in squadron service. 2)Did you ever hear of a company called Northrop Grumman?

The plane is here. It's main version is in service, and pilots are being trained to fly it. Not just in the USA but among our allies too. Northrop Grumman competed against the F-35. It lost. So no it's not currently building fighters. But I pretty much can promise you that if the US military offers big contract for fighters , they'll compete. Of course by the same standard of this "journalist", then Northrop Grumman has the monopoly on bombers cause they are the only one building them.

Just because a runner does not win a race doesn't mean he didn't compete. Just because a company wins a contract , it doesn't mean it has a "monopoly". What's that line from Princess Bride? "you keep using the word , but I don't think you know what it means".

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 1:57:26 PM   
geofflambert

I knew you'd come back, Steve.

Boeing is currently building fighters as well, and may find a way to keep going or make a comeback. Anyways, the F-22 cost (as stated by wiki p) is $150 M and is much less versatile than the F-35 which is priced (by wiki p) at $106 M. Carrier aircraft are just a lot more valuable to the US and allies. My vote is yes, they are worth it, but I won't mind us building some more F-18s for stability while bugs are fixed when they pop up. We've had at least one case of the entire F-35 fleet being grounded for a short period and we need a reliable alternative until the F-35 has been in service for 2 or 3 years more.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 6:20:14 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I knew you'd come back, Steve.

Boeing is currently building fighters as well, and may find a way to keep going or make a comeback. Anyways, the F-22 cost (as stated by wiki p) is $150 M and is much less versatile than the F-35 which is priced (by wiki p) at $106 M. Carrier aircraft are just a lot more valuable to the US and allies. My vote is yes, they are worth it, but I won't mind us building some more F-18s for stability while bugs are fixed when they pop up. We've had at least one case of the entire F-35 fleet being grounded for a short period and we need a reliable alternative until the F-35 has been in service for 2 or 3 years more.

Boeing builds the F-18 and it's various versions. Here's the problem. It was designed as the lightweight F-17 , and went up against the F-16 in the mid to late 1070's. It lost. About the same time the USMC was planning on taking delivery of the F-14. The Marines considered the Tomcat to be "too-much" plane , and wanted something cheaper, simpler, easier to maintain (especially under field conditions) but said plane had to be capable of conversion to CV duty and most of all should have two engines for overwater flight safety. That let out the F-16. So McDonald Douglas customized the brand new F-18. Hey presto the USMC has a short range throw away fighter bomber. The Navy need a replacement for the A-7, and would soon need a replacement for the A-6. And By the way , we have a problem with the two Midway class CV's, they can't carry Tomcats. So the Navy began buying them. The fighter never had the range , sophistication , etc, etc to please everyone, so it became the "good enough" fighter bomber. The problem was when the A-6 replacement became scandal ridden and over complicated there was no quick replacement in sight. So the F-18 became the F/A18 , the fighter-bomber-tanker-reconnaissance-electronic-mailplane -cook and bottle washer. It did all of these functions more or less adequately, in a time period when Navy and Marine war planes (or for that matter the Navy or Marines) were not high on Congress's budget plans. Does it help fight war on land " Does it support us in Afghanistan? Yeah , ok, we'll spend money on it.Everything else goes on hold.

Then the Tomcat retires due to excessive maintenance costs. While the Tomcat was an outstanding fighter bomber , it was always in too short supply to use in that role. It was the best fighter the Navy had , some would say in the world. The only extra job it was permitted was flying RECON with a special TARPS pod. But ironically in it's twilight it was allowed to be tried as a attack plan and the F-14B "BombCat" was born , and it was very, very good.

So we now reach a point where naval and Marine aviation is driven entirely by costs. The S-3 Viking is retired , leaving no fixed wing , medium ASW available to CV's. Only helo's , which are pulled in 6 directions doing logistics, patrol, Short-range ASW , and a dozen other housekeeping chores. CV's have only ONE plane to carry out air dense (short range) attack (short to medium , there is NO long range CV attack any more) and limited early warning. That's it. And the F-18, even though bears very little resemblance to it's sire, is a early 1970's design that greatest attribute has been it was "affordable". Now the USMC needs another "affordable" , a need also shared by the RN, the RAF, RAAF, USN, JMSDF and a host of allies. This plane must replace the AV-8. various Harriers, the F-16, F-18, EA-6, and possibly the A-10. It must be land based , conventionally CV based (catapults and tail hooks) and VTOL. WOW! Well, like it or nothere is no other plane in sight that can do all that. Even though it's another jack of all trades, master of none, SINGLE-engine , try to satisfy everyone air plane. So it's not so much a matter of "is this a great plane?' and more of a "do we have any other real choice?".

Things designed by committee are seldom pretty , and rarely satisfy all involved. This plane really should be called the "Camel" in my opinion as we all know a Camel is a horse designed by committee.

But in it's defense , I'd like to point out that every single weapons system in at least the last 300 years has been sagely criticized by the press. You can read in the morgues of the London times editorials and letter of what a waste it is to purchase this "new fangled" musket (eventually called the "Brown Bess" that would serve England in some form for the better part of 150 years!).

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 6:32:16 PM   
KMCCARTHY

I'm ex grunt. While I have a friend who is a UMSC F-18 pilot, I have one thing to say. There is no way a F-35 can replace a A-10. The USAF is lying.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 6:44:01 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMCCARTHY

I'm ex grunt. While I have a friend who is a UMSC F-18 pilot, I have one thing to say. There is no way a F-35 can replace a A-10. The USAF is lying.

Nor did an F/A-18 replace a F-14. Nor did a F/A 18 replace a A-6. The argument that the powers that be advance isn't that these are the best planes for the Job. These are the most "flexible" and Affordable. You are a ex grunt. I'm an ex squid. We both know the meaning of "flexible" in Political speak. We term if "BOHICA".

(in reply to KMCCARTHY)
Post #: 6
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 6:44:41 PM   
Anachro

quote:

I'm not disputing you, but what is you or your friend's reasoning as to why?

< Message edited by Anachro -- 3/27/2016 6:45:27 PM >

(in reply to KMCCARTHY)
Post #: 7
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 6:53:30 PM   
KMCCARTHY

Sorry just background.

Maybe the F-35 only comes in at $300M a copy. Not enough range, payload or loiter.

In training,I've been hunted by an A-10. I cant speak to air-2-air but in this small slice of life I know what I'm talking about.

I will sign off this topic before I get banned.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 8
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 7:13:16 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

quote:

I'm not disputing you, but what is you or your friend's reasoning as to why?

The A-10 was designed to kill tanks and support infantry. The F-35 was designed to do the most jobs for the cheapest cost. It's Robert Strange McNamara's wettest dream.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 9
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 7:58:19 PM   
Anachro

Yes, from what I heard, and I am by no means an expert, the F-35 is a colossal mistake that seeks to do too much and fails in all roles as a result. But I don't pay much attention to these things. The Flying Fortress was criticized as a failure, waste of money prior to WW2.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 10
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/27/2016 8:19:10 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Yes, from what I heard, and I am by no means an expert, the F-35 is a colossal mistake that seeks to do too much and fails in all roles as a result. But I don't pay much attention to these things. The Flying Fortress was criticized as a failure, waste of money prior to WW2.

EVERY weapons system was criticized by the press. I the only criticism that matters in my mind at least, is that of the military units using it. And they have a long , proud history of making whatever crap they are given Work.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 11
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/28/2016 3:34:51 PM   
tiemanjw

just getting really nit-picky here... Northrop did not compete against the F35. Boeing produced the X-32 (presumably would have become the F-32 had they won) to compete against Lockheed. It very may well have lost based on looks alone. Of course this doesn't change your main point... there was competition.
Northrop did compete against Lockheeds F22 (with the YF23).
There are currently 4 companies seriously competing for the next CV aircraft.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 12
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/28/2016 8:14:01 PM   
geofflambert

As lead contractor? And you mean to replace the F-35 or the Growler or what?

The Greyhound perhaps? Edit: Never mind, that's the V-22.

Hawkeye?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 3/28/2016 8:23:40 PM >

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 13
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/28/2016 8:44:24 PM   
tiemanjw

UCLASS, CBARS, Stingray... whatever the heck they are calling it this week.

Northrop, Boeing, Lockheed, General Atomics are the competing primes.

Post #: 14
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/28/2016 9:03:50 PM   
geofflambert

If General Atomics is bidding as a prime, we're talking drone, right?

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 15
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/28/2016 10:40:10 PM   
tiemanjw

yes

a couple of recent news articles:
http://news.usni.org/2016/02/01/pentagon-to-navy-convert-uclass-program-into-unmanned-aerial-tanker-accelerate-f-35-development-buy-more-super-hornets
http://news.usni.org/2016/02/27/navy-pushing-new-name-for-unmanned-aerial-tanker-raq-25-stingray

Post #: 16
RE: OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? - 3/29/2016 7:19:22 PM   
geofflambert

If you ask me (and nobody is) that aerial refueling drone should be operated from a ship specifically made for that (which could perhaps also operate some heli's for ASW) that would be part of the CVN flotilla. Less fuel taken from the CVN and less danger to the CVN.

Just take whatever ships you're retiring, slap a hangar deck and a flight deck on them, refurbish and go.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 3/29/2016 7:30:47 PM >

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT:Is the F-35 Worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI